PDA

View Full Version : Let’s talk power tools

jpmuscle
02-09-19, 22:44
Ok so looking to pick up some new cordless power tools. Basic stuff really drill, impact drill, etc.

But it would appear things have gotten really bougie in recent years with new offerings and whiz bang batteries and such. Typically I’ve always reached for Dewalt when I needed something but all the offerings from the likes of Milwaukee, Rigid, Makita, Dewalt, etc have made things pretty competitive.

I’m fine paying for quality and want to avoid hobby grade equipment. But I don’t know enough about who offers what with respect to warranties, battery life, power outputs, system integration, etc. If I’m going to be buying into a system essentially I want it to be the right one.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adrenaline_6
02-09-19, 22:52
The bottom line is there are really only a few companies that make cordless tools. I personally go with Makita. They make their own tools and that is all they make. Their designs are always copied which is a tell tale sign of great products.

Here are the tool manufacturers brand umbrella:

The newer brushless motor design is the way to go.

RobertTheTexan
02-09-19, 22:55
Lowest end I buy is Rigid. If you register the tool as soon as you buy it, the tool will carry a lifetime warranty. I’ve got a Rigid “sawzall” and an 18v still. Both have impressed me for the price point. For a real Sawzall, I only buy Milwaukee. For a higher end cordless or screw gun I buy Dewalt. Makita is also a good brand, but keep in mind most companies are making “budget” tools to compete with the Skill, Rigid and Lowe’s brand whatever that is, I can’t recall. For a circular saw. I stick to a the Skilsaw. There are other brands, but man I’ve used that thing for years.

Read the reviews. And realize the difference between home trade and contractor grade can be a sizable jump.

223to45
02-09-19, 23:16
For the most part the newer batteries are. great. Get a lot of use per charge.

I can only talk about Snap-On, but been using same batteries since 2014. And they get used everyday.

Was a really big fan of Makita back in the day, when they were made in Japan, but they dont seem the same any more.

I would normally still choose them over the other commercial brands mainly due to ergonomics and balance.

I recently bought a Dewalt 3/8 impact to use on the Sprint Car. Horrible , wont even remove a 9/16" nut on the front wheel.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

NWPilgrim
02-10-19, 00:51
Milwaukee all the way!
About the toughest of the commonly available and priced lines. Good selection of tools in both 12V and 18V. Good selection of battery capacities such as 2Ah - 12Ah in 18v. Unlike DeWalt, the battery connectors for both lines have stayed the same through NiCad and three generations of lithium. Some lower cost brushed motor tools but most are the high performance brushless motors. Unlike Makita they have always had built in high temp protection. I burned out a Makita drill, and then two years ago on a job site saw a young man do the exact same with his Makita drill. Killed both the 18V battery and the drill. I have heavily abused my Milwaukee tools and never had an overheat condition, drop in performance or break. While some brands keep upping the voltage to increase performance, Milwaukee finds ways to stick with 18V and still be a top performer by increasing battery capacity. For instance their 1/2” High Torque impact wrench is an absolute power monster using 18V batteries.

I’ve owned Makita and DeWalt cordless tools, but have got rid of them and only buy Milwaukee now. I like some DeWalt corded tools (contractor saw, miter saw), but for cordless it is all Milwaukee.

jpmuscle
02-10-19, 01:12
Yea I saw the Milwaukee impact you mentioned and it’s like 750 ft lbs or something crazy.

Milwaukee seems to be at the top of the pack it seems

Bulletdog
02-10-19, 01:53
I've tried multiple brands. I keep coming back to Makita for this. They sell a drill/impact drill double kit and I love them. Brushless motors and lipo batteries, are the way to go, but even the brushed motor and NiMh battery versions are good to go.

I build a lot of stuff out of plywood and 2x4s on my ranch and I never wear the Makitas out. I wore out batteries during the old NiCad days, and I replaced some older models when they invented the keyless chucks, but I still have the older ones and they work great. I keep buying additional sets. One for home, one for work, etc.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-10-19, 02:55
I buyMilwaukee only (for battery tools) after learning some hard lessons on lesser tools. I've got a hammer drill, impact driver, impact wrench, sawzall, circular saw, weed eater, hedge trimmer, and the list goes on.

I have a Dewalt miter saw, a Bosch router, and a few others that work just fine. But, my battery powered tools are Milwaukee.

Outlander Systems
02-10-19, 06:55
List of problems I’ve had with Dewalt:

1)

FlyingHunter
02-10-19, 07:16
Another vote for Milwaukee. My late brother made his living with power tools and that's the only brand he used. While I'm sure their are other excellent brands, I've never been disappointed with Milwaukee.

Travelingchild
02-10-19, 07:26
Bosch 18 volt, drill, impact driver, hammer drill, etc.
Bosch 10/12 volt for cabinetry work

Currently trying Milwaulkee 18 volt, drill drive, probably pick up the 18 volt cordless table saw & Sliding compound miter after they've been out a bit..

Thought about hilti & festool Those lines is about as high end commercial use as one can get..

Way overkill for the even the average construction worker,
I do have a corded Hilti drywall driver & every time i have it at a job site the drywalls want to try it, It's almost disappeared multiple times.
Same with my corded Festool stuff,,

I suggest handling as many as possible due to different ergonomic handle angles...& the "feel" of the tool for you as the user, Which the different ah capacity batteries will change the "feel" of.
If I'm doing a project for any length of time which requiries, me to have it on me, I prefer several 2ah batteries ready to go vs one big 6ah battery in the tool especially if I'm working over head.

Adrenaline_6
02-10-19, 07:32
What you buy will also depend on your future needs, if any. Check the manufacturer tool line up.

I like Makita not only because of the quality and ergos but the amount of tools they offer.

I have an old 1st gen (non brushless motor) 18v lithium battery hammer drill that imho needs replacing, it's been abused way past usual replacement time, but still works well enough and since I no longer work out in the field and have other tools , it avoids the graveyard.

I also owns their 1st gen 18v lithium sawzall, circular saw, along with their rotary hammer drill - rotary hammers are the way to go if drilling concrete, especially reinforced concrete. What takes a hammer drill minutes will take a rotary hammer seconds, and much quieter too.

I have their 1/2" impact driver - the light duty, not the heavy duty. It can change tires on all but the overtorqued wheels and everything in between.

I own a brushless 18v impact driver. Love it, although I bought it when their batteries were still 3.0Ah, now they are up to 5.0Ah batteries and last much longer.

I own their 12v sub compact set that does all the little things well and can fit in the small cramped spaces that full size tools can't.

All in all, get what you like. Most users won't need the heavy duty stuff anyway, if you are one of the few that do, Makita or Milwaukee will do you just fine. They keep leapfrogging each other as they release new versions of their tools as far as torque and battery capacity. The only determining factor is diversity. Makita has way more types of tools if you are in "the industry" requiring them. Other than that, you will be happy with either.

GH41
02-10-19, 07:36
As a professional I have bought and used most of the major brands for the last 45 years. Most professionals look at hand tools as being disposable. When you are billing $60-$90 an hour repairing tools isn't an option. We buy different tools for different reasons and cost isn't one of them. My favorite compound miter saw is a 12" Dewalt that is probably 25 years old but it weighs a ton. My 10" Hitachi weighs half as much and gets used the most because of it. I have a Makita 1/2" impact wrench, 3/8" corded drill, side arm grinder and router that are all over 20 years old. Same with Porter Cable circular saws, Milwaukee sawzall and hammer drill. My favorite nail guns are Hitachi. The only battery tools I buy are Hitachi drills and impact drivers. The average guy will be satisfied any of the established brands of battery tools.

Hmac
02-10-19, 09:28
Threads like this, whether it's guns, knives, or power tools, generally only return personal anecdotes regarding personal preference. The reality is that there is likely NO consistent objective difference in quality between the Milwaukees, DeWalts, Makitas, Rigids, and maybe Porter-Cables. I do believe that with most tools, Snap-On and Mac Tools might be a cut above but I'm suspicious of the cost-efficiency. I've owned or own all of those brands over the years and although I'm pretty much locked into the Milwaukee 18v battery infrastructure, I have no problem or concern buying any of those brands and would readily do so if the feature set indicated that it made sense. I would have no concern for quality differences.

GH41
02-10-19, 10:14
Threads like this, whether it's guns, knives, or power tools, generally only return personal anecdotes regarding personal preference. The reality is that there is likely NO consistent objective difference in quality between the Milwaukees, DeWalts, Makitas, Rigids, and maybe Porter-Cables. I do believe that with most tools, Snap-On and Mac Tools might be a cut above but I'm suspicious of the cost-efficiency. I've owned or own all of those brands over the years and although I'm pretty much locked into the Milwaukee 18v battery infrastructure, I have no problem or concern buying any of those brands and would readily do so if the feature set indicated that it made sense. I would have no concern for quality differences.

I agree. I suspect the quality of Snap-On and Mac tools has much to do with the fact that most of them sold off of the truck are financed. It would be hard to collect payments if the tool doesn't work. They make good stuff but the average homeowner isn't going pay the price.

Outlander Systems
02-10-19, 10:16
Gospel.

I think we can all agree that HMAC is right on the money in this post, and also that Chinese Craftsman tools =/= American Craftsman tools.

MegademiC
02-10-19, 10:52
Yea I saw the Milwaukee impact you mentioned and it’s like 750 ft lbs or something crazy.

Milwaukee seems to be at the top of the pack it seems

Based on experience in an industrial maintenance setting- Milwaukee or DeWalt and stadardize so you can share batteries. Stick with 18v if using Milwaukee, 20v for DeWalt.

Hilti if you want really good stuff but overkill for house work IMO. We have 15yr old hilti stuff that still works like new.

Brushless motors are nice if you dont mind the price.

As said, not sure you can go wrong with pro-grade stuff from the established brands, just stay away from the house-grade stuff. Im recommending what we’ve had good experience with. Someone bought a home-grade grinder (want to say porta cable but dont remember for sure) that only made it 6 months.

daddyusmaximus
02-10-19, 11:25
I'm just a homeowner that uses tools to build stuff. I buy what fit's my hand well, and if I like the balance of it, or the features. I think any of the modern brands are pretty well comparable.

What's on sale this week?

That said, I like DeWalt, Makita, and Milwaukee. I only have one Bosch, and have more DeWalt than anything else.

flenna
02-10-19, 15:31
I worked with a guy that was a plant manager for Milwaukee before they shut it down and moved it to China. A while after the move he went to the plant in China and they were making Milwaukee and DeWalt in the same building with the assembly lines side by side. He said other than the color he couldn't tell the between between the two.

NWPilgrim
02-10-19, 15:56
Yeah unfortunately if you want a cordless drill under $500 then it will be made in China, regardless of brand. If anyone knows otherwise I am eager to know of options.

DeWalt and Milwaukee obviously have some differences in construction since they have different voltages, different battery connections and battery packs, and have different grips, LED placement, etc. They may or may not be made in the same factory using similar parts but I would bet they are different designs and specs.

Quality wise I think either is good but I got tired of DeWalt changing battery voltages (12, 14, 18, 20, and now 20/40 Flex) connectors and sizes while Milwaukee and Makita maintained the outward designs yet were faster to release Li-ion and then new generations of it in the same 12V and 18V packages. No way at all that DeWalt uses the same battery specs as either of those two, so I doubt the same motors either.

I agree on the job site tools are more disposable. They get lost, grow legs or smashed up so you don’t really want to take anything out that you value too much. But most sites I have been on you see a few Ryobi, Rigid, and other brands but see a LOT of Milwaukee, DeWalt, Makita (less lately than a few years ago) and Hitachi. They are in the sweet spot of durable enough to not break down too often yet still affordable.

For the homeowner if you use it infrequently then it doesn’t much matter, get what has the features you like. But if you plan to eventually get a whole line for frequent use based on a brand of batteries and chargers then you probably want to get one of the top quality brands mentioned above.

Corded and pneumatic tools make much less difference sticking to one brand and I buy whatever seems best fit and quality for that specific tool and price point.

officerX
02-10-19, 20:49
List of problems I’ve had with Dewalt:

1)

Same. I have drills/drivers, impact, circular saw, jig saw, angle grinder and could be happier.

My iPhone XS Max is better than your android!

soulezoo
02-10-19, 21:23
Hilti, then everything else. Seriously.
If that isn't in the cards for the price, then Milwaukee.

However, I have been really impressed with the Kobalt line of late. Brushless motors too.

Ryno12
02-10-19, 22:53
The company I work for has a shop of 45+ maintenance guys and they all share the same tools out of the tool crib. For several years we exclusively bought DeWalt power tools. They were used and abused and had to be replaced or repaired on average every 6-12 months, main problem being the clutches or gearboxes.
About 5-6 years ago we transitioned over to Milwaukee power tools. Difference is night and day & breakdowns have basically become nonexistent.

Not-so-coincidently, every, and I mean EVERY, outside contractor that comes into our facility exclusively uses Milwaukee tools. Whether they are plumbers, electricians, HVAC, or general contractors, they all use Milwaukee tools. That speaks volumes to me.
I’ve personally owned & used many brands of power tools & I see a difference in quality. My personal collection of tools is now black and red.

AKDoug
02-10-19, 23:15
I sell Milwaukee, Makita, and Dewalt in my hardware store. We have a rental department and I gave them Dewalts to maintain their tools, and we rent them as well. Zero issues. My Stihl shop uses Makita tools, just a drill and an 1/4 drive impact. Zero Issues. My truck repair shop uses Milwaukee. Zero Issues. As a homeowner, even if you use them every day, it is tough to go wrong with any of these brands.

I have purchased one of Milwaukee's new "Surge" 1/4 drive impacts for my personal use (and in the truck shop)... and it is a complete BEAST. It's a good thing it has 1 through 3 power settings as it will snap off 1/4" bolts with ease. It's also quieter than most other impacts. It's an excellent tool.

One of my buddies is an A&P for a major airline. Their entire maintenance shop is Milwaukee.

Coal Dragger
02-10-19, 23:53
I’ve had one failure with a Dewalt cordless drill, I burned the brushes out driving one too many deck screws. My other Dewalt corded hammer drill is a freaking beast though.

I own a Makita circular saw, and reciprocal saw both have been excellent, both are corded.

My current cordless drill is a Bosch and I like it a lot. Also have a Bosch oscillating tool, that I absolutely love.

I’ve used a bunch of Milwaukee cordless masonry drills and burned them up, the hammering mechanisms didn’t last drilling into chert underground in a cave. Nothing would. All of those were basically disposable, although for normal drilling they still worked as intended. For that job a corded heavy duty masonry drill would have been better performing, but was impractical to get into the cave where we needed them.

Adrenaline_6
02-11-19, 08:12
I’ve used a bunch of Milwaukee cordless masonry drills and burned them up, the hammering mechanisms didn’t last drilling into chert underground in a cave. Nothing would. All of those were basically disposable, although for normal drilling they still worked as intended. For that job a corded heavy duty masonry drill would have been better performing, but was impractical to get into the cave where we needed them.

Were they hammer drills or rotary hammers?

jpmuscle
02-11-19, 16:14
Good stuff y’all. Much appreciated

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-11-19, 16:27
One more thing:

My father in law owns a very busy drywall company. They use Dewalt because they get a good deal on their corporate account at Lowes. He said theyb replace them often as they constantly burn out. His personal tool collection is made up of Milwaukee, which is what sold me on them in the first place.

Arik
02-11-19, 16:39
It's just going to depend on how much you'll end up using it. I have a ton of tools for home and car and it's a mix of Harbor Freight and random name brands. I have 2 cordless drills that I've had for over 15 years. None of my tools have ever broken BUT....im not a carpenter or a mechanic. I use them when something needs to be fixed and in my comfort zone/knowledge base. I'm not going to put on a new roof but I will do flooring and tile. So I'm fine with a $10 tool, knowing full well that it's a junker but will probably last long enough for me to misplace it or forget I have it

I would LOVE to have quality tools I just don't use them enough to justify the price

hotrodder636
02-11-19, 17:45
I recently purchased a 6 tool kit of Rigid. I have heard good things about them from friends who use tools much more than I do. For my use and purposes I chose not to justify the price of Makita, Milwaukee and even Hilti (use a lot of these at my work). I am pleased so far with the Rigid which use LiOn batteries...huge improvement over my NiMH DeWalt stuff from 2005 (replaced the batteries several times).

GH41
02-11-19, 18:47
It's just going to depend on how much you'll end up using it. I have a ton of tools for home and car and it's a mix of Harbor Freight and random name brands. I have 2 cordless drills that I've had for over 15 years. None of my tools have ever broken BUT....im not a carpenter or a mechanic. I use them when something needs to be fixed and in my comfort zone/knowledge base. I'm not going to put on a new roof but I will do flooring and tile. So I'm fine with a $10 tool, knowing full well that it's a junker but will probably last long enough for me to misplace it or forget I have it

I would LOVE to have quality tools I just don't use them enough to justify the price

I have never bought anything from harbor freight that was worth more than half of what I paid for it. Tell us about these cordless drills that you have had for over 15 years. Have you ever used them. I smell BS.

Arik
02-11-19, 19:18
I have never bought anything from harbor freight that was worth more than half of what I paid for it. Tell us about these cordless drills that you have had for over 15 years. Have you ever used them. I smell BS.Reading comprehension fail? I said I have a harbor freight AND random name brands. The key word there was AND!

Having said that I have no idea the name of the drills. I'd have to go look for them. Neither did I say I use them daily. In fact I'm pretty sure I mentioned that I use them only WHEN something needs fixing! Last time I remember using one of the drills was a year and a half ago when helping my sister move. So in 15 years is it possible to use a product 6 - 12 times without breaking it?

Coal Dragger
02-11-19, 19:28
Were they hammer drills or rotary hammers?

Hammer drills. We were using them because they were the tool we could easily get into the work space, not because it was the ideal tool for drilling into hard rock all day.

We also cooked masonry drill bits like it was going out of style.

Adrenaline_6
02-11-19, 20:07
Hammer drills. We were using them because they were the tool we could easily get into the work space, not because it was the ideal tool for drilling into hard rock all day.

We also cooked masonry drill bits like it was going out of style.

Got ya. Yup, hammer drills are for the small stuff like Tapcons and stuff. Not surprised they burned up. Rotary hammers with sds and sds max bits with the 4 carbide edges are the way to go for real concrete and stone drilling.

Ryno12
02-11-19, 20:10
Got ya. Yup, hammer drills are for the small stuff like Tapcons and stuff. Not surprised they burned up. Rotary hammers with sds and sds max bits with the 4 carbide edges are the way to go for real concrete and stone drilling.

Yep, can’t blame the tool when it’s the wrong one for the job.

titsonritz
02-11-19, 20:34
This is a very timely thread, I've been wanting to buy a nice cordless drill for myself. Back when I was slamming nails for a living I always bought Milwaukee power but wanted to check other options as that was many moons ago, it's good to see they are still well regarded.

Ryno12
02-11-19, 20:38
I have never bought anything from harbor freight that was worth more than half of what I paid for it. Tell us about these cordless drills that you have had for over 15 years. Have you ever used them. I smell BS.

I have a family member that continually buys cheap power tools just to save a buck. He has the mentality that he can buy 15 cheap versions for the price of one quality tool. One time as a gift, he bought me a HF angle grinder. Not being a total dick, I just smiled & said thanks & threw it in my garage. About a week later I had a project where I needed to use one. I thought “ugh”, I didn’t want to even plug this POS in, but it was a quick 30 second grind... or so I thought.
About 10 seconds into it, the grinding wheel flies off. I thought “that figures”. Maybe the nut just wasn’t tight. So I put the wheel back on reef the nut tight. About 15 seconds into the second go at it, the wheel flies off again, hits the wall in front of me, ricochets back at me & hits me square between the eyes. Thankfully I had safety glasses on.
I unplugged to POS & threw it right into the garbage. This reenforced what I already knew.

So yeah, even if you only use a tool three times a year, it needs to work.

titsonritz
02-11-19, 21:16
I have a family member that continually buys cheap power tools just to save a buck. He has the mentality that he can buy 15 cheap versions for the price of one quality tool. One time as a gift, he bought me a HF angle grinder. Not being a total dick, I just smiled & said thanks & threw it in my garage. About a week later I had a project where I needed to use one. I thought “ugh”, I didn’t want to even plug this POS in, but it was a quick 30 second grind... or so I thought.
About 10 seconds into it, the grinding wheel flies off. I thought “that figures”. Maybe the nut just wasn’t tight. So I put the wheel back on reef the nut tight. About 15 seconds into the second go at it, the wheel flies off again, hits the wall in front of me, ricochets back at me & hits me square between the eyes. Thankfully I had safety glasses on.
I unplugged to POS & threw it right into the garbage. This reenforced what I already knew.

So yeah, even if you only use a tool three times a year, it needs to work.

**** that place, I'll never spend another dime there. I'd rather just put my cash in a pile and burn and save myself the aggravation.

Ryno12
02-11-19, 21:44
**** that place, I'll never spend another dime there. I'd rather just put my cash in a pile and burn and save myself the aggravation.

I’m sure their moving blankets are probably ok. [emoji3]
Believe it or not, I’ve actually been reading a lot of good reviews about their generators & their knockoff Pelican cases.

Hmac
02-11-19, 23:40

By the same token, Bushmaster ought to be more than good enough to have in your gun safe along with a HiPoint for the occasional problem inside 25 yards. Good enough for the non-professional, right?

26 Inf
02-12-19, 00:14
I’m sure their moving blankets are probably ok. [emoji3]
Believe it or not, I’ve actually been reading a lot of good reviews about their generators & their knockoff Pelican cases.

I have to admit I go into HF on a regular basis - I find them pretty good for stuff like hex keys and for trying stuff you really don't know if you want to sink a fortune into - I bought my first bead blaster and air brush compressor to apply MolyResin from HF.

I've also prepped over 2 tons of brass using a HF concrete mixer which I originally bought to lay down the sidewalks to the garage and back shop. I run the brass 5 gallon buckets to the load for 3 hours a shot.

HF tools can be pretty cost effective if you keep to the simple stuff.

Arik
02-12-19, 06:53
By the same token, Bushmaster ought to be more than good enough to have in your gun safe along with a HiPoint for the occasional problem inside 25 yards. Good enough for the non-professional, right?Probably why the avg person doesn't see a difference...yes! However, my life doesn't depend on a power tool. If I need to drill a hole in the wall to hang something it has no bearing on my life. Same reason why I don't buy $200 pens, instead cheap bulk pack for $10.

If we're comparing rifles directly to power tools.....in 2006 when I bought my house I bought a bunch of power tools to install my own flooring. Table saw, miter saw, and a couple others. Took me a couple weeks to the job. A little bit after work and all the weekends. Saws were used only when it I was putting the boards down around the walls. Since then I haven't touched them. Haven't needed too. That would be the equivalent of buying a Bushmaster, using for a weekend or two and not touching it again for 13 years?!? In that case a Bushmaster and a HiPoint is more than good enough.

That's why I said....it depends on how often you're going to use it

GH41
02-12-19, 07:48
Reading comprehension fail? I said I have a harbor freight AND random name brands. The key word there was AND!

Having said that I have no idea the name of the drills. I'd have to go look for them. Neither did I say I use them daily. In fact I'm pretty sure I mentioned that I use them only WHEN something needs fixing! Last time I remember using one of the drills was a year and a half ago when helping my sister move. So in 15 years is it possible to use a product 6 - 12 times without breaking it?

You are correct.. I missed "AND". Sorry. If you run across the drills that are 15 years old and still working let us know. I have never worn out a cordless tool but I have never seen a battery hold up that long.

Adrenaline_6
02-12-19, 07:56
HF is also good for the small disposable stuff like step bits and drill bits. If you are drilling stuff like poured concrete door frames, the concrete will eat your good bits up, but who cares if you burn these up, they are cheap.

Now I do own a set of quality German made cobalt drill set and step-bit set from RUKO. Very nice. The spiral fluted cobalt step-bits are excellent!

Adrenaline_6
02-12-19, 08:17
You are correct.. I missed "AND". Sorry. If you run across the drills that are 15 years old and still working let us know. I have never worn out a cordless tool but I have never seen a battery hold up that long.

My 1st Gen Makita Li-ion hammer drill is going on about 13 years now. This thing was abused because I used it for work ( I am talking drilling 1/2 to 3/4 inch holes in concrete, over 1' deep - I killed this thing). The gearbox had to be replaced in the 1st year on a factory design issue, no charge to me, but I know for a fact that the repeated concrete drilling is what really broke it (or sped up the design issue). The chuck works but doesn't click in to place like it used to, the replaced gearbox I can tell isn't what it used to be, but I can do any ordinary things around the house. I wont use it for hammer drill use anymore, that would be asking too much and speed up its inevitable demise. I have their cordless rotary hammer for that anyway. Way faster and less noisy (no high pitch scream). The newer model drills don't have the 3 speeds like this old one does, it had a really low and a very fast high. Maybe that was the design problem they couldn't really get past so they went back to a 2 speed with the newer ones...lol.