PDA

View Full Version : Correct/ideal gas tube length for 11.5 bbl

whitey615
02-10-19, 18:45
Ballistic Advantage 11.5in Government profile barrel. I’m using a Geissele 9.5in MK14 rail and the gas black included with it. I have an Aero carbine length melonited gas tube for it, but am wondering if there is a better/more reliable length gas tube?

Thanks in advance

grizzman
02-10-19, 19:03
If the barrel has a gas port drilled for a carbine gas system, then a carbine length gas tube is the only solution that will work. An Aero tube, or roughly 15 other quality carbine gas tubes, should work fine.

I have no experience with gas tubes that have been Melonited, but I'd be surprised if they work any better than a standard Colt or BCM tube.

ggammell
02-10-19, 19:05
Maybe I’m reading this wrong. But the gas port on your barrel will determine the length of gas tube you should use. You can’t just decide to use a midlength tube on a barrel made for carbine gas length.

MegademiC
02-10-19, 22:07
Maybe I’m reading this wrong. But the gas port on your barrel will determine the length of gas tube you should use. You can’t just decide to use a midlength tube on a barrel made for carbine gas length.

This. Seema like a lot of people building ar’s lately that sound like they’ve never inspected one before, or understood the operation.

I dont think there is another legitimate option for an 11.5” 556 barrel other than carbine gas.