PDA

View Full Version : Why won't Magpul make different colored Pmags?

Uni-Vibe
02-10-19, 21:43
Seems like they used to make more colors. There was an orange one, and I think there was an Olive Drab one as well. I have one colored Pmag; I think they called it Foliage Green. think all you can get now is black and desert flat dark earth.

Magpul could make the things in any color: Orange, Purple, you name it.

In addition to being "cool," it would serve a purpose. You could load different loads into different colors.

Why not? Anybody know?

RHINOWSO
02-10-19, 21:55
Why won't Magpul make different colored Pmags?

They are in the business of making money, thats why.

If you need different colors, buy some Krylon or Aervoe spray paint

NWPilgrim
02-10-19, 22:00
I wish all firearms and tactical stuff was available in at least FDE and olive drab. Throw in desert tan and urban gray and you cover practically all environments with just four colors. Not sure why black ever became the tactical default since it is not very good for most environments. A dark grey would be more universal. Almost like 70 yr old Parkerizing...

Renegade04
02-10-19, 22:00
Most likely, they cut down on their color options due to more black and FDE PMAGs being used more than any other color. They used to offer OD Green, Foliage, and even UDE (Urban Dark Earth) for LaRue Tactical. At one time, they even offered Sand that could be dyed. The MAGPUL Ranger Plates are offered in a few different colors. You could use these to designate magazines with different ammo and/or different loads.

TexHill
02-10-19, 22:04
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?47928-Do-It-Yourself-Different-color-PMAGs-and-other-polymer-plastic-items

Reptilia
02-10-19, 22:27
This is probably the most common question Magpul receives. The simple answer is that adding colorant to plastics can weaken the material properties. In a part such as the MIAD Grip, or the CTR Stock where the part is already over-engineered and 2-10x stronger than it needs to be, that's not a problem - make whatever color you want. In a PMAG, however, where the strength properties of the polymer are more sensitive, adding colorant can be problematic. It's not quite that simple, as each individual color and % of colorant behaves differently than the next, as does each generation/iteration of polymer that Magpul develops, but you get the idea. This is literally at the molecular level of the polymer/colorant compound, certainly well above my level of understanding, but I can tell you for certain that Magpul is not simply ignoring the market when you ask for colors - there is a reason.

Uni-Vibe
02-11-19, 01:41
Interesting. Conor affects strength or longevity.

Buncheong
02-11-19, 03:00
I’ve bought some Coyote Brown Gen 3 Magpuls from my LGS. They’re nice!

dperdue
02-11-19, 03:31
I once worked in a plastic factory that made the plastics used in multiple industries for vacuum forming products. We charged considerably higher prices for certain colors just due to the fact that they had a higher scrap rate when the material was coming off the extruder. Something about the color added to the material, caused it to be less forgiving to minor changes in zone heat and such stuff. I don’t know the actual mechanics behind it, but I do know that certain colors were more difficult to produce the material to spec and the flaws weren’t always easily detected in the unformed raw product.

Bluto
02-11-19, 08:30
Ever buy PVC fencing? Brown costs twice as much as white or almond for exactly the reasons dperdue mentioned.

dwd1985
02-11-19, 08:30
I have seen tons of different Magpul colors over the years, but I think at this point they stopped making everything except black and FDE. I know for a fact they discontinued Olive Drab and I'm pretty sure foliage is gone too. They had the "sand" color for a bit in the Gen 3's, and since it was almost white, a lot of people used RIT dye to get them whatever color they want.

Reptilia
02-11-19, 10:32
I have seen tons of different Magpul colors over the years, but I think at this point they stopped making everything except black and FDE. I know for a fact they discontinued Olive Drab and I'm pretty sure foliage is gone too. They had the "sand" color for a bit in the Gen 3's, and since it was almost white, a lot of people used RIT dye to get them whatever color they want.

The "Sand" color was just Magpul polymer without any colorant, which is in theory its strongest state. That said, I am 110% confident that the MCT has passed every strength test with flying colors and is good to go.

mack7.62
02-11-19, 10:45
I seem to recall the MCT is stronger than black, I miss foliage and feel that it is a better shade of green than OD which is almost black. But I like MCT and am waiting on some other sizes in this color, whats up Magpul can we expect to see any 20's, 40's and 60's anytime soon?

Firefly
02-11-19, 10:50
because it is kinda lame

dwd1985
02-11-19, 11:38
I seem to recall the MCT is stronger than black, I miss foliage and feel that it is a better shade of green than OD which is almost black. But I like MCT and am waiting on some other sizes in this color, whats up Magpul can we expect to see any 20's, 40's and 60's anytime soon?

I would love if the 60's would come out in some new colors. I have two and they're great. Overly expensive, but still excellent.

ViniVidivici
02-11-19, 14:14
They have no reason to offer wierd colors, their mags sell fine as is.

As others have said, krylon is your friend.

Different color stips of tape around the bases is how I identify different loads.

jpmuscle
02-11-19, 14:18
Hello krylon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_Stormin_
02-11-19, 14:30
Different color stips of tape around the bases is how I identify different loads.

This works. I simply use different magazines for 300BLK (Lancers) than 556 (PMAGS). I have has zero issues with this plan. Only mags I keep loaded at all times can be swapped if needed (M193/M855) without too much issue on the range. That and the fact that the M855 stands out well with those green tips. Stuff like the Mk262 clones only gets loaded day of (or night before) I am heading to the range, and generally I am bringing a different rifle to shoot those anyway, usually with 20 round magazines.

The sand mags were great for coloring with Rit. Heck, the Foliage Green wasn't half bad at making browns and greys with the right dye combinations but I haven't dyed a magazine in at lest five years. MCT now will get the job done and Aervoe can make the black magazines look like anything. I have some sprayed magazines now easily coming up on a decade old that are holding the paint just fine, and there's always more for touch-ups if needed.

dwd1985
02-11-19, 14:35
They have no reason to offer wierd colors, their mags sell fine as is.

Well, they did make pink, FDE, foliage, OD Green, sand, coyote, various kryptek patterns, etc. Its more likely that they simply realized that they could get away with offering one or two colors, and discontinued the rest.

ViniVidivici
02-12-19, 07:42
Exactly.

3ACR_Scout
02-12-19, 12:29
Some of you probably missed one of the previous discussions about PMAG colors, but Duane from Magpul has shared quite a bit of info over the years about their polymer formula and colors. One of the recent discussions was associated with the announcement about their Medium Coyote Tan M3s (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?191507-Magpul-PMAG-M3-in-Medium-Coyote-Tan-coming-in-February-2017&p=2422936#post2422936). In short, the colors mags were more prone to breaking than black (not that they were weak, but just not as strong as black), so they stopped producing them. Then they introduced Sand, the natural color of the plastic, as someone already mentioned. Eventually, as Duane described in the post I linked above, they were able to create the Medium Coyote Tan color without affecting the strength of the plastic. I think they are still working on other colors but will only release them if they can confirm through testing that they are as strong as black or MCT.

Hmac
02-12-19, 12:41
I'm always intrigued by concern that people express for the cosmetics/colors of hammers, power tools, and firearms.

glocktogo
02-12-19, 12:53

Yeah, I have a half dozen Foliage PMags that match the foliage CTR, MOE+ grip and MOE handguard on my patrol rifle. We all know color matching the mags is completely unnecessary, but telling that to my mild case of OCD does little good. :(

This works. I simply use different magazines for 300BLK (Lancers) than 556 (PMAGS). I have has zero issues with this plan. Only mags I keep loaded at all times can be swapped if needed (M193/M855) without too much issue on the range. That and the fact that the M855 stands out well with those green tips. Stuff like the Mk262 clones only gets loaded day of (or night before) I am heading to the range, and generally I am bringing a different rifle to shoot those anyway, usually with 20 round magazines.

That's exactly what I do. My 5.56 mags are all PMags, my 6.8 are PRI steel and .300BLK are Lancer mags Krylon'd to a very close match with Magpul Stealth Gray (Anvil is the Krylon color IIRC?)

That way I can tell caliber by look and feel which is which.

glocktogo
02-12-19, 12:58
I'm always intrigued by concern that people express for the cosmetics/colors of hammers, power tools, and firearms.

Just be thankful that you're intrigued rather than afflicted! If I had a nickel for every time I've told myself "it doesn't really matter", I'd have a LOT of nickels. I can live with discord but peaceful, color matched harmony is just easier on the OCD afflicted psyche! :)

dwd1985
02-12-19, 13:34
That's exactly what I do. My 5.56 mags are all PMags, my 6.8 are PRI steel and .300BLK are Lancer mags Krylon'd to a very close match with Magpul Stealth Gray (Anvil is the Krylon color IIRC?)
That way I can tell caliber by look and feel which is which.

I did something similar, in that any mag can be a 5.56 mag (steel, aluminum, PMAG, Lancer translucent smoke, etc), but the only mags for my .300 Blackout are Lancer coyote brown mags, which match the furniture on the .300 black rifle.

SeriousStudent
02-12-19, 19:07
.... I can live with discord but peaceful, color matched harmony is just easier on the OCD afflicted psyche! :)

It's not OCD. It's really CDO - in its proper alphabetical order.

tarrantula
02-12-19, 20:13
How about some bright yellow "banana clips" muahaha

TexasAggie2005
02-13-19, 08:28
How about some bright yellow "banana clips" muahaha

I have a 40rd sand colored PMAG that was dyed yellow w/ Chiquita sticker, for shits and giggles.

https://imgur.com/YSNUIba.jpg

kirkland
02-13-19, 21:59
Seems like they used to make more colors. There was an orange one, and I think there was an Olive Drab one as well. I have one colored Pmag; I think they called it Foliage Green. think all you can get now is black and desert flat dark earth.

In addition to being "cool," it would serve a purpose. You could load different loads into different colors.

Why not? Anybody know?

I got a few white ones 👍

Jonnyt16
02-14-19, 22:01
Glad I bought a dozen or so OD Green ones and ranger plates when I did.

https://i.imgur.com/9jxQoZR.jpg?1

dlrflyer
02-15-19, 13:47
Actually, I really like the MCT color, I just wish MCT furniture was available.

0uTkAsT
02-15-19, 13:57
Actually, I really like the MCT color, I just wish MCT furniture was available.

Same.

pag23
02-17-19, 08:58
Glad I bought a dozen or so OD Green ones and ranger plates when I did.

https://i.imgur.com/9jxQoZR.jpg?1

I hear ya..I have a dozen or more OD green mags to match the stuff on my one rifle then I bought some OD Lancers as well. Going forward i will just break out the Krylon as it holds up on the USGI mags i have.

ST911
02-17-19, 09:11
Why not? Anybody know?

What Reptilia said, and...

Because a massive number of people have ideas about what manufacturers should offer, and a much smaller number actually put money on the counter when it's available.

ViniVidivici
02-17-19, 15:49
Yeah I'm findin' the black ones locally very cheap, 8 or 9 bucks each.

I paint 'em and number 'em all anyway.

lysander
02-17-19, 16:49

Why not? Anybody know?
There is something known as "spray paint".

RHINOWSO
02-17-19, 20:29
There is something known as "spray paint".

But that hurts resale when you:

(1) can't make rent
(2) can't pay for car repairs
(3) the wife / GF makes you sell $hit because you suck at budgeting
(4) change your AR stuff flavor of the month style to keep up with the cool kids.

People who shoot don't care.

opngrnd
02-17-19, 22:53
Don't remember where I heard it first, but I was told about the different colors affecting strength more than a few times. What I have certainly noticed is that all of the catastrophic PMAG failures I have seen were with colored ones, usually the original tan color.

Moose-Knuckle
02-18-19, 17:06

Why not? Anybody know?

3ACR Scout's post is chocked full of knowledge bombs.

But I ponder as to how much sales figures factor into keeping a particular color running or not. From a cost effective viewpoint standardization makes since and once the Gen M3 MCT mags were adopted by US MIL it's kind of a no-brainer. I assume the vast majority of LE customers opt for black. Several years ago the writing was on the wall for colors like FG, especially once the Army ditched ACU. Several online vendors dumped FG products to include PMAGs at ridiculously low prices. I always pick up mags when I find them $10 or under, I've never purchased mags to color coordinate with a firearm (kind of gay if you ask me).

I have OEM PMAGs in Orange (both windowed and non) Blue, OD, FG, FDE, Sand, Black, and now MCT.

NWPilgrim
02-18-19, 17:56
So WWII olive drab is going out of fashion now?! Say it ain’t so.

Moose-Knuckle
02-19-19, 01:33

I'm really glad RG (Ranger Green) is a thing. It's everything OD could have been but wasn't.

Now if we can just get Gen M3 PMAGs in RG.

Boba Fett v2
02-28-19, 14:23
Step 1: Find sand PMAGS
Step 2: Roll your own

Bakelite style. Make communism great again.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/9085/F1nBvr.jpg

RHINOWSO
02-28-19, 16:01
Magpul still likes money more than they like catering to fashionistas' who need to have OEM colored mags.

Because all they will hear is bitching that "it doesn't match, now everyone at the range will laugh at me".

Shoot more, play dress up barbie less.

Firefly
02-28-19, 16:29
Step 1: Find sand PMAGS
Step 2: Roll your own

Bakelite style. Make communism great again.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/9085/F1nBvr.jpg

You can’t have AOC, she is mine!!!!

(Sick setup. I too want that stock but am too lazy. For my M110K1 the ACS is good but my ECC I think it is a bit much)

Firefly
02-28-19, 16:30

OG-107 masterrace brah

Boba Fett v2
02-28-19, 17:10
You can’t have AOC, she is mine!!!!

(Sick setup. I too want that stock but am too lazy. For my M110K1 the ACS is good but my ECC I think it is a bit much)

I'm a longtime SOPMOD and STR fan, but the the SL-S has supplanted both as my new go-to. Keeping the ACS on the MWS though.

Firefly
02-28-19, 17:17
I'm a longtime SOPMOD and STR fan, but the the SL-S has supplanted both as my new go-to. Keeping the ACS on the MWS though.

Yep. I still even have A2 grip on mine. Dat SL-S doe.

I kinda like the green. I go pigging with my ECC. I use it more like a normal AR.

But my K1 homebrew is happier with the ACS.

Is that a 1-8 ATACR? I am saving my pennies for a mk8 with a 59 horus.

The ACS is kinda better than a SOPMOD but I like both.

Boba Fett v2
02-28-19, 18:10
Yep. I still even have A2 grip on mine. Dat SL-S doe.

I kinda like the green. I go pigging with my ECC. I use it more like a normal AR.

But my K1 homebrew is happier with the ACS.

Is that a 1-8 ATACR? I am saving my pennies for a mk8 with a 59 horus.

The ACS is kinda better than a SOPMOD but I like both.

Yes, it's a 1-8x ATACR. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions about it (just to avoid hijacking the thread). I ran it through Jack Leuba's Dual-Role Carbine Course a few weeks ago.

Diamondback
02-28-19, 21:14
I have a 40rd sand colored PMAG that was dyed yellow w/ Chiquita sticker, for shits and giggles.

https://imgur.com/YSNUIba.jpg

That reminds me of a shirt Magpul themselves used to sell, something about "Magpul Banana Clips"...

There was an article about the nuisances of plastic coloration in Finescale Modeler many years ago IIRC, clear plastics being the worst to get any structural strength out of. The best compromise I could see would be maybe keep Sand in production, and maybe every month do a different limited-edition "Mag Of The Month"... Hmm... Bacon, Banana, what else would be fun decoes?

TexasAggie2005
03-01-19, 06:45
That reminds me of a shirt Magpul themselves used to sell, something about "Magpul Banana Clips"...

https://www.magpul.com/products/magpul-fine-cotton-banana-clips-t-shirt?ProductColor=VO445

https://www.magpul.com/Files/Files/Images/Products/Apparel/MAG697/Gallery/NVY/MAG697-Navy.png?bgcolor=F5F5F5

Endur
03-01-19, 18:52
Nothing wrong with matching the furniture.. I just pick up the translucent black/grayish Lancer mags now and avoid it all together. Works with whatever furniture is on the rifle. I don't see colored furniture going anywhere, though I wish BCM would make OD/RG grips as my next build will be green. I hate FG. Using a tan one and krylon will suffice.

Buncheong
03-01-19, 23:13

Oh it’s true, it’s damn true.

Mjolnir
03-08-19, 15:56
They should make AI Mags, Circle K 5.56 Mags and 5.45x39 mags...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr. Bullseye
03-08-19, 17:01
The real reason Magpul has not made colored mags is not enough gay guys have requested them yet.

Kidding and couldn't help myself.

StevieJ309
03-09-19, 21:46
IIRC they stopped making other colors during the Sandy Hook panic so they could pump out more mags. They just never went back to offering them.

bambambam
03-10-19, 14:17
I just bought a couple of white pmags for my ak.they were priced lower than the black ones.

Iraqgunz
03-10-19, 21:00
Have you read Magpul's official position?

IIRC they stopped making other colors during the Sandy Hook panic so they could pump out more mags. They just never went back to offering them.

arbob
04-06-19, 11:31
As has been mentioned before, the dyes have different effects on the strength of the plastic. Black is usually the strongest . Medium Coyote Tan, FDE, whatever you want to call it was the 2nd most popular color. Between contract obligations to the USMC, and production capacity. I`m sure Magpul went with the decision that made the most fiscal sense.