PDA

View Full Version : I just walked off an 8 year job tonight. Advice needed.

Straight Shooter
02-11-19, 00:06
I literally walked out of my job tonight, 4 hours into a 12hour shift. Eight years of hot hell with THE WORST co-workers, and the absolute most mis-managed company Ive ever worked for or heard of. Without going into details that would fill an ATLAS SHRUGGED sized book on how terrible this place is..let me say I simply had had enough, and literally almost ran out after saying goodbye to what few friends I had there.
So- now, Im gonna take a little while to try to rid myself of the utter hatred & rage I have in my heart & mind & soul for the place and most of the people there. Gonna take a short vacay..somewhere. Pull some triggers a few days. Then...get busy living again.
So- here is my situation:
Im 54. Former Marine. VA eligible for care. Served from '83 to '87. Ive got enough money to pay all bills for about 4-5 months IF needed.
Im recently single, no kids. No technical education...worked in factories for years and drove OTR for 13 years...WHICH ILL NEVER DO AGAIN...EVER.
Been continuously employed over 40 years...no lazy ass here. Everything Ive done as a young boy untill a couple hours ago has been hard, hot manual labor with long hours. Have NEVER worked an 8 hour job...hell I wouldnt know how to act on just 8 hours.
Im wanting to do something different. Something to maybe help others. Id like to learn a new trade in...something. Im so damned beat down I dont even know what would make me happy anymore. Id like to improve myself and make a difference and actually be proud of what I do for once.
What VA monetary aid is available to me for trade schools? Any other gov. help I could qualify for for aid whilst learning a new trade? What areas for someone my age would you guys recommend I look into. As of tonight- Im once again, for about the 4th time..starting my life over again...AND IM NOT SCARED. I feel the Lord has led me here and I know He will help me as long as I do my part-He always has.
Gents- Im open to your ideas. Im in Madison Al , an area EXPLODING with jobs, and I might indeed take one just to get some kinda income coming in..BUT I WANT BETTER THAN THAT..what I descibed above...to matter..to make a difference...to help others...to get better educated.
So, my brothers in arms: IM ALL EARS.
Thank yall for letting me vent.

thopkins22
02-11-19, 00:14
I’ll be thinking of ideas...but let me be amongst the first to congratulate you. Life is too short to spend it doing things you hate, for people/a company you despise.

Others will no doubt know more about various programs that are available or whatever, but I’m a huge fan of stepping back, and changing your life. I do not believe that we have to fall into this “you’re however old and this is what you do, so this is what you’ll do forever” nonsense.

Honu
02-11-19, 00:19
not sure what your liv situation is own rent etc.. ?
I always lived in small places but I would look into some of the tiny home movement stuff ? if it could work :) if you own not sure what rental $ is like but rent your main place to make a bit and live very minimal and follow what you want to do
tiny home has some odd folks ? but some are OK it seems and just want to live more simple these days I think the overload of everything is getting to people

not sure how involved you are with churches ? but never to old to do mission work get some time away doing good etc.. ya never know what that might open up ? since ya mentioned helping others

I have kids but my empty nest goal will be to have a few rentals a tiny home maybe or just a nice mobile home sprinter conversion etc.. and just live with experience not things so much

hope things work out for ya soon as in figure out what your passion is follow it :)

edit to say I am 55 only time I had a job I had to have was when I was a kid my dad made me get a job :) learned I hated doing work for others and later in life bringing my wife into the country I hate immigration and they did not like what I did so I had to get a "Normal Job" for 3 years I freaking hate our gov workers like that !!! but I have always done what I wanted and never regret it
the old follow your passion work is work and it can kill some passions though ! but its worth doing IMHO

Straight Shooter
02-11-19, 00:28
I’ll be thinking of ideas...but let me be amongst the first to congratulate you. Life is too short to spend it doing things you hate, for people/a company you despise.

Others will no doubt know more about various programs that are available or whatever, but I’m a huge fan of stepping back, and changing your life. I do not believe that we have to fall into this “you’re however old and this is what you do, so this is what you’ll do forever” nonsense.

not sure what your liv situation is own rent etc.. ?
I always lived in small places but I would look into some of the tiny home movement stuff ? if it could work :) if you own not sure what rental $ is like but rent your main place to make a bit and live very minimal and follow what you want to do
tiny home has some odd folks ? but some are OK it seems and just want to live more simple these days I think the overload of everything is getting to people

not sure how involved you are with churches ? but never to old to do mission work get some time away doing good etc.. ya never know what that might open up ? since ya mentioned helping others

I have kids but my empty nest goal will be to have a few rentals a tiny home maybe or just a nice mobile home sprinter conversion etc.. and just live with experience not things so much

hope things work out for ya soon as in figure out what your passion is follow it :)

THANK YOU both so much. Very encouraging words indeed.
Honu- I currently rent. Its a bit too high, but lease isnt up util August. I too have looked into small, not tiny, but smaller places, as Im alone with no kids or pets. Yes, I fully intend to help at church more!!
Im just right now OVERWHELMED Im free of that damned place- and kinda excited at what possibilities are suggested here, and what I might find on my own. But- gonna lay low & quiet for a little while!

Coal Dragger
02-11-19, 01:20
Good luck man, sorry things didn’t work out at your last job.

Are you open to relocation?

SteyrAUG
02-11-19, 01:23
Here's a thought, who are the competitors of your former employer and would you consider working for them?

Straight Shooter
02-11-19, 01:28
Good luck man, sorry things didn’t work out at your last job.

Are you open to relocation?

Yes, actually gonna talk to a friend of mine out in around Tulsa, OK.

Straight Shooter
02-11-19, 01:36
Here's a thought, who are the competitors of your former employer and would you consider working for them?

HA! Great idea- except no one does it around here & I want as far away from it as possible...hopefully not go back into a factory again...HOPEFULLY.

SteyrAUG
02-11-19, 03:34
HA! Great idea- except no one does it around here & I want as far away from it as possible...hopefully not go back into a factory again...HOPEFULLY.

Gotcha. Well then make that veterans preference work for you. Find a nice .gov job where you get a desk, set hours and full benefits. You don't need to have gone to med school to work as a health care worker for vets. Lot's of "physical therapy assistant" kinds of positions.

Also don't be afraid to take on management positions, and I'm not talking Burger King. Tell prospective employers that your last gig kept dangling a supervisory position but it never happened so you got fed up and walked.

MAUSER202
02-11-19, 03:40

Glad to hear you said F it to stress and left it behind. To many don’t have the means, will or balls too. Kudos.
I have thought of this too, similar age but like my job and make close to double what I could make elsewhere. But could loose my job in 6 months to a year due to company restructure.
Have you thought about the medical field? You want to help people maybe an x ray tech ? I think the schooling takes about a year.

Good luck, stay grounded with church and friends.

NWPilgrim
02-11-19, 06:07
Congratulations on stepping out of hell! Life is too short and precious to waste on the abusive, stupid or ungrateful.

Talk to a community college counselor about jobs and training. They often have good relations with local trades and companies and training programs aligned with their needs. Many of the instructors are from those companies or retired from same. They also have a good idea where the jobs are and realistic pay expectations.

While the unionized trades may be difficult to get into at your age (just guessing) there are nonunion training programs for trades like mechanics. I know there is a dearth of commercial pilots. If you are in decent physical shape or can get into it the pilot schools cost about $30K, but some airlines will provide scholarships. Corporate shuttle pilots have a set route and pretty low stress job and make about $50k for copilot and $75 for aircraft captain.

Aircraft mechanics seem to have a pretty decent work environment and work around more professional people. Anything aviation is more professional and less BS than most other trade/labor jobs.

I would definitely consider downsizing every way possible. The less your fixed expenses the more choices you have.

Enjoy your new life!

AndyLate
02-11-19, 06:48
Life is too short to spend that much time at a job you can't stand, good for you!

Absolutely take a vacation and relax. Don't even look for work for two weeks - other than some relaxed networking among friends.

I'm your neighbor, so to speak, and there is a lot of work in the area. You also are not tied down and free to move now.

If you are rated at 30% disability or more, the VA will pay for trade school or college. You could potentially apprentice in electrician, plummer, HVAC if that interests you; either residence or commercial.

Andy

Arik
02-11-19, 07:13
Congrats! Sometimes jobs suck so much they leave no other option!

Not sure what your area in this field is like but how about medic. Last I remember schooling was like 6 months if part time. Obviously less if full time. Around here it doesn't pay bad and it's a foot in the door. Shifts vary depending on squad/department but even 12hr shifts are not constant work. It's rewarding and you get to help people!

Is there anything in your Marine service that can directly translate to civilian job?

jwfuhrman
02-11-19, 08:06
I walked away from a 10 year career in EMS last October. Sadly, I have zero skill set outside of that career field these days. Was just so fed up and stressed out. 24hr shifts, and only $12/hr just finally had me done. I’m not entirely sure I want to even look at other options in EMS or healthcare period. So far I’ve only found shit part time jobs. I’m trying to grow my gun business(hurray for growing it enough I can now be a forum dealer sponsor here!) so it can be my full time gig and just have a part time job for extra income.

GH41
02-11-19, 09:27
Downsize as much as possible so you can take a job you enjoy even if it doesn't pay well. I have a friend who is a park ranger at a local oceanfront national park. He spends his day on a fourwheeler warning beachgoers about riptides and jellyfish and telling campers to put their beer in a cup to keep out of trouble. He doesn't make much but he loves the outdoors and meets plenty of women. Moral of this story... Find something that lets you be happy.

ralph
02-11-19, 09:31
Congratulations on stepping out of hell! Life is too short and precious to waste on the abusive, stupid or ungrateful.

Talk to a community college counselor about jobs and training. They often have good relations with local trades and companies and training programs aligned with their needs. Many of the instructors are from those companies or retired from same. They also have a good idea where the jobs are and realistic pay expectations.

While the unionized trades may be difficult to get into at your age (just guessing) there are nonunion training programs for trades like mechanics. I know there is a dearth of commercial pilots. If you are in decent physical shape or can get into it the pilot schools cost about $30K, but some airlines will provide scholarships. Corporate shuttle pilots have a set route and pretty low stress job and make about $50k for copilot and $75 for aircraft captain.

Aircraft mechanics seem to have a pretty decent work environment and work around more professional people. Anything aviation is more professional and less BS than most other trade/labor jobs.

I would definitely consider downsizing every way possible. The less your fixed expenses the more choices you have.

Enjoy your new life!

The Union trades will take you as an apprentice, at that age, by law they can't discriminate because of age, I've seen apprentices in their late 40's... (I'm a retired union pipefitter, with 32yrs in the trade) but, the problem is, at the OP's age, due to his age, he'd never be able to get very much in the way of a pension. Sure, you could learn to weld, and hit the pipelines and make $150,000+ a year, but, in order to do that, you're going to be working 7-12's for months at a time, outside..rain, snow, whatever..Most likely working out of state, away from home.. The pipeline contractors are all the same, they have a job to get done, and it needed to be done yesterday..You'd literally be jumping back into the frying pan.. Looking back at the time I spent in the trade, sure, I had fun, and met an awful lot of good, honest people, and saw things that most people will never see. But there's better ways of making a living..And, if I had to do it over, I would'nt...

murphy j
02-11-19, 09:37
Yes, actually gonna talk to a friend of mine out in around Tulsa, OK.

I grew up outside of Tulsa, but make my home there now. It's great area with numerous outdoor sporting opportunities available. Firearms friendly and a generally good job market. If you're eligible for VA VocRehab, there's a couple great tech schools in the area. Tulsa Tech has a great machining program and Oklahoma State University of Technology has numerous programs from oil & gas to construction and everything in between.

Caduceus
02-11-19, 09:45
What have you done already? What jave you ruled out? What sort of salary are you looking for?

You said OTR, so that's out.

You said generic labor .... construction? Foundry? HVAC?

Personally, I'd take a month of salary and go around the world. School is in, so tourists are down and prices shiuld be cheaper.

Then come back, more relaxed and settled, and reeval where you want to be.

ralph
02-11-19, 09:48
Downsize as much as possible so you can take a job you enjoy even if it doesn't pay well. I have a friend who is a park ranger at a local oceanfront national park. He spends his day on a fourwheeler warning beachgoers about riptides and jellyfish and telling campers to put their beer in a cup to keep out of trouble. He doesn't make much but he loves the outdoors and meets plenty of women. Moral of this story... Find something that lets you be happy.

This^^^ Do a job that you love, and you'll never work again, One's mental health is much more important than how much you gross every year, The happiest day of my life was the last day of the last job I worked..It felt like a giant weight had been lifted off my shoulders, I walked away, and never looked back.. OP, maybe take a week or two off, relax, catch up on some things around the house, and think about what you'd like to do for a change...

TomMcC
02-11-19, 10:03
I always thought being CNC machinists was a cool sounding job, making things. I at one time thought being a gunsmith was a possibility, and CNC skills were kind of required. It's indoors and I think it pays fairly well. Don't know about training availability, and might be too factoryish for you.

BoringGuy45
02-11-19, 10:09
I left my job as a correctional officer last November. Had no job lined up, but I was miserable, in the worst physical shape of my life, constantly sick with respiratory ailments, and sick of working for people who, every time very legitimate complaints were raised, always responded with "If you don't like how we do things, there's the door!" People who stayed there either ended up getting fired for something stupid, or written up so many times for stupid things that no other job would hire them. Plus, this jail is notorious for badmouthing its employees to potential employers to ensure they can't go anywhere. I managed to stay a gray man: I was considered a solid CO and never got on anyone's radar in a bad way, and wasn't there long enough (about a year and a half) to get into that situation. Our rent had gone WAY up and we were unable to afford it anymore (and we were in one of the least expensive apartment complexes in the area) and my wife has a lot of student debt. Plus, we had a new baby and couldn't afford childcare for my wife to get a job (all of her paycheck would have gone to childcare, removing any benefit for her to work). The jail had no intention whatsoever of giving the officers a raise...in fact, they were demanding that we take a pay cut because, and I quote, "It doesn't take any more credentials to get your job than it does to get hired at Walmart. You're getting paid more than you're worth." So, we were left with the choice of me staying in this miserable shit hole and us moving in with my wife's parents, which we didn't want to do because they can be hard to live with, or me quitting the job and us moving out of state to live with my parents, who were already loaning us money to help us make ends meet (and who are very easy to live with). So, with my parents' encouragement, we did the latter.

Now I am SO much happier! I'm eating better, sleeping better, I've lost 25 pounds and counting, and there are so many more fulfilling job opportunities up here. Admittedly, I've yet to get full time employment, but unlike where I was, the opportunities are here. They weren't even available where I was. I would have been stuck in that God-forsaken jail forever.

You did the right thing. Life is too short for to have the attitude that "life sucks, so pick a miserable job and do it till you die with regret like a good American." Find something that makes you happy and fulfilled. Plus, miserable workplaces need to be sent a message that if they mistreat their employees, they're going to lose them.

Firefly
02-11-19, 10:49
The only thing I would have done different is wait until the end of shift, look him in the eye and calmly state "I no longer offer my services and time to this company under your supervision", offer a letter of resignation, turn in whatever, and go.

Because somebody probably had to pick up your slack and walking off is poor form and creates drama.

Other than that, you do you. Don't let a day define you.

You have to look after yourself. A job is just to make money. Period. And like others say if you clear cost of living and can enjoy your downtime then do it.

I live like a king by being cheap, sticking to a budget, keeping slush funds, and not caring what people think.

I had some dude say "Man you needs a new car yo. You needs some new new"

okay, why?

"Because it 2019, my boy. I got my new new"

Aaand you got a car note.

I don't. I don't answer to anybody. You should have, by this point, gotten to where people may be able to name you but they cannot shame you.

titsonritz
02-11-19, 11:03
I'll be 53 next month, my kids are long grown and gone, I'm divorced (thank God that bullshit is over too). I've flipped the bird and walk off a few jobs, not once have I regretted it, not once. You basically spend a third of your life at work, that is too much time to be miserable. I remember having dreams/nightmares about work and waking up pissed off just to go that hellhole. **** that shit, never again. So I say to you congratulations on your escape, I'm certain you'll not regret it either.

Maybe it is time for a straight 8 hour a day job, even an office job. Look into AutoCAD, CAD/CAM, often times you can find a job that your past work experience is a big plus. There can opportunity be to work remotely, on your own schedule.

Honu mentioned a tiny house, eight years ago I bought a little motorhome and have been cruising around in it seeing much of this beautiful country. Every time I think of getting a place and putting down roots, it always comes back to hell with that, I love how I live too much. Maybe someday I'll pick up a little piece of dirt, throw a tiny home on it and park the RV, but I'd bet I'll end buy another newer motorhome before that happens.

Best of wishes in your new life, that possibilities are truly endless.

Firefly
02-11-19, 11:11
titsonritz

if you aren't bedding hippie chicks and solving crimes then you are doing it wrong

Thats the new American dream as I see it. Wandering around in an RV, bedding hippie chicks, and solving crimes.

......someday......

Norseman
02-11-19, 12:06
Your in a good place OP, even if initially it looks otherwise.

To mirror what others have said, there is nothing, work wise, that is worth being miserable over. Fast track to an early grave and in my opinion our optics as a society are skewed on this topic.

I, like many here, have been where you are now.

Do yourself a favor, take as much time as you can physically and financially afford. Sleep late, go fishing, shoot some guns, take a road trip, or whatever. Get yourself "clean" from the baggage of what you walked away from. Then take a look at your next move.

Consolidate and trim the fat out of your life, even if you don't need to financially. There is a lot to be said for a simple life with less things and input. Volunteer at church, a hospital, or whatever, it's good for the soul and can open up possibilities that might not have been thought of otherwise.

Then when you are ready to jump back in the work force, you set the parameters. Pick something you want to go after, money be damned, and go after it. Would you rather make $30k a year and be happy or $100k a year and be miserable? Some of the most miserable people to be around in my life were the ones that put career ahead of living and only have a bunch of crap to show for it.

View this as an opportunity and not a set back.

FlyingHunter
02-11-19, 12:23
Here's my advice my friend. Stop thinking about what's next and make no decisions x 2 weeks. Relax, travel, do something you've always wished you had the time to experience. After 2+ weeks, you will have a new perspective. Then get out the legal pad, pro on one side, con on the other, and weigh and balance your choices. Prayers up for you.

BIGUGLY
02-11-19, 13:28
if funds get scarce and you still have your class A license then there is a lot of driving jobs that need filled. Would probably be able to pick and choose some that would get you home every night and more local than over the road. Would be decent short term fix.

rero360
02-11-19, 13:35
if you have a rating with the VA, look into Vocational Rehab, they will pay you to attend training, college or a tech school to get started on a new path. They also help with starting businesses and offer a few other services.

Rogue556
02-11-19, 15:03
I can definitely relate to your current circumstance. (Long post ahead).

Back in November I walked out on my job. Finished my shift, grabbed what few things I had at my desk, and walked out with no intention of returning.

My employer had screwed me over ten too many times, and much of what was happening there did not sit well with me morally.

I had been there two years. When I first started I had a child due in a couple months and had asked at least five different members of management, as well as our attendance manager what options were available for me to take time off for the birth. I was unable to find anything on the companies employee website. I was told by the attendance manager that at that time I was unavailable for FMLA as I hadn't been there a year (which I already knew) but was also told that I was unavailable for any unpaid time off. When my child was born I used sick days, which of course cost me attendance points.

Skip forward almost exactly a year later. I had returned from my lunch break three minutes late, two days in a row, unintentionally. This had put me at my final point and I approached my new manager about it, as I knew there was no way I had come back late (I'd never been late before the entire time I worked there). We ended up comparing my cell phone to the computer systems time and found my phone somehow had become four minutes off. My manager reversed the points, but asked why I had the other points and I explained I had taken time for the birth of my little girl. She looked at me puzzled and asked if I had enquired about time off and I explained I had but was told no.. She informed me that was incorrect and I was available for unpaid time off for the birth of the child at the point she was born.

Turns out the attendance manager knew this was the case, but lied to me. At the same time I had attempted to get time off for her birth, multiple others from my hire group were granted time off for much less important situations. Asking around I found out the attendance manager has a hatred of strait men (he's very obviously gay) and had been known to purposely misslead certain people. I took the issue to upper management and they did nothing. Turns out most of the upper management were also gay and covering for these actions. I ended up also finding out that one of the members of management had actually been accused of sexual harassment by strait members of his team, but the company closed the investigation and cleared the manager.. without ever interviewing the men harassed. These issues, as well as other shady business practices, put me past the edge and I walked out.

This isn't the only employer I've had these kinds of issues with either. I'd say 90% of the jobs I've had ended up being the same nonsense. The other 10% didn't pay enough or offer competitive benefits. My second to last job was was with one of the major three cell phone carriers as a corporate store manager. I never had time off, when I was at home I was answering phone calls from employees with questions, talking to district managers, marketing managers, etc about metrics and sales.. I had no life. I was given one day off when my wife and I were married. ONE DAY. No honeymoon, no congratulations from colleagues. I closed my store at 10 p.m. the night before, got married the next day, and was back at work the day after at 8 a.m.

Never again.

As I type this I sit at home with my wife and our three year old and one year old little girls. The three year old is working on her school work (she's not in school yet but we work hard with her to be ahead of the game) and the one year old is watching Frozen, mumbling along for what seems like the 1000th time, and simultaneously trying to remove her diaper. It's great. I have enough savings to keep all bills paid for the next year, so I'm not too worried. I've been looking for work, but only those that interest me. Life is too short and I seriously doubt I'll look back while on my death bed and regret this time.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

WillBrink
02-11-19, 15:14
I literally walked out of my job tonight, 4 hours into a 12hour shift. Eight years of hot hell with THE WORST co-workers, and the absolute most mis-managed company Ive ever worked for or heard of. Without going into details that would fill an ATLAS SHRUGGED sized book on how terrible this place is..let me say I simply had had enough, and literally almost ran out after saying goodbye to what few friends I had there.
So- now, Im gonna take a little while to try to rid myself of the utter hatred & rage I have in my heart & mind & soul for the place and most of the people there. Gonna take a short vacay..somewhere. Pull some triggers a few days. Then...get busy living again.
So- here is my situation:
Im 54. Former Marine. VA eligible for care. Served from '83 to '87. Ive got enough money to pay all bills for about 4-5 months IF needed.
Im recently single, no kids. No technical education...worked in factories for years and drove OTR for 13 years...WHICH ILL NEVER DO AGAIN...EVER.
Been continuously employed over 40 years...no lazy ass here. Everything Ive done as a young boy untill a couple hours ago has been hard, hot manual labor with long hours. Have NEVER worked an 8 hour job...hell I wouldnt know how to act on just 8 hours.
Im wanting to do something different. Something to maybe help others. Id like to learn a new trade in...something. Im so damned beat down I dont even know what would make me happy anymore. Id like to improve myself and make a difference and actually be proud of what I do for once.
What VA monetary aid is available to me for trade schools? Any other gov. help I could qualify for for aid whilst learning a new trade? What areas for someone my age would you guys recommend I look into. As of tonight- Im once again, for about the 4th time..starting my life over again...AND IM NOT SCARED. I feel the Lord has led me here and I know He will help me as long as I do my part-He always has.
Gents- Im open to your ideas. Im in Madison Al , an area EXPLODING with jobs, and I might indeed take one just to get some kinda income coming in..BUT I WANT BETTER THAN THAT..what I descibed above...to matter..to make a difference...to help others...to get better educated.
So, my brothers in arms: IM ALL EARS.
Thank yall for letting me vent.

I will only add that, for those willing/able to move, there's a lot of work of varying types out there. That seems to be the key in this modern economy as some areas are hurting for employees of all kinds, some have too many. Hell, maybe go outside the reservation and try another country for a year or so. You can teach English as a second language in a number of countries who will pay you to get certed to do it. A year in Colombia would be quite the adventure for example. Bunch of vets I know also in Panama, but it's not as cheap etc as it used to be. A few went to Colombia and have not looked back.

Straight Shooter
02-11-19, 21:08
I left my job as a correctional officer last November. Had no job lined up, but I was miserable, in the worst physical shape of my life, constantly sick with respiratory ailments, and sick of working for people who, every time very legitimate complaints were raised, always responded with "If you don't like how we do things, there's the door!" People who stayed there either ended up getting fired for something stupid, or written up so many times for stupid things that no other job would hire them. Plus, this jail is notorious for badmouthing its employees to potential employers to ensure they can't go anywhere. I managed to stay a gray man: I was considered a solid CO and never got on anyone's radar in a bad way, and wasn't there long enough (about a year and a half) to get into that situation. Our rent had gone WAY up and we were unable to afford it anymore (and we were in one of the least expensive apartment complexes in the area) and my wife has a lot of student debt. Plus, we had a new baby and couldn't afford childcare for my wife to get a job (all of her paycheck would have gone to childcare, removing any benefit for her to work). The jail had no intention whatsoever of giving the officers a raise...in fact, they were demanding that we take a pay cut because, and I quote, "It doesn't take any more credentials to get your job than it does to get hired at Walmart. You're getting paid more than you're worth." So, we were left with the choice of me staying in this miserable shit hole and us moving in with my wife's parents, which we didn't want to do because they can be hard to live with, or me quitting the job and us moving out of state to live with my parents, who were already loaning us money to help us make ends meet (and who are very easy to live with). So, with my parents' encouragement, we did the latter.

Now I am SO much happier! I'm eating better, sleeping better, I've lost 25 pounds and counting, and there are so many more fulfilling job opportunities up here. Admittedly, I've yet to get full time employment, but unlike where I was, the opportunities are here. They weren't even available where I was. I would have been stuck in that God-forsaken jail forever.

You did the right thing. Life is too short for to have the attitude that "life sucks, so pick a miserable job and do it till you die with regret like a good American." Find something that makes you happy and fulfilled. Plus, miserable workplaces need to be sent a message that if they mistreat their employees, they're going to lose them.

Gents- THANK YOU ALL...Ive read each & every response. I appreciate you taking time to answer! One thing FireFly mentioned...we had & have..at ANY given time..people "floating around" ...HIDING actually...doing nothing. Had had a dude who does it nightly tell me he was hiding a couple hours before I quit..so it was those lazy bums who took my place, and Im GLAD of it, too.
Many of you have responded were/are in a much worse place than I, as you had a family to deal with too. BoringGuy45..WOW, brother you were really in some crap there! I too, being on nights for decades now, have put on weight Im wanting to lose, and to try to work days if possible.
I am & have downsized, Ive always like to live minimally anyway. Several of you have suggested to relax a couple weeks before doing anything- & I think I will do that, but keep a weather eye/ear out at the same time, too.
And, to the Gent to sent me the PM...I want to publicly again say..THANK YOU & GOD BLESS YOU SIR.
Gents, keep the ideas coming. I am still wondering who/how/where to contact the VA to see what benefits or job assistance Im due, any ideas on that?
Thank yall for your encouragement!

NWPilgrim
02-12-19, 06:22
After I early retired from a high stress job it took a few months to fully cleanse my mind and fully accept so was free of that crap. Often under a lot of stress we abandon healthy habits, put on weight, lose strength and flexibility. One of the best things I did was to start eating healthy and exercise 4 times a week. Started off with just simple calisthenics. Then was recommended a fitnessblender.com which was fantastic for improving range of motion and toning, also got me to using dumbbells more. After 3 months of that I was fit enough to do physical work all day (had been office work for 35 years). After 6 months of manual labor I felt 10 years younger and know I added a decade or more to my life span.

Use this time going forward to treat your mind and body to healthier endeavors and it will greatly help the stress decompression and mental outlook. And every once in a while join with Braveheart and give a throaty “FREEDOM!!!”

Straight Shooter
02-12-19, 09:01
After I early retired from a high stress job it took a few months to fully cleanse my mind and fully accept so was free of that crap. Often under a lot of stress we abandon healthy habits, put on weight, lose strength and flexibility. One of the best things I did was to start eating healthy and exercise 4 times a week. Started off with just simple calisthenics. Then was recommended a fitnessblender.com which was fantastic for improving range of motion and toning, also got me to using dumbbells more. After 3 months of that I was fit enough to do physical work all day (had been office work for 35 years). After 6 months of manual labor I felt 10 years younger and know I added a decade or more to my life span.

Use this time going forward to treat your mind and body to healthier endeavors and it will greatly help the stress decompression and mental outlook. And every once in a while join with Braveheart and give a throaty “FREEDOM!!!”

I LIKE the way you think, sir! Only a couple days so far and it aint hit me yet Im outta there..forever.

WillBrink
02-12-19, 09:23
Here's one I'd add, the long distance trucking industry is dying for new drivers. 60k+ they need. They train you, and the pay can be very good. If one enjoys being on the rode and doing they're own thing, a good choice. No doubt, not for everyone.

Alex V
02-12-19, 09:28
How good are you at chemistry? Possible self-employment opportunity, depending on your AO.

On a serious note; as others have said, I also have quit several jobs and have never regretted it. I usually had another lined up but the idea is the same. Right now seems to be a sellers market when it comes to jobs. All the Architects and Engineers I speak to are having a hard time hiring. Plenty of jobs open, not enough people. If you are willing to learn, and VA is willing to pay, there are a ton of trade schools that would be good careers. Who cares that you are 50+ and you will be in class with 19 and 20 year olds, You do you, learn, and better your situation. I only have personal experience with building trades but they seem to always be hiring. Around here its a 7:30-3pm type of job most of the time. I believe gasoline and diesel mechanics are always in demand as well. If you get a job for a dealership, your hours are set and you get paid book time, which can be very lucrative.

Good luck bro!

tb-av
02-12-19, 12:30
Find the local employment commission near you. Go talk to them. You probably won't find a job and they may ask you to attend classes and such but you at least get to hear what they are thinking about.

If you want to go to school they might even have a stop-gap job for you that is part time or contract.

Join indeed.com and you can get stuff sent to your email based on various criteria or key words. At least it gives you some perspective on things out there that you might otherwise never have thought of. Local or nationwide.

Straight Shooter
02-12-19, 12:41
Here's one I'd add, the long distance trucking industry is dying for new drivers. 60k+ they need. They train you, and the pay can be very good. If one enjoys being on the rode and doing they're own thing, a good choice. No doubt, not for everyone.

Will, I did OTR for 13 years...racked up over 1.3 million miles...Ill NEVER set foot in a truck again. Ill live under a bridge first. And NO NEW DRIVER is gonna make $60,000 a year...IF you make half that you'd be lucky. Trucking is the biggest screwjob going...paying a driver by "the mile" ought to be outlawed.
Seriously- THANK YOU for your posts and ideas...PLEASE, by all means, keep them coming.

Straight Shooter
02-12-19, 12:42
How good are you at chemistry? Possible self-employment opportunity, depending on your AO.

On a serious note; as others have said, I also have quit several jobs and have never regretted it. I usually had another lined up but the idea is the same. Right now seems to be a sellers market when it comes to jobs. All the Architects and Engineers I speak to are having a hard time hiring. Plenty of jobs open, not enough people. If you are willing to learn, and VA is willing to pay, there are a ton of trade schools that would be good careers. Who cares that you are 50+ and you will be in class with 19 and 20 year olds, You do you, learn, and better your situation. I only have personal experience with building trades but they seem to always be hiring. Around here its a 7:30-3pm type of job most of the time. I believe gasoline and diesel mechanics are always in demand as well. If you get a job for a dealership, your hours are set and you get paid book time, which can be very lucrative.

Good luck bro!

Find the local employment commission near you. Go talk to them. You probably won't find a job and they may ask you to attend classes and such but you at least get to hear what they are thinking about.

If you want to go to school they might even have a stop-gap job for you that is part time or contract.

Join indeed.com and you can get stuff sent to your email based on various criteria or key words. At least it gives you some perspective on things out there that you might otherwise never have thought of. Local or nationwide.

Excellent- thank you both very much!

Pappabear
02-12-19, 15:08
Not typically a older dudes job but I have seen them there. Starbucks. I say this because even part time employees get great benefits. There is a vocational school in AZ called EVIT I think. Possible learn a new trade and make decent money after training.

I was fired once and filled out unemployment, not sure you can quit and get it though. So look into gov funding if possible.

Any hard worker like yourself will land on his feet. Gods speed brother!

PB

PB

Travelingchild
02-12-19, 19:47
Time to yourself is always a good thing, While I'm a self-employed specialized carpenter, finish work high end homes. I actually find it more stressful than being an hourly as I interact directly with the home owner not the GC. And they call me directly for issues, changes etc..
So after a long 2 month project finish with my phone still ringing( that's a good thing) I decided to take a day off. I'm 56..realized I needed me time so I went skiing.
https://i.imgur.com/0SbiHLE.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/LXmqU4C.jpg
Stopped by to check out the Kings & Queens Corbet's Competition
https://i.imgur.com/7TCe7fR.jpg

As Artsy, New age as it sounds.

Find your Happy Place and enjoy life...

BuzzinSATX
02-12-19, 20:14
Honestly, I kind of envy you...and I truly wish you all the best and Godspeed finding your calling! I'll definitely drop a prayer or two out there for ya!

Some things I might consider if looking for something I'd enjoy:

Glock: I have heard from several sources that Glock is an outstanding company to work for: https://us.glock.com/glock%20careers#two

Black Rifle Coffee: They are growing fast and have made it a point to hire vets. They have roasting places TN and UT, both excellent states. Just moved their HQ to San Antonio...

https://blackriflecoffee.bamboohr.com/jobs/

Recession-Proof industry...I think it could be a good career....and likely good folks toward with:

Buffalo Trace Bourbon Parent: https://careers-sazerac.icims.com/jobs/intro?hashed=-435770489&mobile=false&width=642&height=500&bga=true&needsRedirect=false&jan1offset=-360&jun1offset=-300

Beam: https://www.beamsuntory.com/careers

BuzzinSATX
02-12-19, 20:23
As far as what VA benefits you may have, you can begin by walking into your nearest American Legion or VFW post and ask for the vet benefit divot. Your state should also have folks available to help advise you on what is out there for you:

https://www.va.gov

http://alavetnet.alabama.gov

http://va.alabama.gov

Straight Shooter
02-12-19, 21:38
Time to yourself is always a good thing, While I'm a self-employed specialized carpenter, finish work high end homes. I actually find it more stressful than being an hourly as I interact directly with the home owner not the GC. And they call me directly for issues, changes etc..
So after a long 2 month project finish with my phone still ringing( that's a good thing) I decided to take a day off. I'm 56..realized I needed me time so I went skiing.

THAT IS SO GREAT!!! THANKS for the awesome pics!

Straight Shooter
02-12-19, 21:39

Honestly, I kind of envy you...and I truly wish you all the best and Godspeed finding your calling! I'll definitely drop a prayer or two out there for ya!

Some things I might consider if looking for something I'd enjoy:

Glock: I have heard from several sources that Glock is an outstanding company to work for: https://us.glock.com/glock%20careers#two

Black Rifle Coffee: They are growing fast and have made it a point to hire vets. They have roasting places TN and UT, both excellent states. Just moved their HQ to San Antonio...

https://blackriflecoffee.bamboohr.com/jobs/

Recession-Proof industry...I think it could be a good career....and likely good folks toward with:

Buffalo Trace Bourbon Parent: https://careers-sazerac.icims.com/jobs/intro?hashed=-435770489&mobile=false&width=642&height=500&bga=true&needsRedirect=false&jan1offset=-360&jun1offset=-300

Beam: https://www.beamsuntory.com/careers

As far as what VA benefits you may have, you can begin by walking into your nearest American Legion or VFW post and ask for the vet benefit divot. Your state should also have folks available to help advise you on what is out there for you:

https://www.va.gov

http://alavetnet.alabama.gov

http://va.alabama.gov

Brother- THANK YOU. Ill dive into a couple of these shortly.
Thank you to all of you who posted..Flying Hunter thanks brother!

BuzzinSATX
02-13-19, 08:24
Brother- THANK YOU. Ill dive into a couple of these shortly.
Thank you to all of you who posted..Flying Hunter thanks brother!

Sorry for the typos. If anything seemed odd, let me know.

I do want to clarify...your local American Legion/AmVet/VFW will have or know folks who are educated on vet benefits. Their services should be free..use them. Also, if you have your service medical records, bring in a copy and have someone trained on them look them over. Again, should be no cost to you...

Speak to them IN ADDITION TO your state and VA vet reps. Not all vet reps know everything, and it sometimes pays to get a couple or three opinions/consultants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Straight Shooter
02-13-19, 14:12
Sorry for the typos. If anything seemed odd, let me know.

I do want to clarify...your local American Legion/AmVet/VFW will have or know folks who are educated on vet benefits. Their services should be free..use them. Also, if you have your service medical records, bring in a copy and have someone trained on them look them over. Again, should be no cost to you...

Speak to them IN ADDITION TO your state and VA vet reps. Not all vet reps know everything, and it sometimes pays to get a couple or three opinions/consultants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DEF will do!!

Firefly
02-13-19, 17:00
Straight Shooter in 6 months...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U2bN_ltjfs

I KEED I KEED. Naw you'll be alright. :p

Straight Shooter
02-14-19, 00:57
Straight Shooter in 6 months...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U2bN_ltjfs

I KEED I KEED. Naw you'll be alright. :p

HAHA! Bro- thats a RIOT!! Made my day, man. But-methinks not.