PDA

View Full Version : It Helps to Learn Some Basic Repairs Yourself

Doc Safari
02-11-19, 12:03
Last night I was cleaning a relatively new Colt 6720, one with only a few hundred rounds through it.

While trying to re-insert the bolt into the bolt carrier, I noticed it was having difficulty moving past a certain point. I pushed and pushed, even smacking the bolt face with the meaty part of my hand at some point.

No go.

I pulled the bolt back out and noticed that one of the bolt rings on this relatively new Colt had worked its way out of the groove and was binding. The ring was deformed enough that I replaced all three rings with some brand new Bravo Company rings I had on hand.

I had never done that before, but watching a couple of YouTube videos on the subject caught me right up as far as replacing the rings myself. Even though I carefully installed each one they seemed kind of sloppy looking. I re-installed the bolt into the bolt carrier and worked the bolt back and forth about a hundred times with plenty of lube. After removing the bolt again the rings looked a lot more "at home" and mated to the bolt so I reassembled everything.

If not for those YouTube videos I might have had to take that rifle to the gunsmith for repairs. I would have had to pay a $35 shop fee to the local guy to do it, plus waiting who-knows-how long to get the rifle back.

As it is I did it myself and I'll make a quick trip to the range next time the weather is nice to confirm function.

Up to now the only component I've replaced myself is cam pins, which I tend to replace every few thousand rounds to keep bolts from breaking. I've also replaced an extractor spring or two, but not recently.

I'm considering both investing in some tools and taking an armorer's course.

The_War_Wagon
02-11-19, 12:14
I too am grateful to Youtube, what with my new found fascination for better 1911's, BUT... isn't this the very type of content, that Youtube has THREATENED to remove? :(

Esq.
02-11-19, 12:26
I've taken three factory armorers courses and built a couple dozen guns. I STILL use Youtube from time to time. If you aren't doing things every day, it's easy to forget and there are always little tricks and tips you can learn about how to do things. I always use a Home Depot $2 clevis pin to install the front detent on a lower for example...Much cheaper than the approved "armorers tool"......

dwd1985
02-11-19, 12:28
I couldn't even list the vast number of repairs and modifications I have learned by watching youTube videos. From installing an ambi safety on a 1911 to building AR lowers, I have learned quite a bit. I feel like prior to the internet, the only way to learn this stuff was through trial and error (expensive and time consuming) or via armorers courses. If I had taken an AR-15 armorers course in place of watching youtube vids, I probably would have been pissed, seeing as how easy they are to build and maintain.

titsonritz
02-11-19, 13:01
Some of the best money I've spent on this game has been armorers courses and proper tools. YouTube will get you only so far and there is plenty of bullshit information that needs sifting through via that source.

AndyLate
02-11-19, 16:12
Like a car, you should be able to change wear items.

Inspect and remove/replace trigger, disconnector, hammer, extractor, gas rings, and applicable springs.

Basically anything that does not require specialized tools, unless you want to assemble or are a high-volume shooter.

Doc Safari
02-11-19, 16:14
The one component I worry about having to replace is the delta ring spring. I had a rusted/pitted one on an AR from years ago. I guess it's a pretty strong spring that doesn't fail very often, but knowing the barrel has to be pulled to replace it makes me hope I never have to yank one of those.

AndyLate
02-11-19, 17:54
The one component I worry about having to replace is the delta ring spring. I had a rusted/pitted one on an AR from years ago. I guess it's a pretty strong spring that doesn't fail very often, but knowing the barrel has to be pulled to replace it makes me hope I never have to yank one of those.

When it comes to that I will loan you my reaction rod. The guys here that recommend them are so right!

Hammer_Man
02-11-19, 18:01

Just send it to me, I'll do it for free.

SteveL
02-11-19, 21:02
Yes you are absolutely right. I was fortunate enough to be able to attend one of Iraqgunz's armorer courses a few years ago and that class is as valuable to me as any live fire class I've been to. If you're ever able to get into one of his classes then do it. I can't recommend it enough. I eventually typed up the notes I took and stored them in the cloud and still find myself referring to them occasionally. I've accumulated the tools necessary to do most anything to an AR and have had most of mine torn all the way down at one time or another for whatever reasons. Being able to work on your own rifles is well worth the price of the class.

Vegasshooter
02-12-19, 15:14
I’m in 100% agreement with those that say to invest in an Armorer Course. I went to Colt Armorer school on the companies $$. Actually, they come out every year, so one or two of our guys go each year. I also went to Semper Paratus (Iraqguns), and will tell you that I recommend it more. Will teaches more about technical info: gas port sizing, WHY things are done the way they are, etc. I learned quite a few “tricks of the trade” from Will that made some things easier. Since I’m usually working on a gun or 2 a week, I get plenty of practice.

The YouTube CAN be helpful, but, you have to be able to bet the person giving the info. How do you know it’s good info? Problem is “you don’t know what you don’t know.” That’s the downside. I say take a course. At least then you will know enough to vet info later. Plus, you’ll be a hero to your buddies later when you do something as easy as installing a free float rail for them.

tb-av
02-12-19, 15:26
I too am grateful to Youtube, what with my new found fascination for better 1911's, BUT... isn't this the very type of content, that Youtube has THREATENED to remove? :(

If there is ANYTHING on YT that you think you might one day need as a reference, you better start building your library. Don't count on it sticking around. Oddly enough I have seen videos by young kids, girls, you name, that are far far better than a lot of YT "pros" too. If you watch enough of them and have some basic editing software you can also edit in some cuts from a few vids to make one really good instruction.

YT may delete stuff. The Author may delete stuff. The account may just disappear. Don't trust that it will be around when and if you really need it.

Doc Safari
02-12-19, 15:36
The YouTube CAN be helpful, but, you have to be able to bet the person giving the info. How do you know it’s good info? Problem is “you don’t know what you don’t know.” That’s the downside. I say take a course. At least then you will know enough to vet info later. Plus, you’ll be a hero to your buddies later when you do something as easy as installing a free float rail for them.

I vetted YouTube by these criteria:

1. Know the source. For example, MidwayUSA or Brownells is unlikely to put out bad information, but BubbaGunsmithing2019 is more likely going to do so.
2. Verify the information by viewing two or three videos, and consulting other sources as well. I have the Marine Corps M16A2 intermediate maintenance manual I can consult.
3. Have some common sense, and a working knowledge yourself. I don't know how many videos on cleaning and maintenance I watched where the host told you to make sure the bolt ring gaps are staggered. Even Chris Bartocci has a video recommending you clean the carbon off the back of the bolt.