PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Advice

GIFFMANN
11-01-06, 16:52
Okay, looks like I might have to sell 1 of the 2 1911s that I have and I am truly torn between which one.

First up is my Dan Wesson Patriot. This pistol was bought new and has less than 1000 rounds through it. Most of those have been flawless except for some overcrimped handloads. Pistol is bone stock except for the recontouring of the rear sight by Ned Christiansen. Prior to that, it was as sharp as some knives and was guaranteed to draw blood at the range. Some of the idiosyncracies of this pistol are:

External Extractor
Bo Mar style rear sight
Proprietary Front Sight Cut

These obviously limit me as to modifications I can make to this pistol. On the plus side, the trigger is fantastic, it shoots good, is very accurate and the blued finish is really nice. Also, it has a high cut frame. The frame/slide were forged by either Ruger or S&W.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v394/giffmann1/DSCN0229.jpg

Second up is a bone stock Springfield Loaded Parkerized. I picked this up from Hawkeye with zero rounds through it and have put about 120 rounds through it so far. To this point, it has run flawless, but obviously I need a few more rounds through it. The trigger is definitely inferior to the Wesson, but on the plus side, it has Novak Night Sites, an Ambi safety and internal extractor. As such, any mods, such as adding different front/rear sights and such are possible.

Of course, I could change out the top end on the Dan Wesson, but to do that, I'm looking at a minimum of $500, I believe for parts and labor.

Any constructive opinions are definitely welcome!!

Giff

bullitt5172
11-01-06, 19:36
Just as a note, the frames on the Dan Wesson guns were cast the SA slide and frame are both forged.

I would definately sell the DW and hang to the Wesson. Sounds like yours might be running ok but I had three and they all sucked. I've always liked the SA guns and they seem to be at the top of guns used by top 'smiths. The SA will hold it's value better as well, trust me on this.

YMMV

VA_Dinger
11-01-06, 21:39
This is a tough one. My first thought is to keep the SA, but I know you've always been happy with the Dan Wesson. Personally, I'm starting to look hard at Bo-Mar sights myself so they are not a negative in my book.

I wish I knew more about Dan Wesson guns before I state my opinion.

SHIVAN
11-01-06, 21:45
Just as a note, the frames on the Dan Wesson guns were cast...

Actually they offered both...

LOKNLOD
11-01-06, 21:49
Sounds like the DW is nice as is, and the SA is primed and ready as a good starting point for a build. Do you want to customize or shoot as is?

Reading your post it sounds like you are really leaning towards further modifications and in that case you might as well start with as clean a slate as possible (the SA).

GIFFMANN
11-01-06, 21:49
Actually they offered both...

Yup. The frames on the early Patriots were forged according to Bob Serva who owned the company at the time.

Really a beautiful pistol, just wish it had Novak cuts.

VA_Dinger
11-01-06, 22:10
Really a beautiful pistol, just wish it had Novak cuts.

I think Heinie makes a fixed sight for Bo-Mar cut slides.

-Wes-
11-01-06, 22:19
What about getting the DW's slide welded up and the sight cuts re-machined? Might be a cheaper alternative to getting a new top end.

I'd just be wary of someone grinding down the original sights and using them as plugs in the existing sight cuts.

I would think the SA would be more replaceable.

None the less, it's always tough to decide which kid to get rid of.

GIFFMANN
11-01-06, 22:59
I think Heinie makes a fixed sight for Bo-Mar cut slides.
Nope. They make one to replace the Kimber adjustable, but it's just different enough that it won't work without some additional machining to either the slide, the sight or both. I've toyed with the idea of designing my own rear sight and having someone machine it up. Have no idea what that would cost though.

Robb Jensen
11-02-06, 06:38
Scott Warren makes a fixed replacement for the Bomar rears.

I think the Kimber adjustable is close enough that he could easily make his rear sight fit. When getting a fixed rear from Warren you have to sight in your pistol and then send the entire slide to him, he makes the sight the same height as the sighted in Bomar so your POI is the same These are about $150 IIRC and are hand made one at a time. Next year I'm getting one for my STI 2011 because I'm tired of fixing Bomars (I broke 2 this year).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/Limitedgun8.jpg

GIFFMANN
11-02-06, 09:06
Scott Warren makes a fixed replacement for the Bomar rears.

I think the Kimber adjustable is close enough that he could easily make his rear sight fit. When getting a fixed rear from Warren you have to sight in your pistol and then send the entire slide to him, he makes the sight the same height as the sighted in Bomar so your POI is the same These are about $150 IIRC and are hand made one at a time. Next year I'm getting one for my STI 2011 because I'm tired of fixing Bomars (I broke 2 this year).

Dropped him an email! First time I've ever heard of that option from anybody. I've seen the question asked time and time again on the 1911 forums, but nobody ever came up with anything.

Thanks!!

Hawkeye
11-02-06, 14:16
I say keep the Springfield.

GIFFMANN
11-02-06, 15:36
I say keep the Springfield.

What's the rational behind that statement?

subzero
11-02-06, 15:41
I would keep the Springfield, as the sights are low profile and fixed. Bo-Mars are a deal breaker for me. Glocks are proof that we can learn to live with a poor trigger :D