PDA

View Full Version : ‘We are going to put them down" says Palmetto principal

WillBrink
02-12-19, 07:53
Now, a principle who puts his students first and did something to genuinely reduce the likelihood of an attack, and or, minimizing the death toll should one happen. And not just for looks and feels, but combat vets with long guns:

"Should an armed intruder ever get onto the campus of Manatee School for the Arts in Palmetto, they will not have fair fight on their hands. They, according to Principal Bill Jones, will be met with swift, overwhelming and deadly force by guards carrying semi-automatic rifles.

Jones isn’t trying to hide the charter school’s security plan. He just hopes his warning acts as a deterrent.

“If someone walks onto this campus, they’re going to be shot and killed,” Jones said. “We’re not going to talk with them. We’re not going to negotiate. We are going to put them down, as quickly as possible.”

Since the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Act was enacted last year after the Feb. 14 shooting that killed 17 students and teachers in Parkland, every public school in Florida is required to have armed security on campus."

Cont:

https://amp.bradenton.com/news/local/article225203920.html?__twitter_impression=true&fbclid=IwAR2ER_VZOg6-s6MRkuiS-50wPZ23kTIN9VclrNb4CBvHVosAtJhp3H41Ycw

GH41
02-12-19, 09:09
I wish him the best of luck pulling it off but I wouldn't bet on him getting the plan up and running. Publicly funded arts school?? What's the chance many of the administrators, teachers or parents are anti-gun. He could probably get away with concealed carry handguns but I think open carry of rifles would be a liability.

WillBrink
02-12-19, 09:26
I wish him the best of luck pulling it off but I wouldn't bet on him getting the plan up and running. Publicly funded arts school?? What's the chance many of the administrators, teachers or parents are anti-gun. He could probably get away with concealed carry handguns but I think open carry of rifles would be a liability.

It is up and running. It's a done deal.

T2C
02-12-19, 09:43
This will work. School shooters generally go after soft targets. On the rare occasion a person would not choose a soft target, having the right people in place to neutralize the threat will undoubtedly minimize harm to innocent people at the school.

WillBrink
02-12-19, 09:47
This will work. School shooters generally go after soft targets. On the rare occasion a person would not choose a soft target, having the right people in place to neutralize the threat will undoubtedly minimize harm to innocent people at the school.

And those guys unlikely to hide while kids are being killed would be my guess.

Doc Safari
02-12-19, 09:52
I would love to offer my services doing something like that, not that a school system would hire me.

titsonritz
02-12-19, 10:16
Some actual common sense.

glocktogo
02-12-19, 13:04

Agreed. I do hope they haven't neglected to implement measures to combat bullying and identify at risk students before critical mass occurs. Only a comprehensive plan will provide the most protection.

WillBrink
02-12-19, 13:23
Agreed. I do hope they haven't neglected to implement measures to combat bullying and identify at risk students before critical mass occurs. Only a comprehensive plan will provide the most protection.

While I agree of course, the kid that did the last shooting in FL was literally voted most likely to shoot up the school by students, and visited by LE what, 30 times? In trouble in school non stop, nadda done. Short of dropping leaflets, he was as well identified as it's gonna get, and due to almost comprehensible (some might say criminal) level of negligence and ineptitude at every possible step and level, the ball dropped. So while I hope that too is improved at that schools and others as a multi layered approach, I will not hold my breath on that one. That school is the model to follow in my non expert opinion that would see such events drop to close to zero. Of course, we all know that will just mean a shift to other soft targets of opportunity, but as I have said a decade plus now "we guard our money with armed men and our children with 'gun free zone" signs. Those are the priorities of the damned"

T2C
02-12-19, 15:32

I don't think identifying problem students had been an issue in the past. Failing to properly address problem students has created critical issues that resulted in critical incidents.

When parents and the school system fail to take the proper steps to prevent violence, the violent student has to be stopped with violence. When the smoke clears and people want to assign blame, they should start with the parents and school staff who failed to do everything within their power and authority to prevent the violence in the first place.

glocktogo
02-12-19, 16:08
I don't think identifying problem students had been an issue in the past. Failing to properly address problem students has created critical issues that resulted in critical incidents.

When parents and the school system fail to take the proper steps to prevent violence, the violent student has to be stopped with violence. When the smoke clears and people want to assign blame, they should start with the parents and school staff who failed to do everything within their power and authority to prevent the violence in the first place.

Agreed. I should've written "identify and intervene/mitigate..."

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-12-19, 21:17
Cue Jim Acosta: There havent been any school shootings here since they implemented this plan, obviously we don't need armed guards.