PDA

View Full Version : 2nd AR opinions

Gtorq21
02-17-19, 19:14
Hey guys looking to pick up a 2nd ar. Been considering the Lwrc di or another DD. what would y'all suggest. Looking for durability, dependibility. I've been considering Lmt and Kac also. Or should I jaunt build? Appreciate it

opngrnd
02-17-19, 19:19
What are the goals and intended purpose of this rifle vs how your first rifle is set up? For example, my first AR was a basic rifle with an Aimpoint. My second was a precision build with free-float tube, heavier barrel, Geissele trigger, and is fed handloaded ammo. While the rifles aren't wildly different, they were purchased and are employed with entirely different mindsets.

B Cart
02-17-19, 19:33
What are the goals and intended purpose of this rifle vs how your first rifle is set up? For example, my first AR was a basic rifle with an Aimpoint. My second was a precision build with free-float tube, heavier barrel, Geissele trigger, and is fed handloaded ammo. While the rifles aren't wildly different, they were purchased and are employed with entirely different mindsets.

This ^^

It's hard to give you any direction without knowing what the purpose of the rifle will be. Do you want a SBR/Pistol build for easy work around vehicles and in close quarters? Do you want a more precision/recce type build with a 1-8 or larger scope? Do you want a really lightweight gun to carry for long periods? Do you want to run suppressed? The more info you can give about what you're looking to do with it, the better answers you'll get.

If you just want 'another AR', then any of the 4 you listed would be great options, as well as Colt, BCM, etc. If money isn't an issue, out of the options you listed, a KAC SR-15 E3 would be my first choice.

prepare
02-17-19, 19:36
Why not build one?

Gtorq21
02-17-19, 20:00
My current ar is a ddm4v5 with a eotech. 2nd ar I'm intending on getting would be for same purpose as my first. Just been wanting another to add to my safe. Intentions of rifle are target shooting, self defense and shtf. Not running suppressors nor would it be a pistol build. I like the DD due to what seem to be there extreme durability and have videos to back it up. Like the Lwrc for cosmetic and ambidextrous features as well as barrel quality. The KAC is nice and always hear great things.

Mark71
02-17-19, 20:05
I would also take a close look at the complete rifles from Centurion Arms. Excellent quality and value.

Zane1844
02-17-19, 20:05
Get KAC, even just the upper. I did for my second AR abd never looked back, never wanted/ needed anything else after.

opngrnd
02-17-19, 20:11
My current ar is a ddm4v5 with a eotech. 2nd ar I'm intending on getting would be for same purpose as my first. Just been wanting another to add to my safe. Intentions of rifle are target shooting, self defense and shtf. Not running suppressors nor would it be a pistol build. I like the DD due to what seem to be there extreme durability and have videos to back it up. Like the Lwrc for cosmetic and ambidextrous features as well as barrel quality. The KAC is nice and always hear great things.

I would stay away from LWRC since you're already in the direct impingement side of the house. Personally, I'd want exactly what you have now but with the lightweight Barrel. DDM4®V7® LW, I believe. If you're happy with Daniel Defense, I would stick with them, but I prefer a lightweight barrels over government profile. Just my two cents.

opngrnd
02-17-19, 20:12
I would also take a close look at the complete rifles from Centurion Arms. Excellent quality and value.

This is true, and I am a big fan of their barrels.

B Cart
02-17-19, 20:15

In that case, it really is just opinion, and you'll probably get multiple different ones. You're picking between 4 great options, and rifles from any of those manufacturers should be durable and good to go. (I also prefer KAC, LMT, or DD over the LWRC for what it's worth).

Personally, I would pick the one that makes you the most excited, and then maybe try a 1-8 or something different to expand your capabilities. I run red dots on my short home defense/CQB rifles, but have really enjoyed the extra accuracy and ability to PID targets at longer ranges by running a 1-8 on some of my 16" guns. Might be worth exploring for your second AR

magister
02-17-19, 21:02
Sounds like you simply want a solid spare that’s kind of similar to the one you have. Nothing wrong with that. I would look at BCM, DD, LMT, or kac and get the one you like best. Quality should be a given with any of those.

308sako
02-17-19, 21:34
The one thing that I would not do is pic a rifle that has a different set of controls. If there is even a remote possibility that the rifle might be employed in a SHTF situation. I am in agreement that cloning what you currently have , but perhaps with a lighter weight barrel profile might be just the ticket.

odugrad
02-18-19, 07:28
DD makes outstanding firearms, no doubt. But I would probably get something similar from BCM just to change it up a bit.

Firefly
02-18-19, 07:53
I’d get one of exactly same configuration as the one you have

Gtorq21
02-18-19, 10:04
Does bcm use hammer forged barrels

richiecotite
02-18-19, 11:26
Does bcm use hammer forged barrels

They sell both.

Right now, I think the centurion is the best deal in a factory rifle if you want a free float tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MorphCross
02-18-19, 16:57
I’d get one of exactly same configuration as the one you have

This is the correct answer. Keep the handling and "feel" characteristics the same in this "two is one, one is none" circumstance.

RVTMaverick
02-19-19, 07:04
LWRC Would be >My pick< between LWRC or DD... but they don't get any love around here...
Now, throwing LMT and KAC into the mix... well, can't go wrong with any of these... But again, especially for the Price I have found the LWRC's for... It's NO contest, PLUS, considering You could buy a good amount of AMMO with the difference saved!
Let us know when You've made your pick!
Peace

Hey guys looking to pick up a 2nd ar. Been considering the Lwrc di or another DD. what would y'all suggest. Looking for durability, dependibility. I've been considering Lmt and Kac also. Or should I jaunt build? Appreciate it

Gtorq21
02-19-19, 19:23
Will do. Any y'all know of any good deals on a kac, DD or bcm. I will say this my father came by to visit my son brought his new Lwrc piston gun to show me. Was impressed with the quality. Also noticed that the upper and lower material was thicker than my DD.