PDA

View Full Version : Armed U.S Vets Arrested in Haiti

B Cart
02-20-19, 14:05
Interesting story coming out of Haiti. 8 armed men (3 of them U.S military veterans) arrested in Haiti at a police checkpoint with a bunch of guns, drones, and sat phones. Compromised op? Seems weird that they would get picked up so easily. You would think they would have spotted a police checkpoint with aerial surveillance or maybe a forward observation vehicle if they were on a legit op?

"Christopher Michael Osman, Kent Leland Kroeker and Christopher Mark McKinley are all veterans, and are among the five Americans police arrested on Sunday afternoon, about a block from the country’s central bank in downtown Port-au-Prince. Riding in two vehicles, a Toyota Prado and Ford Pickup, without license plates, they were stopped at a police checkpoint and questioned.

Inside their vehicles: six automatic rifles, six pistols, two professional drones and three satellite phones, police told the Miami Herald."

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/haiti/article226475635.html

chuckman
02-20-19, 14:09
Don't know about the others but Osman has a bit of history of douchebaggery. Not for nothing, he also founded TAG gear.

That whole event in Haiti smells of clown shoes.

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-20-19, 14:42
Wait, isn't this a NetFlix show?

https://youtu.be/us79YXHPqZQ

B Cart
02-20-19, 14:58
:laugh:

Maybe this Haiti deal is just staged creative marketing for Netflix's new show :cool:

Ned Christiansen
02-20-19, 15:24
I thought at first it might have been something that was on its way to Venezuela..... but not with Russians and Serb on the crew.

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-20-19, 15:25
Why did they pull a McVeigh and decide to roll with out license plates?

VARIABLE9
02-20-19, 15:31

This was the first thing that came to mind.

Or maybe cleaning up some Clinton Foundation laundry.

Honu
02-20-19, 16:34
This was the first thing that came to mind.

hahhaahahahah if I was a betting man :)

Five_Point_Five_Six
02-20-19, 17:22
Don't know about the others but Osman has a bit of history of douchebaggery. Not for nothing, he also founded TAG gear.

That whole event in Haiti smells of clown shoes.

Yeah, he assaulted a teenager or something too didn't he?

flenna
02-20-19, 17:24
Sounds like a Tom Clancy novel. Except they didn't fight their way out of the trap.

Arik
02-20-19, 18:14
Edit. Didn't read to the end

jsbhike
02-20-19, 21:12
What's with the grip on the one with the Leupold in Aero mount?https://www.miamiherald.com/latest-news/d7qopf/picture226440495/alternates/FREE_1140/Haiti%20guns.jpg

soulezoo
02-20-19, 21:37
Looks like a magpul that's been sanded and stippled.

VARIABLE9
02-20-19, 22:00
Hey maybe it was something like this Buzzfeed article...

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/aramroston/mercenaries-assassination-us-yemen-uae-spear-golan-dahlan

Moose-Knuckle
02-21-19, 03:24

They're just NGO charity workers. :cool:

Firefly
02-21-19, 06:08
We all talk about playing Wildlands for real but they actually went ahead and did it.

BASED

jsbhike
02-21-19, 07:19
Looks like a magpul that's been sanded and stippled.

Never seen stippling that looks like recesses for fasteners before.

Circle_10
02-21-19, 07:45
What's with the grip on the one with the Leupold in Aero mount?https://www.miamiherald.com/latest-news/d7qopf/picture226440495/alternates/FREE_1140/Haiti%20guns.jpg

Those are "speed holes". They make the gun go faster.

Five_Point_Five_Six
02-21-19, 08:06
We all talk about playing Wildlands for real but they actually went ahead and did it.

BASED

Practice runs OCONUS for the upcoming Boogaloo is a level of based we haven't seen in years.

Whiskey_Bravo
02-21-19, 08:16
Little surprised they couldn't bribe their way out of it.

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-21-19, 09:01

Or they thought a Patron Saint could get them out of it. I'd rather get into an Alamo type firefight and try to swim off Haiti than go to jail, let alone prison there.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-21-19, 09:02
I've got a buddy who if friends with Chris Osman. Very interesting story...

Whiskey_Bravo
02-21-19, 09:09
Or they thought a Patron Saint could get them out of it. I'd rather get into an Alamo type firefight and try to swim off Haiti than go to jail, let alone prison there.

My thoughts as well.

kerplode
02-21-19, 10:58

Yeah, I imagine that's a whole 'nother level of "Pound me in the ass prison".

Play stupid games...

bad aim
02-21-19, 13:00
So the Haitian president and their judiciary tried to secure their release...sounds like someone's playing a political game and thumbing their noses at the current government. Might be why bribes didn't work...

Whiskey_Bravo
02-21-19, 13:44
So the Haitian president and their judiciary tried to secure their release...sounds like someone's playing a political game and thumbing their noses at the current government. Might be why bribes didn't work...

Interesting.

_Stormin_
02-21-19, 16:35
I’m guessing that there is a lot more to this that we may never know... Weird as hell though. Clinton Foundation security team seems hilariously plausible!

Averageman
02-21-19, 16:47

I'm not, it sounds like they were set up. I'm sure a licence plate ticket could have been gotten out of for twenty bucks US. But if someone wanted to set you up to be caught taking a plate would be a good way to get an excuse to open your trunk at a road block.

NWPilgrim
02-21-19, 17:00
Except the plates were found in the vehicle.

Apparently these guys were brought in by the President of Haiti but he is despised by the police. They seemed to have been lax in their opsec perhaps because they thought they had top cover from the prez.

What was their purpose assuming they were mercs hired by the prez? People are rioting against the prez. Were they a hit squad? Protection detail? “Get my gold out of the bank quietly soze I can fly out at 3am tonight”?

Being a merc has got to be super high risk not just physical danger but EVERYONE is going to drop you like a hot potato if the bottom falls out. That Golan group in the other linked article were smart to insist on nominal membership and ID in the host country military.

Moose-Knuckle
02-22-19, 02:01
I'd rather get into an Alamo type firefight and try to swim off Haiti than go to jail, let alone prison there.

I can't imagine why . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b65jO7aeAw

flenna
02-22-19, 06:12
I can't imagine why . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b65jO7aeAw

I hope that reporter and her cameraman took bleach baths after that excursion.

AndyLate
02-22-19, 07:09
They are back in the U S. with no charges.

Hmac
02-22-19, 13:46

I’m extremely surprised. I’ve paid thousands of dollars in bribes to various Haitians over the years to get medical and electronic equipment in and transported safely around the country. Bribes are absolutely institutionalized among those with any power whatsoever.

bad aim
02-22-19, 14:09
I’m extremely surprised. I’ve paid thousands of dollars in bribes to various Haitians over the years to get medical and electronic equipment in and transported safely around the country. Bribes are absolutely institutionalized among those with any power whatsoever.

It's starting to look like the arrest was a political statement to humiliate the president, so even $1 million might not have made a difference. Back in the US with no charges, eh? I'm curious on how they exported those weapons with ITAR restrictions and all that jazz... they must've been aligned with a company that already got the approval, or there was some DoS influence behind the whole setup.

GH41
02-22-19, 15:49
Is there a chance there is someone in the local jail they wanted to beat on? No tags makes it look like they wanted to get arrested.

Five_Point_Five_Six
02-22-19, 16:09
Is anyone else hearing chatter this may have been some type of human/child trafficking rescues that was cut short?

jpmuscle
02-22-19, 17:01
It's starting to look like the arrest was a political statement to humiliate the president, so even $1 million might not have made a difference. Back in the US with no charges, eh? I'm curious on how they exported those weapons with ITAR restrictions and all that jazz... they must've been aligned with a company that already got the approval, or there was some DoS influence behind the whole setup.

Funny story go to a major border port of entry and you’ll rarely if ever see outbound inspections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firefly
02-22-19, 17:04
Funny story go to a major border port of entry and you’ll rarely if ever see outbound inspections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who’s up for some wildlands?

MountainRaven
02-22-19, 21:19
Who’s up for some wildlands?

It's very difficult to bring guns back into the US that you did not declare on your way out, IIRC.

Hmac
02-24-19, 11:55
Trump just sent troops to Haiti two days ago. Mainly a humanitarian mission. It apparently had quite a calming effect in Port au Prince (nothing like a Blackhawk landing on the lawn of the Presidential Palace to make one think), but mainly due to the humanitarian component. The soldiers are armed, but that apparently isn't the thrust and not what the Haitian people are focusing on according to friends that live there. The military immediately took control of the University Hospital and re-opened it...welcome news to my partner who's taking a medical team down to PAP next week, then up into the highlands after. We have 4 containers of medical equipment that's just been sitting in Miami waiting for things to calm down. Now they're on their way...just in time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUwVto3uUSs&feature=youtu.be

MountainRaven
02-24-19, 14:32
Trump just sent troops to Haiti two days ago. Mainly a humanitarian mission. It apparently had quite a calming effect in Port au Prince (nothing like a Blackhawk landing on the lawn of the Presidential Palace to make one think), but mainly due to the humanitarian component. The soldiers are armed, but that apparently isn't the thrust and not what the Haitian people are focusing on according to friends that live there. The military immediately took control of the University Hospital and re-opened it...welcome news to my partner who's taking a medical team down to PAP next week, then up into the highlands after. We have 4 containers of medical equipment that's just been sitting in Miami waiting for things to calm down. Now they're on their way...just in time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUwVto3uUSs&feature=youtu.be

That video is from nine years ago. In case you didn't realize it.

Firefly
02-24-19, 14:58
It's very difficult to bring guns back into the US that you did not declare on your way out, IIRC.

We could just stock up on hi points and Anderson ARs and wolf ammo.

Hard mode brah. Do you even PS4?

Hmac
02-24-19, 16:56

LOL. I see that. It was sent to me by Dr. Franck Telemaque, the chief at the University Hospital. He's desperate that we not cancel our upcoming mission trip to PAP. I feel bad for the guy. He's in an impossible situation.

jsbhike
02-24-19, 18:45
LOL. I see that. It was sent to me by Dr. Franck Telemaque, the chief at the University Hospital. He's desperate that we not cancel our upcoming mission trip to PAP. I feel bad for the guy. He's in an impossible situation.

Might want to tell him to grab a tree limb and as many rocks as he can fit in his pockets when they touch down. ;)

Moose-Knuckle
02-26-19, 03:09

I didn't watch the vid but thought, damn when did they go back to ACU's lol.

VARIABLE9
03-03-19, 02:13
Interesting read:

http://www.ronpaulinstitute.org/archives/featured-articles/2019/march/01/military-intervention-and-mercenaries-inc-miami/

Buncheong
03-03-19, 09:38
I'd rather get into an Alamo type firefight and try to swim off Haiti than go to jail, let alone prison there.

This ^