PDA

View Full Version : how enjoyable is the G29 to shoot? (10mm)

skyugo
11-06-08, 18:53
i want something for backwoods carry. i have a g19, i like it a lot. is the 29 too much of a handful to really enjoy? given the price of 10mm it'll be more for carrying than for shooting, but i will need to become proficient with it.

also, what's the word on using 40SW ammo in an unmodified 10mm pistol... sounds too good to be true. :confused:

Ray T
11-06-08, 20:15
Shooting the G29 isn't that bad with full power 10mm loads. When you do fire it, you know it's not a "normal" type gun/cartridge. Recoil recovery is fast comapred to an equivalent (in power) revolver.

Shooting .40 S&W ammo through a 10mm pistol - you would need a G29 barrel in .40 S&W. Very...very pleasant to shoot a 10mm pistol in .40 !

You can also get a 9 X 25 barrel for the G29. Think of it like a super-sized .357 Sig.

skyugo
11-06-08, 21:10
Shooting the G29 isn't that bad with full power 10mm loads. When you do fire it, you know it's not a "normal" type gun/cartridge. Recoil recovery is fast comapred to an equivalent (in power) revolver.

Shooting .40 S&W ammo through a 10mm pistol - you would need a G29 barrel in .40 S&W. Very...very pleasant to shoot a 10mm pistol in .40 !

You can also get a 9 X 25 barrel for the G29. Think of it like a super-sized .357 Sig.

that settles it, i must have one...

seems like glock directs the recoil more to the web of your hand, rather than trying to torque your wrists upward...

next month... gotta be good for a little while, i just moved. but i'm working 60 hour weeks, so money isn't too much of a problem right now. :D

HK45
11-06-08, 22:40
I have read somewhere that the 29 barrel is too short to take advantage of the 10mm and impart enough velocity to the round to make it worthwhile. Anyone know if this is true?

Edm
11-08-08, 21:56
My 29 is the LAST handgun I'd get rid of. I find it recoils less than a 27 to me. It seriously is easy to shoot.

Low Drag
11-08-08, 22:41
I have read somewhere that the 29 barrel is too short to take advantage of the 10mm and impart enough velocity to the round to make it worthwhile. Anyone know if this is true?

Mine launches a Win Silver Tip (175 grain) at 1155 fps.

I've had a G 29 for 10 plus years now. Love it. Although the G20 would be a better woods gun. I've got one of those too.

I would try contacting Double Tap Ammo, the guy is a 10mm lover. He gave me some good advise on setting up my G29 with extra power recoil spring, non captured on a double steel guide rod. It shoots pretty soft for a 10mm. His 10mm ammo is excellent.

skyugo
11-09-08, 15:06
Mine launches a Win Silver Tip (175 grain) at 1155 fps.

I've had a G 29 for 10 plus years now. Love it. Although the G20 would be a better woods gun. I've got one of those too.

I would try contacting Double Tap Ammo, the guy is a 10mm lover. He gave me some good advise on setting up my G29 with extra power recoil spring, non captured on a double steel guide rod. It shoots pretty soft for a 10mm. His 10mm ammo is excellent.

cool..

i am seriously considering a G20 as well, but i'm a bit worried certain carry/concealment methods might make me want to leave it home and just take my 9mm instead... a little 10mm in the hand is better than a little 9mm ;) (or either gun sitting in my sock drawer)

Low Drag
11-09-08, 18:53
cool..

i am seriously considering a G20 as well, but i'm a bit worried certain carry/concealment methods might make me want to leave it home and just take my 9mm instead... a little 10mm in the hand is better than a little 9mm ;) (or either gun sitting in my sock drawer)

Very true, it's no good if you leave it home. Hope this helps.

I'm 6'1", about 235 with a 38/40 inch waist. I carry at about 3:30 and it hides quite well. In fact I can conceal it better than a 1911 due to the length of the grip on the 1911.

Rayrevolver
11-09-08, 19:02
From the DT site:

Caliber : 10mm
Bullet : Speer Gold Dot JHP

Ballistics : 180gr. @ 1300fps / 676ft/lbs- Glock 20
Glock 29 - 1240fps

Looks like you only lose 60 fps going from G20 to G29.

The rumor mill just started regarding an upcoming G20SF & G29SF. If it is true I will jump on a G29SF.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=946884

I have both a G21SF and G20, so effectively I have a G20SF when I do the swap.

skyugo
11-09-08, 19:53
From the DT site:

Caliber : 10mm
Bullet : Speer Gold Dot JHP

Ballistics : 180gr. @ 1300fps / 676ft/lbs- Glock 20
Glock 29 - 1240fps

Looks like you only lose 60 fps going from G20 to G29.

The rumor mill just started regarding an upcoming G20SF & G29SF. If it is true I will jump on a G29SF.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=946884

I have both a G21SF and G20, so effectively I have a G20SF when I do the swap.

cool. i can handle a loss of 60 fps i think. (hope... haha... we'll see when i'm getting charged by a bear!)
it should fit a lot of the same non traditional carry systems as a G19 i think too, such as the safepacker. external dimensions are nearly identical.

skyugo
11-09-08, 19:55
Very true, it's no good if you leave it home. Hope this helps.

I'm 6'1", about 235 with a 38/40 inch waist. I carry at about 3:30 and it hides quite well. In fact I can conceal it better than a 1911 due to the length of the grip on the 1911.

i'm a bit smaller than you. 5'9, 170. i can conceal a g19 in a paddle holster with most of my shirts though.

how's this gun compare to the point and shoot nature of the glock 19? I freakin love that gun. :o

Low Drag
11-09-08, 20:17
i'm a bit smaller than you. 5'9, 170. i can conceal a g19 in a paddle holster with most of my shirts though.

how's this gun compare to the point and shoot nature of the glock 19? I freakin love that gun. :o

Very similar to the G19, but thicker. I use the little Pierce finger extender for the floor plates of my 10 rd mags. I also got some of those sleeves so I can run G20 mags if I like. You can carry 26 rds of 10mm on you person that way.

And Double Tap makes some good stuff. McNett is a good guy too.

skyugo
11-09-08, 21:50
Very similar to the G19, but thicker. I use the little Pierce finger extender for the floor plates of my 10 rd mags. I also got some of those sleeves so I can run G20 mags if I like. You can carry 26 rds of 10mm on you person that way.

And Double Tap makes some good stuff. McNett is a good guy too.

i live right down the street from jensen arms... they have a pile of 10mm double tap in stock...

what's a good bet for practice ammo? i'll probably get some dies and start reloading for 10mm as well.

Rayrevolver
11-09-08, 22:21
I shoot HSM or BVAC for practice ammo. The BVAC 165gr were $17 per box of 50 at the last fun show. I cannot and will not stomach CCI steel cased for $22/23 a box.

DT has 180gr Match Practice ammo but its almost the same price as the rest of their lineup.

Low Drag
11-09-08, 22:57
i live right down the street from jensen arms... they have a pile of 10mm double tap in stock...

what's a good bet for practice ammo? i'll probably get some dies and start reloading for 10mm as well.

I used to shoot IPSC with a Glock 20, the only inexpensive way to shoot a 10mm is to reload.

Just get a load you like, chrono it and build a reload to match the velocity. Then go nuts.

BTW, you're luck you live so close to Jensen's. I'm in Brighton and it's a bit of a drive to get there but worth it. I need to make an ammo run up there if the gun show next weekend doesn't have much.

skyugo
11-09-08, 23:41
I used to shoot IPSC with a Glock 20, the only inexpensive way to shoot a 10mm is to reload.

Just get a load you like, chrono it and build a reload to match the velocity. Then go nuts.

BTW, you're luck you live so close to Jensen's. I'm in Brighton and it's a bit of a drive to get there but worth it. I need to make an ammo run up there if the gun show next weekend doesn't have much.

it's great man. i could walk there if i wanted to. :D

the place has been NUTS for the last month or so. :eek:

where do you shoot around here? i shoot the 9mm at the front range gun club, but i'd like someplace a bit longer to shoot rifles....

Low Drag
11-10-08, 06:47
it's great man. i could walk there if i wanted to. :D

the place has been NUTS for the last month or so. :eek:

where do you shoot around here? i shoot the 9mm at the front range gun club, but i'd like someplace a bit longer to shoot rifles....

I shoot at Aurora Gun Club, they only have a 200 yard rifle range. And they have LOTS of fudds there.

I'm going to look into one of the clubs out east of here. There's 2 or 3 out there, Lead Valley Ranch and others. They have longer rifle ranges.

skyugo
11-11-08, 17:41
while we're talking glock 10mm's....

anybody have a nice GenIII 29 they want to sell me? FTF in CO would be nice.... just putting a feeler out. :D

ToddG
11-11-08, 18:03
WTB posts should go in the Member Sales Forum (http://m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=21) section. Thanks.