PDA

View Full Version : The Girl Does Good And Is Lucky

GH41
02-21-19, 15:34
Nothing like shooting until the threat is neutralized. https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/02/20/watch-suspect-shoots-deputy-point-blank-range-gets-killed/

Bulletdog
02-21-19, 15:46
Well done officer. Thanks for taking out the trash.

Firefly
02-21-19, 15:50
That was hard to watch.

The B pillar is real

soulezoo
02-21-19, 16:01
Well, in one sense the perp got "woke" seconds before being put back to sleep.
Good job Officer Riley. This was a news story locally to me.

glocktogo
02-21-19, 16:09
Kudos to the officer, her cadence was superb. Nice controlled fire. You can hear the perp lamenting his choice about midway through the magazine.

titsonritz
02-21-19, 16:23
Morales “had at least five prior arrests for violations including possession of a concealed and loaded firearm, assault on a peace officer and driving under the influence.” There was no confirmation as to whether he was convicted on any of those counts.

And why was he still breathing air with the normal folk? At least no longer. BZ officer.

_Stormin_
02-21-19, 16:26
Well done by the officer. Damn that happens so very fast.

GH41
02-21-19, 16:37
That was hard to watch.

The B pillar is real

Did you jump when he cleared his jacket with the pistol? I did after seeing it but before he fired.

SteyrAUG
02-21-19, 18:23
Did you jump when he cleared his jacket with the pistol? I did after seeing it but before he fired.

That really happened fast.

3 AE
02-21-19, 20:45
Wished the video ran a little longer, just to see if she finished up with a reload. That was probably the sweetest sounding 15 rounds discharged that I ever heard!

Averageman
02-21-19, 21:52
Wonder if he was legal?

jsbhike
02-21-19, 22:35
Wonder if he was legal?

I was wondering if I had just missed that detail or not also.

On a lighter note, I have that hoodie. Like Soviet burlap sniper camo knocked off by Chinese slave labor with a slight digital treatment.

26 Inf
02-22-19, 00:17
I just watched the video.

She demo'ed one of the reasons I would stop force on force scenarios, talk to the student officer and reset - she forgot 'what's important now?' Is it putting rounds into the threat or talking on the radio?

We spent a lot of time on ranges drill driving it home that the first priority is handle the immediate threat, not talk on the radio.

Wake27
02-22-19, 03:36

She demo'ed one of the reasons I would stop force on force scenarios, talk to the student officer and reset - she forgot 'what's important now?' Is it putting rounds into the threat or talking on the radio?

We spent a lot of time on ranges drill driving it home that the first priority is handle the immediate threat, not talk on the radio.

Makes sense. She was so calm though, really didn’t even seem phased by it. I would’ve dropped at least three f bombs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moose-Knuckle
02-22-19, 05:24
Nothing like shooting until the threat is neutralized. https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/02/20/watch-suspect-shoots-deputy-point-blank-range-gets-killed/

In the immortal words of Everett Hitch; "That was fast".

One less astrophysicist/neurosurgeon/dreamer on this mortal coil.

Wished the video ran a little longer, just to see if she finished up with a reload. That was probably the sweetest sounding 15 rounds discharged that I ever heard!

During that most righteous of mag dumps I could swear I heard at the 0:45 mark the perp scream; "Ah yai!". No, I'm not fooling about.

grnamin
02-22-19, 05:35
Wonder if he was legal?Yes he WAS. "Was" being the operative word, now that he's dirt napping.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2019/02/video-illegal-alien-deported-three-times-killed-after-shooting-at-deputy-illegal-was-reportedly-protected-by-ca-sanctuary-laws-from-multiple-ice-detainers/

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

gaijin
02-22-19, 05:49
OOooWee!
Her lucky day indeed. And well done troop.

Wake27
02-22-19, 06:08

During that most righteous of mag dumps I could swear I heard at the 0:45 mark the perp scream; "Ah yai!". No, I'm not fooling about.

Yeah I thought he yelled “alright.” Either way, he realized that his poor decisions finally caught up with him and he’d earned some consequences. I hope she never second-guesses that she made our country a better place with that response.

jsbhike
02-22-19, 07:24
Yes he WAS. "Was" being the operative word, now that he's dirt napping.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2019/02/video-illegal-alien-deported-three-times-killed-after-shooting-at-deputy-illegal-was-reportedly-protected-by-ca-sanctuary-laws-from-multiple-ice-detainers/

I will gladly refer to him as legal when some firearms sanctuary city covers untaxed/unregistered firearms & accessories and that gets honored.

soulezoo
02-22-19, 09:02
He was illegal. Not legal at all. Reference the posted link. He was deported 3 times prior, had a rap sheet but was "sanctuaried" locally as local police ignored an ICE detainer.

flenna
02-22-19, 09:19
He was illegal. Not legal at all. Reference the posted link. He was deported 3 times prior, had a rap sheet but was "sanctuaried" locally as local police ignored an ICE detainer.

The PD involved in the shooting ignored an ICE detainer on the illegal because that is a sanctuary city.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/man-who-shot-at-california-cop-previously-deported-arrested-but-cops-wouldnt-honor-ice-detainer-feds-say

Averageman
02-22-19, 09:21
What a bunch of scumbags.

glocktogo
02-22-19, 09:34

That's what I was referring to in Post #5.

Most righteous of mag dumps indeed!

tb-av
02-22-19, 10:11

Can they set their mics to VOX activation? I was wondering about that. If somebody pulled a gun on me and started shooting like I think the last thing I would thinking about is keying a mic.... I wondered if when she went around the car she might have set it to VOX 'just in case'. So the "shots fired" was sort a verbal mental confirmation AND a call in.

tb-av
02-22-19, 10:13
The PD involved in the shooting ignored an ICE detainer on the illegal because that is a sanctuary city.

I would say Trump needs to jump on this but if he does they will try to put the Officer in prison. Which I'm sure someone is already trying to do anyway.

moonshot
02-22-19, 10:13
It's videos like that which make me nervous about possibly having to start carrying a wheel gun as primary, especially of it's my j-frame loaded with wad cutters. Even a New York reload would seem to be too slow.

Do we know how many of her rounds connected?

Good for her to have prevailed unhurt. She seemed cool, calm and collected.

Firefly
02-22-19, 10:14

Yep. She was lucky. He was either drunk or high. If he knew what he was doing that would have gone the other way.

glocktogo
02-22-19, 10:24
Can they set their mics to VOX activation? I was wondering about that. If somebody pulled a gun on me and started shooting like I think the last thing I would thinking about is keying a mic.... I wondered if when she went around the car she might have set it to VOX 'just in case'. So the "shots fired" was sort a verbal mental confirmation AND a call in.

I'm not sure it slowed her down either way. If she backed out of the line of fire, called in shots fired while drawing her weapon and moving over uneven ground without losing her footing to a superior tactical position before overwhelming the perp with sustained fire, then I'd say her multitasking skills are on point. Her OODA Loop clearly overwhelmed his. In USMC terms, she closed with and destroyed the enemy by fire and maneuver, all while maintaining tactical comms with other elements.

I'm just not sure how much MMQB'ing we can do here? :confused:

grnamin
02-22-19, 10:34

Target destroyed. End of mission. Out!

tb-av
02-22-19, 10:40

No I'm not saying she did wrong or could have done any better. It was more of... holy cow, how did she do all that so smoothly and did she have options she could have used like setting a mic to VOX after suspecting something might go south ( before she went to driver side ). No I'm certainly not grading her other than maybe A+. She got the desired result.

You know the reports say she was not physically harmed. I'm not so sure he didn't land one in her vest. Maybe not... but that flash looked to be a very near miss or hit.

austinN4
02-22-19, 10:50
She did do good, but she would not have to had done it at all if Napa County had honored ICE's detainer requests. It could have easily gone the other way.

Arik
02-22-19, 12:23
Good thing she had a camera. Could have been bad in the court of popular opinion

26 Inf
02-22-19, 13:01
I'm not sure it slowed her down either way. If she backed out of the line of fire, called in shots fired while drawing her weapon and moving over uneven ground without losing her footing to a superior tactical position before overwhelming the perp with sustained fire, then I'd say her multitasking skills are on point. Her OODA Loop clearly overwhelmed his. In USMC terms, she closed with and destroyed the enemy by fire and maneuver, all while maintaining tactical comms with other elements.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend, when to talk on the radio is something I tried to emphasize.

She prevailed that is what is important. Just because she prevailed doesn't mean that officers should not dissect and learn from the incident. She should be asking herself what could she could have done better.

I don't know about you, but it was apparent from the beginning of the passenger side contact that something was hinky. I don't know the details of time, area, or agency staffing, BUT, I'm a big boy, pretty good with my tools, and I've called for backup in similar situations.

It's hard to tell from the video how she moved from the shot, but tactically, would she have been better off taking her shots through the rear windshield or angling in from the rear passenger window, rather than flanking out and shooting as far away from cover and concealment as she did? Which gives the bad guy a better chance?

Having these thoughts/convo's gives other officers a chance to reflect on the best course of action in similar situations, it doesn't mean she did bad.

My opinion is that this is an aggressive young officer, who showed an excellent reaction to the assault.

glocktogo
02-22-19, 13:18
Sorry, didn't mean to offend, when to talk on the radio is something I tried to emphasize.

She prevailed that is what is important. Just because she prevailed doesn't mean that officers should not dissect and learn from the incident. She should be asking herself what could she could have done better.

I don't know about you, but it was apparent from the beginning of the passenger side contact that something was hinky. I don't know the details of time, area, or agency staffing, BUT, I'm a big boy, pretty good with my tools, and I've called for backup in similar situations.

It's hard to tell from the video how she moved from the shot, but tactically, would she have been better off taking her shots through the rear windshield or angling in from the rear passenger window, rather than flanking out and shooting as far away from cover and concealment as she did? Which gives the bad guy a better chance?

Having these thoughts/convo's gives other officers a chance to reflect on the best course of action in similar situations, it doesn't mean she did bad.

My opinion is that this is an aggressive young officer, who showed an excellent reaction to the assault.

Oh no offense taken by any means! My side was just part of the open dialogue we should always have after events like this, for the exact reasons you list. I was trying to figure out if I'd have done it differently myself and you're right, I probably wouldn't have touched the radio until I was done reloading and had taken hard cover, just in case he wasn't neutralized.

I might have fired from multiple positions but probably not through the rear side window, strictly as a matter of being able to cover more ground than that before I could bring the pistol to bear from a Level III holster while wearing a coat and gloves. So I'd probably be shooting through the rear glass, the passenger rear door glass and possibly the open front passenger window where she did.

I don't think I'd have gone to the rear of the patrol unit to take cover, because I've seen that fail too many times. The best cover is concentrated fire on your opponents position, especially when it can be brought to bear before hard cover can be gained.

I'm not sure I'll ever not be in awe of her proactive and decisive response in such a calm and controlled manner. She's definitely a Rock Star in my book!

lowprone
02-22-19, 15:46
I always happens fast ! When it happens !

SteyrAUG
02-22-19, 16:45
Good thing she had a camera. Could have been bad in the court of popular opinion

No kidding. "Migrant worker executed by police officer."

Arik
02-22-19, 16:46
No kidding. "Migrant worker executed by police officer."Exactly!

NWPilgrim
02-22-19, 18:10
Not being a tactical guy, I still think it was good of her to keep moving until ready to fire. There was no good cover available so movement seems a good defense while drawing.

And then shoot until target changes shape! No sound of panic or even adrenaline in her voice. Smooth, decisive and determined.

Police officers have to make split second decisions and encounter such a wide range of characters, it can’t be easy. But when you are already under fire then as a citizen I support an officer using a mag or two for insurance.

Shorts
02-22-19, 18:35
She did a great job.

Watching that vid I was waiting for a "quit reaching" or "get your hands on the steering wheel" or "quit digging". But ain't judging - her stop, her rules. That guy was squirrely for sure. Sounded like she picked up cadence on the shots when she heard him turn the car on. His "Ayyee!" was a realization he made a bad decision.

What was the red dot reflection on the car door?

Firefly
02-22-19, 18:37
She did a great job.

Watching that vid I was waiting for a "quit reaching" or "get your hands on the steering wheel" or "quit digging". But ain't judging - her stop, her rules. That guy was squirrely for sure. Sounded like she picked up cadence on the shots when she heard him turn the car on. His "Ayyee!" was a realization he made a bad decision.

What was the red dot reflection on the car door?

Bodycam “on” light.

She got lucky. I applaud her but while luck is good; you want skill. If he had “waited his turn” she’d be dead.

Shorts
02-22-19, 18:42
Bodycam “on” light.

She got lucky. I applaud her but while luck is good; you want skill. If he had “waited his turn” she’d be dead.

Oh gotcha.

Yeah, he was close, it surprised me. Before he fired he tried to get her to look away with "right there" in spanish when he rolled own the window and tried to get her to look on the ground.

Firefly
02-22-19, 19:00
you noticed that too?

Her lack of fluency saved her

Shorts
02-22-19, 19:10
you noticed that too?

Her lack of fluency saved her

Yup. I think so. I wanted to go back and see if I could see her reflection if she turned or not.

Circle_10
02-22-19, 20:14
Makes sense. She was so calm though, really didn’t even seem phased by it. I would’ve dropped at least three f bombs.

I wonder how calm she was later on.
A few years back during a snow squall I was returning from picking up a takeout order from the local Thai restaurant when I lost control of my vehicle when the road suddenly became slushy and slick and I spun into the opposite lane and was nearly in what could have been a fatal 50mph collision with several oncoming cars, however at the time things went sideways (literally in this case) I fairly nonchalantly regained control of my vehicle, decided it was time to put my Jeep into 4wheel, and continued on home unfazed. Only some time later did it dawn on me how close I'd come to being dead and I was rather shaken by the whole thing.

SteyrAUG
02-22-19, 21:41
Not being a tactical guy, I still think it was good of her to keep moving until ready to fire. There was no good cover available so movement seems a good defense while drawing.

And then shoot until target changes shape! No sound of panic or even adrenaline in her voice. Smooth, decisive and determined.

Police officers have to make split second decisions and encounter such a wide range of characters, it can’t be easy. But when you are already under fire then as a citizen I support an officer using a mag or two for insurance.

Most important thing she did was immediately recognize and appreciate the threat, and her reaction time was better than a lot of trained people I've seen.

Then she broke the line of fire, and did probably as good as anyone who just accepted the threat level and while she may have played the hokey pokey a little bit in her search for cover and desire to break the line of fire, I'd say it was B to B+ quality work for real world expectations.

And when she rather quickly assessed her situation as "get's no better than this" she hit the target hard and decisively with good effect on target. This one will be an academy training vid, it's probably the most definitive demonstration of an "oh shit" situation that I've ever seen.

SeriousStudent
02-23-19, 13:18
Damn fine work. I'd buy her a steak and a really nice bottle of Bourbon, then have her walk through the lessons learned for her fellow Deputies.

Moose-Knuckle
02-25-19, 18:52
I hope she never second-guesses that she made our country a better place with that response.

Amen to that brother man.

That's what I was referring to in Post #5.

Most righteous of mag dumps indeed!

I replayed it several times and turned up the volume and yeah that was gravity crashing down on his head.

JC5188
02-25-19, 23:04
He got a lesson in “bad things happen when you’re stupid”.