PDA

View Full Version : Are regular Marine infantry units now carrying the M4?

ABNAK
02-21-19, 18:25
Like not just NCO's and officers, but 0311 grunts?

AndyLate
02-21-19, 19:58
My son is a Marine combat engineer attached to an Infantry unit and they all carry M4s. When they rotated through the middle east (training only), they carried M4A1s with supressors, but turned then in for standard M4s upon return.

Andy

Buncheong
02-21-19, 20:24
Excellent thread, OP.

Watching this for interest chiefly to see who might still have A4s.

snackgunner
02-21-19, 20:33
https://www.facebook.com/hecklerandkoch/posts/2521788254529112?__tn__=C-R

vicious_cb
02-21-19, 20:36
Does it matter? Everyone is going to be getting HK M27 boat anchors soon.

MorphCross
02-21-19, 20:46
Does it matter? Everyone is going to be getting HK M27 boat anchors soon.

But...but...they are only a little over 2× the price of an M4 provided by FNs contract bid...and heavier...with more fiddly bits to get lost by Smuckatelli...

#416masterrace. :sarcastic:

Armadillo
02-21-19, 21:00
https://www.businessinsider.com/heckler-koch-called-marines-crayon-eaters-in-post-about-m27-rifles-2019-2

Heckler & Koch called Marines 'crayon eaters' in a viral post telling them not to break their new rifles

jpmuscle
02-21-19, 21:06
https://www.businessinsider.com/heckler-koch-called-marines-crayon-eaters-in-post-about-m27-rifles-2019-2

Heckler & Koch called Marines 'crayon eaters' in a viral post telling them not to break their new rifles

Which is hilarious

Their Instagram guy has zingers all the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26 Inf
02-21-19, 21:33
Serious concern to me is that the Marine Corps Gunners will let personal feelings override other aspects. I think an example of might be the MARSOC 1911 (remember the hype?) how much did that cost, and where are those pistols now?

The Marine Corps has authorized MARSOC operators to carry Glock pistols, since many of the elite outfit's members prefer the popular 9mm over the custom .45 pistols the service bought them in 2012.

The Corps issued a Feb. 2 Marine Administrative Message, or MARADMIN, that green-lighted Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command, or MARSOC, units to use the Glock 19, a proven design used by many units in U.S. Special Operations Command.

At roughly 1/5th the size of the Army, crusty old Marines hold a lot more sway.

Firefly
02-21-19, 22:06
They should be carrying FALs
(Okay okay I’ll stop. But at least I didn’t bring up AOC :p)

NWPilgrim
02-21-19, 23:43

Most German companies think this of all their customers. There are no product defects, just defective customers.

I guess that means the Marines are off the hook for the Vladimir’s Fulda Gap party.

Funny H&K used the Devil Dog moniker given the Marines by the Germans in WWI. You would kind of think it unwise in the same sentence to call the “devil dogs” who kicked your granddad’s hindquarters “crayon eaters.” Does that make Hans and company window lickers?

Having grown up with a WWII Marine all is can say is the rifle is irrelevant, the Marine is the weapon. :)

Moose-Knuckle
02-22-19, 05:06
They should be carrying SR-25s

It's what operators operate with operationally . . .
https://i.imgur.com/hhl68BJ.gif

montrala
02-22-19, 07:33
Funny H&K used the Devil Dog moniker given the Marines by the Germans in WWI. You would kind of think it unwise in the same sentence to call the “devil dogs” who kicked your granddad’s hindquarters “crayon eaters.” Does that make Hans and company window lickers?

I do not believe that HK USA "Social Media Girl" is actually German. I think that today people on social media are looking for things that are not there. It is so popular to dig out something that maybe someone could feel offended about. Snowflake culture. In this case, from what I know US Marines are not offended easily, but when someone manages to do that Marines can deal with that themselves. Marines also seem fit enough to carry M27 around :)

Firefly
02-22-19, 08:47
Hk was having fun selling their obsolete tranny AR to marines who have to have an act of God to not use long pike ARs.

I wish they’d make an HK416 gun with the Space Nazi barrel but with DI gas like a real AR

02-22-19, 08:54
Hk was having fun selling their obsolete tranny AR to marines who have to have an act of God to not use long pike ARs.

I wish they’d make an HK416 gun with the Space Nazi barrel but with DI gas like a real AR

Are there no equivalent barrels that one might get in a proper rifle??

jwfuhrman
02-22-19, 08:57
Which is hilarious

Their Instagram guy has zingers all the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Their Instagram/social media director is a friend of mine. He’s a former Marine himself and used to live here in Indiana, we were on the same competitive shooting team together.

Firefly
02-22-19, 09:04
Are there no equivalent barrels that one might get in a proper rifle??

Good question. They make robust barrels and they make accurate barrels but they do some swaged, Nazi Space Sorcery on those barrels especially the MR 556 to make them both.

Like you would almost put up with the weight and extra BS just for the barrel.

I wonder if someone could reverse engineer a DI conversion

Doc Safari
02-22-19, 09:10
They should be carrying FALs
(Okay okay I’ll stop. But at least I didn’t bring up AOC :p)

I bet AOC can't even spell F A L.

Eazyeach
02-22-19, 22:09
CB please bring back Les Grossman. Your old avatar was the only thing I looked forward to when it came to gun forums.

MountainRaven
02-22-19, 22:16
Most German companies think this of all their customers. There are no product defects, just defective customers.

I guess that means the Marines are off the hook for the Vladimir’s Fulda Gap party.

Having grown up with a WWII Marine all is can say is the rifle is irrelevant, the Marine is the weapon. :)

To be entirely fair, I don't believe there's a whole lot of evidence that the Germans ever actually called US Marines, "devil dogs." The alleged, "teufelhunden," is fairly awkward in German, for one thing, and first appeared in an American newspaper. "Höllenhunde," or, "hell hounds," would have been a much more likely appellation from actual Germans. I imagine that the Germans more likely referred to Americans in general as, "those damned yankees," and Marines in particular as, "those damned yankees with bird-on-balls on their helmets," - which was probably shortened to, "those damned yankees," for brevity.

Iraqgunz
02-22-19, 22:41
https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/your-marine-corps/2015/10/26/commandant-approves-m4-as-standard-weapon-for-marine-infantry/

Like not just NCO's and officers, but 0311 grunts?

ABNAK
02-23-19, 07:56
https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/your-marine-corps/2015/10/26/commandant-approves-m4-as-standard-weapon-for-marine-infantry/

I knew they were headed in that direction but wondered if it eventually came to fruition. Of course the M27 muddies the water a bit as far as it's place in the infantry units, be it SDM, SAW man, or the (hoped for) general issue.

I know as recently as the end of 2016 a friend's son went through PI and they still used the A4. Granted, that's a training facility and not the fleet. When I visited Ft. Benning 6 years ago the Army Infantry OSUT recruits were using M4's, but then again the Army has been an all-M4 force for quite a while.

SeriousStudent
02-23-19, 13:10
Serious concern to me is that the Marine Corps Gunners will let personal feelings override other aspects. I think an example of might be the MARSOC 1911 (remember the hype?) how much did that cost, and where are those pistols now?

The Marine Corps has authorized MARSOC operators to carry Glock pistols, since many of the elite outfit's members prefer the popular 9mm over the custom .45 pistols the service bought them in 2012.

The Corps issued a Feb. 2 Marine Administrative Message, or MARADMIN, that green-lighted Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command, or MARSOC, units to use the Glock 19, a proven design used by many units in U.S. Special Operations Command.

At roughly 1/5th the size of the Army, crusty old Marines hold a lot more sway.

One of them is in my safe. I got one of them when Colt resold the pistols the Marines returned.

It's a fun nostalgia gun, but I do not carry it for "realsies".