PDA

View Full Version : If You Like Your Road Kill, You Can Eat It

Doc Safari
02-22-19, 11:43
https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article226570774.html

New California bill would let drivers legally eat roadkill

Boldface mine:

You’re driving down the road at night when, out of nowhere, a deer jumps in front of your car. It doesn’t survive. It’d be a shame to let all that meat go to waste, right?

That’s the thinking behind Senate Bill 395, sponsored by Sen. Bob J. Archuleta, D-Montebello.

That bill would amend state law, as well as the Fish and Game Code, to allow drivers of vehicles that fatally strike an animal to retroactively apply for a wildlife salvage permit, at no cost, within 24 hours of the collision. The bill also would allow non-drivers who come across roadkill to salvage the dead animal.

Existing law states that while accidentally killing an animal with a vehicle isn’t illegal, salvaging it is.

My take: So, you're driving late at night. The nearest McDonald's is a good hour away, but you're starving. As an added bonus, 24 hours later when you get your permit it will be nice and RIPE. Bon Appetit!

Glad to run across this. Fast food joints are getting way too expensive.

Arik
02-22-19, 12:00
I don't think they meant you eat it right then and there

jsbhike
02-22-19, 12:08
Went to a cook out where I ate deer that was hit by an attendee on their way to said cook out once ;)

Inkslinger
02-22-19, 12:15
That’s how my old man hunts all his deer.

gunnerblue
02-22-19, 12:35
We have a similar law here in Idaho and folks take full advantage of it. Makes great wolf bait, as well

Averageman
02-22-19, 12:58
I have a friend that supplements his Dogs diets with fresh road kill deer.

GH41
02-22-19, 16:32
When I deer hunted years ago it was about an hour and half ride to the club. There was a 5 mile stretch of road through a hardwood swamp and during a full moon it wasn't unusual to see 3-4 locals working on roadkill at 3-4 o'clock in the morning. I actually saw an old man chopping of a hindquarter with an axe. People do what the have to do.

AKDoug
02-22-19, 20:30
My family has consumed hundreds of pounds of road kill moose. There are so many that the state has a process where we get on a list and they call us when they have one. Since this is 90% in the winter, no real chance of significant spoilage. I just run down with my backhoe and lift them in the back of the truck. Take the home to butcher.

BTW in Alaska, if you hit a moose you don’t get it, someone on the local list does. Stops folks from going after them with junker cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jsbhike
02-22-19, 20:39
My family has consumed hundreds of pounds of road kill moose. There are so many that the state has a process where we get on a list and they call us when they have one. Since this is 90% in the winter, no real chance of significant spoilage. I just run down with my backhoe and lift them in the back of the truck. Take the home to butcher.

BTW in Alaska, if you hit a moose you don’t get it, someone on the local list does. Stops folks from going after them with junker cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know someone who used to live in Alaska that mentioned paragraph #1. Part 2 sounds nuts.

26 Inf
02-22-19, 21:35
AKDoug, my wife watches the shows 'Alaska: The Last Frontier' and 'Alaskan Bush People.' Me not so much. But I've seen enough to ask this question: Aside from you, are there any normal people up there??

Honu
02-22-19, 22:33
we used to get pheasant in the islands
one time at the harbor our non hunting friend shows up with a pheasant before we were going out on the boat
he says look what I got :) we both were like UH dude we are going out for the day where you going to leave that and where did you get it looks kinda rough

he says OH I hit it on the road :) we asked how fast he said about 70mph when he hit it :) hahahahahaahhaahhh

we had to tell him it wont be edible he was like bummer thought I was going to have a good lunch :)

GTF425
02-22-19, 22:57
Aside from you, are there any normal people up there??

After 4 years on Fort Richardson, I have one question:

...define "normal".

AKDoug
02-23-19, 00:17
AKDoug, my wife watches the shows 'Alaska: The Last Frontier' and 'Alaskan Bush People.' Me not so much. But I've seen enough to ask this question: Aside from you, are there any normal people up there??

Plenty of normal people here. Lots of independent, honest, solid folks. I surround myself with them. I happen to live in a rural area, but travel to the major city, Anchorage, at least twice a week. I find it no different than anywhere else in America. There are kooks everywhere I have visited in the U.S. (I've visited 47 states so far)

The family on Alaskan Bush People is not even from Alaska and they've been run out of numerous towns and charged with fraud in AK. They take the money they make and head south for the winter at times. They are a bunch of losers from out of state.

As for the Last Frontier show, they are related to the singer Jewell. They have a cool story about how they came to Alaska and settled where they are at. The filming doesn't show it, but you can drive right to their houses and beyond. They do it for the money, and almost all of it is scripted.

Alaska hosts a whole bunch of stupid "reality" shows. The shit sells, so why not. It has driven our tourism industry to new heights over the last decade. One of my employees has been on two of the shows with minor parts (Buying Alaska, and the Alaska Railroad show), he pretty much won't do it again. My dealings with the producers of the Alaska Railroad show have been overall pretty negative. We ship building materials to remote locations using the Alaska R.R. They have a boom truck that travels on the rails to make the deliveries. We load them and they drive away. I signed a release that they could film the loading process. None of my guys wanted anything to do with it, so I put on my hardhat and safety vest and did it myself. We set a time of 7am... the Alaska R.R. truck was on time. We stalled for a 1/2 hour and I finally set F' it I'm loading this truck. They arrived 15 minutes later and piled out of their van demanding why the truck was loaded. I said you're late and I'm not unloading it and doing it again for you to film. They were pissed and I was more pissed. I've got zero time for those type of folks. They asked me what it was going to take and I said $1000 in cash.. they told me to F' off, I told them to get the F' out of my lumber yard. The Alaska R.R. guys got a good laugh and gave me a thumbs up.

They don't want normal people on those shows. I was approached by two different places to film our operation for shows. My dollar amount (1 million dollars per season) was a little too high for them :cool:

26 Inf
02-23-19, 18:47
Thanks for the reply.

I leave the room when most reality stuff comes on, although I do enjoy making fun of some of the dangerous tasks which are shot from the vantage point of the danger, because 'gosh, did the snake have a camera to film ol' Pete reaching in..'

I do enjoy Mike Rowe, but he regularly gives props to his camera men.

mark5pt56
02-24-19, 07:18
Va has Game Check Cards. LE can issue those on site if the driver, or police wants the deer. Sometimes, not much left to make it worth while, all depends on the hit.