PDA

View Full Version : New AR products from DS Arms

Renegade04
02-22-19, 12:02
DS Arms is now upping their game and offering new Service Series uppers and rifles. I have used DS Arms lowers, BCGs, charging handles, and upper assemblies in the past and have nothing but good things to say about them.

https://www.dsarms.com/search.aspx?searchterm=service+series

81mmcat
02-22-19, 13:26
Anyone use one of their barrels?

Renegade04
02-22-19, 13:28
Anyone use one of their barrels?

I have. I used to have two builds I did with ZM4 M4 type upper assemblies. No complaints from the accuracy. Not sure what the longevity would be like as I never put too many rounds through them before I sold off the ARs. FYI, the only reason I sold them was because I needed some spending money to buy stuff for a Hummer I use to own.

81mmcat
02-22-19, 13:38
thanks

WickedWillis
02-22-19, 14:27
Those prices, including the ones that come with freaking KAC rails are very good.

Stickman
02-22-19, 14:40
I would personally like to see them as a sponsor over here, and to participate a bit on the board.

1911-A1
02-22-19, 18:50
Wow. A $554 20" A4 upper with a KAC M5 RAS and a MATECH rear BUIS? That seems...improbable.

Given there's no B/BC/CH but still.

flenna
02-22-19, 19:22
I really do not know much about their products but the prices on their uppers are fantastic.

bad aim
02-22-19, 19:25
I really do not know much about their products but the prices on their uppers are fantastic.
That's the thing...they have really good pricing on the uppers and I know they're known for the FAL.

Would they be considered in the same league as Sionics or SOLGW?

flenna
02-22-19, 20:15
That's the thing...they have really good pricing on the uppers and I know they're known for the FAL.

Would they be considered in the same league as Sionics or SOLGW?

I don't know but Sionics is one of the best in my opinion. I have one of their uppers and it is by far my favorite rifle.

flenna
02-22-19, 20:15
Doubletap....

glockshooter
02-22-19, 21:01
I would like to know where they source their barrels. The prices on their uppers are good, but only if they are sourcing quality barrels.

ABNAK
02-22-19, 21:15
Remember, it's an HBAR, not a government profile. Look at the pics of it with the handguard off (plus I called and asked!). If you're cool with it being an HBAR then rock on!

Look at some of the smaller pics you can click on without the KAC rail on it and you'll see what I mean:

https://www.dsarms.com/p-16945-ds-arms-ar15-m16-a4-20-556x45mm-service-series-upper-receiver-assembly.aspx

JerDerv
02-23-19, 23:36
Really like what they are offering up for lightweight components as well.

h00n
02-25-19, 13:56
I want to know the gas port size on their 10.3

Kvjavs
02-25-19, 19:15
Happy to see more options coming out from DS Arms. Good people and their stuff just works. Although, I'd say their barrels are a little bit overgassed. But, that seems to be the majority of manufacturers these days.

everready73
02-26-19, 12:04
I sent them an email asking. Will update if they answer. I know they use Wilson but not sure if that is just for stainless

Stickman
02-26-19, 17:56
I sent them an email asking. Will update if they answer. I know they use Wilson but not sure if that is just for stainless

Hopefully people remember Wilson is NOT Wilson Combat, the two companies have nothing to do with each other. I only point that out because I've had more than one person brag about how cheap they were able to score a "real Wilson Combat" barrel, when what they purchased was something very different.

Barrel companies are quite capable of making high quality barrels if that is what the client is asking for, but since many people are searching for the cheapest product, that is what plenty of places spec out. I don't blame the barrel company for giving a client exactly what they ordered.

vicious_cb
02-26-19, 17:58
I want to know the gas port size on their 10.3

If this is any indication of their gas port sizing Ill take a pass on these.

DS ARMS Heavy Stainless 16 Midlength 0.087 Self-measured 1/9/2019

everready73
02-26-19, 20:17
Hopefully people remember Wilson is NOT Wilson Combat, the two companies have nothing to do with each other. I only point that out because I've had more than one person brag about how cheap they were able to score a "real Wilson Combat" barrel, when what they purchased was something very different.

Barrel companies are quite capable of making high quality barrels if that is what the client is asking for, but since many people are searching for the cheapest product, that is what plenty of places spec out. I don't blame the barrel company for giving a client exactly what they ordered.

Yes I was referring to Wilson not Wilson combat. I know Wilson blanks can be decent, at least the stainless ones because White oak uses them for their well related SPR barrel.

And I 100% agree that manufacturers will spec to what clients want price wise. I watched a primary and secondary podcast a while back that had an employee from FN sand he said that very thing. Some manufacturers want rifles built to their exact spec with specific tolerances and qc steps built into the process. This takes more machine time, employee time, and machine part changes for fresh parts.

Other companies just want to say they are using that companies barrel and want the cheapest price possible. Looser tolerances, less qc steps, less employee time and parts changes. This makes the price less but overall quality goes down too.

I think this is where the difference between something like a high quality Centurion Arms fn barrel and a lower quality PSA Fn barrel comes into play

Some people don't care and you could still get a decent FN barrel from PSA, but I would rather pay a small premium to get a barrel I know is quality from someone like Centurion

Diamondback
02-26-19, 23:52
I've been toying with getting one of these as a cheaper path to a KAC RAS--problem is I already have an M5 sitting in the Spares Box, and if I use DSA for my M4 and BCM for the girlfriend's C8 that means SHE gets the better gun. LOL (The concept there was a His/Hers set of equal quality, differing only in looks.)

Stick, in your opinion... if we built a set on identical Colt lowers with DSA 14.7 pinned M4 vs BCM 16" C8, and had them both fired by the same operator (say you shot your standard shakedown with each), how much advantage would the one have over the other?

Kvjavs
03-02-19, 00:03
I've been toying with getting one of these as a cheaper path to a KAC RAS--problem is I already have an M5 sitting in the Spares Box, and if I use DSA for my M4 and BCM for the girlfriend's C8 that means SHE gets the better gun. LOL (The concept there was a His/Hers set of equal quality, differing only in looks.)

Stick, in your opinion... if we built a set on identical Colt lowers with DSA 14.7 pinned M4 vs BCM 16" C8, and had them both fired by the same operator (say you shot your standard shakedown with each), how much advantage would the one have over the other?

I'd give the longevity edge to BCM, but that's just speculation based on gas port sizes. DSA seems to have somewhat larger gas ports.

That being said, a few years ago I was at a shoot here in IL and we had a table next to DSA. I can't recall a a single malfunction all day with their select fire ARs after a very long day of full auto shooting. We on the other hand had to pull several AKs due to malfunctions getting worse and worse.

That day changed my opinion on ARs and AKs.