PDA

View Full Version : AR6720CK-NHG

JediGuy
02-23-19, 22:30
Got one of these in with a shaved front sight base and (understandably) no delta ring assembly from Guns Midwest this month.

Anyone else know that was an option?

EDIT: this is an AR6720CK-NHG (conversation kit, no handguard)

Also note, this is actually a very welcome surprise, though I did specifically want one with front sight. I had thought about purchasing a second specifically to shave the FSB and do this.

Pictures:

https://imgur.com/a/rN0a3FY

mbinky
02-24-19, 05:38
I did not. But I have been wishing for one. Can you post a pic? Where did you buy it? I can't find any ' 6729' uppers, just the 6720.

JediGuy
02-24-19, 06:36
Posted the link to imgur, seemed a little easier than trying to post the pictures. I also corrected this to be “6720.”

Renegade04
02-24-19, 07:13
According from the ad from Guns Midwest and other I looked at, it should have a FSB and Delta ring. Here are a few of the ones I looked at.

https://www.gunsmidwest.com/colt-ar6720ck-nhg-upper-kit-5-56-16.html

https://www.opticsplanet.com/colt-ar6720ck-nhg-upper-kit-5-56-16.html

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/colt-ar6720ck-nhg-upper-kit-556-16-098289035424.do

https://www.classicfirearms.com/colt-ar6720ck-nhg-ar6720-223-remington-556-nato-161/

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/26_1038_1995/products_id/95546/Colt+Mfg+AR6720CK-NHG+AR6720+223+Remington%2F5.56+NATO+16.1+Steel+Chrome-Lined+B

ABNAK
02-24-19, 08:15
I would actually prefer the one like the OP got with the shaved FSB. Interesting.....

JediGuy
02-24-19, 08:26
I would actually prefer the one like the OP got with the shaved FSB. Interesting.....

I certainly do...just want to make sure it is “legit.”

From what I saw at other sites, as Renegade shows even more thoroughly, the ads clearly have it with a FSB...

Hammer_Man
02-24-19, 10:20
I certainly do...just want to make sure it is “legit.”

From what I saw at other sites, as Renegade shows even more thoroughly, the ads clearly have it with a FSB...

You could always contact the seller, and see if they provide you with any clues.

mbinky
02-24-19, 11:30
I would say it’s legit. Dam wish I saw these.

http://http://www.gandrtactical.com/Colt-AR6720-16-Upper-Conversion-Kit-NHG_p_243.html (http://www.gandrtactical.com/Colt-AR6720-16-Upper-Conversion-Kit-NHG_p_243.html)

MistWolf
02-24-19, 11:50
It ain't no thang to shave an FSB

556Cliff
02-24-19, 13:03
It ain't no thang to shave an FSB

True, but to have one that looks good and that is phosphated after it's been shaved is quite nice.

I think I would have a hard time not buying one of these if they became available again.

JediGuy
02-24-19, 15:05
556cliff, where I purchased has more, as far as I know. Thanks for the link to G&R, I should have checked there. I received what is in their picture. Not a knock on G&R, I’ve spent money there before; however, I paid $503 shipped. Despite the inaccurate description, I received something I really wanted and am happy.

Rick62
02-24-19, 18:50
Did the upper from Guns Midwest include a BCG and CH? It’s not mentioned in the description.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

556Cliff
02-24-19, 19:12
556cliff, where I purchased has more, as far as I know.

Thanks for the heads up.

scottryan
02-24-19, 20:03
Colt shaved the FSB on these incorrectly. They left the "web" of material between the gas tube journal and the barrel journal.

ABNAK
02-24-19, 20:06
Colt shaved the FSB on these incorrectly. They left the "web" of material between the gas tube journal and the barrel journal.

Do you mean it's not "rounded" enough (best way I can think of to say it). Like the top on the front and rear could be rounded more and less flat?

JediGuy
02-24-19, 20:10
Did the upper from Guns Midwest include a BCG and CH? It’s not mentioned in the description.

Included was the assembled upper receiver, bolt carrier group, and charging handle.

JediGuy
02-24-19, 20:18

Is this what you’re talking about? Kinda like they did the job halfway?

ABNAK
02-24-19, 20:41

I'm gonna guess that is what he was referring to. I have a Colt 6920 OEM-2 and the shaving looks MUCH better than that pic, much more "rounded" and slim-line.

ABNAK
02-24-19, 20:45
I would LOVE to have a 6960 CCU upper in that configuration, i.e. no handguard. I never expected this configuration so maybe they will do it for the CCU also one of these days.

Rick62
02-24-19, 21:30
Included was the assembled upper receiver, bolt carrier group, and charging handle.

Thanks; that is a screaming deal.

ABNAK
02-25-19, 07:34
Thanks; that is a screaming deal.

Yeah, not too bad of a deal but doesn't beat the 6920 OEM-2 I got (the whole gun) for $605 shipped when Arms Unlimited was closing them out!

That said, I'd have rather had the OP's upper with the lower for that $605 I paid.

JediGuy
02-25-19, 11:03
Yeah, not too bad of a deal but doesn't beat the 6920 OEM-2 I got (the whole gun) for $605 shipped when Arms Unlimited was closing them out!

That said, I'd have rather had the OP's upper with the lower for that $605 I paid.

Well, I should have bought two from AU.
Guess what lower I’m going to drop this 6720 upper on... :)

JediGuy
02-25-19, 22:36
Definitely will require more work on that FSB to fit on any modern slim rails. Contacts the inner wall of the spare SOCC, and I can already see would do the same for a Centurion. Would be nice to hear if that’s normal for these or just the one I got.

scottryan
02-26-19, 15:18

Correct.

That extra material does not allow the gas block to fit correctly with most handguards. More failure.

I've come to the conclusion that Colt has no idea what they are doing. Seems like nobody there has actually ever handled an AR-15 other than a basic M4 carbine configuration with triangle front sight.

I was going to buy one of these and outfit it with the new Larue MLOK slim rail, but nope! I'd have to sent it to SAW to have the gas block shaved more.

I could just buy another SR-15 MOD 2 16" instead.

wetidlerjr
02-26-19, 16:12
Definitely will require more work on that FSB to fit on any modern slim rails. Contacts the inner wall of the spare SOCC, and I can already see would do the same for a Centurion. Would be nice to hear if that’s normal for these or just the one I got.
I have a new 6960 (Centurion MLOK) with a properly shaved FSB. I would say this (your shaved FSB) is a QC issue and would assume it is "out of the ordinary".

ABNAK
02-26-19, 18:09
The gas block (FSB) on my 6920 OEM-2 is shaved perfectly. It is NOT shaved like the one in the photo we're all talking about.

Stickman
02-26-19, 18:24
Hit it with a belt sander, dremel, or grinder if it is an issue and move on. You got a great price, and I think you did well.

scottryan
02-27-19, 14:04
Hit it with a belt sander, dremel, or grinder if it is an issue and move on. You got a great price, and I think you did well.

I don't agree with that at all or the price for what you get.

I shouldn't have to hillbilly bubba gunsmith on a rifle this expensive.

wetidlerjr
02-27-19, 14:42
I don't agree with that at all or the price for what you get.
I shouldn't have to hillbilly bubba gunsmith on a rifle this expensive.

I know what you mean. My belt sander got away from me when I worked on this pistol.

CPM
02-27-19, 15:22
Colt has become a disaster. Extra punches in my 6920 carrier. When I called they wanted me to send the whole rifle in, instead of replacing the carrier. Just got a lower with the grip screw cross threaded, could barely remove the stock grip, couldn’t get a new grip on. Sent it back to Colt where it sat for three months. I still don’t trust the new threads. I keep expecting the grip to get ripped off on my run and guns.

Just bought a Wiley Clapp commander off gunbroker and it is the single worst fit 1911 I have ever handled, let alone owned. It’s accurate and it shoots, but at those prices it’s an embarrassment.

Colt is the perfect example of resting on one’s laurels. Their reliance on their history has made them a disaster now. Their customer service is atrocious- go ahead and try calling them. I did, to discuss my WC, and was unable to even leave a message- let alone speak to anyone.

Just bought another BCM. They’re customer service blows too, but their fit and finish is significantly better.

JediGuy
02-27-19, 21:36
A little observation on our sponsor’s listing of this item clearly shows that this is how Colt produces these. I would imagine they fit OK under the older Troy handguards or other less slim options. But certain half-a’ed.

kuma
03-19-19, 15:25
I just got one today from Classic Firearms. It's got the shaved FSP, but mine doesn't look like the sides were shaved any like the photos on here.

ABNAK
03-19-19, 17:53
I just got one today from Classic Firearms. It's got the shaved FSP, but mine doesn't look like the sides were shaved any like the photos on here.

So they weren't "squared" off? i.e. they were more rounded to fit under just about all handguards?

kuma
03-19-19, 18:49
Should have been more clear ... Mine looks a lot like the OP's photos of his -- sides are pretty square. Believe it will require some sanding/grinding to clear the Centurion Arms C4 rail I plan to install.

JediGuy
03-19-19, 21:24
Ultimately, I returned mine. Very cool for what it is, but I really wanted a FSB on the upper. ADCO will shave it for a pretty decent price, though, if you want.

1986s4
01-05-24, 07:32
Seeing this tread reminds me that I have an upper receiver with Centurion C7 rail [the one that extends past the FSB on the sides] with a cut down to 14.7" pin and weld A2. All work was performed by Adco. They put a little collar on the cut off end so the A2 would have something solid to butt up against. It's lightly used and I'm looking to sell, just haven't taken the time to post it. Also I have another Colt 6720 barrel with FSB, 16" unmolested. Also willing to sell to fund other projects.