PDA

View Full Version : The Animatrix (Review)

WillBrink
02-24-19, 17:10
Fans of The Matrix or good anime, will enjoy this one. "The Animatrix is a collection of several animated short films, detailing the backstory of the "Matrix" universe, and the original war between man and machines..." Worth a watch B+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwKJsRU6V_s

Firefly
02-24-19, 18:32
I...I think I had this on VHS..

Boy are you late to the party. Anyways...at the time Matrix was cool but now I can only watch the first one. It got too pretentious.

Anyways, skip all this and go watch Alita

kwelz
02-24-19, 18:35
Going old school on this one. I like it back in the day. Wonder how it has aged.

And as Firefly said. Go watch Alita.

WillBrink
02-24-19, 18:39
Going old school on this one. I like it back in the day. Wonder how it has aged.

And as Firefly said. Go watch Alita.

I'll rent it when it's out, but can't say it looked like it held much promise.

Firefly
02-24-19, 18:44
I'll rent it when it's out, but can't say it looked like it held much promise.

GO SEE IT IN IMAX 3D RIGHT NOW!!!!!1

It's up there with Ninja Commando. You will hate yourself if you wait

kwelz
02-24-19, 18:46

A a fan of the Anime I have seen it twice now. You can tell it was a labor of love by Cameron.

Firefly
02-24-19, 18:47

horribly. The CGI that was good back then is weird now. The story of the kid who meets Neo is probably the only one thst held up. He also makes a brief appearance in Revolutions

vandal5
02-25-19, 05:04
As soon as I heard that Neo had the same alarm clock beep I started to question my own reality!

On its own the Animatrix is okay but it should really be watched after the Matrix. It helps to fill in the background history to get to where Neo''s story takes place. I probably haven't watched this in over 10 years, so I forget most of what happened.

Tx_Aggie
02-25-19, 08:19
Fans of The Matrix or good anime, will enjoy this one. "The Animatrix is a collection of several animated short films, detailing the backstory of the "Matrix" universe, and the original war between man and machines..." Worth a watch B+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwKJsRU6V_s

I haven't seen this in years, will have to rewatch. Thanks for the reminder!

Outlander Systems
02-25-19, 08:33
Zero reason to watch this; we're already living in the prequel.

vandal5
02-25-19, 08:43
Zero reason to watch this; we're already living in the prequel.
I agree with this, people are more plugged in than ever.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Firefly
02-25-19, 09:38
You all might be in the Matrix prequel. Not me. nuts to Kung Fu. I am up on my Panzer Kunst

vandal5
02-25-19, 10:00
You all might be in the Matrix prequel. Not me. nuts to Kung Fu. I am up on my Panzer Kunst
I am watching green text scroll down my screen... but it's not sushi recipes [emoji45]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

WillBrink
02-25-19, 12:03

A a fan of the Anime I have seen it twice now. You can tell it was a labor of love by Cameron.

It's not getting very good reviews. I can say I saw Avatar 3D and really enjoyed, but when I rented it to see it again, it sucked, making me realize it was truly the A 3D experience that made it worth watching. Also, most of Robert Rodriguez movies suck, so that's another one making it tough for me to go sit in a movie theater.

Tx_Aggie
02-25-19, 14:48
It's not getting very good reviews.

Yep, it seems like many critics hate it and were calling it a flop a month or more before the release date.

Audience scores seem to be higher though, at 94% on RT and 8.6/10 on Metacritic.

IMDB has it at a weighted average of 7.6, putting it in the neighborhood of, and higher than many, big name block busters including several of the Marvel movies. Compared to the super hero stuff (maybe not relevant to your taste, but probably a reasonable comparison, I think) Alita is currently rated higher on IMDB than Iron Man 2 & 3, Ant Man 1 & 2, Captain America 1, Spiderman Homecoming, Avengers 2, Dr. Strange, Thor 1 & 2, Black Panther, and Wonder Woman, and is within a point of Guardians 2. Admittedly that's with only 50,000 user ratings, so it could go down, or up, over time.

The movie does have a young adult feel to it, but I don't think it deserves the critical mauling it got prior to it's release.

I can say I saw Avatar 3D and really enjoyed, but when I rented it to see it again, it sucked, making me realize it was truly the A 3D experience that made it worth watching.

This is a good point. I really hadn't watched any of the trailers for Alita before watching it (had forgotten it was coming), but after seeing the movie in 3D and then going back to watch a few video clips on my computer, the CGI really does look much better, and the Alita character especially is much more convincing, in the theater. It's likely a movie that will be more enjoyable in the theater than at home (unless you have a really top notch home theater). I certainly wouldn't have enjoyed it as much if viewing it at home on BluRay or DVD for the first time.