PDA

View Full Version : Shield 2.0 w/ Apex Kit

sundance435
02-26-19, 07:31
Anyone running one of these? Anyone know of a dealer that will sell one w/ the Apex kit installed? Looking at getting one to try against my Glock 43. The factory trigger on the 2.0 that I handled at a local shop wasn't actually that bad, but I like Apex parts so I'd probably get the kit minus the trigger.

Thanks

Caduceus
02-26-19, 10:44
Just DIY?

I've done a few Apex kits and they aren't too bad. I'm not mechanically inclined and I still made it by watching videos.

That being said, I know some parts (on some guns, not sure the Shield) required removing the rear sight. That was a bit of a hassle for me. I'd say watch the Apex videos, see what entails, then if it's pretty straight forward, just give it a try.

Another thought is calling up a dealer that sells both and see if they'll do it. Sportsmans Outdoors once threw on a set of night sights to a pistol (I'd bought both at the same time, didnt' say anything about putting them on, they just did it).

sundance435
02-26-19, 11:26
Just DIY?

I've done a few Apex kits and they aren't too bad. I'm not mechanically inclined and I still made it by watching videos.

That being said, I know some parts (on some guns, not sure the Shield) required removing the rear sight. That was a bit of a hassle for me. I'd say watch the Apex videos, see what entails, then if it's pretty straight forward, just give it a try.

Another thought is calling up a dealer that sells both and see if they'll do it. Sportsmans Outdoors once threw on a set of night sights to a pistol (I'd bought both at the same time, didnt' say anything about putting them on, they just did it).

I'm pretty sure it does require removing the rear sight, which is a dumb design feature, and I don't have the appropriate sight tools. Just seeing if anyone on here had someone they'd recommend for a one-stop shop.

SiGfever
02-26-19, 19:47
My Shield v2.0 has a pretty nice trigger right out of the box. The v1.0 that I had tried in the past had a terrible trigger.

Ron3
02-26-19, 20:17
I'm pretty sure it does require removing the rear sight, which is a dumb design feature, and I don't have the appropriate sight tools. Just seeing if anyone on here had someone they'd recommend for a one-stop shop.

I did my .45 full-size 2.0.

It wasn't hard. Put a torch (or whatever) you have to the rear sight screw to heat it up and melt the loc-tite. Use hex wrench. Once it moves just a tad rock it back and forth just a little. Now remove it. (It's very short) Use a plastic or brass (or steel, but you'll leave a mark) punch and drift over the sight. (take a picture or just eyeball where it was)

When it's almost out of the dovetail move very slowly as the disconnect spring will try to launch it and a disc-shaped part out. Just cover it with your hand. Once the sight is off the disconnector comes right out.

Remove the rear plate on the slide and push out the striker just like a Glock.

Clean / Polish / whatever.

Put it back in the reverse order. Clean the rear sight screw hole, threads, and screw with alcohol to remove oil and the old loc-tite. (You don't have to get all the old loc-tite residue off, really) Apply a little Red loctite and tighten with wrench. Don't cross-thread it. It does not need to be very tight.

While it would be nice for the disconnector to come out of the bottom like a Glock, it doesn't. The reason for the set-screw and loc-tite is that if the screw were to fall out AND the slide to drift out of the dovetail, the disconnector would fly out and the gun would not work.

As for me, the trigger was pretty good, I just wanted to clean up the grittiness in the initial slack of the trigger pull.

Maybe I wasn't aggressive enough as I only used polishing rouge. But I also cleaned the area really well. In the end, the initial slack fell slightly different but wasn't any better. :(

Ah, well. I tried. Still, I shoot the pistol really well.