PDA

View Full Version : Triarc ar15

Clyde777
02-26-19, 11:19
I am getting a triarc 13.9 pinned upper and was wonder if anyone has used their uppers or rifles? How reliable are they with 2.22/5.56 55g and up? I noticed they use a .073 gas port size is that enough gas for a 13.9 midlength barrel?

BPDKar98k
02-26-19, 14:47
You just created another thread stating that you were buying a PWS upper. It sounds like you are not sure what you want. What are you intending to use this weapon for? What are you looking to get out of it? How did you decide on these two uppers?

Clyde777
02-26-19, 14:51
I was gonna do the pws upper but ended up trading someone for theirs so I still need an upper for my bcm lower. I am looking for an upper that would be as short as possible pinned and came with a geissele mk8 rail for strength. Which they offer. I want something ultra reliable with most 223 and 556 ammo. Its gonna be my truck and training course gun.

Eurodriver
02-26-19, 14:59
If you want ultra reliable why are you going with Triac?

Why do you need your hand guard to be strong? You’d be fine with a Magpul MOE for every conceivable circumstance.

BPDKar98k
02-26-19, 15:02
IMO I would not recommend going with a pin and welded muzzle device. I know you want something shorter than a standard 16" gun but when all is said and done you really aren't gaining much after pinning on a long muzzle device. If you ever want to change anything on the upper (handguard/muzzle device) you're kind of stuck with it unless you send it out to get unpinned/cut off. If you really need a shorter barrel for vehicle deployment you're better off just going the SBR route. The BATFE e-form system is back up and running and from what I've heard most people are getting their stamps in less than a month. If you don't wish to go that route you could always go the pistol brace route. I would avoid a pin and weld at all costs.

Wake27
02-26-19, 15:16
IMO I would not recommend going with a pin and welded muzzle device. I know you want something shorter than a standard 16" gun but when all is said and done you really aren't gaining much after pinning on a long muzzle device. If you ever want to change anything on the upper (handguard/muzzle device) you're kind of stuck with it unless you send it out to get unpinned/cut off. If you really need a shorter barrel for vehicle deployment you're better off just going the SBR route. The BATFE e-form system is back up and running and from what I've heard most people are getting their stamps in less than a month. If you don't wish to go that route you could always go the pistol brace route. I would avoid a pin and weld at all costs.

Pistol brace may get you shorter but far more issues than a P/W. They’ll be banned at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clyde777
02-26-19, 15:31
Eurodriver are you implying that triarc is unreliable? If so why do you say that?

Eurodriver
02-26-19, 15:41
Eurodriver are you implying that triarc is unreliable? If so why do you say that?

I’m not implying a thing. I’m just asking why you would go with a company like Triarc if you want “ultra reliability”.

Clyde777
02-26-19, 15:43
I have a few friends that swear by them but I haven't heard much about them so I am trying to find out if they are reliable. What would you recommend for ultra reliability?

Caduceus
02-26-19, 16:11
This is crazy talk, but BCM actually sells uppers too. And they're pretty well thought of.

Clyde777
02-26-19, 16:28
I have a few bcm rifles I was looking for something different. I am just trying to find out from the people with triarc rifles or their barrels if they are reliable.

Caduceus
02-26-19, 16:46
ok, I guess that makes sense. would make it easier if you put all that in your OP.

My opinion, mags, ammo and lube are part of the "ultra reliable" formula too. You use Uncle Jerry's bubba'd reloads with a 1970 VN left over, lubed with talcum powder, you'll have issues independent of manufacturer.

Stickman
02-26-19, 17:36
Why do you need your hand guard to be strong? You’d be fine with a Magpul MOE for every conceivable circumstance.

I don't personally know the OP, so I'll guess you do. I would ask the opposite question, who would you possibly want a handguard that isn't strong? I think polymer handguards work well from an OEM perspective, but I don't see why anyone who intends to use a weapon on a regular basis would retain them.

Stickman
02-26-19, 17:38
I have a few bcm rifles I was looking for something different. I am just trying to find out from the people with triarc rifles or their barrels if they are reliable.

I wouldn't worry about a pinned FS, if for some reason you decide you absolutely can't live with it anymore, you can cut it off. It isn't the end of the world, and it certainly isn't like you can only have one upper receiver group. I would guess most people have multiples, with some of us having a cornucopia of goodness.

Clyde777
02-26-19, 18:09
Yeah I have a few 16" guns that I tinker with but I was looking to add a 14.5 pinned upper with a geissele mk8 rail which triarc has I just didnt know if their guns were reliable.

Wake27
02-26-19, 18:15
There are a few IG gunbunnies that seem to love them. I just saw a post of one of their 2011s at 3100 rounds without cleaning. I’d assume they’re reliable, but there’s just not a ton out there. Go for it, and let us know.

Stickman
02-26-19, 18:48
There are a few IG gunbunnies that seem to love them.

Companies make me want to vomit sending stuff to people that have no idea how a weapon functions, how to actually use it aside from posing, and just throw an item in with breasts to be photographed.

Part of me wants to say that it must work, or the companies wouldn't send girls stuff, but it was pointed out to me recently that there is a little bit more involved, and guys are just getting played because they are horny in some of the companies. It was a bit of a shock to hear senior people in companies acknowledge this.

Its not the end of the world and doesn't have an affect in what I do, but I would rather see the items go to guys who will use something AND can provide feedback. Then again, Mrs Stick is a total hottie, so I'm happily biased.

Wake27
02-26-19, 18:56
Companies make me want to vomit sending stuff to people that have no idea how a weapon functions, how to actually use it aside from posing, and just throw an item in with breasts to be photographed.

Part of me wants to say that it must work, or the companies wouldn't send girls stuff, but it was pointed out to me recently that there is a little bit more involved, and guys are just getting played because they are horny in some of the companies. It was a bit of a shock to hear senior people in companies acknowledge this.

Its not the end of the world and doesn't have an affect in what I do, but I would rather see the items go to guys who will use something AND can provide feedback. Then again, Mrs Stick is a total hottie, so I'm happily biased.

I meant the dude gunbunnies. I’m blanking on their real names but Ronin Tactics and Nine Banger are the ones that I can think of off the top of my head. Pretty sure Garand Thumb had good things to say too. I don’t actually know of any companies that use real gunbunnies, aside from the OAF Noveske vid from a few years ago. That wasn’t really my thing, and yet I still bought one.

02-26-19, 19:03
I don't personally know the OP, so I'll guess you do. I would ask the opposite question, who would you possibly want a handguard that isn't strong? I think polymer handguards work well from an OEM perspective, but I don't see why anyone who intends to use a weapon on a regular basis would retain them.

I don’t personally prefer carbine length plastic handguards, but there is no strength issue with them. In fact there is no issue at all, unless you like long handguards on short barrels.

Stickman
02-26-19, 19:14
I don’t personally prefer carbine length plastic handguards, but there is no strength issue with them. In fact there is no issue at all, unless you like long handguards on short barrels.

Forward mounting of lights with variable options, zeroing needed items, as well as other reasons. Polymer handguards are a clear degradation of the system as compared to its modern counterparts. That doesn't mean they won't work for people, but there is no getting around the fact that polymer handguards are not typically an asset.

Stickman
02-26-19, 19:16
I meant the dude gunbunnies. I’m blanking on their real names but Ronin Tactics and Nine Banger are the ones that I can think of off the top of my head. Pretty sure Garand Thumb had good things to say too. I don’t actually know of any companies that use real gunbunnies, aside from the OAF Noveske vid from a few years ago. That wasn’t really my thing, and yet I still bought one.

I think we have different versions of gun bunnies.... GT knows his way around a weapon and is pretty credible. Then again, I don't watch gun videos or check IG gun stuff unless a buddy sends it to me. That, and gunbunnies being female. :D

everready73
02-26-19, 20:00
Garand thumb does have a video out on their rifle and gave it good feedback. He actually tests the rifles with decent round counts and I think his opinion is non biased for the most part

They seem to use quality components but at the price they charge there are better vetted options imo.

The complete rifles are LMT/Knight's pricing depending on model and I would go with them or BCM, Sionics, centurion for less money

Tx_Aggie
02-26-19, 20:24
I have a Triarc 14.5 middy upper (pinned Warcomp) that I've been very pleased with.

Clyde777
02-26-19, 20:35
How reliable has it been with different kinds of 223/556 ammo?

Tx_Aggie
02-26-19, 21:48
How reliable has it been with different kinds of 223/556 ammo?

It runs fine on the full pressure 5.56 that I've shot through it, no issues or hiccups at all. I haven't tried any really cheap stuff (like wolf/tula/etc.) and I can't say how reliable it is with lower pressure (223) ammo as I haven't tried any of that either. It seems to be correctly gassed for 5.56, so it might have some issues with the more anemic stuff (not unheard of for properly gasses 14.5 mid-lengths). Or maybe not. As cheap as good 5.56 is these days, why shoot anything else?

jerrysimons
02-27-19, 01:39
I am getting a triarc 13.9 pinned upper and was wonder if anyone has used their uppers or rifles? How reliable are they with 2.22/5.56 55g and up? I noticed they use a .073 gas port size is that enough gas for a 13.9 midlength barrel?

That is very conservatively gassed. Clint would know better but that might be on the edge with unsupressed .223.

Eurodriver
02-27-19, 04:48

Why do you say that? I’ve driven over polymer handguards with a 4Runner - five or six times - with no issues.

I would argue that a lot of metal handguards would not have faired as well as the MOEs did. Considering MOEs are $28, even if a particular metal one was functionally stronger at all, which I doubt, it wouldn’t be 10x stronger.

Magpul MOEs are not strong enough for the average user, they are strong in their own right. With the average user shooting to 200y max, not using lasers for NV, and never shooting from barriers an MOE would be perfect for nearly everyone except those who drool over the cool photos you take.

Firefly
02-27-19, 13:38
The only non-standard handguard I’d put to the 4runner test is an LMT MRP.

Otherwise naw.

Regular handguards like a MOE aren’t totally married to the nut and can allow for flexing.

The asset of a FF rail can be its undoing too

Clint
02-27-19, 19:21
It seems a little light, but differences in chamber and bore can affect required sizes somewhat.

It's probably fine with 556 and a light CAR buffer.

PMC and an A5 with green spring and a loose hold may be a different story.

That is very conservatively gassed. Clint would know better but that might be on the edge with unsupressed .223.

Clyde777
02-27-19, 21:18
They use SEP rifling and supposedly that doesn't let as much gas escape past the bullet therefor providing more gas. How true is that? No idea. @tx aggie what buffer weight/spring combo are you using? I see on their website they recommend an h buffer and springco blue spring which seems like it would cause issues with such a small gas port.

jerrysimons
02-27-19, 21:44
They use SEP rifling and supposedly that aids in not letting as much gas escape therefor providing more gas. How true is that? No idea. @tx aggie what buffer weight/spring combo are you using? I see on their website they recommend an h buffer and springco blue spring which seems like it would cause issues with such a small gas port.

Interesting, looked them up. They also offer some primarily suppressed gassed barrels. Maybe that was it or maybe the dimensions of the Single Edge Polygonal rifling (square on one edge polygonal on the other) effects the bore volume enough to drop port sizes. Mark M mentioned once that he put the same size gas-block insert into two different barreled uppers with the same overall length and the same length gas-system, one still ran too hard the other was right on. Those internal barrel bore and chamber variables might matter more than we typically have considered when comparing barrels from different companies.

Tx_Aggie
02-27-19, 21:55
They use SEP rifling and supposedly that doesn't let as much gas escape past the bullet therefor providing more gas. How true is that? No idea. @tx aggie what buffer weight/spring combo are you using? I see on their website they recommend an h buffer and springco blue spring which seems like it would cause issues with such a small gas port.

I've been using a standard power carbine spring and an H buffer.

HCM
02-27-19, 21:57
Two data points:

1) Will Petty Of Centerfuge Training is running a Tri Arc AR and has had positive feedback so far.

2) Tri Arc has gotten “hot”recently but they have been around for several years. I first heard of them 4 or 5 years ago when an LE Agency local to me re-barreled their Colt AR’s with Tri Arc barrels as part of a move to free float handguards. They have had positive results so far.

Run N Shoot
02-28-19, 17:21
I don’t personally know anyone with one if their rifles but I was considering them at one point while I continue to look for a new present to myself. One thing on my wishlist is an ambi lower and they do check that box. I tend to watch Garand’s reviews and listen to what he has to say. Sounds like they put out nice product with a price tag to match.
I ended up taking them off the list of options after the NRA show last year for personal reasons. Good luck whatever way you decide to go.

hotrodder636
02-28-19, 17:51
Agree that the large majority of Americans will be well served with an MOE. I don’t have numbers but would be willing to bet most AR owners in America shoot well under 1000 rounds per year at paper in an indoor range.
With that said, there are other and/or better options for those who train regularly, rely on for duty or home defense.

Why do you say that? I’ve driven over polymer handguards with a 4Runner - five or six times - with no issues.

I would argue that a lot of metal handguards would not have faired as well as the MOEs did. Considering MOEs are $28, even if a particular metal one was functionally stronger at all, which I doubt, it wouldn’t be 10x stronger.

Magpul MOEs are not strong enough for the average user, they are strong in their own right. With the average user shooting to 200y max, not using lasers for NV, and never shooting from barriers an MOE would be perfect for nearly everyone except those who drool over the cool photos you take.

Clyde777
02-28-19, 17:54
What about the NRA show put a bad taste in your mouth about them?

Run N Shoot
02-28-19, 18:05
Nothing product related. I am by my own admission a vindictive consumer so even as it petty as it sounds I was at their booth for a while looking at one of their rifles and testing the ambi controls but no one ever came over to even engage so I wandered off. They have very nice products but if I am going to drop close to $2k on a rifle I have pretty high standards. I am probably just a jerk but i can at least admit it.
Right now I am leaning heavily to ADM for a complete rifle. They have been very responsive via email so that is worth quite a bit in my book.

Clyde777
02-28-19, 18:06
ADM mod 2 is an amazing rifle for ambi.

Wake27
05-13-19, 20:07
Any more thoughts on these? I'm debating between Triarc and KAC. I know Knights would be the obvious recommendation because of the track record, but Triarc has a solid deal for LE/MIL through DSG Arms on a complete gun that would cost just barley more than a KAC upper. It’d be awesome to see some load testing with velocity and precision between similar Triarc and KAC barrels.

Eurodriver
05-13-19, 21:31
Any more thoughts on these? I'm debating between Triarc and KAC. I know Knights would be the obvious recommendation because of the track record, but Triarc has a solid deal for LE/MIL through DSG Arms on a complete gun that would cost just barley more than a KAC upper. It’d be awesome to see some load testing with velocity and precision between similar Triarc and KAC barrels.

You’re an officer in the United States Army.

Act like it.

jpmuscle
05-13-19, 22:10

Act like it.

Which translates to buy the KAC

Clyde777
05-14-19, 09:25
I can’t speak to how it compares to a KAC but what I will say is so far I am extremely happy with my triarc. Shoots about 1 moa for me and has been dead nuts reliable for the first 1500 rounds and a carbine course. It shoots softer than my 14.5 middy which is crazy to me. I also don’t worry about having to baby the rail cause it came with the mk8 rail and I’ve banged the shit out of it during said carbine class.

contax_shooter
05-14-19, 15:07

Do you want the pinnacle of the system or another assembled rifle? Will the Triarc do anything differently than your current stable?

Wake27
05-14-19, 20:36

Act like it.

Ha, I feel slightly ashamed for even asking when you put it like that. But, it’d be a backup gun, or it’d take over as primary and move my current to back up, so it’s far from a need. It’s more of my prepper side thinking that I need at least one more good AR and the pricing on that specific Triarc rifle is in line with most complete BCMs or a KAC upper. If BCM is the 50% solution, Triarc is the 75%, and KAC and Hodge are the [emoji817], that’s a good amount of gun for the money.

scooter22
05-14-19, 20:53
I remember when this forum wasn't TOS.

OP, get what you want. I'm sure Triarc will be fine, but I wouldn't forget about known manufacturers that offer great products at affordable prices (BCM, Sionics, SOLGW).

Wake27
05-14-19, 21:35
I remember when this forum wasn't TOS.

OP, get what you want. I'm sure Triarc will be fine, but I wouldn't forget about known manufacturers that offer great products at affordable prices (BCM, Sionics, SOLGW).

I remember when people used to read the whole thread.

Duffy
05-14-19, 21:53
No experience with Triarc, plenty of it with SOLGW and Sionics, both highly professional and meticulous manufacturers. If Triarc compares well to them and BCM, then it's good to go in my book.

AAMP84
05-14-19, 23:10
Ha, I feel slightly ashamed for even asking when you put it like that. But, it’d be a backup gun, or it’d take over as primary and move my current to back up, so it’s far from a need. It’s more of my prepper side thinking that I need at least one more good AR and the pricing on that specific Triarc rifle is in line with most complete BCMs or a KAC upper. If BCM is the 50% solution, Triarc is the 75%, and KAC and Hodge are the [emoji817], that’s a good amount of gun for the money.

If the price is right for you, go for it. They use respected manufactures for their parts so I wouldn't have any reservations about using their rifles. But the prices without the LE/MIL reflect their boutique status, and the only parts are really desirable to me are the barrels and maybe their 7 sided wedge lock rails.

RVTMaverick
05-15-19, 07:08

Hey Wake.... LMAO here above Highlighted.

I just finished reading this thread (5 pages I think it is) and after reading said thread, I Still don't know, Who makes and or what a "Triarc ar15" is... Can someone hook me up with the information to look at this?

TIA

methical20
05-15-19, 09:03

I just finished reading this thread (5 pages I think it is) and after reading said thread, I Still don't know, Who makes and or what a "Triarc ar15" is... Can someone hook me up with the information to look at this?

TIA

Go to Google, type in "Triarc AR15" and you should find more than enough information.

methical20
05-15-19, 09:04

TIA

You've been a member here since 2014 and you have 349 posts.

I'll "hook" you up - go to Google, type in "Triarc AR15" and you should find more than enough information.

RVTMaverick
05-15-19, 09:45
Thanks.... and thanks for MY states. 350

You've been a member here since 2014 and you have 349 posts.

I'll "hook" you up - go to Google, type in "Triarc AR15" and you should find more than enough information.

scooter22
05-15-19, 11:28
I remember when people used to read the whole thread.

Oh, trust me; I did.

Sry0fcr
05-15-19, 15:55
I've never heard of Triarc, so I Googled them. Good to know they're Texas based, but I'm not seeing anything that stands out besides ambi-controls, cool paint,
laser engraving & hydro dip graphics. Website is full of marketing jargon and unverified claims about their barrels.

If I'm dropping that kinda money, go big or go home KAC maybe Radian.

GAST
05-15-19, 17:40
I have a pinned and welded 14.5 Triarc rifle, and a few other brands of rifles to include KAC. The Triarc is a great rifle, reliable and accurate. I can't say sub MOA, but at my 50 yd zero with a RDS my groups consistently touch.

I stick with the forged receivers as a general rule, but overall I like the ability to just order a rifle how I want it built. That was the main attraction for me, and they had great customer service to back it up. Overall, I have nothing negative to say about it, it has had no ammo related issues. To be fair, I don't shoot really crappy or extra cheap ammo.

My 2009ish 11.5 KAC is my fav though, so it's not a fair comparison. Nostalgia and all that.

Let us know what you decide to purchase.

Eurodriver
05-16-19, 03:44

Haha. I understand totally. I’ve got no experience with Triarc so by default I have to recommend KAC. If you do get the triarc you should post a review here