PDA

View Full Version : A5 Questions

0uTkAsT
02-26-19, 13:03
I've been told repeatedly that I need to give the A5 system a shot and I'm trying to decide where to start. The first gun I'd convert is an 11.5" BCM that I run suppressed full-time with a 5.56-capped Sandman K. Based on everything I've read, I believe the barrel has a .073" gas port. I currently run this setup with an H3-weighted Geissele Super 42 buffer and spring.

Questions:
- Is the A5 a worthwhile upgrade on a gun that already runs like a top, or is it like sprinkles on a cupcake that don't make it taste better but make you feel happier about eating it?
- Do A5 buffers use mil spec buffer weights, i.e. can I rob steel or tungsten weights from one of my spare carbine buffers to tune the A5 or are they proprietary?
- Should I start with an A5H4 and work down or an A5H2 and work up? Does it matter?
- How many Instagram followers will I gain after installation? :p

Thanks in advance for any pointers (hopefully the pointers aren't of the middle finger variety).

3 AE
02-26-19, 14:57
".....on a gun that already runs like a top". There you go, why spend the money/time if it's already running great?

alx01
02-26-19, 15:11
Let me give it a shot:

- in my opinion A5 would probably work better (i.e. in a wider range of uppers and ammo variance) vs Geissele Super 42. Will you see a difference - probably not as much as you expect to be honest.
- Yes, A5 uses mil-spec buffer weights - it's just got 4 weights instead of 3 in mil-spec
- Good question for SBR - don't know. I would probably start with A5H2 or A5H3. A5H2 will be more universal if you decide to use a different upper.

Bottom line - A5 works fine for me. Some people say it's a gimmick - in my opinion A5 is less of a gimmick than Geissele Super 42. I have no personal experience with it but I have a strong technical suspicion that there is absolutely no reason for anyone to use Geissele 42 over a proper weight mil-spec buffer and spring (or a Sprinco spring for durability or higher spring rate if you wish).

Randall
02-26-19, 15:25
Before I respond Ill state that the majority of my experiences are based on suppressed and unsuppressed 16" carbine and middy 5.56's, and 9" 300BLK's, so my view may not be as full spectrum as others may be regarding 11.5". I am currently building a 11.5" dedicated suppressed gun though, and it will be running the A5 system.

1. Personally, I wouldn't switch to an A5 in your case since you say your 11.5" already runs like a top. If you're happy with it, don't mess with it. I put an A5 in all of my NEW builds. I don't bother switching old systems over if they run well. If money is no object though, then by all means, plug and play. You can always switch back.

2. Ive never messed with mixing weights, so I cant comment on that.

3. Not knowing the exact gas port sizes on my rifles, (and having one of every A5 buffer weights), I start with the A5H4 and do one round lock back tests. If it fails to lock to the rear on an empty mag, I drop to the A5H3, test that the same way, and repeat until the rifle locks back every time.

4. You will be the ultimate Instagoogletweetface!

GH41
02-26-19, 15:52
I'm with Randall. New build yes. Gun that runs good no.

the_1iviper
02-26-19, 16:10
my .02 cents

-yes "i" believe it's an upgrade , even to a gun that's running fine. it should smooth out the recoil impulse some and help the gun run better with different ammo/conditions

-you can switch around weights but i believe the h4 is different as in there is a spring in the weight stack to always keep them biased

-just get an h4 and maybe an h3 to test with , with a suppressed only gun you won't need any of the lighter weight buffers. slash makes heavier buffers for the a5 system but they don't use the spring loaded weight stack i don't beleive

-i think your more likely to gain instagram followers with the geissele gear

i run a super 42 setup in a 12" lmt piston upper and it's nice. i believe it's benefits are no spring noise and longevity. it does seem a little stiffer than a regular carbine spring.

i run an a5 setup on a kac cqb upper , i think i'm using an h4 in it but i'd have to look. the cqb barrel's are supposed to have a .70 gas port. if i swap upper's around by my "seat of the pants feel" i think the a5 has a smoother recoil impulse that the super 42 but YMMV as recoil is subjective.

i have a centurion 11.5" barrel with a .065 gas port and the recoil impulse is much more noticeable with that setup than either the lmt or kac. if i move that upper between the super 42 and the a5 setup the difference is very noticeable to me , super smooth.

if your barrel has a gas port of .073 and you run it suppressed all the time i think you would get more juice from the squeeze by choking down the gas port with a brt gas port instead of buffer setup's.

titsonritz
02-26-19, 16:12
Yep, I'm with Randall 100%, also.

02-26-19, 16:21
If it runs, it runs. The A5 won't make it run better.

Maybe when an AR is on the extreme edge of reliability you'd be able to quantify a difference, but for a properly functioning AR they don't offer any advantage u less you prefer a slower recoil impulse.

JerDerv
02-26-19, 19:46
Buffers are for reducing carrier bounce to reduce the chance of a light strike during high rates of fire. If your rifle is showing symptoms of being over gassed then reduce the gas flow and delay bolt unlock. We call it over gassed not under buffered for a reason.

RobertTheTexan
02-27-19, 01:39
Do you have more than one rifle? It sounds like it. Installing an A5 buffer system won’t tear a hole in the space-time continuum. You will just learn what the difference is between your carbine setup and the A5. I use them on my new builds and I pulled some carbine buffer systems off existing “running like a top” AR’s and guess what?

They all kept running. Like the proverbial top. I for one believe there is a difference. Since I ran both on the same rifles. I’d like to think I own up to my own bad ideas and don’t feel the need to justify a purchase. Certainly if it brought zero value to the table I doubt I would had purchased 20+ A5 type systems to date. (Mine and builds I’ve done for others all use an A5.)

If you decide to give it a shot, I believe I used an A5H3 and green Sprinco on my 11.5, that was a Daniel Defense barrel. (I’m also pretty sure I ran that same in my Centurion Arms 12.5, I’ll have to check my config book.) My 11.5 ran extremely well. Perfect I would say. I’ve also got an A5 on a 8.3(300BLK) 10.3, 12.5, two 14.5’s and a 16” (no longer have) as well as my Mega/LMT MWS 16” AR-10. (UBR Gen 2) I ran it on and 18” 308 as well. Of course I did not use an A5 buffer on the 308’s, but a KAK heavy on the precision rig m and a H2 carbine buffer on my LMT.

If this was you’re only rifle....well I might tell you to go for it anyway, but definitely if you own more than one AR, it’s a low risk move. If you don’t like it, I’m sure you can sell it. I’ve bought several on the E&E. :smile: I don’t believe in magic or a talisman. I believe in quality, purpose driven builds and in my opinion the A5/intermediate buffer system has a specific role in that mentality. It’s all I use, barring specific tubes on my PDW stocks. There are quite a few threads on the A5 here at M4C and some opines differ than mine, but I believe they are all worth a search and a read through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iraqgunz
02-27-19, 02:10
Since no one bothers to use the search feature that has A LOT of information about the A5 going back several years and across multiple configurations the real benefits are the ability to use multiple uppers with one configured lower. That also means suppressed, etc...

Generally speaking, an A5 lower with a USGI or Sprinco green spring and A5H2 will work with a wide variety of uppers and ammunition types.

0uTkAsT
02-27-19, 08:37
Let me give it a shot:

- in my opinion A5 would probably work better (i.e. in a wider range of uppers and ammo variance) vs Geissele Super 42. Will you see a difference - probably not as much as you expect to be honest.

Thanks, this is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for.

1. Personally, I wouldn't switch to an A5 in your case since you say your 11.5" already runs like a top. If you're happy with it, don't mess with it. I put an A5 in all of my NEW builds. I don't bother switching old systems over if they run well. If money is no object though, then by all means, plug and play. You can always switch back.

2. Ive never messed with mixing weights, so I cant comment on that.

3. Not knowing the exact gas port sizes on my rifles, (and having one of every A5 buffer weights), I start with the A5H4 and do one round lock back tests. If it fails to lock to the rear on an empty mag, I drop to the A5H3, test that the same way, and repeat until the rifle locks back every time.

4. You will be the ultimate Instagoogletweetface!
Solid advice. The gun in question runs great, but it's a suppressed carbine-length DI with a slightly oversized port so needless to say, there's room for improvement. I keep being told over and over that an A5 would smooth out the system as a whole, but if it will only do that to a degree that's barely appreciable, I'm probably going to do as you suggest and just try it on a new gun down the road.
my .02 cents

-yes "i" believe it's an upgrade , even to a gun that's running fine. it should smooth out the recoil impulse some and help the gun run better with different ammo/conditions

-you can switch around weights but i believe the h4 is different as in there is a spring in the weight stack to always keep them biased

-just get an h4 and maybe an h3 to test with , with a suppressed only gun you won't need any of the lighter weight buffers. slash makes heavier buffers for the a5 system but they don't use the spring loaded weight stack i don't beleive

-i think your more likely to gain instagram followers with the geissele gear

i run a super 42 setup in a 12" lmt piston upper and it's nice. i believe it's benefits are no spring noise and longevity. it does seem a little stiffer than a regular carbine spring.

i run an a5 setup on a kac cqb upper , i think i'm using an h4 in it but i'd have to look. the cqb barrel's are supposed to have a .70 gas port. if i swap upper's around by my "seat of the pants feel" i think the a5 has a smoother recoil impulse that the super 42 but YMMV as recoil is subjective.

i have a centurion 11.5" barrel with a .065 gas port and the recoil impulse is much more noticeable with that setup than either the lmt or kac. if i move that upper between the super 42 and the a5 setup the difference is very noticeable to me , super smooth.

if your barrel has a gas port of .073 and you run it suppressed all the time i think you would get more juice from the squeeze by choking down the gas port with a brt gas port instead of buffer setup's.
Well noted, thank you for your input and sharing the info about the spring loaded weight stack... I'd never heard of that before.

I'm in perfect agreeance with you on the Super 42 as well.

Sounds like my best place to start would be with an A5H4 and work down if I do go this route, but I'm not going to mess with the gas on this BCM. I do eventually want to build a Sionics rifle with a properly sized port from the get-go, however. Maybe I just need to keep feeding this gun and stop worrying about fine-tuning it, and look into putting a Sionics together sooner rather than later and work on getting that one dialed in perfectly. Sounds like that is a better foundation for the sweet-shooting dream carbine I've always wanted anyways.

Do you have more than one rifle? It sounds like it. Installing an A5 buffer system won’t tear a hole in the space-time continuum. You will just learn what the difference is between your carbine setup and the A5. I use them on my new builds and I pulled some carbine buffer systems off existing “running like a top” AR’s and guess what?

They all kept running. Like the proverbial top. I for one believe there is a difference. Since I ran both on the same rifles. I’d like to think I own up to my own bad ideas and don’t feel the need to justify a purchase. Certainly if it brought zero value to the table I doubt I would had purchased 20+ A5 type systems to date. (Mine and builds I’ve done for others all use an A5.)

If you decide to give it a shot, I believe I used an A5H3 and green Sprinco on my 11.5, that was a Daniel Defense barrel. (I’m also pretty sure I ran that same in my Centurion Arms 12.5, I’ll have to check my config book.) My 11.5 ran extremely well. Perfect I would say. I’ve also got an A5 on a 8.3(300BLK) 10.3, 12.5, two 14.5’s and a 16” (no longer have) as well as my Mega/LMT MWS 16” AR-10. (UBR Gen 2) I ran it on and 18” 308 as well. Of course I did not use an A5 buffer on the 308’s, but a KAK heavy on the precision rig m and a H2 carbine buffer on my LMT.

If this was you’re only rifle....well I might tell you to go for it anyway, but definitely if you own more than one AR, it’s a low risk move. If you don’t like it, I’m sure you can sell it. I’ve bought several on the E&E. :smile: I don’t believe in magic or a talisman. I believe in quality, purpose driven builds and in my opinion the A5/intermediate buffer system has a specific role in that mentality. It’s all I use, barring specific tubes on my PDW stocks. There are quite a few threads on the A5 here at M4C and some opines differ than mine, but I believe they are all worth a search and a read through.

There is a crapload of good info here, thank you Robert. I'm trying to digest all of that right now.

Since no one bothers to use the search feature that has A LOT of information about the A5 going back several years and across multiple configurations the real benefits are the ability to use multiple uppers with one configured lower. That also means suppressed, etc...

Generally speaking, an A5 lower with a USGI or Sprinco green spring and A5H2 will work with a wide variety of uppers and ammunition types.
I don't want to be seen as "that guy" who didn't try to find the info before asking, but I also didn't want to be "that guy" necroposting in a long-dead thread to ask something specific I wasn't able to find either.

Since I see you work at Sionics, might I ask if you guys would ever sell stripped lowers or ones with an A5 tube vs. the carbine tube? And do you have a storefront in Tucson or is everything done online?

02-27-19, 09:57
Buffers are for reducing carrier bounce to reduce the chance of a light strike during high rates of fire. If your rifle is showing symptoms of being over gassed then reduce the gas flow and delay bolt unlock. We call it over gassed not under buffered for a reason.

This guy gets it.

In semi-auto lowers the buffer almost doesn't matter. It's an easy thing to tinker with and the aftermarket responds with plenty of 'options / upgrades' that people buy and then proclaim that they've found the perfect recipe to improve the function of an already functioning gun.

SteveL
02-27-19, 12:41
Since I see you work at Sionics, might I ask if you guys would ever sell stripped lowers or ones with an A5 tube vs. the carbine tube? And do you have a storefront in Tucson or is everything done online?

Obviously I'm not IG, but I can tell you that at one time Sionics did offer their lowers with the A5 system installed at the factory as an optional upgrade. I know because I bought one. However, they eliminated that option quite a while ago. When I inquired about it they told me it was because it was too difficult/troublesome keeping the A5 components in stock, which is a shame IMO. Perhaps IG can offer additional insight.

I've always thought it was odd that when the A5 system was originally developed by Vltor, the kit included the A5H2 buffer by default. The founder of Vltor is now employed by BCM. As I recall BCM lowers or complete rifles are available with the A5 system installed, but they include the A5H0 buffer as the default. I'd like to know why they use the lighter buffer. I have two 11.5" BCM uppers on lowers with A5 systems. One has an A5H2 and the other has an A5H3 and they both run fine with any ammo, suppressed or unsuppressed, so I don't see where the lighter buffer would be beneficial.

Wake27
02-27-19, 13:33
Obviously I'm not IG, but I can tell you that at one time Sionics did offer their lowers with the A5 system installed at the factory as an optional upgrade. I know because I bought one. However, they eliminated that option a quite while ago. When I inquired about it they told me it was because it was too difficult/troublesome keeping the A5 components in stock, which is a shame IMO. Perhaps IG can offer additional insight.

I've always thought it was odd that when the A5 system was originally developed by Vltor, the kit included the A5H2 buffer by default. The founder of Vltor is now employed by BCM. As I recall BCM lowers or complete rifles are available with the A5 system installed, but they include the A5H0 buffer as the default. I'd like to know why they use the lighter buffer. I have two 11.5" BCM uppers on lowers with A5 systems. One has an A5H2 and the other has an A5H3 and they both run fine with any ammo, suppressed or unsuppressed, so I don't see where the lighter buffer would be beneficial.

That’s come up before, I think a BCM rep said it was the ideal weight or some other weird answer. I have a pinned 14.5 from them that has used a springco green an -3 for years.

Iraqgunz
02-27-19, 14:08
We do not use the A5 tubes any longer as the supply was never consistent and it caused us to have to wait extended periods before we were able to deliver. There were also issues with buffer supply as well.

Thanks, this is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for.

Solid advice. The gun in question runs great, but it's a suppressed carbine-length DI with a slightly oversized port so needless to say, there's room for improvement. I keep being told over and over that an A5 would smooth out the system as a whole, but if it will only do that to a degree that's barely appreciable, I'm probably going to do as you suggest and just try it on a new gun down the road.
Well noted, thank you for your input and sharing the info about the spring loaded weight stack... I'd never heard of that before.

I'm in perfect agreeance with you on the Super 42 as well.

Sounds like my best place to start would be with an A5H4 and work down if I do go this route, but I'm not going to mess with the gas on this BCM. I do eventually want to build a Sionics rifle with a properly sized port from the get-go, however. Maybe I just need to keep feeding this gun and stop worrying about fine-tuning it, and look into putting a Sionics together sooner rather than later and work on getting that one dialed in perfectly. Sounds like that is a better foundation for the sweet-shooting dream carbine I've always wanted anyways.

There is a crapload of good info here, thank you Robert. I'm trying to digest all of that right now.

I don't want to be seen as "that guy" who didn't try to find the info before asking, but I also didn't want to be "that guy" necroposting in a long-dead thread to ask something specific I wasn't able to find either.

prepare
02-27-19, 14:44
What’s up with the supply issue? When your product is in demand why not just make
more?

02-27-19, 15:00
What’s up with the supply issue? When your product is in demand why not just make
more?

It's been out for over a decade and hasn't gotten that much traction. Outside of this forum they're not that popular.

Short_barrel_daddy
03-03-19, 22:35
It's been out for over a decade and hasn't gotten that much traction. Outside of this forum they're not that popular. I’d say that is changing, or at least starting to, with companies like solgw using them on complete builds and vltor stating they are increasing production this year.

0uTkAsT
03-05-19, 08:22
With BCM making their own A5 receiver extension and the original Vltor guy now working for them, I'm surprised that there aren't any factory BCM rifles or lower assemblies sporting them (besides the Mk12). I know G&R sells a complete lower with the A5 extension, but it seems to be an exclusive sort of deal because I haven't seen them anywhere else outside of that. Who knows, but the supply issues are odd considering the overall lack of prevalence in the current market.

tb-av
03-05-19, 15:12
Sounds like my best place to start would be with an A5H4 and work down if I do go this route, but I'm not going to mess with the gas on this BCM.

The A5 buffers are lighter than the regular. H2 is heavierr than A5-2... A5-4 is going to be really heavy. Not sure I have heard of anyone going that heavy.

Somewhere I have read about switching the inserts to make a weight you want but I have never seen the thread, directions, video, or whatever the post was referencing. I -thin- maybe some people get the heavy one and reduce it down by altering the internals... but not sure how it's done.

A5H2 = 4.5 oz

H2 = 4.6 oz and 3.5 reciprocating weight. Not sure how the latter weight is in the A5.

A5-H4 = 6.5 oz

Holy cow.... This site says if suppressed use their 10oz buffer!! http://www.heavybuffers.com/vltor.html they do sell a buffer kit and inserts though to tune your buffer.

0uTkAsT
03-05-19, 15:42
For what it's worth, I finally got a response directly from Vltor CS and they recommended the A5H4 and a milspec rifle spring for my suppressed 11.5" gun.

Pappabear
03-05-19, 15:56
more?
My guess: They don't make in house, they had to purchase from one of the few vendors, BCM, Vltor for example. Im a pretty big fanboy of the A5, but if your gun is running great it will probably just smooth it out a bit. I have switched multiple uppers with A5 and NOT A5 and I always noticed. Also, we are taking $100, not a $1,000 smacks so if you want to scratch that itch and have the hundo, let the good times roll. Good luck.

You probably saw multiple guys say, "all new builds get the A5" there is a reason for that. Im in the same boat.

PB

prepare
03-05-19, 16:45
Yeah I've got several. Its just every time I got to buy another one they're out of stock.

MistWolf
03-05-19, 17:48
The A5 buffers are lighter than the regular. H2 is heavier than A5-2...

Perhaps you meant it the other way around...?

Rifle buffer
https://photos.smugmug.com/F1/AR-General/n-9HMHf7/i-P7BKtsQ/0/84e91619/X2/i-P7BKtsQ-X2.jpg

A5H2 buffer
https://photos.smugmug.com/F1/AR-General/n-9HMHf7/i-SSmxCH3/0/359e2442/X2/i-SSmxCH3-X2.jpg

H2 buffer
https://photos.smugmug.com/F1/AR-General/n-9HMHf7/i-jsK2hx2/0/1ab2ea0f/X2/i-jsK2hx2-X2.jpg

H buffer
https://photos.smugmug.com/F1/AR-General/n-9HMHf7/i-H4586tS/0/ff0dd2ed/X2/i-H4586tS-X2.jpg

CAR buffer
https://photos.smugmug.com/F1/AR-General/n-9HMHf7/i-Z8bLtdw/0/a1674ef5/X2/i-Z8bLtdw-X2.jpg

BWT
03-05-19, 21:02
I thought about starting my own thread at one point but this is really relevant to what I was going to ask. I've heard that the A5 slows/reduces the recoil impulse.

I'm thinking about using one for a 12.5'' BCM SBR - gun runs fine, but it's a registered SBR and I've been thinking - if it saves the pins/receiver (I pretty much figure I'll be holding onto the receiver all of my life as it's an NFA item), offers longer operational life (less frequent spring replacements), gives me a QD end plate (my SBR was purchased in 2013 - the new models come with it), and smooths recoil some. Why not? It seems to be 2-3 benefits instead of just a muzzle break / flash hider and it's $100.

I'll confess I bought one of the Sionic lowers with an A5 extension years ago and I forget the buffer weight (I'll go grab it out of the safe - as I'm sure this comment will be unpopular), but I put a 16'' Midlength upper on it (to test it per Scott Ryan's before you Form 1 thread) and I believe it had a single short stroke out of the 3 magazines I ran through it. I honestly just didn't want to kind of go through chasing down was it my upper, was it the buffer weight, was it a fluke with the ammo, would they want me to ship it back, etc., etc. - I didn't have any other uppers other the 16'' Midlength and my 12.5'' and I didn't want to put my 12.5'' upper on the Sionics complete lower (for obvious reasons).

At the time - I was going to Form 1 an AR lower, I was in school full-time, working full-time and just wanted to test a complete lower before filing a Form 1 before 41P went into effect (at the time it was still looking pretty grim - Thank God that went so well). So, I figured just buy another BCM lower and file a Form 1 ASAP as I've had several flawless experiences - I did. I was thinking I'd mess with the Sionics lower later.

Here I am... years later and this thread drummed up some memories and I figured I'd ask my questions here.

ETA: I went and grabbed the lower and pulled out the buffer. It doesn't seem to have a buffer weight on the face of the buffer - it simply says. A5 VLTOR PAT#8296984 OTHER PAT PENDING. Any easy way to discern?

It appears the new models list it on the front.

https://www.weaponoutfitters.com/vltor-a5-buffers.html

Also,

Is what I asked in the first paragraph accurate regarding extended service life, reduced recoil, and potentially lengthening/softening recoil impulse?

God Bless,

Brandon

JediGuy
03-05-19, 22:57
Not the resident expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.
I doubt the A5 would extend service life of parts by any measurable amount. I don’t think it reduces recoil, but it does change the recoil impulse which may cause one to perceive recoil as less. IraqG notes the purpose of the system above, so these things are tangential.
As to what buffer you have, I would hazard a guess that you have what is now called the A5H2 but which was simply the standard/only option initially. My understanding is that the A5H2 weight is what the system was designed around.

RobertTheTexan
03-05-19, 23:37
I’d say that is changing, or at least starting to, with companies like solgw using them on complete builds and vltor stating they are increasing production this year.

I rarely bought a complete system from Vltor, mostly because they were out of stock. If I buy a complete system from BCM, it’s usually bevuE I have titanium weights to get my buffer up to an H3. So usually I’m buying each piece individually. If I find a Vltor A5 on the E&E I usually pick it up, if it’s a good buy. Probably the majority of my tubes are Magpul SR25/M110 tubes, I like the 10 position tube they have. I’ve never found Sprinco OOS on the springs I use. That leaves me only hunting for the buffer. I usually find one, it may take some digging online, or as mentioned I’ll find an H4 and pull weights how I end up with extras) to use in a H0/1/2 to get it to an H3. That said if I’m using a smaller port barrel like the Centurion I had, then I’ll use an A5H2.

RobertTheTexan
03-05-19, 23:48
The A5 buffers are lighter than the regular. H2 is heavierr than A5-2... A5-4 is going to be really heavy. Not sure I have heard of anyone going that heavy.

Somewhere I have read about switching the inserts to make a weight you want but I have never seen the thread, directions, video, or whatever the post was referencing. I -thin- maybe some people get the heavy one and reduce it down by altering the internals... but not sure how it's done.

A5H2 = 4.5 oz

H2 = 4.6 oz and 3.5 reciprocating weight. Not sure how the latter weight is in the A5.

A5-H4 = 6.5 oz

Holy cow.... This site says if suppressed use their 10oz buffer!! http://www.heavybuffers.com/vltor.html they do sell a buffer kit and inserts though to tune your buffer.

Pop the roll pin out, pull out the rubber plug, remove/replace weights, and I use my postal scale to weight it to the 1/10 ounce. I don’t do anything funky. The last thing I want is to have some oddball buffer weight running one of my rigs. So I weigh them exactly to the specs of the buffer.

But in short, it’s a super simple process that I did not do it to tweak anything but mainly because I had a hard time finding an H3. I did the same on my AR-10 carbine buffer to get it up to the weight I needed. I had an H and an H4 and made an H2 which was what I needed.

Clint
03-06-19, 07:07
For a dedicated suppressed upper, the first order of business is correcting the gas drive.

Buffering up doesn't fix excess gas drive; it can only slightly counter balance it.

Buffers can change the moving mass by 10-15% at most, while suppressors add 20-40% to the gas drive.

When the overall gas drive is in the normal range, any reasonable buffer will work.

03-06-19, 07:38
The A5 can't reduce recoil. It just changes how it feels. It's slower than with a carbine spring.

Glock 19 vs Glock 17L is a somewhat close analogy.

ccasanova
03-06-19, 13:18
The A5 can't reduce recoil. It just changes how it feels. It's slower than with a carbine spring.

This is my experience as well. Carbine is more “snappy” ... A5 is more of a “pushy.”

Sparky5019
03-15-19, 20:13
I’ve been using the A5 on a suppressed 11.5 and a full auto unsuppressed 10.3 (both with SLR AGBs) for almost 9 months now and I tend to like the feel better. The full auto is very consistently ejecting around 1530 no matter how much gas drive with just about any ammo suppressed or unsuppressed. I don’t adjust the gas block just set the gun up and do a lock back test. So far I like them but I tend to tinker with stuff; it’s what I do. Lol.