PDA

View Full Version : Can I use Break-Free Bore Cleaning Foam on my AR

zippygaloo
11-07-08, 02:05
I was planning on trying some Break-Free Bore Cleaning Foam but read somewhere that it shouldn't be used on autoloaders with gas systems.

1. Is this true?
2. Has anyone here used this product on their AR? If so, what are the results?
3. If I should not use it to clean my bore, what should I use?

Parabellum9x19mm
11-07-08, 02:20
where did you read that?

i've never used it before, but i'm sure it will be fine, just keep it away from plastics. honestly it will probably be ok with plastics, but better safe than sorry.

what are you currently using for cleaning?

i just use regular plain old CLP most of the time and it works very well...occasionally i'll use a powder solvent (basically kerosene) or a copper solvent (basically ammonia)...i have used the breakfree Powder Blast before...but its essentially the same as a $2 can of carburetor cleaner.

if i were you, i'd just stick to the regular CLP...but i'm sure the foaming cleaner wont break your AR either

zippygaloo
11-07-08, 02:24
The product info says "Effective, non-toxic, bore cleaner chemically breaks down copper, brass, powder...". Is this the same as a "solvent"? Also, should I only use this Bore Cleaning Foam or a Solvent only every 3 thousand rounds or so with my chrome line barrel?

Parabellum9x19mm
11-07-08, 02:38
yeah, it sounds like its a copper and powder solvent. i'd definitely keep it away from anything plastic just to be sure. if you want to avoid etching, you shouldnt leave a product like that in your bore for extended periods (overnight)

CLP will remove powder fouling...it might not be the fastest, but it will do the job.

as far as copper fouling....it depends on the individual barrel, as well as your personal accuracy standards. there isn't a universal standard for how often one should do this...but if you're only doing it every 3000 rounds, you probably don't need to do it all all.

some people would question the necessity of cleaning out copper fouling on a service weapon with a chrome lined barrel.

i use copper solvent on my precision AR often, but i don't really think about it much on my other ones. occasionally i get bored and decide to do a thorough cleaning on one of my chrome lined bores, but i don't use it on all my ARs with regularity.

if you start to notice a change in groups or POI, you might want to use some solvent and see if that solves it.....the thing is, the longer you let it build up, the longer it will take you to remove it.

ask 10 people this question and you'll probably get 37 different answers. i think i must have given you three or four different answers myself. sorry :/

i would also add, that i've never used the foaming cleaner...so i cant recommend it. i would recommend CLP for general cleaning, Hoppes #9 for a powder solvent and Montana X-treme Copper Killer for a copper solvent

zippygaloo
11-07-08, 03:19
some people would question the necessity of cleaning out copper fouling on a service weapon with a chrome lined barrel.

Why would some people question the necessity of cleaning out copper fouling on a chrome line barrel?

What do I need to do to a chrome line barrel and how often?

Parabellum9x19mm
11-07-08, 03:53
Why would some people question the necessity of cleaning out copper fouling on a chrome line barrel?

What do I need to do to a chrome line barrel and how often?

some people question the necessity of cleaning the copper fouling out from service rifles, because accuracy is generally not the primary concern

those who are religious about cleaning out copper fouling are usually concerned with accuracy above all else.

i don't know what to tell you about your cleaning regimen, because its different for everyone.

i used to clean every firearm i owned meticulously before i took it to the range. lately, i've relaxed on that a lot. with most of my ARs, before a range trip i look the weapon over making sure everything is kosher...function check, check the bore, apply some lube and get to shooting.

i clean when i get around to it. sometimes it directly after the range trip. but usually its not. i shoot my rifles dirty most of the time now. i just add lube. the only weapons i clean regularly are my carry handguns and my precision AR.

my chrome lined ARs, usually what passes for cleaning the bore are a few passes with a bore snake. i'm not very careful with keeping track of my round counts at all. i know i should try to keep track, but i never can. i probably go 800 rounds or so until i even think of cleaning with an actual rod. when i clean with a rod i use a bore guide. at that point i'll use a copper and powder solvent.

my AR with a stainless barrel...i did the whole tedious break in procedure with that....i clean that rifle every time before i shoot it.

sorry if i wasn't much help, but everyone has their own ways when it comes to cleaning.

the most important rule to always remember when cleaning is: DO NO HARM

you'll do more harm by improper cleaning than you ever will do by shooting a dirty rifle.

use a bore guide. use a good quality rod. wipe the rod clean after each pass. only clean with a bore brush in ONE direction. clean from chamber to muzzle....that sort of thing.