PDA

View Full Version : Know-nothing noob asks: how far to go with clone project?

Buncheong
02-27-19, 23:26
Currently have the BCM C8 upper on an M4 lower (also by BCM). Original intent was to put together a clone of an L119A1.

Canadian CAR-type butt stock is on.
Using DD A1 rear sight/BUIS in lieu of the Canadian polymer version.
Colt CH

Problem: L119A1 has a lower receiver end plate with two loops for sling attachment. I have this part, but the BCM lower is staked. Also have a Colt 6920 lower but it’s staked, too.

Now, it seems to me L119A1 just has to have the end plate for sling attachment, I can’t find any in SAS pics that don’t have it. It’s a giveaway of the model.

Question: Do I A) buy an Aero Precision stripped lower and build the end plate into the receiver, or B) give up on including the end plate, and just stick with the BCM lower?

This is my first/only clone idea, and I’m wondering how far I should go ...

Here is a picture of said end plate on an issue rifle:

MorphCross
02-28-19, 00:15
Sorry, I misinterpreted your question. Personally I would overcome the factory staking, install the clone correct part, and then re-stake. If it bothers you enough to pose the question then it will keep bothering you.

dperdue
02-28-19, 03:27
If it’s important to you, for it to look like the lower in question, and you want to use one of your existing lowers, it’s not difficult to remove the factory staking. That’s the biggest advantage to staking a castle nut. It provides more than adequate security, but it’s easy enough to remove.

KingCobra
03-01-19, 03:06
Long time cloner here,

Go ahead and break that staking to add the sling adapter. like said above it with endlessly bug you that you have the part in hand and wont do it. I had the same dilemma with my LMT lower and a CQG end plate. eventually I have it and I was happy I did.

CPM
03-01-19, 06:24
It’s only a clone if it’s exact.

nightchief
03-01-19, 09:48
If the concern is the difficulty in breaking the BCM staking job, it shouldn't be an issue to remove. Same with Colt. I've removed RE's from both Colt and BCM lowers with little issue using a Bev block and armorers wrench. I've never personally run into a staking job a little body lean wouldn't remove.

Hammer_Man
03-01-19, 11:45
I would suggest having a replacement castle nut on hand just in case.

ccosby
03-01-19, 21:46
If the concern is the difficulty in breaking the BCM staking job, it shouldn't be an issue to remove. Same with Colt. I've removed RE's from both Colt and BCM lowers with little issue using a Bev block and armorers wrench. I've never personally run into a staking job a little body lean wouldn't remove.

Yea it really doesn't take any force to break the castle nut loose, at least not one done like bcm or colt would. Now the ones that rra did where they used thread locker? Those took some work.

Buncheong
03-01-19, 21:48
Good advice from the membership - thanks, Gentlemen.

I will acquire a spare castle nut and make sure I have requisite tools (I may be missing one) and give it a go.

I confess that I was intimidated about breaking the stake. The BCM seems exceptionally well-staked and idjut that I am, I thought, “I’m gonna’ screw this receiver up, somehow...”

But I’d like bigly to put this end plate on ...

ccosby
03-02-19, 02:51
Good advice from the membership - thanks, Gentlemen.

I will acquire a spare castle nut and make sure I have requisite tools (I may be missing one) and give it a go.

I confess that I was intimidated about breaking the stake. The BCM seems exceptionally well-staked and idjut that I am, I thought, “I’m gonna’ screw this receiver up, somehow...”

But I’d like bigly to put this end plate on ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP_048VMvE0

You can see the force he had to use, its really not a big deal as long as its just staked(as I said before thread lockered ones from rra and I believe noveske's older stuff can be a bitch).

Diamondback
03-02-19, 03:50
Offtopic, but OP, can you share a source on plates? I'm working up a C8 build myself, but Canadian A3 rather than Brit L119.

Buncheong
03-02-19, 10:06
Offtopic, but OP, can you share a source on plates? I'm working up a C8 build myself, but Canadian A3 rather than Brit L119.

Plate I got from a friend/fellow collector.

PM sent re: C8A3 ...

SteveS
03-07-19, 08:36
It’s only a clone if it’s exact..A3 has a 20 inch barrel?