PDA

View Full Version : Help with decision

DialTone301
11-07-08, 08:16
Wife says go ahead and buy what I want. I know just enough to confuse myself so any help is appreciated.

I can get a LMT complete lower locally. I plan on buying it.

I want to order a Noveske complete upper but am not sure what to get. I live in the communist state of IL so I have to stay at 16". I don't see ever wanting to change the flash hider so would I be better off with the pinned 14.5?

Do I buy the stainless Recon upper with or without VIS or the light series Recce upper? What are the advantages/disadvantages of each?

My other AR is a RRA (which I am happy with) but I want something higher end.

I would like to buy everything today so please help!

markm
11-07-08, 08:21
I think availability would be the first concern.

The chicken littles are buying up everything that's available.

Parabellum9x19mm
11-07-08, 08:32
Wife says go ahead and buy what I want.

lucky man

I can get a LMT complete lower locally. I plan on buying it.

good plan. buy it now.

I want to order a Noveske complete upper but am not sure what to get. I live in the communist state of IL so I have to stay at 16". I don't see ever wanting to change the flash hider so would I be better off with the pinned 14.5?

its not just changing the flash hider.....removing the flash hider is necessary if you want to install most rail systems...but if you are going with a Low Profile or VIS upper, that is not a concern.

the 14.5" uses a CAR gas system, the 16" uses a mid-length gas system. most people will tell you to go with the midlength

Do I buy the stainless Recon upper with or without VIS or the light series Recce upper? What are the advantages/disadvantages of each?

this totally depends on what you plan to do with the rifle.

stainless barrels are more accurate, but have a shorter service life.

the N4 barrel has perhaps the longest expected service life of an AR barrel. its very accurate for a chrome lined barrel.

the VIS is as rigid as rigid an upper as one can get, but its heavy and expensive. if you trash your rail, you trash the whole upper. i like the rifle length VIS on a precision build/bench rifle. i've seen people use the shorter VIS for tactical carbines. i personally wouldnt go that way, but many people do. admittedly the carbine VIS does look cool.

the low profile has very few draw-backs. its a very good general purpose configuration. it is now available with the Vltor MUR. the SWS rail system is very nice. the rails are beveled on the corners, have a very nice feel and exhibit great workmanship.

I would like to buy everything today so please help!

there are worse problems one could have :cool:

best of luck!!!

No.6
11-07-08, 09:12
Availability will be the biggest problem right now. If you need to buy now, LMT, since it's sitting there ready to go. If you can afford to wait, Noveske. You won't go wrong with either one.

CrawGator
11-07-08, 09:35
Sounds good but good luck on getting anything in the next 2-6 months. I just bought my CD M4LE a week ago and when checking no one had any Noveske in stock including the factory.

nsabjg
11-07-08, 10:24
Go get the lower, then worry about the upper. LMT is one of the best rifles you can get. Colt and Neveske are nice too. Neveske at the present time is not taking orders on some uppers.

austinN4
11-07-08, 10:39
Neveske (sic) at the present time is not taking orders on some uppers.
I thought it was just whole 5.56 rifles they weren't taking orders on - I believe 7.62 rifles and all uppers are still good to go but could be wrong. I just checked Noveske's web site and all 5.56 N4 Light uppers are available for order.

DialTone301
11-07-08, 11:12
Missed the LMT lower.

How about a Sabre Defence or an RRA lower? I know they are not LMT but it appears it is all that is available locally. I can change out the stock and trigger later for better stuff.

Waiting to hear back from Noveske on the upper.

Parabellum9x19mm
11-07-08, 12:44
are they complete lowers or stripped? if they are complete i would snatch up the Sabre right away.

if they are stripeed, then generally a lower is a lower. brand name doesn't really matter. the company probably didnt forge or machine the lower themselves anyway, so its doesn't matter...its just a name.

i've built on a few stripped RRA lowers, all of them good to go. one of the RRA lowers was built with a RRA lower parts kits as well. quality of the RRA LPK is better than most of the LPKs floating around, but i wouldn't say that its "the best"....especially after using Grant's kits.