PDA

View Full Version : Cowitness left-right offset question

Eurodriver
03-03-19, 17:36
https://i.imgur.com/uEFjMs9.jpg

Top Rifle A: Quality, smaller company 11.5” Carbine upper (name omitted for a reason. Everyone here has heard of them)
Bottom Rifle B: LMT Complete 10.5” SBR

Both uppers were bought new and were not disassembled since leaving the factory. Both uppers have fixed front sight bases. Both have carbine length gas systems.

I have about 7,500 rounds through Rifle A with an Aimpoint T1, and only about 1,000 through the LMT. (Random fact: I’ve had the LMT about 3x longer.)

Both rifles shoot excellently and I’ve never had a single issue with either.

Yesterday I moved the T1 from Rifle A and put it on Rifle B, and then put a new T2 on Rifle A.

Holding them side by side trying to get a makeshift zero by adjusting the dot to the irons I immediately noticed that when cowitnessing Rifle A the FSB was way off in the bottom right corner but the LMT was right where you’d expect it to be.

These were the best pics I could manage to get. You can easily tell Rifle A from B because B has the blue tint from the T1.

Edit: So this didn’t show as well as I’d hoped but you can definitely see Rifle A’s FSB angled off to the right.

https://i.imgur.com/VkYth5q.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/M2m85Nh.jpg

My immediate thought was - oh no. I didn’t go with Larue for an optic mount on the T2 and I am being punished by Sky Daddy for making such a junior analyst decision.

But then I switched optics and the T1 was showing the same issue. This eliminated the optic and mount as the source of the issue. (The above was a joke, I own many ADM mounts and trust them.) Furthermore, I’d shot that combination for years and years and never noticed the FSB was canted nor had I ever had issues with irons so while it was a problem I just noticed last night, it wasn’t something that was a functional problem and more importantly I knew that by my own shooting experience.

I still wanted to find the issue though so I then switched rear sights on the rifles. No difference. This leaves the FSB on Rifle A as the only untested variable.

The odd thing was that both rifles had zeroed irons and neither had any significant windage adjustments on the rear sight. I told myself “You’re being one of those over analytical internet guys who is too interested in finger ****ing a rifle on the couch and not spending time shooting it”

So after putting Rifles A&B back together last night, I dragged my ass to the range this morning and the optics on both rifles were zeroed at 100m per Mr. Leuba, USMC (SFMF), a confirm zero was done on the irons (neither of which required any adjustment), and then I moved to 200y where I proceeded to smack gongs for the remainder of the morning with boring regularity.

To recap: I’ve got 7,500 rounds (now almost 8,000) put through Rifle A. It has always shot well. No significant windage adjustments with irons to achieve zero. Today it shot well both with irons and the T2. (I went 10/10 on a 10x12” gong at 200y using the irons cowitnessed with the dot off and without adjusting the irons at all - and that’s after removing and reinstalling it the night before as mentioned above)

In practice, this isn’t an issue and I should be enjoying this Maker’s Mark as I sit here outside enjoying this lovely breeze. But why is the FSB off? Is it canted on the barrel? Is it just tolerance stacking? Is it common? Is it common with the “big” brands? I can’t say I’ve ever noticed it before because I’ve never cowitnessed two rifles side by side.

I’m also curious why Florida trees dump their leaves in March while up north it’s in October. How you gonna dump leaves and sprout new growth and pollen at the same exact time. Stupid Florida trees.

I’m sorry if this thread is hard to follow.

jpmuscle
03-03-19, 18:12
Truly M4Cs Dark Knight

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190304/3bbde55c096aa8894a269ee4cb3d5499.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rockapede
03-03-19, 18:37
Any chance the T1 has taken a hard whack when it was on the 11.5"? Seems exceedingly unlikely but I suppose it's possible the rail on the upper itself could have been tweaked at some point; that would cause the issue to show up with both optics and, if it was localized to the area the optic was mounted, would leave the zero of the irons alone.

ozarkpugs
03-03-19, 19:01
How does your front look looking through rear only ? I think you said it doesn't matter which optic is on the rifle it is off . If so then it is #1 the front sight #2 the barrel twisted #3 the upper machined off . From the pic the sight looks bent , may be optical illusion but I'd check that first . For barrel to be twisted the pin would have to be broken or missing and the gas tube would not be straight which would be problematic . The upper would be easy to check , put the lower in a rest or vise and get it level ( phone app level good for this) now install the upper and check the upper and sight both should be level . Another thing with upper level check to see if top of optic is level , the top may be flat but the contact groove for mount off or slots not even depth .

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

498cm3
03-03-19, 19:33
I can't answer all your questions, but in my limited experience: yes the front sight can be canted, stacking can cause it, and it is not uncommon. Various factors are in play, such as: the accuracy of the FSB installation process, the accuracy of the barrel extension index pin, and tolerance in the index slot in the upper receiver, as well as the rotational effect of barrel nut torquing.
As mentioned above using a small level is a good way to check it, that would help answer your questions, and narrow down the issue as to whether it's the rifle platform or the optics.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

El Vaquero
03-03-19, 21:05
Agree with the above. Make sure the sight block is pinned properly. I had a Colt that was missing a pin that was causing the same issue. Could never figure out if the pin wiggled loose or if it just came from the factory that way. Tapped a new one in and problem solved.

crosseyedshooter
03-03-19, 22:09
I can't tell from your photos, but are those taken through the rear peep sight? What does the dot look like when you take a photo with the rear peep lined up with the front sight post?

Eurodriver
03-04-19, 07:34
I can't tell from your photos, but are those taken through the rear peep sight? What does the dot look like when you take a photo with the rear peep lined up with the front sight post?

Yes they are taken through the peep. You can see the outline faintly in the second pic.

When shooting with the dot on and irons up the dot sits right on top of the post.

RVTMaverick
03-04-19, 08:57
Hey Eurodriver,

FYI: I didn't read the whole thing, your 1st post and I haven't read the replies... but real quick, if I understand what I did read correctly, it sounds like the T2 mount is OFF... IF your T1 was good to go on rifle A and it's good on the LMT.. You installed T2 on rifle A: and front site is NG... Then you reinstall your T1 with the T2's Mount and it's NO Good?
To me this means the new mount IS NG....

Try the T2 on T1's mount and see what you get.
Peace Jeff

PS., IF I am off by a mile, let me know and I will reread and finish the whole info. you've posted, I'm at work so it's kind of hard to get time, I'll check it out at Lunch time;)

Eurodriver
03-04-19, 09:03
Hey Eurodriver,

FYI: I didn't read the whole thing, your 1st post and I haven't read the replies... but real quick, if I understand what I did read correctly, it sounds like the T2 mount is OFF... IF your T1 was good to go on rifle A and it's good on the LMT.. You installed T2 on rifle A: and front site is NG... Then you reinstall your T1 with the T2's Mount and it's NO Good?
To me this means the new mount IS NG....

Try the T2 on T1's mount and see what you get.
Peace Jeff

PS., IF I am off by a mile, let me know and I will reread and finish the whole info. you've posted, I'm at work so it's kind of hard to get time, I'll check it out at Lunch time;)

A critical line you missed is that I put the T1 back on the original rifle and noticed it was offset.

Not optic related. :)

Firefly
03-04-19, 09:41
This is why, aside from my slut Colt(which you have seen), I elect to live in a post FSB world.
(Except my retro crap but thats a toy)

Eurodriver
03-04-19, 10:08
Any chance the T1 has taken a hard whack when it was on the 11.5"? Seems exceedingly unlikely but I suppose it's possible the rail on the upper itself could have been tweaked at some point; that would cause the issue to show up with both optics and, if it was localized to the area the optic was mounted, would leave the zero of the irons alone.

I’m exploring this right now

kerplode
03-04-19, 10:41
I have 2 FSB rifles...One LMT and one BCM. The BCM FSB is noticeably canted. Very noticeably canted. The LMT is straight up and down.

They both zero, so I just shoot them when I can and don't worry about it.

As to why, I think it's just comes down to care in assembly.

Also, everything is weirder in Florida....