PDA

View Full Version : Colt LE6960 Input

sentinel77
03-04-19, 13:13
Hi guys, I'm looking to purchase my first and only AR for HD/SHTF/WROL, and I'm currently looking at the Colt LE6960. Both the mid length gas system and lightweight barrel make it an attractive option. However, I recently found out that the barrel is made from the button cut process and is not cold hammer forged. That being said, does anyone have relatively long term experience with this rifle to be able to offer input on its durability and accuracy? From what I've been reading, the 6960 is a 1.5-2.5 MOA rifle. How long before that 1.5-2.5 MOA becomes 3.5-4.5 MOA? I know Daniel Defense makes a pretty darn accurate CHF lightweight barrel, but is it worth swapping out barrels for that extra added durability and accuracy? Or do you think the 6960's barrel is adequate for its intended use (HD/SHTF/WROL)? Any insight is much appreciated. Thanks!

SteveS
03-04-19, 13:29
Does the barrel not being hammer forged make a difference in your enjoyment and practical life of the barrel, not really. The military has been using CMV and hard chromed barrels with great success. There is a real problem with the AR that most ignore. The problem is not many AR owners have just 1 AR.. Buy a good quality AR learn how to shoot it and how it works then start planning the next buy or build.

sentinel77
03-04-19, 13:35
Yea you're right. Probably won't affect how I use and enjoy the rifle. I was just wondering if the barrel is of any lesser quality than that of other brands. I don't plan on getting another AR, so I don't want to make any mistakes with this first purchase. The way I see it is I'd rather spend a bit more money in the beginning and not have to worry than to constantly modify later on due to uneducated choices. I appreciate your input btw. Thanks!

MistWolf
03-04-19, 13:57
All Colt barrels are button rifled, including the barrels on ARs supplied to the military.

Doc Safari
03-04-19, 14:02
After owning ARs for many years I have come to prefer the lightweight barrel of the Colt 6720. It balances better, you can shoot longer offhand before fatiguing, it holds steady better. Truly I think the M4 profile and HBAR barrels are bad JuJu foisted on the shooting public. The AR was always intended to have the lightweight barrel.

Mjolnir
03-04-19, 14:03
Does the barrel not being hammer forged make a difference in your enjoyment and practical life of the barrel, not really. The military has been using CMV and hard chromed barrels with great success. There is a real problem with the AR that most ignore. The problem is not many AR owners have just 1 AR.. Buy a good quality AR learn how to shoot it and how it works then start planning the next buy or build.

What he said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sentinel77
03-04-19, 14:03
Gotcha. Knowing the 6920 barrels are battle proven, I'm definitely more confident in buying the 6960 now. Thanks!

Yea, Ive heard many say they prefer lightweight barrels. Thanks for the input!

I have never seen any negative feedback from the SMEs here regarding Colt barrel quality or durability.

Andy

Okay cool, that's good to know. I think I'll spend the extra money on a good optic and trigger. Thanks!

AndyLate
03-04-19, 14:12
I have never seen any negative feedback from the SMEs here regarding Colt barrel quality or durability.

Andy

MistWolf
03-04-19, 15:17
...and welcome to the forums!

GH41
03-04-19, 15:58
A couple of points I didn't see mentioned.. Abuse (multiple mag dumps) is the enemy of longevity. The chrome lining is the same in both barrels and it will wear at the same rate in either. Degrading accuracy occurs as the chrome erodes from the throat forward exposing the barrel steel to accelerated wear. The HF barrel will shoot longer after the chrome is gone. You have to remember... Wearing out a barrel cost 15-20 times what a replacement barrel cost. Don't worry about the difference in longevity.

sentinel77
03-04-19, 16:42
...and welcome to the forums!
Thanks!

Good to know, thanks!

TomPenguin5145
03-04-19, 17:04
Maybe I missed something, but he stated he wanted a 6920 for the mid-length gas system and lightweight barrel....neither of which are on a factory Colt 6920. Personally, I would skip the 6920. There is nothing wrong with it, but I just personally don't see any advantage to the Govt profile barrel over the light weight barrel (6720) when it comes to semi-auto use....and for heavy firing, even the Govt profile isn't really working...hence the heavier SOCOM profiles on the M4A1s. The Govt profile is just some awkward middle of the road barrel that doesn't really do either job well.

Doc Safari
03-04-19, 17:08
Maybe I missed something, but he stated he wanted a 6920 for the mid-length gas system and lightweight barrel....neither of which are on a factory Colt 6920. Personally, I would skip the 6920. There is nothing wrong with it, but I just personally don't see any advantage to the Govt profile barrel over the light weight barrel (6720) when it comes to semi-auto use....and for heavy firing, even the Govt profile isn't really working...hence the heavier SOCOM profiles on the M4A1s. The Govt profile is just some awkward middle of the road barrel that doesn't really do either job well.

Uh...you need to read it again. He's talking about a 6960, not a 6920.

wetidlerjr
03-04-19, 17:16
I just picked one up a week or so ago but haven't had a chance yet to take it to the range due to wonderful Indiana weather. I have been changing a few things out to make it mine (grip, G2S trigger, Scalarworks PEAK BUIS, BCM KAG and a SOPMOD stock). Also, it touches all the bases with the correct Colt markings that have been causing all the wailing and rending of garments here lately. I hope to get out with it next week. Sorry I couldn't give you more.

RHINOWSO
03-04-19, 17:20
Also, it touches all the bases with the correct Colt markings that have been causing all the wailing and rending of garments here lately.

LMFAO!!!!!;)

TomPenguin5145
03-04-19, 17:30
See. I missed something. :-)

ABNAK
03-04-19, 17:50
I would absolutely LOVE for Colt to release an OEM version of the 6960. Apparently they did just that with the 6720 so keeping my fingers crossed.....

C-grunt
03-04-19, 19:27
You wont have an issue with Colt barrels. Hammer forging barrels is a faster and easier way to make good barrels, but that doesn't mean a button rifled barrel isn't going to be just as good. Colt barrels are known to be pretty accurate for a run of the mil carbine barrel.

My duty rifle is a Colt 6920 with a Steiner P4Xi (1-4) scope. Standard KAC RAS non free float rail. Once I figured out my holdover I was ringing an 18 inch gong at just over 600 yards with regularity using American Eagle 55 grain ball. I tried 700 yards but standard 55 grain ball goes transonic by then and the group opened up to like 5 feet. HAHA. And it's getting close to or at 10k rounds through it now.

magister
03-04-19, 20:52
I'm looking to purchase my first and only AR for HD/SHTF/WROL, and I'm currently looking at the Colt LE6960.

My idea of shtf, having lived in South Mississippi my entire life, is a post Katrina scenario. Power outage for weeks on end, fuel shortage for weeks on end, and isolated incidents of violence or potentially violent encounters. I’d imagine that most encounters in such a scenario will be similar to self defense shooting engagements in normal timeframes. Eg, a few shots over a few seconds with one party going down or both parties seeking to break contact shortly after. Any well made AR should be just fine for home defense in such a scenario. Definitely get a solid ccw handgun, too.

While I doubt we’ll have to live through red dawn, (I hope not anyway) standard M4’s seem to perform well for .mil in austere environments. So if they work over there, I’m sure they’d work well here too.

I’ve no reason to believe the 6960 you reference would not serve you well.

CajunCourier
03-04-19, 21:19
My idea of shtf, having lived in South Mississippi my entire life, is a post Katrina scenario. Power outage for weeks on end, fuel shortage for weeks on end, and isolated incidents of violence or potentially violent encounters. I’d imagine that most encounters in such a scenario will be similar to self defense shooting engagements in normal timeframes. Eg, a few shots over a few seconds with one party going down or both parties seeking to break contact shortly after. Any well made AR should be just fine for home defense in such a scenario. Definitely get a solid ccw handgun, too.

While I doubt we’ll have to live through red dawn, (I hope not anyway) standard M4’s seem to perform well for .mil in austere environments. So if they work over there, I’m sure they’d work well here too.

I’ve no reason to believe the 6960 you reference would not serve you well.

As someone who lived through Katrina, this is my idea of "SHTF" as well and is a reasonable scenario to prepare for.

OP, I have a Colt AR, and while it's not the 6960, it does have a non-hammer forged barrel. It's extremely accurate and I have no doubts about it's longevity or durability. There's nothing at all wrong with quality made button rifle barrels. In my opinion button rifled barrels have proven themselves to be combat worthy by decades of dependable use. A quality made barrel is a lot more important than if it's CHF. I'd rather have a Colt button rifled barrel than some overgassed low quality CHF barrel.

I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet, but the button-rifled "Filthy 14" had over 30k rounds through it and was still giving acceptable accuracy at typical self defense ranges. If you aren't magdumping constantly it'll serve you a long time and by the time you shoot it out you'll have gotten your money's worth many times over. Barrels are consumable components and can be replaced, but I don't see a need to replace it until it's shot out. If it makes you feel better, buy a CHF barrel and store it away for when you shoot out the original. It's good to stock replacement components anyway.

Renegade0100
03-05-19, 14:59
The Colt CCU is excellent, though when it comes to lightweight barrels, I prefer BCM's "Enhanced Lightweight" profile; it's thicker near the chamber and tapers forward. If I were you I would get a BCM 16" Recce lightweight upper and combine it with an Aero lower (or just buy the entire gun from BCM). I also prefer BCM's MCMR over the Centurion rail. However, at this point you're cutting straws- if you want the Colt CCU it will serve you fine; the Colt will work and you're unlikely to wear it out with normal shooting.

Heavy4Caliber
03-06-19, 10:18
I can't speak to the 6960, but I picked up a Colt LE6920 as my first AR in 2008. Needless to say it has been more than adequate for my needs. I have followed the "KISS" principle as far as setting it up. I've only replaced the stock, handguard, and added a VFG. Still using the iron sights as well because I wanted to at least feel proficient with those before venturing into the land of optics. I'm now comfortable enough with the rifle that I'm planning some major upgrades before the end of this year (quad rail, weapon light, optic, etc.) Nothing more to add to this conversation other than to say that in my meager experience Colt has been an excellent platform and I've been well-pleased with mine.

sentinel77
03-06-19, 10:35
As someone who lived through Katrina, this is my idea of "SHTF" as well and is a reasonable scenario to prepare for.

OP, I have a Colt AR, and while it's not the 6960, it does have a non-hammer forged barrel. It's extremely accurate and I have no doubts about it's longevity or durability. There's nothing at all wrong with quality made button rifle barrels. In my opinion button rifled barrels have proven themselves to be combat worthy by decades of dependable use. A quality made barrel is a lot more important than if it's CHF. I'd rather have a Colt button rifled barrel than some overgassed low quality CHF barrel.

I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet, but the button-rifled "Filthy 14" had over 30k rounds through it and was still giving acceptable accuracy at typical self defense ranges. If you aren't magdumping constantly it'll serve you a long time and by the time you shoot it out you'll have gotten your money's worth many times over. Barrels are consumable components and can be replaced, but I don't see a need to replace it until it's shot out. If it makes you feel better, buy a CHF barrel and store it away for when you shoot out the original. It's good to stock replacement components anyway.

Yea Ive always wondered if the filthy 14 had a chf barrel. Impressive results coming from a button barreled rifle!

The Colt CCU is excellent, though when it comes to lightweight barrels, I prefer BCM's "Enhanced Lightweight" profile; it's thicker near the chamber and tapers forward. If I were you I would get a BCM 16" Recce lightweight upper and combine it with an Aero lower (or just buy the entire gun from BCM). I also prefer BCM's MCMR over the Centurion rail. However, at this point you're cutting straws- if you want the Colt CCU it will serve you fine; the Colt will work and you're unlikely to wear it out with normal shooting.

Yea ive been reading more forums lately and thats where most ppl seem to be going. Small arms solution channel on YouTube did a review of the 6960, and apparently the rifle was able to achieve sub MOA. I think either choice will be GtG. Thanks!

I can't speak to the 6960, but I picked up a Colt LE6920 as my first AR in 2008. Needless to say it has been more than adequate for my needs. I have followed the "KISS" principle as far as setting it up. I've only replaced the stock, handguard, and added a VFG. Still using the iron sights as well because I wanted to at least feel proficient with those before venturing into the land of optics. I'm now comfortable enough with the rifle that I'm planning some major upgrades before the end of this year (quad rail, weapon light, optic, etc.) Nothing more to add to this conversation other than to say that in my meager experience Colt has been an excellent platform and I've been well-pleased with mine.

You've given me more confirmation to Colt's already proven track record. I think the 6960 will be GtG for me. Thanks!

I just picked one up a week or so ago but haven't had a chance yet to take it to the range due to wonderful Indiana weather. I have been changing a few things out to make it mine (grip, G2S trigger, Scalarworks PEAK BUIS, BCM KAG and a SOPMOD stock). Also, it touches all the bases with the correct Colt markings that have been causing all the wailing and rending of garments here lately. I hope to get out with it next week. Sorry I couldn't give you more.

Thanks, I hope you enjoy it! Can't wait to get mine

Here's my recipe for you: 1.) Colt 6960 2.) Aimpoint Comp M4 (or PRO if on a budget) 3.) LMT fixed rear sight 4.) LMT fixed front sight 5.) Blue Force Vicker's Sling 6.) Qty. of 10 Okay Surefeeds 7.) Qty. of 10 Pmags 8.) A lot of ammo.

Don't worry about replacing the trigger right away, as stock Colt triggers are quite good once they break in.

Damn all this gear is so expensive =/. Gotta save up even more now

Hammer_Man
03-06-19, 10:50
Here's my recipe for you: 1.) Colt 6960 2.) Aimpoint Comp M4 (or PRO if on a budget) 3.) LMT fixed rear sight 4.) LMT fixed front sight 5.) Blue Force Vicker's Sling 6.) Qty. of 10 Okay Surefeeds 7.) Qty. of 10 Pmags 8.) A lot of ammo.

Don't worry about replacing the trigger right away, as stock Colt triggers are quite good once they break in.

ChattanoogaPhil
03-06-19, 16:16
------------------

Hammer_Man
03-06-19, 17:44
Damn all this gear is so expensive =/. Gotta save up even more now

My recommendations are simply how I would set that rifle up, but your needs may differ from mine. Also, It's not like you need to buy everything all at once. Take your time, and save money when you can and make purchases when you are able. You can also save money buying things used, and our equipment exchange is an excellent place to start looking for hand me down kit.

sentinel77
03-06-19, 18:16
My recommendations are simply how I would set that rifle up, but your needs may differ from mine. Also, It's not like you need to buy everything all at once. Take your time, and save money when you can and make purchases when you are able. You can also save money buying things used, and our equipment exchange is an excellent place to start looking for hand me down kit.

Gotcha, thanks for the help!

Mjolnir
03-07-19, 10:30
A couple of points I didn't see mentioned.. Abuse (multiple mag dumps) is the enemy of longevity. The chrome lining is the same in both barrels and it will wear at the same rate in either. Degrading accuracy occurs as the chrome erodes from the throat forward exposing the barrel steel to accelerated wear. The HF barrel will shoot longer after the chrome is gone. You have to remember... Wearing out a barrel cost 15-20 times what a replacement barrel cost. Don't worry about the difference in longevity.

Correct.

It took me a long time to come to grips with this.

indianalex01
03-08-19, 14:48

And what does this have to do with the 6960??? If you can’t speak to the 6960 which is the question of the post, then why post??? Come on man. If you want to post on the 6920, there are plenty of threads to post about it on. This is on the 6960.

I have a 6960. I am getting 1-2 inch groups. I am using MK318 SOST Mod 1 62gn. And Federal SP1 62gn SP (same as fusion and Gold Dot Bullet. A great platform.

ABNAK
03-08-19, 17:28
And what does this have to do with the 6960??? If you can’t speak to the 6960 which is the question of the post, then why post??? Come on man. If you want to post on the 6920, there are plenty of threads to post about it on. This is on the 6960.

I have a 6960. I am getting 1-2 inch groups. I am using MK318 SOST Mod 1 62gn. And Federal SP1 62gn SP (same as fusion and Gold Dot Bullet. A great platform.

Irons, magnified optic, or RDS? Mk318 is my "grab-and-go" ammo, not bad groups for combat fodder (that's why I asked about the sighting system).

Too bad they don't load that Federal SP1 to 5.56 NATO pressures. That would put it right up there with the vaunted "FBI load" TBBC.

I'd really really like Colt to sell an OEM version of the 6960. I am not a big fan of the handguard that comes on it and would like to get a BCM KMR or MLR for it.

indianalex01
03-08-19, 17:49
Irons, magnified optic, or RDS? Mk318 is my "grab-and-go" ammo, not bad groups for combat fodder (that's why I asked about the sighting system).

Too bad they don't load that Federal SP1 to 5.56 NATO pressures. That would put it right up there with the vaunted "FBI load" TBBC.

I'd really really like Colt to sell an OEM version of the 6960. I am not a big fan of the handguard that comes on it and would like to get a BCM KMR or MLR for it.

The SP1 load is slow but it gives it better penetration while still expanding. Great load. The T3 load(TBBC) is a tougher bullet. It’s made to go through glass and car doors. Both are devastating rounds. I am a SOST Hoe..lol

Core781
03-08-19, 20:11
Hi guys, I'm looking to purchase my first and only AR for HD/SHTF/WROL, and I'm currently looking at the Colt LE6960. Both the mid length gas system and lightweight barrel make it an attractive option. However, I recently found out that the barrel is made from the button cut process and is not cold hammer forged. That being said, does anyone have relatively long term experience with this rifle to be able to offer input on its durability and accuracy? From what I've been reading, the 6960 is a 1.5-2.5 MOA rifle. How long before that 1.5-2.5 MOA becomes 3.5-4.5 MOA? I know Daniel Defense makes a pretty darn accurate CHF lightweight barrel, but is it worth swapping out barrels for that extra added durability and accuracy? Or do you think the 6960's barrel is adequate for its intended use (HD/SHTF/WROL)? Any insight is much appreciated. Thanks!

Colt Defense barrels are made correctly to military tech specs and chrome lined. The CHF barrels cost three times as much and only offer twice the lifespan at best: some aggressive fire rates cause premature wear on CHF and standard military barrels. They are slightly more accurate but if you want long range accuracy you're best off with a SPR or DMR barrel. So a 6920/6960 barrel is the way to go. Colt Defense does it right buy a 6960 and be confident you have everything you need to do whatever you need to get the job done. If you shoot the barrel out, you can buy a FNH CHF CL replacement. I've got a Colt barrel with 8k+ still a good shooter.

indianalex01
03-08-19, 21:19
Colt Defense barrels are made correctly to military tech specs and chrome lined. The CHF barrels cost three times as much and only offer twice the lifespan at best: some aggressive fire rates cause premature wear on CHF and standard military barrels. They are slightly more accurate but if you want long range accuracy you're best off with a SPR or DMR barrel. So a 6920/6960 barrel is the way to go. Colt Defense does it right buy a 6960 and be confident you have everything you need to do whatever you need to get the job done. If you shoot the barrel out, you can buy a FNH CHF CL replacement. I've got a Colt barrel with 8k+ still a good shooter.

Good post but button barrels tend to be more accurate then CHF but don’t usually last as long.

Core781
03-09-19, 08:12
Good post but button barrels tend to be more accurate then CHF but don’t usually last as long.

Colt Defense barrels as discussed are chrome lined, and they are not as accurate as Stainless or Moly button rifled barrels: apples/oranges. CHF CL barrels tend to be more accurate than Non CHF CL barrels. Attention to detail. :cool: Let me explain: chrome lining is not a perfect process per say and often yields slight imperfections. Second: SPR and DMR barrels are typically button rifled Stainless or Moly, because they can be lapped and gauged to a high degree of precision: allowing precision use. However, cold hammer forged barrels yield a nearly perfect bore, if they are chromed it increases lifespan and potentially reduces accuracy ever slightly. Hope this helps.

TexasAggie2005
03-09-19, 08:39
...The CHF barrels cost three times as much...

Not really;

Colt 14.5" gov profile w/ FSB = $260 (http://www.gandrtactical.com/Colt-145-M4-Barrel-w-FSB_p_328.html)
Daniel Defense CHF 14.5" gov profile stripped = $290 (https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/ar-15-m16-5-56-hammer-forged-barrels-prod41976.aspx)
FN CHF 14.5" gov profile, stripped = $299 (https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/ar-15-m16-5-56x45mm-cold-hammer-forged-barrels-prod71548.aspx)

OldState
03-09-19, 09:14
I don’t own the CCU but when asked by my LEO friend for guidance on picking a rifle I suggested he look at it based on the specs. He ended up getting one and I got to try it out briefly.

It’s feels very light and balanced. I was hoping to feel more of a difference in recoil impulse compared to my 6920 but didn’t really feel that. I’m thinking that is because my older 6920 wearing a DD Omega x 12FSP rail makes a heavier rifle.

This is the rifle Colt should have been making years ago. Again to little to late especially considering the recent issues a Colt.

indianalex01
03-09-19, 12:07
Colt Defense barrels as discussed are chrome lined, and they are not as accurate as Stainless or Moly button rifled barrels: apples/oranges. CHF CL barrels tend to be more accurate than Non CHF CL barrels. Attention to detail. :cool: Let me explain: chrome lining is not a perfect process per say and often yields slight imperfections. Second: SPR and DMR barrels are typically button rifled Stainless or Moly, because they can be lapped and gauged to a high degree of precision: allowing precision use. However, cold hammer forged barrels yield a nearly perfect bore, if they are chromed it increases lifespan and potentially reduces accuracy ever slightly. Hope this helps.

I don’t agree with this completely. FN SPR bolt action rifles are chromelined and yield 1/2 inch Guarantee. FN has chrome lining down.

Bullz
03-09-19, 15:05

1) Regarding durability, you can expect about 6,000 rounds from that Colt barrel before the inherent precision of the rifle begins to erode. If you take care and limit getting the rifle hot off of "mag dumps" you can probably expect closer to 10,000 rounds before you notice unacceptable degradation in precision. It could last a lot longer than that, but I think this is a fair "worst case" expectation.

2) The barrel is only part of the equation when you talk about accuracy and precision. You need to have a capable sighting system, quality ammunition, and skill to get the most out of whatever rifle you're using.

3) 1 case of XM193 is about $300. A replacement barrel (as noted in this thread) is $250 or so. You'll have spent near $2000 in ammunition before you need to think about the barrel (and it still might be totally fine for another $2,000 or more worth of ammunition). Don't worry about it until you need to because it's peanuts in the long run.

4) Cold Hammer Forged is somewhat overrated. It might hold up better to sustained abuse or last longer under regular use, but I don't know a single competitor in my circuit who uses one. It's good technology, but I would put way more stake in the fact that Colt is making the rifle rather than what components they are using or how they do it. Colt knows what they are doing and you can trust it's a quality rifle, especially for what you intend to do with it. Colt is the standard by which all others are measured... better or worse. That should tell you something.

5) I have three Colt M4 variant rifles (one is a 6720 and NOT free floated) and all of them will shoot around 1 MOA with proper optics and their favorite ammunition. I also have an FN M4 variant with a cold hammer forged barrel and it does the same. The FN is not measurably better in my hands. Take that for what it's worth. All of these rifles will turn into 4-5 MOA rifles with cheap/junk ammo. The ammo you use can and will make a huge difference in precision and accuracy.

6) Try not to get so caught up on specs. This is your first AR and it's a great starting point. Get decent ammo, Federal is running a $50 rebate until the end of March 2019 and their XM193 is pretty decent for bulk ammo. Learn how to run the gun. Maybe take some appropriate training classes. You can start to nitpick your rifle once you know both it's capabilities and yours.

7) In spite of what I've said... Corroborate and validate EVERYTHING (including what I wrote) you read on the internet and in these forums. There is a lot excellent information out there but there is also a lot misinformation.

Core781
03-09-19, 19:49
Not really;

Colt 14.5" gov profile w/ FSB = $260 (http://www.gandrtactical.com/Colt-145-M4-Barrel-w-FSB_p_328.html)
Daniel Defense CHF 14.5" gov profile stripped = $290 (https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/ar-15-m16-5-56-hammer-forged-barrels-prod41976.aspx)
FN CHF 14.5" gov profile, stripped = $299 (https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/ar-15-m16-5-56x45mm-cold-hammer-forged-barrels-prod71548.aspx)

You are right. I can find a milspec barrel similar to Colt for $100 on sale versus a FNH made CHF runs about $290 on sale.

Core781
03-09-19, 19:57
Apples and oranges. I have not seen chrome lined Stoner barrels that can produce groups like cut rifling moly and ordinance steels. Not to say it's impossible just statistically improbable with current production. Maybe alternative coatings or sleeved high chrome moly barrels?

ABNAK
03-09-19, 22:05
Apples and oranges. I have not seen chrome lined Stoner barrels that can produce groups like cut rifling moly and ordinance steels. Not to say it's impossible just statistically improbable with current production. Maybe alternative coatings or sleeved high chrome moly barrels?

I am far from an expert, but aren't modern 2019-style hard chroming processes improved over past ones?

Bullz
03-10-19, 11:11
I am far from an expert, but aren't modern 2019-style hard chroming processes improved over past ones?

https://criterionbarrels.com/media/chrome-lined-vs-salt-bath-nitrided-barrels/

Criterion says their chrome lined barrels can get .5 moa with hand loads.

ABNAK
03-10-19, 20:01
https://criterionbarrels.com/media/chrome-lined-vs-salt-bath-nitrided-barrels/

Criterion says their chrome lined barrels can get .5 moa with hand loads.

That is one company I had in mind when I posted that!

Wake27
03-10-19, 20:59

Maybe that’s because you’re buying $100 “Mil-Spec” barrels.

MorphCross
03-10-19, 21:35
Maybe that’s because you’re buying $100 “Mil-Spec” barrels.

That and the fact that Cut Rifle barrels receive hand lapping by their makers to the point that they will not strip copper off of the bullet to the degree that a lot of mass produced "mil-spec" barrels will.

Barrels are the sum totality of the amount of work put into them.