PDA

View Full Version : Gas Port Sizing VS Gas Block

Falshooter
03-04-19, 13:55
I recently picked up a Geissele Super Gas Block off the EE here, and unknowingly it's an "FBI HRT Restricted Flow," and it looks to be marked with a gas port opening of 0.680". I'm not too worried about it being undersized for function. What I'm wondering about is if I'll see any issues with a smaller port opening on the block than on the barrel. I assume it'll function the same as an adjustable gas block with the gas turned down, but I wanted to double check.

alx01
03-04-19, 14:32
Can you post pictures? First time I hear about Geissele doing this.

Clint
03-04-19, 16:54
If you're looking to duplicate an 11.5" FBI HRT setup, it should work great.

markm
03-04-19, 17:38
I would have to imagine that the block's inlet is larger than .068, and that it chokes down to that diameter. Otherwise, alignment would have to be very precise.

I too have never heard of this.

prepare
03-04-19, 18:15
I'm running a .067 BRT Custom Tune GP on a 11.5 that has been flawless. The recoil is almost the same as a stock 6920. DD Barrel .075 GP, A5 Buffer System, Surefire 3 prong flash hider/suppressor mount.

Rogue556
03-04-19, 20:20
OP,

Is the block tapped with a port insert installed or is this block some kind of specialty Geissele block that has a reduced size straight from Geissele? If it's the later then I didn't even know these existed.

Any way you could post some pictures?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

GH41
03-05-19, 06:58
I would have to imagine that the block's inlet is larger than .068, and that it chokes down to that diameter. Otherwise, alignment would have to be very precise.

I too have never heard of this.

More than likely it was done like Clint does with his custom tune setup. Might even be his.

Falshooter
03-05-19, 08:42
wrong post.

MQ105
03-05-19, 12:38
I'm assuming you meant the above ^^^ post to be in another thread...?

Anyway, what barrel are you planning to run it on?

markm
03-05-19, 13:20
I'm assuming you meant the above ^^^ post to be in another thread...?

Yeah! :sarcastic: I was wondering how we went from gas block to 6.5 grab ass in mid stream.

Clint
03-05-19, 16:34
The block is not our MicroTUNE, but uses a similar concept.

It is a special variant Geissele did for the FBI and is not commercially available.

It is said to mitigate the effects of gas port wear in the barrel.

markm
03-05-19, 17:18

I really don't believe this to be a legit concern. I know that tear drop erosion in the bore area can cause a small expansion chamber. But I'm very unconvinced that this translates into functional issues.

I'm willing to be wrong, however.

Inkslinger
03-05-19, 17:26
The block is not our MicroTUNE, but uses a similar concept.

It is a special variant Geissele did for the FBI and is not commercially available.

I though gas port erosion occurred in the bore? How would a restricted gas block affect wear?

markm
03-05-19, 17:32
I though gas port erosion occurred in the bore? How would a restricted gas block affect wear?

I THINK the concept is that somehow the whole port could open up due to erosion. And the block would continue to choke the gas down to .069 or whatever.

I could be completely wrong, as I've never seent the thing, but no block is going to impact port erosion.

Inkslinger
03-05-19, 18:10
I THINK the concept is that somehow the whole port could open up due to erosion. And the block would continue to choke the gas down to .069 or whatever.

I could be completely wrong, as I've never seent the thing, but no block is going to impact port erosion.

That makes sense. For whatever reason I was interpreting Clint’s comment as the block would reduce the erosion of the barrel instead of compensating for the effect of it.

Clint
03-06-19, 07:17
How it will work depends on many factors.

What are you building?

I recently picked up a Geissele Super Gas Block off the EE here, and unknowingly it's an "FBI HRT Restricted Flow," and it looks to be marked with a gas port opening of 0.680". I'm not too worried about it being undersized for function. What I'm wondering about is if I'll see any issues with a smaller port opening on the block than on the barrel. I assume it'll function the same as an adjustable gas block with the gas turned down, but I wanted to double check.

jerrysimons
03-07-19, 02:04
Are you interested in selling this gas block?