PDA

View Full Version : Luke Perry dead at 52

Firefly
03-04-19, 14:41
So I was browsing the news and Luke Perry died of a stroke. Yeah he was just an actor but for someone who watched 90210 as a lad, he was like a modern day Jimmy Dean.

The role he played that I thought most of was Normal Life. About this gun nut cop who marries pillhead Ashley Judd and ends up so in hock he resorts to robbing banks with a Galil rifle. It also had a hardcore 90s alternative soundtrack that only speaks to people of a certain age that most of you are either too old or too young to understand and just as well; it wasn’t meant for you.

Plus Ashley Judd got way naked in it while playing with Berettas and Smith revolvers.

End of an era. Some people say the 90s ended on Dec 31st 1999, but no....the 90s ended today.

If you ever seen anyone have a stroke, it isn’t pleasant. Better dead than a vegetable.

When Fiona Apple finally dies; the whole iconography of my youthful optimism will be gone.

Check your brains and your prostates, gentlemen.
Or you’ll go apoplectic and die or start wetting yourself and die.

Kinda negative today but I am just keeping it real.

In Luke Perry’s honor, I am getting one of them ATI Galils in black like Normal Life. He would want it that way.

ETA go see Alita. He would want that too

soulezoo
03-04-19, 14:55
He was the only one in that show, 90210, that I remotely liked or identified with. RIP Luke.
He did a stellar job in 8 seconds.

glocktogo
03-04-19, 15:05
So I was browsing the news and Luke Perry died of a stroke. Yeah he was just an actor but for someone who watched 90210 as a lad, he was like a modern day Jimmy Dean.

The role he played that I thought most of was Normal Life. About this gun nut cop who marries pillhead Ashley Judd and ends up so in hock he resorts to robbing banks with a Galil rifle. It also had a hardcore 90s alternative soundtrack that only speaks to people of a certain age that most of you are either too old or too young to understand and just as well; it wasn’t meant for you.

Plus Ashley Judd got way naked in it while playing with Berettas and Smith revolvers.

End of an era. Some people say the 90s ended on Dec 31st 1999, but no....the 90s ended today.

If you ever seen anyone have a stroke, it isn’t pleasant. Better dead than a vegetable.

When Fiona Apple finally dies; the whole iconography of my youthful optimism will be gone.

Check your brains and your prostates, gentlemen.
Or you’ll go apoplectic and die or start wetting yourself and die.

Kinda negative today but I am just keeping it real.

In Luke Perry’s honor, I am getting one of them ATI Galils in black like Normal Life. He would want it that way.

ETA go see Alita. He would want that too

For a guy a year younger than me, I swear he looked 15-20 years older than I do? Sad to think I'm there already. :(

As for Fiona, she already looked half dead when she shot "Criminal" 21 YEARS ago! Still thought about being the boy she was breaking though!

grizzlyblake
03-04-19, 15:22
Man that makes me feel old. I'm a 1984 baby and my sister was born in 1979 so this speaks to me.

Gonna have to listen to George Strait's I Can Still Make Cheyenne to honor Luke in 8 seconds, and then Bone Thugs Crossroads just cuz.

SteyrAUG
03-04-19, 15:56
In honor of his life, I will think about Ashley Judd naked today.

WillBrink
03-04-19, 16:00
For a guy a year younger than me, I swear he looked 15-20 years older than I do? Sad to think I'm there already. :(

I was thinking same. He's a few years younger than I and I thought "that's a hard 51" when I saw his pic.

Firefly
03-04-19, 16:22
Man that makes me feel old. I'm a 1984 baby and my sister was born in 1979 so this speaks to me.

Gonna have to listen to George Strait's I Can Still Make Cheyenne to honor Luke in 8 seconds, and then Bone Thugs Crossroads just cuz.

I heard that. Also the dude from The Prodigy died too this weekend so this is for all the homies that ain’t here

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/pou_7153.png

BoringGuy45
03-04-19, 17:25
It always sucks to hear of someone dying that young. RIP Luke.

Sam
03-04-19, 18:05
I never watched that show, I don't ever recall seeing any show or movie Luke Perry was in. I don't know him or his personality. But I offer my condolences to his family that he left behind at such a young age. We all have lost friends and family to some kind of disease that claimed them too early. Our beloved Army Chief left us and his loved ones much younger than Perry. We also have someone very close who suffered from a mild stroke and is needing care 24/7. Please remember that there are thousand and thousand of people suffering from stroke, people that are not famous, people that are not household name, people who live down the road from us.

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-04-19, 18:21

I remember that video she was in, sweet Jesus. Then her acceptance speech at something, and my first thought was “This won’t take long”.... but I guess it will.

In honor of his life, I will think about Ashley Judd naked today.

And back to Eight Seconds....

Rip Luke Perry.

Maybe I’ll grow out my sideburns...

ABNAK
03-04-19, 18:24
I wonder if it was a hemorrhagic (i.e. a "bleed" where something broke open in his head) or ischemic (where a clog of some sort blocked off blood flow). Either will kill you of course.

The hemorrhagic type is generally caused from high blood pressure or an aneurysm.

titsonritz
03-04-19, 18:25
I don't ever recall seeing any show or movie Luke Perry was in.

Surely you've seen The Fifth Element.

Younger than I, too young to die. RIP

Firefly
03-04-19, 18:28
I never watched that show, I don't ever recall seeing any show or movie Luke Perry was in. I don't know him or his personality. But I offer my condolences to his family that he left behind at such a young age. We all have lost friends and family to some kind of disease that claimed them too early. Our beloved Army Chief left us and his loved ones much younger than Perry. We also have someone very close who suffered from a mild stroke and is needing care 24/7. Please remember that there are thousand and thousand of people suffering from stroke, people that are not famous, people that are not household name, people who live down the road from us.

True. I wasn't joking about getting checked.

I am at that magical age now where me and Doctor-poo have gotten extraordinarily intimate. Especially after some bouts of head trauma. I also try to eat better and need to work on tobacco.

That said, I'm from the Dirty South where we have a saying "When it's your time; it's your time"

Check your egos at the door and let the doctor do a good bi-annual screen. You can prolong your life for those who like you.

Firefly
03-04-19, 18:28

Younger than I, too young to die. RIP

Waitaminute.....he was in Fifth Element?

ABNAK
03-04-19, 18:34
True. I wasn't joking about getting checked.

I am at that magical age now where me and Doctor-poo have gotten extraordinarily intimate. Especially after some bouts of head trauma. I also try to eat better and need to work on tobacco.

That said, I'm from the Dirty South where we have a saying "When it's your time; it's your time"

Check your egos at the door and let the doctor do a good bi-annual screen. You can prolong your life for those who like you.

Oh hell yeah! Those "routine" checkups sent up a flag and eventually found out I had prostate cancer a couple years ago at 51. I HEARTILY recommend getting shit checked. It'll save your life.

duece71
03-04-19, 18:47
My freshman year in college, I saw the very first episode of 90210 followed by the very first Simpsons episode. Luke Perry's character was someone that was relatable and real.

Chameleox
03-04-19, 19:25
Opening scene in the desert

Sam
03-04-19, 19:34

. RIP

Nope.

Either way, I feel for his family.

FlyingHunter
03-04-19, 20:15
Stroke

• Someone in the US has a stroke every 40 seconds on average.

• In 2016, stroke accounted for about 1 of every 19 deaths in the US.

• On average in 2016, someone died of stroke every 3 minutes 42 seconds.

• When considered separately from other cardiovascular diseases, stroke ranks No. 5 among all
causes of death in the US, killing approximately 142,000 people a year.

• In 2016, the age-adjusted stroke death rate was 37.3 per 100,000, a decrease of 16.7% from 2006,
whereas the actual number of stroke deaths increased 3.7% during the same time period.

• According to data from 2005, stroke was a leading cause of serious long-term disability in the
US. Approximately 3% of males and 2% of females reported that they were disabled because of
stroke.

titsonritz
03-04-19, 20:50

Won't embed...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiaKTWUiAYA

Dr. Bullseye
03-04-19, 21:10
Cocaine. This is what coke does to you.

Arik
03-04-19, 22:46
Of course [emoji849]

Ron3
03-04-19, 23:25
Cocaine. This is what coke does to you.

Source?

I did a brief search and didn't find anything about drug / alcohol abuse.

grizzlyblake
03-05-19, 08:14
I heard that. Also the dude from The Prodigy died too this weekend so this is for all the homies that ain’t here

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/pou_7153.png

Man it's like my childhood is just up and dying off all of a sudden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bfDHCu6MuQ

chuckman
03-05-19, 08:56
Not that it makes any difference to Luke, but 99% of embolic strokes don't have that kind of mortality, especially that fast. If it was in the brainstem then yes but otherwise probably not. So is either brainstem and bollick or hemorrhagic. In any case, a tough way to go, tough for the family.

pinzgauer
03-05-19, 09:45
Firefly clearly has not seen recent pics of Fiona Apple... :) AOC I can sort of understand, but Fiona to me still has that heroin addict look, like a slightly cuter Amy Winehouse. Many better looking girls from that era.

Back to Luke, never understood the heartthrob aspect, though I sort get the James Dean of the 90s analogy.

He has some respect in the horse crowd as he apparently really did bull riding.

Hate to see anyone go young.

Firefly
03-05-19, 10:01
I just googled Fiona Apple 2019 and yikes.

That video was a long time ago.

Man, time flies

pinzgauer
03-05-19, 10:07

Man, time fliesI had to do the same... My faith in your crush tastes is restored!

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-05-19, 10:34

Man, time flies

Well, she didn’t get fat...

docsherm
03-05-19, 12:13

Yes but his best roll was as Pike in Buffy the Vampire Slayer...... Soooooo Funny.

https://66.media.tumblr.com/13841d08655b4bff22cecccf0e3e1781/tumblr_oweh292yAx1qjvgrjo6_r1_400.gif

RIP Luke.

Jsp10477
03-05-19, 19:49
Have to agree with Docsherm. RIP

Firefly
03-05-19, 19:51
Yeah doc. The original was awesome. The tv show was gay except for Allison Hannigan.

Adrenaline_6
03-06-19, 07:47
Yeah doc. The original was awesome. The tv show was gay except for Allison Hannigan.

What? No props for Eliza Dushku?

docsherm
03-06-19, 10:18
What? No props for Eliza Dushku?

I understand where you are coming from with this........ ;)

Breacher 217
03-06-19, 10:44
Betty White is a robot...