PDA

View Full Version : M&P Pro 9mm

Littlelebowski
11-07-08, 11:06
I just want to compete with a 9mm production pistol. The G34 doesn't fit my hand well. Thoughts on the M&P Pro for this use?

Gingerkid
11-07-08, 11:49
I am by no means a great shooter, but I've really enjoyed shooting IDPA with my PRO. The Glocks are a bit chunky for my little hands. The stock sight set-up is very nice. I really like the plain black rear and fiber optic front.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii45/GingerKidPhotos/S5000843.jpg

Nick S
11-07-08, 13:44
I like mine a lot. In my opinion the trigger could be addressed a bit more and the front FO is too big but both of these problems are easily remedied.

John_Wayne777
11-08-08, 09:34
I just want to compete with a 9mm production pistol. The G34 doesn't fit my hand well. Thoughts on the M&P Pro for this use?

The M&P pro offers a trigger break that is the closest to a decent 1911 trigger that I've found on a production gun. If I was going to have a dedicated gamer gun, that would be my choice.

ra2bach
11-08-08, 13:47
I am by no means a great shooter, but I've really enjoyed shooting IDPA with my PRO. The Glocks are a bit chunky for my little hands. The stock sight set-up is very nice. I really like the plain black rear and fiber optic front.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii45/GingerKidPhotos/S5000843.jpg

nice grip tape. did you fashion that up or is there a kit somewhere?

Gingerkid
11-09-08, 09:51
nice grip tape. did you fashion that up or is there a kit somewhere?

It's TruGrip... A CNC machined two piece grip tape that conforms to the grip. I've only had it for a few months, but it's held up well thus far.

http://www.ericwesselman.com/index.html

ToddG
11-09-08, 09:58
Before you decide to buy a dedicated game gun, ask yourself what you're trying to accomplish by playing the game. Personally, it's always been my thought that it's better to come in 5th place with my carry than than 1st place with a gun that serves no purpose other than playing games.

The Pro will give you:
a longer sight radius
"competition" sights
the ability to load your ammo a little weaker if you reload
the Performance Center sear

Longer sight radius: The benefit most shooters get from a longer sight radius is much less than they think. Put another way, very few shooters will actually end up with a better score at the end of the day because they've got a 5" gun instead of a 4" gun.

Competition sights: Unless the sights on the Pro are exactly what you want, this is wasted money. You're paying a premium for the Pro sights, then you'll spend more money on whatever sights you later put on the gun.

Making Power Factor: Again, it's a legitimate thing but like sight radius, very few people are actually going to get better results because they used two tenths of a grain less powder in their charge. When Rob Leatham and Dave Sevigny are fighting tooth & nail to beat each other, tiny differences like that might make a difference. When you're trying to beat the guys at your local club ... not so much.

Performance Center sear: There's no denying, the PC sear is a great improvement over the stock one. To me, it's the reason to buy a Pro. If the better trigger pull alone justifies the increased price over a regular M&P (or whatever other guns you're looking at), go for it. Otherwise ... consider getting a standard M&P (or whatever).

Littlelebowski
11-10-08, 07:57
It's a shame I can't get the Performance Center sear separately.

BigDog
11-11-08, 09:19
It's a shame I can't get the Performance Center sear separately.

gotm4 told me he can install the PC sear in my M&P45 if I wanted, so they are available...

Rayrevolver
11-12-08, 14:41
gotm4 told me he can install the PC sear in my M&P45 if I wanted, so they are available...

How much? I am contemplating the M&P 9L since I do not like the Pro sights. Once I get the funds I will talk to Grant about the M&P 9L + Straight 8's.

BigDog
11-13-08, 16:00
How much? I am contemplating the M&P 9L since I do not like the Pro sights. Once I get the funds I will talk to Grant about the M&P 9L + Straight 8's.

Dunno, the trigger on my 45 is ok at the moment so I didn't pursue it...

R Moran
11-13-08, 16:29
I may get the long slide, soley because I generally put a light on the gun, so why not have the extra length barrel and slide?

Thats why I ended up getting a G34.

What I'd like is a longslide .40 with a pro sear and thumb safety, and Hienie or Warren sights. Maybe they'll make a longslide .40 in the future.

Bob

sigmundsauer
11-13-08, 16:51
Before you decide to buy a dedicated game gun, ask yourself what you're trying to accomplish by playing the game. Personally, it's always been my thought that it's better to come in 5th place with my carry than than 1st place with a gun that serves no purpose other than playing games.

Amen!

Tim