PDA

View Full Version : Archon 9mm

7spdnut
03-04-19, 20:20
Anyone shoot one yet ?
Or what do you think about gun

Don Quijote
03-05-19, 04:25
Never heard of it. Went to their website and had a good laugh at all the ridiculous buzzwords and tacticool phrases all over it.

Most of their boasts ring hollow, such as this:

The Company's flagship pistol, the TYPE B, is based on its ground breaking AF-Speedlock technology which represents the company’s commitment to redefining industry standards by driving a new level of technology, performance, ergonomics, and functionality never seen before.

So I search for this majikal AF-Speedlock technology and end up at the Arsenal Firearms website looking at a pistol that looks identical to it:
https://arsenalfirearms.eu/en/strykb/ and figure out that AF-Speedlock is basically a rotating lockup barrel. Gee, something Beretta has been doing for decades.....so much for ground breaking.

I think I'm gonna pass until this thing sets the USPSA or IPSC worlds on fire. Which means I'll likely never buy one.

Adrenaline_6
03-05-19, 09:10
Never heard of it. Went to their website and had a good laugh at all the ridiculous buzzwords and tacticool phrases all over it.

So I search for this majikal AF-Speedlock technology and end up at the Arsenal Firearms website looking at a pistol that looks identical to it:
https://arsenalfirearms.eu/en/strykb/ and figure out that AF-Speedlock is basically a rotating lockup barrel. Gee, something Beretta has been doing for decades.....so much for ground breaking.

I think I'm gonna pass until this thing sets the USPSA or IPSC worlds on fire. Which means I'll likely never buy one.

From what I understand, the Arsenal Stryke B became the Archon Type B in the US. Same gun. Before that, it was the Strike One.

https://www.all4shooters.com/en/shooting/culture/arsenal-firearms-becomes-archon-firearms-in-the-us/

Outlander Systems
03-05-19, 11:06
What does this offer against, say, a Glock 17?

03-05-19, 11:13

For starters, a $849 price tag on Rainier. It has my curiosity up, but I will not be an early adopter.

Don Quijote
03-05-19, 12:45

For starters, a $849 price tag on Rainier.

At that price I'll be a never-adopter

Falshooter
03-05-19, 16:31
It's a real shame guns like ^^^ and the Caracal can't get their shit together and be accurate and reliable. The idea is great for both, but execution is less than optimal. Not worth pissing money on either one at this point. Kind of like the Hudson POS too.

Arik
03-05-19, 19:25
It's a real shame guns like ^^^ and the Caracal can't get their shit together and be accurate and reliable. The idea is great for both, but execution is less than optimal. Not worth pissing money on either one at this point. Kind of like the Hudson POS too.I think I'd they did what the Turks did it would sell. Brand new Caniks were like $300 10 years ago and came with lots of features. Here you have a untested gun and they want what? $800+?

What happened to the H9? I stopped following it but had in the back of my mind to pick one up eventually, if I ran across a good price for a used one

Don Quijote
03-05-19, 20:30
Wake me up when they show they can stand up to 20,000+ rounds a year.

Falshooter
03-06-19, 06:06
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/4NPUrOeaZZo/mqdefault.jpg

Adrenaline_6
03-06-19, 07:37
It's a real shame guns like ^^^ and the Caracal can't get their shit together and be accurate and reliable. The idea is great for both, but execution is less than optimal. Not worth pissing money on either one at this point. Kind of like the Hudson POS too.

I agree. The Caracal had promise, but the execution made it fall flat on it's face.

paco ramirez
03-08-19, 12:54

Not sure where you're getting a rotating barrel from, but the Archon Type B doesn't have a rotating barrel at all, neither does the Stryk.

I've shot it, but only with a few silencers on the front. It ran with no malfunctions over the course of 500rds of 5 different ammo types. Pretty accurate with a decent trigger, the sights aren't my type but they use the standard Glock dovetail so they're easy to switch out. I like that it comes with 4 Mec Gar magazines and the way the checkering pattern is done on the grip.

Don Quijote
03-08-19, 15:44
Not sure where you're getting a rotating barrel from,

Whatever, their technical description isn't very clear anyway. Not that I care that much. It's dumb vaporware that won't go far in this country.

Bart Noir
03-12-19, 14:14
It may not go far in the market place, in fact probably won't since I held one at Rainier Arms and didn't buy it. If you knew how much of an impulse buyer I am, you would know that is almost the marketing kiss-of-death.

The locking design is almost a cross between a Beretta M92 and a Browning belt-fed. There is a locking piece that moves up and down to lock barrel to slide. It fits tightly against the barrel and doesn't move much vertically, so the barrel can sit quite low in the frame.

Bart Noir

paco ramirez
03-12-19, 19:30
Whatever, their technical description isn't very clear anyway. Not that I care that much. It's dumb vaporware that won't go far in this country.

Their technical description is very clear if you would have bothered to look into it at all. And it's not vaporware either, they're available if you were to want one. It seems like you care an awful lot for a guy that claims not to care.

Don Quijote
03-12-19, 21:46
Their technical description is very clear if you would have bothered to look into it at all. And it's not vaporware either, they're available if you were to want one. It seems like you care an awful lot for a guy that claims not to care.

Do you sell them? To people who actually shoot?

paco ramirez
03-12-19, 22:51
Do you sell them? To people who actually shoot?

No we don't sell them, we're not a gun shop.

Boogieman2
03-13-19, 05:25
I had a type b but sold it. Now keep in mind I have my own reasons I sold it so I’m not sure if I could offer a review but I will say it’s a nice gun shoots flat and it has a nice trigger. I also shot the prototype about 3 years ago. Archon used to be Arsenal USA which both are and were owned by salient arms.

Bart Noir
03-13-19, 18:46
Not vaporware, as I said. Last weekend I checked one out at Rainier Arms in Auburn, Washington.

Bart Noir

Don Quijote
03-14-19, 04:17
In five years the market won't even know what they are.

Adrenaline_6
03-14-19, 09:52

It was introduced as the Strike One in 2012, finally approved for import in 2014, and then partnered with Salient in 2016. I don't own one or shot one, much less handled one so I can't say yay or nay on how good or bad it is to me. How much experience do you have with it?

Don Quijote
03-14-19, 14:47
It was introduced as the Strike One in 2012, finally approved for import in 2014, and then partnered with Salient in 2016. I don't own one or shot one, much less handled one so I can't say yay or nay on how good or bad it is to me. How much experience do you have with it?
Enough experience to know that no one is buying them. There's probably a good reason for that.

Adrenaline_6
03-14-19, 15:32
Enough experience to know that no one is buying them. There's probably a good reason for that.

So what you are trying to talk around is "none" then. Correct?

Boogieman2
03-14-19, 18:48

Could be right about that one, it’s a cool neat gun but nothing to write home about

Arik
03-14-19, 19:08
Could be right about that one, it’s a cool neat gun but nothing to write home aboutPretty much every gun

Don Quijote
03-14-19, 19:09
So what you are trying to talk around is "none" then. Correct?

Only an idiot thinks that some no name company, that changed its name to another that no one has ever heard about, that can't get any distribution traction, that allies itself with a company from which only douchebags buy guns from (Salient), is going to make a mark in the most competitive firearms market in the world.

I don't need to shoot the ****ing thing to know it's a dead end.

But you go ahead and defend the latest tacticool hotness that no one will give a shit about in 5 years. LOL

Coal Dragger
03-14-19, 19:35
I handled a Strike One (Arsenal) at a local shop that had a few, interesting gun but priced high enough to make me hesitant to buy one given the unknown quality and support. Turns out that was a wise decision.

The Archon iteration might be a good pistol, but I’ve seen reports of light strikes on primers. I would let others beta test this one. Considering the Hudson H9 debacle, I would hate to spend the $$$ on a Type B only to have it turn out to be a temperamental pile of garbage with no factory support.

Arik
03-14-19, 19:40
I handled a Strike One (Arsenal) at a local shop that had a few, interesting gun but priced high enough to make me hesitant to buy one given the unknown quality and support. Turns out that was a wise decision.

The Archon iteration might be a good pistol, but I’ve seen reports of light strikes on primers. I would let others beta test this one. Considering the Hudson H9 debacle, I would hate to spend the $$$ on a Type B only to have it turn out to be a temperamental pile of garbage with no factory support.

Nevermind found it

msnyder0609
03-14-19, 19:50
I've shot one. Just a few mags. Enough for a first impression, though.

Super low bore axis, it shoots very flat. Really nice trigger, but no trigger safety of any sort if I recall. I like the recessed section at the front of the slide. Makes manipulations easy. ...If it were precut for an RMR I'd say that'd justify the price. But at 800+ for a gun not optics ready, I'm not super interested.

Adrenaline_6
03-14-19, 21:56
Only an idiot thinks that some no name company, that changed its name to another that no one has ever heard about, that can't get any distribution traction, that allies itself with a company from which only douchebags buy guns from (Salient), is going to make a mark in the most competitive firearms market in the world.

I don't need to shoot the ****ing thing to know it's a dead end.

But you go ahead and defend the latest tacticool hotness that no one will give a shit about in 5 years. LOL

If you would have bothered to read my post instead of get caught up in your hate, you would have seen that I wasn't defending it or attacking it, because, just like you, I have no basis and any experience to do it with. You should do the same, because the bottom line is you don't have a freaking clue. Save your hate for someplace else or go to whatever fan boy pistol forum you worship. Your contribution to the OP = zero and even your entertainment value is lacking.

Boogieman2
03-14-19, 23:51
If you would have bothered to read my post instead of get caught up in your hate, you would have seen that I wasn't defending it or attacking it, because, just like you, I have no basis and any experience to do it with. You should do the same, because the bottom line is you don't have a freaking clue. Save your hate for someplace else or go to whatever fan boy pistol forum you worship. Your contribution to the OP = zero and even your entertainment value is lacking.

Damn man, I even had to go to the hospital after that burn and it wasn’t even directed at me!

paco ramirez
03-15-19, 10:44
I've shot one. Just a few mags. Enough for a first impression, though.

Super low bore axis, it shoots very flat. Really nice trigger, but no trigger safety of any sort if I recall. I like the recessed section at the front of the slide. Makes manipulations easy. ...If it were precut for an RMR I'd say that'd justify the price. But at 800+ for a gun not optics ready, I'm not super interested.

The trigger itself is the trigger safety lever. Imagine the bottom part of an M&P trigger being the whole trigger body instead of just the bottom half.

evnash
06-15-20, 12:46
i created a Facebook group for the Type B if anyone wants to join.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/872835486535505

seb5
06-15-20, 13:28
I saw this and clicked on it and scrolled thru the first page. Three banned members! Got to be a record.

Bart Noir
06-20-20, 01:11
I recently bought one and have a couple of hundred rounds through it, 115 and 124 grain jacketed. It is a great shooting pistol. I will have a personal shoot-off with several other models of striker nines, and the Archon may replace one or more of those. It is that easy to shoot accurately and fast, by my non-impressive personal standards.

Mine has the Hungarian proof marks but where the above picture showed the word "Hungary" mine says "Las Vegas NV".

What is interesting is the owner's manual making a point (in Para 4.1) of the removable interior mechanism (called a monocoque) being "legally classified as a non-essential firearms component" in other words, the opposite of the SIG P320. With the Archon, the serial number is on the frame same as the Glocks, but the "monocoque" (yes, there is a bad joke just waiting there) is also serial numbered. All told, I've found 4 matching serial numbers on this.

I also found that at least one of my CZ-75 magazines will latch into the Archon, but other CZ-75 mags will not. I may experiment a bit more along that path.

Anyone else think that a big multinational manufacturer is hoping to steal some of Glock's market with the Archon?

Bart Noir

26 Inf
06-20-20, 11:28
I saw this and clicked on it and scrolled thru the first page. Three banned members! Got to be a record.

Late to the party myself. I'm guessing that the posts that put Outlander and fal over the top were deleted. Generally when I see someone banned I look at their post history to see the triggering event so I can avoid the pitfall.

Arik
06-20-20, 20:54
Late to the party myself. I'm guessing that the posts that put Outlander and fal over the top were deleted. Generally when I see someone banned I look at their post history to see the triggering event so I can avoid the pitfall.Coronavirus related

ddbtoth
06-22-20, 15:33
Is this the Russian designed pistol?

Bart Noir
06-24-20, 15:22
Yes, it was designed in Russia although I have no idea if any non-Russian designer was involved. Then, after years of name changes and corporate false starts, it is on the market with final assembly in the US of A. I think.

Twilk73
06-24-20, 23:49
I just picked a lightly used type b up for $780 with a holster, can't wait to shoot it. Yes I own glocks. There is a lot of hate in this forum over price. Glocks are massed produced so don't expect this to meet that price. I wonder how many of you complaining about the price upgrade your phone once every year or two. I personally was hesatent myself because I don't think I'll be carrying this over my g19. So in my mind it's hard to justify purchasing this gun I don't need. However, I came upon this gun while looking for a gen 5 g19 used to trick out. I also tend to like unique guns. Myself defense guns are all pretty bland, everything else is unique or tricked out.

CCK
06-27-20, 09:43
Rented one, shot extremely well with it. If I hadn't consolidated on one gun recently I'd be all over it.

Twilk73
06-27-20, 09:53
Rented one, shot extremely well with it. If I hadn't consolidated on one gun recently I'd be all over it.

How was the trigger? Mine is mushy until the break. I think I have a first gen.

Bart Noir
07-01-20, 02:41
First Gen Archon Type B? How can I tell the generation of mine?

Bart Noir

Twilk73
07-01-20, 07:21

Bart Noir

I don't know, if you have the Hungarian model it's not a first gen. They're not really gens, more like early version and revised version. The early version had lots of little issues with light primer strikes and maybe other issues. If you have these issues they will fix it however.

.XL
10-14-20, 08:48
Bart Noir

https://youtu.be/439il-Nuv6I
After 14:20

Biggy
10-14-20, 11:09
These days it seems like everyone and their brother are coming out with new striker fired 9mm pistols. IMHO, many of them could end up being decent pistols, **but** most of them will never go anywhere or hit the big time, and will eventually just fade away.

Twilk73
10-14-20, 22:43
These days it seems like everyone and their brother are coming out with new striker fired 9mm pistols. IMHO, many of them could end up being decent pistols, **but** most of them will never go anywhere or hit the big time, and will eventually just fade away.

Im a glock fan boy. Love the simplicity and reliability. However, my archon type b is my current carry. Love this gun. I shoot it better it feels better in the hands. The trigger is amazing. I bought mine used it might have an aftermarket trigger it feels so good.

To be clear for the same price as the archon you could make a glock just as nice. The archon trigger shoe is something special though. And it seems to shoot a tad flatter than my g19. I'm hoping this company stays around.

sundance435
10-16-20, 08:08
I've read nothing but good things about them and I'm starting to pay attention. Isn't there some weird issue with the mag release?

Twilk73
10-17-20, 09:29
If you put the mag in backwoods you can rotate the mag release.

Sikiguya
12-06-20, 14:00
If you put the mag in backwoods you can rotate the mag release.

https://media4.giphy.com/media/kAq6HQVQmK5WM/giphy.gif

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bart Noir
12-06-20, 21:14
Nicely done. It took me a moment.