PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Troy Ambi Mag Release roll pin walkout solution

JediGuy
03-06-19, 07:08
As was noted in a previous thread on ambidextrous controls by another user, the roll pin on my Troy mag release is walking out to the ‘front.’ I noted this possibility before purchasing, and I kept the release because it is the best ambidextrous mag release I’ve found (for use, for me, particularly at a price point [on sale] and combined with a Maritime bolt catch).
Still, this is mildly annoying, since I’m not sure I’ve even fired the gun since installing; just dry fire, and a limited mount of that.

Any ideas on how to limit/eliminate this problem? I’d imagine that regular rotating pressure makes it difficult to find an ideal solution, but I’d love to get some ideas.

Hammer_Man
03-06-19, 10:37
Toss that hunk o' junk, and put a normal mag release in there, or replace it with a Norgon.

Freelance
03-06-19, 10:48
Try contacting Troy, if it is defective they will probably replace for you. I have one on one of my lowers and have never had an issue with it ( been about 7 years now I would say. ) As mentioned above I prefer the Norgon, but they are usually pricey and rarely found at a discount unless used.

Renegade
03-06-19, 11:16
As was noted in a previous thread on ambidextrous controls by another user, the roll pin on my Troy mag release is walking out to the ‘front.’ I noted this possibility before purchasing, and I kept the release because it is the best ambidextrous mag release I’ve found (for use, for me, particularly at a price point [on sale] and combined with a Maritime bolt catch).
Still, this is mildly annoying, since I’m not sure I’ve even fired the gun since installing; just dry fire, and a limited mount of that.

Any ideas on how to limit/eliminate this problem? I’d imagine that regular rotating pressure makes it difficult to find an ideal solution, but I’d love to get some ideas.

Try a new roll pin.

titsonritz
03-06-19, 11:58
Toss that hunk o' junk, and put a normal mag release in there, or replace it with a Norgon.

...or a Forward Controls.

ETA: Never mind, I missed you are using the Maritime catch, it and the FCD mag release are incompatible.

titsonritz
03-06-19, 12:19
Seems to be an issue with them...
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?194707-Looking-at-Three-Ambi-Magazine-Releases&p=2470142#post2470142

JediGuy
03-06-19, 21:20
I knew in advance that this was a potential problem. I’m not losing sleep over it, but wondered if the more engineering-capable members might have a suggestions. I do find it by far the best placement for a mag release on the left side, which is the only reason I’d look for a solution to a known problem.

26 Inf
03-06-19, 23:56
I still have a Troy on a rifle I use, the pin hasn't walked, yet. Mine looks to have a standard slotted spring pin in it, maybe a coiled spring pin would work, although it looks like it might cost $9.08 plus shipping to find out:

https://www.mcmaster.com/standard-spring-pins

Maybe an industrial supply house would have coiled pins that small in stock so you didn't have to buy a hundred.

Not sure how robust the ears on the pad are, I'd be a little worried about hogging out, or breaking out the holes.

You might also try Loctite Sleeve Retainer: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NCB37424

Good luck.

seb5
03-07-19, 05:34
Over the years I've used several Troy's and had one out of maybe 6 or 7 that did this. Some of my rifles had round counts of 5-7 thousand and it only happened once. I contacted Troy and they sent me replacements. As a lefty it was the best solution for me at the time. Now, there are better options and I've switched over my rifles.