PDA

View Full Version : Quality? on POF lower Receivers

STI2031
11-07-08, 11:25
Just wondering if anyone on the forum has any information on the quality and craftsmanship on rifles or lower receivers from Patriot Ordnance Factory. Any insight would be helpful.

Link provided: http://www.pof-usa.com/lower/lowerreceiver.htm

WesleyCE
11-07-08, 11:56
I have one I am in the process of building a midlength on. The only thing I can see that might cause an issue is with the bolt catch. It has more back and forth play than my LMT lower which causes my PMAG followers to bind a bit. This only happens when the upper is not on the lower and the bolt catch can move freely and you wiggle the PMAG some. With the upper on it seems to work just fine.
I have not had a chance to test fire the lower yet. Still waiting on some other parts for the upper that will go with it. It also has a complete LMT LPK in it so I know the parts are quality.

I also remember reading about BushmasterFanBoy having the same issue with one of his lowers although I do not believe it was a POF. I think everything worked out fine and it was a non issue. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=11252&highlight=bolt+catch

FWIW, I am really not worried about it at this time and I do not think it will cause any problems.

Wes

billybronco
11-07-08, 12:11
Not an owner and no experience so I really shouldn't be responding but I am anyways.

From what I've "heard" and I know this is asinine of me; however, higher quality billet lowers can be had for much cheaper.

I bought a Sun Devil and mfg is top notch and saved me 100.00 +.

Overall, though, I've heard the complete units run like champs.

Parabellum9x19mm
11-07-08, 12:59
i bought a POF Gen II 415.

if i could do it over again, i would not repeat the purchase. if i found that really wanted a billet (a BIG if) i would get a Sun Devil, but a plain milspec forged lower would probably be a better choice.

there was immediately an issue with the lower (hole for the bolt catch spring was too shallow) the problem was resolved by POF. as it stands now, the lower works fine, it has a unique, striking look....but its very expensive. it offers no improved functionality compared to a milspec lower and is made of a weaker material. not that i care if its not as strong...the build is a range queen....but for general purposes, i don't see the point of a more expensive, weaker option that is more likely to be out of spec.

it just seems that something that costs three times more than comparable offerings on the market should work right out of the box. the fact that i had issues with an out of spec lower and that i wasn't reimbursed for shipping really soured my experience.

granted, i have very bad luck when it comes to weapons. i have a knack for finding every single mistake that slips thru QC....i've dealt with CS more than i've ever wanted to. i've found that my CS experiences totally color my impressions of companies. in an absolute sense, my CS experience from POF wasn't the worst CS dealing i've had...far from it...but considering the relative cost of their products, i found the CS to be completely lack-luster: no shipping reimbursement, long lead time, no communication.

i'm not trying to bash POF here. i know people like them, but i'm just being honest. my experience wasn't good and i wouldn't repeat it. i don't really see the point of the POF lower, other than the fact that it looks different and the finish is very nice....but you would still probably be better off with a Sun Devil.

WesleyCE
11-07-08, 14:02
I believe the POF is made of the same material as forged lowers like LMT, Noveske and CMT: 7075 T6 aluminum.

Parabellum9x19mm
11-07-08, 14:20
yeah, i googled the specs and that seems to the case.

i'm not a materials engineer or anything like that.

sorry about the inaccuracy, thanks for correcting me...i learned something. i thought all billet lowers were 6061, but i really don't know much in regards to the manufacturing side of things. then again, i don't much much about any side of things. just trying to help by giving my opinion on my personal experience with the lower....admittedly it is not the most educated opinion on the forum.

STI2031
11-07-08, 15:07
Thanks everyone for the advice. The information provided has helped me make an informed decision.

WesleyCE
11-07-08, 15:43
...admittedly it is not the most educated opinion on the forum.

same here:D

POF.Ops
11-08-08, 00:31
I have a complete 415 rifle and the only issue I have had with it is that is finicky about the mags used to function properly. Mags must have the latest Magpul follower to lock the bolt open on the last round. I would have chosen the LMT piston over the POF had it been available when I bought mine.

11-08-08, 02:15
I have both POF and Sun Devil, both good, but yes, if I had to do it all over again, there's no reason not to go with Sun Devil only. Save you mucho money.

bkb0000
11-09-08, 04:38
what's sundevil making their lowers out of? the website doesn't say, so I'm gonna assume 6061

Sabre675
11-09-08, 17:29
I had one that I was very pleased with and ordered another and received it yesterday. Very clean receiver and not really much more $$ if you build it yourself with the parts you want. A complete POF lower can be had for around $340 ish.