PDA

View Full Version : New Colt 6920 -- Need advice for sights?

Uni-Vibe
03-06-19, 15:21
I just acquired a new 6920. I intend to use this rifle as a "car gun" in case of trouble on the road.

It comes with a Magpul flip-up rear sight. I don't want to add any kind of "optic," but what do y'all recommend:

1. Keep the Magpul: it's free, it's already on there, just sight it in.

2. Add a A3 carry handle: It's what I'm used to, it's more rugged.

3. Add the "detachable rear sight" that does the same thing as the sight built into the carry handle.

Any ideas are appreciated.

RHINOWSO
03-06-19, 15:28
I intend to use this rifle as a "car gun" in case of trouble on the road.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Comply with local laws on storing a rifle in your vic.

Don't complain when it gets stolen.

Other than that, it's pretty self explanatory.

Hammer_Man
03-06-19, 15:32
The truck gun concept has been discussed already. In regards to sights, an A3 handle is a good choice, and will serve you for a long time. If you want something more stream lined, I recommend the LMT fixed rear sight. It functions just like your carry handle sights, but leaves room for an optic should you choose to add on in the future.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/rear-sights/ar-15-tactical-adjustable-rear-sight-assembly-prod86567.aspx?avs%7cManufacturer_1=LEWIS%2bMACHINE%2bzzxzz%2bTOOL

ggammell
03-06-19, 15:36
What’s wrong with the Magpul that you want to replace it?

RHINOWSO
03-06-19, 15:45
Yeah this seems to be just another attention seeking rehash of rehashed material.

Pick a sight you like and throw it in your vehicle if you so choose.

Doc Safari
03-06-19, 15:54
Maybe the LMT "chopped carry handle" style rear sight, or the Daniel Defense 1.5?

Both are rugged. Just be careful. IIRC there are counterfeits of the LMT sight (I seem to remember some airsoft clones or something being sold on Ebay).

The MagPul MBUS is good too. I dropped a rifle right on the MagPul in the deployed position, and it didn't even change the point of aim (just dinged the sight a little).

Uni-Vibe
03-06-19, 16:01
Hate to seek more attention, but the front sight on the 6920 is not "F" marked. Instead it's marked <B>1.

Does that mean I need some non-standard rear sight?

grizzman
03-06-19, 16:03
A Colt A3 carry handle is a solid option if you want elevation adjustment and durability (for much less than LMT wants for the chopped sight).

Doc Safari
03-06-19, 16:09
Hate to seek more attention, but the front sight on the 6920 is not "F" marked. Instead it's marked <B>1.

You won't know until you fire it. But the issue is whether you need a nonstandard FRONT sight post. I have two Colt 6720's. Neither has an "F" marked front sight base. The first one was sighted in fine from the factory, and the base of the front sight was flush with the top hole in the FSB like you'd expect. The other one I had to sight in, and the front sight was sticking up uncomfortably high in the FSB when I was done. I replaced it with the .040 taller front sight post available from Bushmaster or KNS and rocked on.

https://www.knsprecisioninc.com/product/square-072-front-sight-040-taller/

(If it takes you longer than 30 seconds to install, then I suggest golf is probably more suited to you?) :jester:

Doc Safari
03-06-19, 16:09
A Colt A3 carry handle is a solid option if you want elevation adjustment and durability (for much less than LMT wants for the chopped sight).

I, too, love the carry handle. I'd have to concede you're 100% right. You changed my mind.

Inkslinger
03-06-19, 16:15
The Magpul sights will work just fine in the highly unlikely event in which you will need to deploy your “car, truck, trunk, bicycle built for two” gun.

grizzman
03-06-19, 16:21
Far as long as I've owned ARs, I've had (at least) one with a fixed carry handle and A2 FSB setup.

I've now got three of them. :)

I do have an AR with a DD 1.5 set, but I think it looks "weird". It's a dedicated lightweight setup, so I accept it's odd appearance.

Josefius
03-06-19, 16:27
I put the A3 carry handle on mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Uni-Vibe
03-06-19, 16:42
I, too, love the carry handle. I'd have to concede you're 100% right. You changed my mind.

This goes double for me -- my main AR since I bought it in '99 is a Bushmaster A2. 20" with fixed carry handle. So I'm used to the carry handle. Makes sense to buy a Colt one and slap it on there.

Hammer_Man
03-06-19, 17:50
Where are you guys finding cheap carry handles of good quality?

Renegade04
03-06-19, 17:54
Midwest Industries has their new Combat Rifle Rear Fixed Sight.

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/Combat-Rifle-Fixed-Rear-Sight-p/mi-cbuis.htm

They also have a detachable carrying handle.

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/product-p/mi-carryhandle.htm

grizzman
03-06-19, 18:09
I bought two unused Colt units from this forum's EE. According to my spreadsheet, one cost $65 and the other was $85...within the last year or so.

26 Inf
03-07-19, 00:17
If you really think about it, you would be very unlikely to use the elevation adjustments on the A2 carrying handle's sight. Additionally, carrying in a 'truck' the elevation wheel may get bumped, throwing your expected POI off. Why chance it?

The fixed Troy Battlesight is rock solid: https://troyind.com/products/fixed-rear-sight-blk

Combined with the CSAT Aperture: http://www.xssights.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=993121&

Should give you a rock solid solution for close range (with no offset) to whatever distance you zero at (I'm a 100 yard fan with fixed sights).

grizzlyblake
03-07-19, 06:22
I've used DD 1.5 for the past 5 years on mine, but that fixed Troy looks really beefy.

How about that CSAT aperture? I'm digging that. Does the 7yds thing really work?

It's funny that the throwaway car gun here is the same as my one and only primary rifle.

26 Inf
03-07-19, 11:14
How about that CSAT aperture? I'm digging that. Does the 7yds thing really work?

Here are the instructions:

About the CSAT Aperture: Switch From CQB Mode To Long-Range Targeting Without Changing The Aperture

Easy-to-use replacement for standard A2 rear aperture allows the shooter to engage targets at ranges up to 300 yards without changing the aperture, eliminating the need to reposition your head or take hands off weapon.

The .095" wide notch at the top of the dual-function aperture face provides point-of-impact zero that lets the operator engage close-range targets with ease by simply shooting to the point of aim like a pistol. Takes the thinking out of the equation for fast, instinctive target acquisition.

Use the .070" diameter aperture below the notch for precise long-range target engagement.

Flip the CSAT face down to reveal a standard, A2-style .200" diameter peep for close-range only operations.

CSAT is easy to zero; even easier to train shooters to use.

Zero the notch at 7 yards by aligning the front sight in the notch like a handgun sight, then move back to 100 yards and zero the aperture.

Fire test shots sighted through the notch in 5-yard intervals, starting at 10-yards to determine where offset sets in; that’s the range where you should transition to the peep hole.

Precision machined from steel, with a serrated rear face that minimizes glare, and a dished area around the peep hole that helps the eye acquire the front sight quickly.

Adjusts for windage and elevation just like a standard A2 peep.

Developed by Paul Howe, combat shooting trainer and retired U.S. Army assault team leader, sniper, and senior instructor.

Here is the XS link, the CSAT for the Troy are are 6.00 more than for the 'standard' CSAT: http://www.xssights.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=993121&CAT=8276

I had one, worked as advertised, it was on a rifle I gave to my son. I have the Troy fixed battlesights on the rifles with A2 front sights I intend to keep, but haven't replaced the apertures on any of them.

The ARMS 40L-SP rear sight that I've had forever has CQB/ranging notches on the apertures, wonder if that was the precursor?

26 Inf
03-07-19, 11:23
I've used DD 1.5 for the past 5 years on mine, but that fixed Troy looks really beefy.

The DD1.5's cost about the same, I believe. XS makes a CSAT that would fit them.

Most of the training rifles at our Academy were built by Greg 'Sully' Sullivan who is an SME on the site. They came with the Troy Battlesights and that is where I developed a liking for them.

They (the Troy's) are pretty robust, and, in my opinion, nice looking.

Circle_10
03-07-19, 12:00
I have the Magpul rear sights as backups that stay folded down on a couple guns with optics on them.
Folding rear sights aren't the worst idea for a rifle that is going to be stored in a vehicle, presumably behind a seat or something....in fact storing a rifle in a vehicle *at all* is probably a much worse idea than having folding sights on the gun you are storing in said vehicle. But anyway....my *personal* preference for an "irons only" gun is for a somewhat more "substantial" fixed rear sight than the folding Magpuls. I actually use ARs with fixed A1 or A2 carry handles as "truck guns" regularly (although mine come back in the house with me and don't get stored in the vehicle) as far as detachable sights, i've used DD A1.5s, LMTs, chopped carry handles and intact carry handles. They all work well. If it a were a gun I was going to chuck into a vehicle, I'd go with the detachable carry handle myself.
Not that the rail on the receiver is going to be particularly susceptible to any kind of damage but a detachable carry handle will protect the rail from dings and whatnot if your axe or your chainsaw or whatever else you have back there bangs into it , and I've found that in the confines of a vehicle, a carry handle on an AR gives you something convenient to grab on to when you just need to pull the gun out from behind something or throw it out of the way or whatever.
I also like the carry handle as a easy place to loop a cable lock through in the event I have to leave the vehicle to run into a store or something. Granted, I tend to use fixed carry handles for this, and a detachable one wouldn't work so well as it could simply be detached from the gun via the thumb screws and left behind as the thief takes off with the rifle.
Although I tend to cut the knobs off my detachable carry handles and A2 style sights, shorten the screws, and use locktited nuts instead of the bulky knobs. So if you did that, unless your average smash-and-grab thief happens to have the right size wrench on him, simply removing the carry handle is going to be tricky and time consuming.
But I still don't advocate leaving the gun in the car all the time.

EDIT: this is actually a good point though about A2 style sights too though. Personally I have my zeroed rear sight witness marked with dots of white paint.

If you really think about it, you would be very unlikely to use the elevation adjustments on the A2 carrying handle's sight. Additionally, carrying in a 'truck' the elevation wheel may get bumped, throwing your expected POI off. Why chance it?

Buncheong
03-07-19, 17:57

My understanding is the no FSBs are “F” marked anymore.

Then again, check my sig line, and treat anything I say with great skepticism.

Zirk208
03-07-19, 21:47

Have you tried to zero it first before thinking there might be a problem?

Uni-Vibe
03-07-19, 22:15
Have you tried to zero it first before thinking there might be a problem?

No, I anticipated a possible problem and asked the M4C crowd first.

Thanks for all the suggestions. The fixed rear sights from LMT etc. looked serious. I went ahead and got a new Colt takeoff A3 carry handle off a bulletin board. $70 shipped.

grizzman
03-07-19, 22:22
No, I anticipated a possible problem and asked the M4C crowd first.

Thanks for all the suggestions. The fixed rear sights from LMT etc. looked serious. I went ahead and got a new Colt takeoff A3 carry handle off a bulletin board. $70 shipped.

Awesome!!

My LE6920 FDEC's FSB isn't F-Marked and it zeroed fine with a Colt A3.

Ohio_Shooter
03-09-19, 12:41

I called Colt Customer Service about this on 3/6/19, and the guy I spoke with said they are the same spec as their previous front sights that were "F" marked and that all of the new sights no longer have the "F" mark.

Bullz
03-09-19, 13:53
I felt compelled to reply to this thread. Personal opinion here:

1) I don't like or recommend using folding sights as a primary sighting solution. If they have a locking feature like the Troy folding sights, I'm okay with it. However, sights like Magpul's offerings with springs or detents should be reserved for backup only. Again, just my opinion. The concern for me is that they may not be fully deployed or may get knocked back to a folded position when I need them. I've seen this happen in training and in competitions.

2) I also use the Troy fixed sight on one rifle and would recommend it.

3) Carry handle with match sights is probably ideal on a rifle without optics. That would give you everything you need for fast and reliable close range target engagement as well as providing a platform that can allow you to reach out to 600+ meters should you want/need to do that.