PDA

View Full Version : Okay Surefeed 10 round magazines

jec1521
03-06-19, 16:05
Anyone have any experience with these? I am behind enemy lines in NJ so I need 10 round mags. I am going to pick up riveted 10/30 Okay mags and 10/30 riveted Pmags eventually, but I want to get some standard 10 rounders for the range first since they are much cheaper.

How do these compare to the 10 round pmags? I just hate how the pmag 10 barely sticks out of the magazine well, and it looks like these surefeed ones have a little extension to them. The other option is pmag 10 rounders with a ranger plate but that adds to cost also.

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/okay-surefeed-ar-15-223-rem-5-56-10-round-magazine.html

Stickman
03-06-19, 18:01
Anyone have any experience with these? I am behind enemy lines in NJ so I need 10 round mags. I am going to pick up riveted 10/30 Okay mags and 10/30 riveted Pmags eventually, but I want to get some standard 10 rounders for the range first since they are much cheaper.

How do these compare to the 10 round pmags? I just hate how the pmag 10 barely sticks out of the magazine well, and it looks like these surefeed ones have a little extension to them. The other option is pmag 10 rounders with a ranger plate but that adds to cost also.

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/okay-surefeed-ar-15-223-rem-5-56-10-round-magazine.html

Each magazine I've used from Surefeed has been totally GTG. I wouldn't worry about them.

SteveS
03-07-19, 08:31
I have ten round mags I am not sure of the exact mfg but they are from a major company .The 10 round mags are really nice to have for target and bench rest type of use .

Circle_10
03-07-19, 17:26
I've never used their 10rounders, but I use Okay 30s fairly often, and their 20 rounders very very often. They are good mags. I can't imagine the 10s being any different.

That being said, I have a few Magpul 10 rounders, and *if* I were limited to ten rounds those are what I would use. No complaints with mine at all (probably because nobody told me they were all I were allowed to have.)
Riveted or blocked "10/30"s and extensions on floor plates are just more length for no reason.
The only valid reason for a 10/30 that I can conceive of is to have "compliant" mags you can stock up on and use at the range, but can "un-neuter" back to correct capacity at a later date if the law becomes err..."irrelevant" for some reason.

wanderson
03-07-19, 18:03
Try the Magpul Ranger plates for GI mags. Not the PMAG version, the GI version.
That’s what I run on my CPD 7.62x39 10 rounders and some of my GI straight 20s.

jec1521
03-07-19, 18:46
I have ten round mags I am not sure of the exact mfg but they are from a major company .The 10 round mags are really nice to have for target and bench rest type of use .

Any reason why you would pick the pmag 10 rounders over a USGI style 10 rounder?

I am thinking maybe a 10/20 pinned/blocked pmag is a nice in between. Big enough not to look stupid yet not so big where most of it is empty.

grizzlyblake
03-07-19, 20:30
Why do to want bigger mags if you aren't gaining capacity? Especially for carrying reloads. You're literally wasting space.

The 10 Rd Pmags look much easier to handle and you could just keep a handful in a dump pouch for reloads.

jsbhike
03-07-19, 21:10
Any reason why you would pick the pmag 10 rounders over a USGI style 10 rounder?

I am thinking maybe a 10/20 pinned/blocked pmag is a nice in between. Big enough not to look stupid yet not so big where most of it is empty.

I picked up a 10rds PMAG last deer season (10rds limit) when my pre-2004 Armalite 10rds(looked like a 20) started screwing up.

Does look odd, but as others have pointed out a longer tube is just extra stuff hanging there for no gain.

As far as PMAG in general goes, I do like aluminum mags, but as was pointed out on Inrange a PMAG is usually working perfectly or obviously visually broke in terms of feed lips versus slight deformities in metal lips. They are also effectively dehorned versus metal magazines.

Zirk208
03-07-19, 21:36

I use the 10 round Pmags at the range, especially with new shooters or younger shooters. When they get the itch to start shooting really fast, it limits waste when they run out that much quicker.
I also used a 10 round mag for hunting. Not for any restrictions, I just didn't need 30 rounds and since they sit relatively flush, it's one less thing to hang/snag on stuff.

flenna
03-08-19, 08:58
Each magazine I've used from Surefeed has been totally GTG. I wouldn't worry about them.

This. You cannot go wrong with Surefeed.

AndyLate
03-08-19, 09:52
I have a handful of 10 round P-Mags. I like them for hunting and for general shooting because they are compact, lightweight, and disassemble/reassemble just like the normal capacity P-Mags.

I installed the 5 round limiter in 3 of them only to find that the covers no longer fit on top of a loaded mag, and it's difficult/impossible to insert a loaded mag with the bolt closed. I have to trim the legs on the spacers, but it suprised me because usually the MagPul stuff is so well designed.

jec1521
03-08-19, 13:20
Interesting. Maybe Ill pick up a couple pmag 10 rounders and a couple surefeed 10 rounders and hold off on the 10/20 or 10/30 magazines for now. I know this forum is not like the other where looks are important but the 10 rounders just look so neutered, especially when it is all I am allowed to have.

AndyLate
03-08-19, 13:30
I remember seeing shooters say they prefer the 10/30s for fumble free mag changes, so its not just asthetics. That makes sense to me, but I have normal capacity magazines for "tactical" shooting.