PDA

View Full Version : used police or new tactical 870?

texasrangers
11-07-08, 12:45
Ok, you guys convinced me to get an 870 and im very appreciative of it. Now, what are the differences between an 870 tactical and an 870 police magnum? I can't buy a new police magnum its just out of my price range but I can get a used one for $450 that looks pretty good except for some scuffing on the barrel. the tactical would be $400 and is new. what would you do in my situation?

Buck
11-07-08, 13:00
Buy the used PD gun...

or a new one for around $100 more... http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=115442929

B

texasrangers
11-07-08, 14:24
Thank you Buck your advice is very much valued I am going to the get the used model as the new one is a bit out of my price range. Just for my knowledge though, what is different about the Tactical model?

Buck
11-07-08, 14:47
The PD guns are assembled on a completely separate production line with better quality parts and tighter QC...

B

SeriousStudent
11-07-08, 18:03
I think you will be very happy with a used 870 Police Magnum. I have been quite pleased with mine. I have put about 300 rounds through it, testing slug and buckshot patterns. It really seems to like the Federal Flite-Control rounds, with the reduced power loads. Mine has the 20 inch tube, with rifled sights.

I have a 870 Express Magnum as a backup, and there is really no comparison. If you have ever driven a really nice car, then been stuck with a cheap rental car at the airport......

Well, it's kind of like that. :D

austinN4
11-07-08, 19:17
The tac guns are simply express models with different clothes - buy the used 870P.

texasrangers
11-08-08, 01:22
so now that i know im getting the 870 P, what should I do to accessorize when i get it? I was thinking ghost ring and front sight, inexpensive sling (under $25) and either a shotshell holder on the stock or something like an ATI shotshell holder on the side and then id also get a 56 round bandolier. does anyone know how much ghost rings and front sight would be? what inexpensive slings can you recommend? thanks

mike benedict
11-08-08, 09:20
I would buy a used 870 wingmaster and cut the barrel off
lots of good wingmasters can be had for less than $175

Dan Goodwin
11-10-08, 06:23
Absolutely check out the used Wingmaster Magnums at area pawn shops. Go with dickering in mind and bring two crisp $100 bills and a $50 or so in another pocket. The 20-in. RS barrels are just fine for defense.

Get a two-point sling and a reliable light. Get an Eagle Industries Patrol Bandolier shotgun model that hold 12 rounds and two pistol mags. Practice. Shoot skeet, wobble trap, go hunting with it (depending on yr state laws take the light off first). A lot.

Do you really need a 6-8 shot shotgun? Five shots from the standard mag will handle most problems and keeps OAW down.

dbrowne1
11-11-08, 07:28
I bought a police trade-in Wingmaster a few years ago that came with a 18" cylinder bore barrel and a ramp front sight. It had some cosmetic wear but was functionally fine and in fact quite smooth. The trigger housing was missing a lot of finish but appeared to be a nice solid piece of aluminum (rather than the plastic on the Express models and the powdered metal-looking metal ones on the newer production Police and Wingmaster guns).

I don't recall what I paid for it exactly but it was somewhere around or under $200.

rodinal220
11-14-08, 16:26
Buy the 870P.As stated above built with better QC and has all forged and milled parts.The 870 Express was Remington's answer to the Mossberg 500.The 870P will be smoother operating to a 870Tactical/Express based gun and I find that to be important on a slide action shotgun.

Surf
11-15-08, 17:14
I would go for the 870P over the tactical, but as mentioned, I might first look for a good Wingmaster.

texasrangers
11-17-08, 21:08
The 870P arrived today. Its got wood which I wasnt sure I would like but now that i can hold it I love it and glad I didnt get synthetic. I cant wait to go shoot it. Planning on getting a blackhawk sling which holds 15 shells and a specter gear buttstock shell holder. Thanks everyone for the advice - I ordered it before everyone told me to look at wingmasters but I got a good deal so it turned out pretty good.

Dan Goodwin
11-18-08, 19:01
Wood is just fine. Might want to cut it to 13-in. LOP or a bit less, then refinish with Tru-Oil or somesuch. Even the utility wood looks premium with an oil finish and it is a good contrast to the parked finish.