PDA

View Full Version : New Beretta 92X: Steel w/ frame mounted safety

1911-A1
03-08-19, 22:05
This is very interesting! I've been hoping they'd make one of these for a long time.

http://www.beretta.com/assets/2/7/MainFCKEditorDimension/92X-PERFORMANCE-call-out.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLSkXYA-Ir8&feature=youtu.be

http://www.beretta.com/en/new-92X-performance/

sndt1319
03-08-19, 22:31
That looks interesting. Too bad it’s only about thirty years behind when most people would be interested in it.

Jsp10477
03-08-19, 22:34
Slick, but I won’t be ditching my SP-01’s for it. Maybe my 75b omega...

The Dumb Gun Collector
03-08-19, 23:37
Holy crap that is awesome. If I like how the safety feels my 92G-sd May get retired

MountainRaven
03-08-19, 23:45
Somebody's gunning for the CZ Shadow 2....

prdubi
03-08-19, 23:56
Want

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

03-09-19, 05:04
Stupid empty wallet.

BrigandTwoFour
03-09-19, 05:24
https://media.giphy.com/media/pVh1XR5azLhiE/giphy.gif

Of course, the next problem will be who is actually going to make a holster for it?

03-09-19, 06:45
Of course, the next problem will be who is actually going to make a holster for it?

Maybe it’ll fit in a Brig Tac holster?

Don Quijote
03-09-19, 06:53
Maybe Stegger will go back to Beretta.....NOT

Sikiguya
03-09-19, 08:11
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190309/71871b1a44c8bce18721eb723575e616.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ron3
03-09-19, 08:13
Steel? Wasn't heavy enough?

Maybe they can develop "steel with lead-filled pockets" to get a few more ounces into it.

The frame safety decocker is great of course.

Bidding will start at $1200.

Esq.
03-09-19, 08:17
Son of a.....I just bought a D model to send off for a frame safety and single action conversion.... this will probably save me money!

Esq.
03-09-19, 08:23
Steel? Wasn't heavy enough?

Maybe they can develop "steel with lead-filled pockets" to get a few more ounces into it.

The frame safety decocker is great of course.

Bidding will start at $1200.

It's sad the state of American manhood. Alvin York weighed 170 pounds and never bitched or whined about carrying an all steel pistol, I hear it worked fairly well too.....

03-09-19, 08:37
It's sad the state of American manhood.

Funny thing is, I was thinking this would be fantastic for the gradual transition in caliber for females I coach up to 9mm. M&P 22c -> Shield EZ -> 92x -> whatever carry appropriate weapon.

Would you believe that some of them show up with a compact or subcompact .40 that some gun counter commando talked them into? And literally no person has taken the time to even show them how to clear or load it?

Of course, I would use it in production and maybe limited, also.

Outlander Systems
03-09-19, 08:56
This is badass. Thanks for the head’s up, OP.

SeriousStudent
03-09-19, 11:58
I may play with one of these. It does look interesting. I have really enjoyed my pizza guns lately.

Of course, I can always buy Greg Bell's after he switches back to his CZ..... :cool:

TheChunkNorris
03-09-19, 12:10
Def want one. My Wilson 92G needs a stablemate.

Talon167
03-09-19, 12:10
Ohhh, this has piqued my interest. It'd be an absolute buy if I didn't already have two P226 SAO pistols (one being a Legion).

Better later than never but boy are they late.

SeriousStudent
03-09-19, 12:16
Anyone found an MSRP yet?

CRAMBONE
03-09-19, 12:32
No threaded barrel?

And I’d be more interested if Beretta hadn’t screwed me out of a factory rebate. Causing me to swear off new Beretta products.

Talon167
03-09-19, 12:37
Anyone found an MSRP yet?

Couple people on the Beretta forum are saying MSRP of 1399. But, I've not seen anything official.

They'd better come close to the CZs and 226 Legion or they're going to lose out for sure.

Sam
03-09-19, 13:57
Of course, I can always buy Greg Bell's after he switches back to his CZ..... :cool:

Nooo, I got dibs ... I already offered him $200 ... I might even throw in a chickfilet sammich.

og556
03-09-19, 13:58
Any idea if this can be carried with hammer cocked and safety engaged? Does the safety de-cock the gun?

Ron3
03-09-19, 14:54
It's sad the state of American manhood. Alvin York weighed 170 pounds and never bitched or whined about carrying an all steel pistol, I hear it worked fairly well too.....

Maybe he did?

A 1911a1 with 7 rds might be lighter than a Beretta 92x with 19 rds. ;)

But really, a lighter gun just handles faster than a heavier one. No?

Don Quijote
03-09-19, 15:38
Maybe he did?

A 1911a1 with 7 rds might be lighter than a Beretta 92x with 19 rds. ;)

But really, a lighter gun just handles faster than a heavier one. No?

If you think this pistol is too heavy you have missed the point of it completely.

The 92X is designed for one thing and one thing only: compete with CZ's Shadow 2 in IPSC and USPSA Production. Light weight is not an asset.

lowprone
03-09-19, 16:03
How very interesting, now if they would just make it in baby shit brown.

SeriousStudent
03-09-19, 16:03
Nooo, I got dibs ... I already offered him $200 ... I might even throw in a chickfilet sammich.

I'll throw in extra waffle fries and a extra box of nuggets. Plus a gallon of sweet tea to take home.

If I can snag one out the door for around 1250, I might just do it.

Firefly
03-09-19, 16:04
......I accept this. I am bypassing the m9a3. Just make it in black

TheChunkNorris
03-09-19, 17:32
......I accept this. I am bypassing the m9a3. Just make it in black

I actually laughed at that. I’m a fan of the slim grip style of the Vertec guns and the M9A3 was one I’ve been looking at for years but never got one especially at the current prices.

Sam
03-09-19, 17:32
I'll throw in extra waffle fries and a extra box of nuggets. Plus a gallon of sweet tea to take home.

If I can snag one out the door for around 1250, I might just do it.

I'm much closer to him, I'd pick it up and he won't have to ship it :)

Ron3
03-09-19, 22:00
If you think this pistol is too heavy you have missed the point of it completely.

The 92X is designed for one thing and one thing only: compete with CZ's Shadow 2 in IPSC and USPSA Production. Light weight is not an asset.

Ah, I see.

Talon167
03-10-19, 08:09
https://i.imgur.com/rO5jeCoh.png

I am still quite interested; looking forward to more information coming out. That being said, silver is my least favorite color of guns.

ETA - What's the black thing near the rear site on the last pic? Some sort of slide manipulating lever or something?

Talon167
03-10-19, 08:14
I'd be willing to bet Wilson and Langdon will get a gaggle of these for further upgrades. I just hope the prices don't get ridiculous.

A 226 SAO Legion can be had near me for ~$1130 and it's a helluva pistol.

sndt1319
03-10-19, 10:49
Talon,

I think it is something to run the slide with since the optic blocks an overhand grip.

556BlackRifle
03-10-19, 10:50
DANG! That's a sweet pistol. I pulled out the 92 yesterday and gave it some love. The whole time, I just kept thinking to myself how much I hate slide mounted safeties. I'm looking forward to trying one.

andre3k
03-10-19, 11:20

The 92X is designed for one thing and one thing only: compete with CZ's Shadow 2 in IPSC and USPSA Production. Light weight is not an asset.Pretty much. I think many are missing what group of shooters this pistol is being marketed for.

03-10-19, 11:32
DANG! That's a sweet pistol. I pulled out the 92 yesterday and gave it some love. The whole time, I just kept thinking to myself how much I hate slide mounted safeties. I'm looking forward to trying one.

G conversion.

MegademiC
03-10-19, 15:24
Dang. If I buy a dedicated gamergun- this will be it.
Stock 92s are already stupid easy to shoot well.

ramairthree
03-10-19, 17:26
I get it as a production gun.
I can buy it in limited -10.

In Limited and open shooting 40/major Beretta mags give up a lot capacity wise to other model same length mags.
Plus while DA/SA can edge out the strikers, it would be going head to head with SA guns.

03-10-19, 18:21

In Limited and open shooting 40/major Beretta mags give up a lot capacity wise to other model same length mags.
Plus while DA/SA can edge out the strikers, it would be going head to head with SA guns.

Very good points, and essentially the reason I shelved my 96A1 Limited project.

MountainRaven
03-10-19, 18:35

This is a SA gun.

556BlackRifle
03-10-19, 18:49
G conversion.

I will. It's on my list of things to do. :)

Don Quijote
03-10-19, 19:29
Pretty much. I think many are missing what group of shooters this pistol is being marketed for.
I can tell who they are by the comments.

Don Quijote
03-10-19, 19:38

It has a manual safety. Start cocked and locked in Limited, hammer down in Production. Us CZ shooters have been doing that for ages.

Don Quijote
03-10-19, 19:38
This is a SA gun.

Nope: http://www.beretta.com/en/92x-performance/

Models
Action Single/Double Single/Double
Barrel length (mm) 125 125
Barrel length (in) 4.9 4.9
Caliber 9x19 (PARA) 9x21
Magazine 15 15
Overall heigth (mm) 148 148
Overall heigth (in) 5.8 5.8
Overall length (mm) 222 222
Overall length (in) 8.7 8.7
Overall width (mm) 48 48
Overall width (in) 1.8 1.8
Weight unloaded (g) 1350 1350
Weight unloaded (OZ) 47.61 47.61

MountainRaven
03-10-19, 20:08
Nope: http://www.beretta.com/en/92x-performance/

Mmkay. SA. Not SAO. But whatever.

The CZs it's competing against aren't SAO, either. (At least not all of them - my Shadow 2 is DA/SA.)

TheChunkNorris
03-10-19, 20:10
Mmkay. SA. Not SAO. But whatever.

The CZs it's competing against aren't SAO, either. (At least not all of them - my Shadow 2 is DA/SA.)

I believe the only ones that were SAO from CZ are TacSports.

The Dumb Gun Collector
03-10-19, 21:21
"Dang. If I buy a dedicated gamergun- this will be it.
Stock 92s are already stupid easy to shoot well."

This^^^

I think this thing will be amazing. I find my B92-G SD to be far smoother and quicker back on target than my old All-steel SP-01 and my buddies shadow. I think this gun will be a frickin' laser.

Univibe
03-10-19, 22:07
Be cool if they made a 10mm.

ramairthree
03-10-19, 23:03
It has a manual safety. Start cocked and locked in Limited, hammer down in Production. Us CZ shooters have been doing that for ages.

Beretta is ten years behind CZ in catering to gun games.

I have only seen DA/SA CZs in production.

I have not seen any in open.

But I’m only swimming in small ponds.

A SA gun won’t fly in production.

Don Quijote
03-11-19, 05:07
Beretta is ten years behind CZ in catering to gun games.

I have only seen DA/SA CZs in production.

I have not seen any in open.

But I’m only swimming in small ponds.

A SA gun won’t fly in production.

I give up. Some people can't grasp the obvious and must argue for its own sake.

ginzomatic
03-11-19, 07:45
this is pretty cool. Wish it would safe in the cocked position though

ginzomatic
03-11-19, 07:45
Be cool if they made a 10mm.

Agreed

prdubi
03-11-19, 07:49
Is it gonna be 1899 like the Billinium..

parishioner
03-11-19, 08:42
MAC seems to be indicating there will be a TDA model as well as a SAO?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190311/93571f6601efed357abdfcb1d5f10921.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

prdubi
03-11-19, 08:47
If it had the aesthetics of the m9 I would make it my forever gun.

Don Quijote
03-11-19, 08:57
MAC seems to be indicating there will be a TDA model as well as a SAO?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190311/93571f6601efed357abdfcb1d5f10921.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The DA/SA is the first one out of the gate. It's the one that appeals to the highest number of IPSC and USPSA competitors.

Don Quijote
03-11-19, 09:00
this is pretty cool. Wish it would safe in the cocked position though

It does. It's obvious by looking at it.

sundance435
03-11-19, 13:07
Why the adjustable trigger? Do similar CZs and other guns in this category have that as a feature? I'm interested in this just to have, but I'd prefer a tuned factory trigger.

Bret
03-11-19, 16:01
Hopefully they’ll carry the frame mounted safety all the way down the line. I probably wouldn’t have bought my first CZ if Berettas had frame mounted safeties.

TheChunkNorris
03-11-19, 17:31
Why the adjustable trigger? Do similar CZs and other guns in this category have that as a feature? I'm interested in this just to have, but I'd prefer a tuned factory trigger.

Hmmmm I known HK Experts do but CZ.

ralph
03-11-19, 18:41
I want to see it first, before I make any judgements on it.. A frame mounted saftey is something they should've never quit making.. Beretta learns slowly, and this is why CZ is about a lightyear ahead of them, they listen to their customers wants, instead of sending them clothing catalogs filled with gay, overpriced clothing, like Beretta does...

Don Quijote
03-11-19, 18:53
Because, for the thousandth time, these are competition pistols. Competitors like to be able to tune their triggers to their liking, and if they can do it themselves with some simple tools so much the better.

If you're asking you're probably not the target customer.

Don Quijote
03-11-19, 18:55
I want to see it first, before I make any judgements on it.. A frame mounted saftey is something they should've never quit making.. Beretta learns slowly, and this is why CZ is about a lightyear ahead of them, they listen to their customers wants, instead of sending them clothing catalogs filled with gay, overpriced clothing, like Beretta does...

Beretta should have made the Production version of the gun with a G decocker. A manual safety on a Production gun is about as useful as tits on a boar.

Coal Dragger
03-11-19, 19:00
A manual safety on any DA/SA Beretta 92 is about as useful as tire on a boat.

The G model should be the defacto standard, not the FS.

hotrodder636
03-11-19, 19:20
Great. Just what I needed. Another Beretta I don’t need but want. I picked up 3 last year alone...

titsonritz
03-11-19, 20:58
Shit, I've been wanting to buy a Beretta and was torn between the M9A3 and a Wilson Brig Tac now I have a third choice to drool over. :shout:

It does look nice.

Don Quijote
03-11-19, 21:00

On the money ^

Actually that goes for any DA/SA pistol no matter who makes it

RHINOWSO
03-11-19, 21:06

Yeah, but dudes want manual safeties on striker fired guns, on DAO / LEM guns, so it makes sense that they'll get them on DA/SA guns.

I don't understand it but it is what it is.

ralph
03-11-19, 21:48
Beretta should have made the Production version of the gun with a G decocker. A manual safety on a Production gun is about as useful as tits on a boar.

But then again, how many manual saftey guns does CZ make.. Shadow,Shadow2 SP01, dosen't seem to be a problem. They could I suppose, make the manual saftey a decocker.. Dosen't really matter, though, no matter what Beretta makes, nobody is going to be happy.. And that's pretty much it in a nutshell..

Coal Dragger
03-12-19, 00:35
Sure and 99% of those same dudes who want that shit might shoot 100 rounds a year, and never venture past the 5 yard line. So their opinions are invalid, at least they should be.

Don Quijote
03-12-19, 03:57
But then again, how many manual saftey guns does CZ make.. Shadow,Shadow2 SP01, dosen't seem to be a problem. They could I suppose, make the manual saftey a decocker.. Dosen't really matter, though, no matter what Beretta makes, nobody is going to be happy.. And that's pretty much it in a nutshell..

There's a myth that CZ decocker guns can't have as nice a trigger pull as those with a safety. That is false. On top of that, CZ D models start the DA pull from half cock and it makes a noticeable difference to trigger reach and pull weight.

I do agree with your overall conclusion.

Don Quijote
03-12-19, 03:57
Sure and 99% of those same dudes who want that shit might shoot 100 rounds a year, and never venture past the 5 yard line. So their opinions are invalid, at least they should be.

Batting 1000 so far

ramairthree
03-12-19, 13:37
I give up. Some people can't grasp the obvious and must argue for its own sake.

At the time of the announcement, it was not clear to me the Production version was DA/SA,
And the Limited and Open version is SAO.

I thought they were putting out DA/SA guns for limited and open.

The Limited and Open versions, even if they have a fantastic SA trigger, based on beretta mag volume to length characteristics, are going to have less capacity than their competition. Especially in 40 to make major. So, other than limited ten, I don’t see them having much of a market outside of production.

In IDPA, vs USPSA, it weighs too much. I guess that is hard to nail down. There are plenty of just under the weight 75/SP variants for SSP/ESP, but their flagship is over as well.

For new shooters, the biggest complaint from going to CZ is no decocker. They are not comfortable lowering the hammer.

What is the obvious to grasp you are mentioning?

Coal Dragger
03-12-19, 13:49
On topic I would love this or a Langdon LTT gun, but I’m hesitant to go that route because I’m 40 now and I know that at some point in the near future it’s going to be tough making out iron sights. I have worn corrective lenses since middle school, and bifocals are probably in my future now sooner than later. My dad went through a 15 year period where he couldn’t make out iron sights, then his eyes changed again and he can again.

Unfortunately the Beretta 92 is not a good platform for a slide mounted optic, and that is the route I’m headed next so I can enjoy handgun shooting well into the future. I’m never going to be satisfied with being a 5 yard tard, not after being a competitive bullseye shooter.

ramairthree
03-12-19, 13:50

Well, some of that is the consumer. People make comments like- that there safety should be on the frame and I want to carry cocked and locked- which has absolutely nothing to do with anything when trying to make a premiere production gun.

Other parts of it are straight up a problem with beretta. The platform has inherent limiting factors that preclude it from being a seriously competitive option in limited and open. Yet they seem to have put a lot of effort into making these options. They have made a few odd styling and design choices jacking up holster compatibility, etc. And chose the frame/grip least popular among the majority of beretta users. The scalloped rear radius version of the classic M9 grip made a significant improvement in fit for many hands, as do thinner type grip panels.

Right now the best off the shelf production beretta is the LTT Elite. And it is better than the old elites. Making that frame in steel and putting it at a weight on par with the shadow, and keeping the same decocker would likely have made it more attractive to current shooters using a 92 variant, and attracting those newer shooters who shy at CZ because of no decocker.

Regardless, I am going to buy one.

But it does smack of the typically beretta slight oddities that serve to decrease its market share and sales instead of increase its popularity.

Edit-
To clarify, my first instruction for competive shooting was in the 80s, my first matches were in the 90s, old school nobody had a chronograph and I thought my 9x21 barrel and Comp put me at major. I have done a ton of matches. But after my son left for college a few years ago, and two local places stopped having marches, I have not done one for a few years. My most recent Comp experience was basically only a few of us still shooting DA/SA metal guns in production, , most rocking striker fired, and just on the edge of the DA/SA resurgence- but no off the shelf beretta options and CZ stepping in tomown that niche. So, my opinions may be a couple of years out of date.

ralph
03-13-19, 17:19
There's a myth that CZ decocker guns can't have as nice a trigger pull as those with a safety. That is false. On top of that, CZ D models start the DA pull from half cock and it makes a noticeable difference to trigger reach and pull weight.

I do agree with your overall conclusion.

I know the decocker CZ's can have a nice trigger..I own one.. a CZ SP01 Tactical bought used for $400, looks brand new..I installed a extended firing pin, and spring from CGW, and changed 3 other springs..trigger return spring, firing pin saftey block spring, and the hammer spring..The results were stunning.. the trigger is smooth, and feels as if it's internals have been polished, but as far as I can tell the pistol has never been taken apart.. The sights are poa/poi, it's a very easy pistol to shoot well.

L84Cabp
03-19-19, 02:09
Has anyone been able to verify that the safety is also a DECOCKER? Beretta doesn't list it as a safety/decocker, they're only calling it a safety...at least in the literature that I've seen so far.

Would it be odd to make a SA/DA gun and NOT have a decocker? Because this is being billed as a competition gun. And if it's a SA/DA gun, then shooters need to start the match with the hammer down, right? And if there's no decocker, that makes lowering the hammer a somewhat risky proposition.

Bret
03-19-19, 08:17
And if it's a SA/DA gun, then shooters need to start the match with the hammer down, right? And if there's no decocker, that makes lowering the hammer a somewhat risky proposition.
If it's simply a manual safety, then it would be the same as a regular CZ75 and its clones. While they are technically DA, they're effectively SA for the reason you pointed out. Some people do like to thumb down the hammers on CZ75 to put the pistol in DA mode. However, once that is done the manual safety can't be engaged. If someone wants a CZ75 that's DA on the first trigger pull, they make a BD version that has a decocker instead of a manual safety. Interestingly, most of the CZ75 clones have manual safeties that can be engaged if the hammer is thumbed down (which requires pulling the trigger). I seriously doubt that any competition organization would require participants to thumb down a safety.

clb
03-19-19, 08:50
At the time of the announcement, it was not clear to me the Production version was DA/SA,
And the Limited and Open version is SAO.

I thought they were putting out DA/SA guns for limited and open.

The Limited and Open versions, even if they have a fantastic SA trigger, based on beretta mag volume to length characteristics, are going to have less capacity than their competition. Especially in 40 to make major. So, other than limited ten, I don’t see them having much of a market outside of production.

In IDPA, vs USPSA, it weighs too much. I guess that is hard to nail down. There are plenty of just under the weight 75/SP variants for SSP/ESP, but their flagship is over as well.

For new shooters, the biggest complaint from going to CZ is no decocker. They are not comfortable lowering the hammer.

What is the obvious to grasp you are mentioning?

I am not overly familiar with IPSC rules on divisions, but my guess would be the "Limited" package is being marketed worldwide to IPSC shooters, not USPSA shooters.

clb
03-19-19, 08:57
If it's simply a manual safety, then it would be the same as a regular CZ75 and its clones. While they are technically DA, they're effectively SA for the reason you pointed out. Some people do like to thumb down the hammers on CZ75 to put the pistol in DA mode. However, once that is done the manual safety can't be engaged. If someone wants a CZ75 that's DA on the first trigger pull, they make a BD version that has a decocker instead of a manual safety. Interestingly, most of the CZ75 clones have manual safeties that can be engaged if the hammer is thumbed down (which requires pulling the trigger). I seriously doubt that any competition organization would require participants to thumb down a safety.

USPSA Production division requires a DA start on DA pistols. Thumbing down CZ hammer is routine. Yes, you can AD. Shooters are disqualified every once in a while for it. It is generally not that big of a deal to do though. As you make ready for the stage, put the mental focus into it and it's no problem.

Bret
03-19-19, 10:33
USPSA Production division requires a DA start on DA pistols. Thumbing down CZ hammer is routine. Yes, you can AD. Shooters are disqualified every once in a while for it. It is generally not that big of a deal to do though. As you make ready for the stage, put the mental focus into it and it's no problem.
Interesting. So a shooter is allowed to start with the safety off on a manual safety pistol?

clb
03-19-19, 10:59
Interesting. So a shooter is allowed to start with the safety off on a manual safety pistol?

Yes, if it is a double action pistol. If single action, safety must be engaged. Single action start is not legal in USPSA production division. It is in Single Stack, Limited, and Open divisions. SAO is not legal in Production.

Beretta's can be decocked and safety not engaged. CZ pistol's safeties cannot be engaged in DA mode without damaging the safety.

The 92X is completely intended be a competition pistol. Once approved on the USPSA production list, there will be shooters that want to try them. They are heavier than the Shadow II, which should make them one of the softest shooting production pistols made. The take down lever has the thumb rest built into it, so I am guessing it will be production legal because it is a "takedown lever", not a thumb rest by design.

If it comes in with a street price in the area of $1500.00, it will probably sell well to the competition market. That is the avg price point for a well built CZ Custom or Cajun CZ.

ramairthree
03-19-19, 11:06

Most hardcore competitive Production shooters are using the non decocker CZs.
Off the shelf that version of the DA/SA trigger is better than their decocker version. It is easier on the safety only version to refine the trigger to its maximum potential, although the decocker version as noted can be near rivaling it with more work. Just as the decocker DA/SA 92 can be brought to far better than stock M9 off the shelf.

The CZ shooters simply lower the hammer as they must start hammer down in production.

Keep in mind many of these guns are refined to a level that like 99.5% of people don’t have the skill to benefit from.

I can pull out my 92Ds and show you on the clock on on scores how much slower and less accurate it makes me compared to a stock 92G or FS.

The difference between a stock 92G and D spring honed one for me is a very slight improvement in accuracy and no speed benefit.

While I enjoy one of my guns with a Langdon worked trigger and my LTT,
I am not skilled enough for it to improve my times, splits, accuracy, etc. over a well used D spring equipped gun.

Bret
03-19-19, 11:08
If it comes in with a street price in the area of $1500.00, it will probably sell well to the competition market.
Dang. That's what I paid for my Centennial. It seems high to me, but I don't shoot in the competition market. It would be nice if they'd just offer a regular frame mounted safety 92.

clb
03-19-19, 11:27
I shoot 1 of my 2 CZ Accushadows in production. Both have about a 6.5lb double action pull, and about a 3lb single action. The trigger does not help me shoot splits any faster than any other gun. It does help on the draw to first shot. I don't even really notice the double action pull. The single action helps a little on shots that need to be more accurate, such as partials and around no shoots.

I don't know anyone shooting an off the shelf CZ trigger in competition, at least not competitively . Most are CZ Custom or Cajun, Or at least a lot of polishing and different springs.

I would expect this Beretta to have a comparable trigger out of the box to the custom CZ triggers.

MountainRaven
03-19-19, 12:58
Has anyone been able to verify that the safety is also a DECOCKER? Beretta doesn't list it as a safety/decocker, they're only calling it a safety...at least in the literature that I've seen so far.

Would it be odd to make a SA/DA gun and NOT have a decocker? Because this is being billed as a competition gun. And if it's a SA/DA gun, then shooters need to start the match with the hammer down, right? And if there's no decocker, that makes lowering the hammer a somewhat risky proposition.

Would it be unusual for a DA/SA pistol to not have a decocker in the 1980s? Yes.

Would it be unusual for a DA/SA pistol to not have a decocker in the 1970s? No.

The original Beretta 92s, IIRC, had frame mounted safeties and no decocker. The decocking function was added to the Taurus PT92s some years after Beretta sold them the machine they had built the Brazilian guns on.

thegreyman
03-20-19, 18:51
I WANT ONE.

Don Quijote
03-21-19, 04:13

There is no decocker on the 92X. If you want to or have to start DA, you lower the hammer manually like it's done hundreds of thousands of times a year the world over in IPSC, USPSA and IDPA matches by shooters using most variants of the CZ 75. There's the right way (which will never lead to an ND) and the wrong way (which can) to do decock manually.

This pistol was made with one purpose and one purpose only: be competitive in IPSC/USPSA Production division and IPSC/USPSA Standard/Limited divisions. In order to be so, it needs to have the lockwork that it has.

The concerns of tactical timmies were not anywhere near the minds of the Beretta engineers and managers who ran the project.

Don Quijote
03-21-19, 04:20
I am not overly familiar with IPSC rules on divisions, but my guess would be the "Limited" package is being marketed worldwide to IPSC shooters, not USPSA shooters.

IPSC Standard = USPSA Limited (close enough)

Don Quijote
03-21-19, 04:23
It is easier on the safety only version to refine the trigger to its maximum potential, although the decocker version as noted can be near rivaling it with more work.

Just curious but have you done trigger jobs on both kinds of CZs? I have and the decocker version is no harder to tune than the manual safety version. It's a little more difficult to take apart and put together the first time you do it, but it ain't any harder to clean up.

And a BD trigger will not be almost as good when one is done. It will be just as good including SA reset with the CGW parts available.

But this internet myth gets repeated often enough that it takes on the air of truth.

clb
03-21-19, 07:36
IPSC Standard = USPSA Limited (close enough)

I've always assumed that much, but do they treat Major/Minor the same way?

clb
03-21-19, 07:38
Just curious but have you done trigger jobs on both kinds of CZs? I have and the decocker version is no harder to tune than the manual safety version. It's a little more difficult to take apart and put together the first time you do it, but it ain't any harder to clean up.

And a BD trigger will not be almost as good when one is done. It will be just as good including SA reset with the CGW parts available.

But this internet myth gets repeated often enough that it takes on the air of truth.

I have shot friends decock variants with Cajun triggers in them that are at least as good, maybe even just a touch better, than my Accushadow triggers.

Don Quijote
03-21-19, 08:00
do they treat Major/Minor the same way?
In terms of scoring? Yes.

Bret
03-21-19, 09:00
The concerns of tactical timmies were not anywhere near the minds of the Beretta engineers and managers who ran the project.
Project? It looks to me to be the same frame mounted manual safety that Beretta's made for decades, but chose only to sell in their high cost special edition pistols.
http://www.beretta.com/assets/2/7/MainFCKEditorDimension/92X-PERFORMANCE-call-out.jpg
http://www.berettaweb.com/Billennium/Bille-l-sx.gif
http://www.berettaweb.com/Billennium/Beretta%2092%20Billennium.htm

clb
03-21-19, 09:01
In terms of scoring? Yes.

In terms of power factor. Is 9mm still a minor round in IPSC? Guess I could just look it up myself too.

Don Quijote
03-21-19, 11:59
In terms of power factor. Is 9mm still a minor round in IPSC? Guess I could just look it up myself too.
I had to look it up. You can run 9 mm major in IPSC Open and Revolver but need a bullet diameter of 10 mm or more for major in Standard and Classic

USPSA allows 9 mm major in Open and Revolver, but allows 357 SIG as an option to make major in Limited and Single Stack

Don Quijote
03-21-19, 12:00
Project? It looks to me to be the same frame mounted manual safety that Beretta's made for decades, but chose only to sell in their high cost special edition pistols.
http://www.berettaweb.com/Billennium/Bille-l-sx.gif
http://www.berettaweb.com/Billennium/Beretta%2092%20Billennium.htm

The whole pistol was designed as a practical pistol competition firearm despite its resemblance (and reuse of some components) to Berettas of the past.

clb
03-21-19, 13:11
I had to look it up. You can run 9 mm major in IPSC Open and Revolver but need a bullet diameter of 10 mm or more for major in Standard and Classic

USPSA allows 9 mm major in Open and Revolver, but allows 357 SIG as an option to make major in Limited and Single Stack

USPSA I'm good on, just didn't know where IPSC rules stood. Thanks for the clarification.

I wasn't sure if IPSC standard had different rules as to min caliber to make a certain power factor, or if the power factors for major/minor were different than USPSA. Makes me wonder if they will offer a .40 version of this, at least in the Limited/Standard version. They would definitely need to up the magazine capacity on the .40 to be a competitive seller. Don't know that I would buy that gun for limited anyway. I would consider one for production though.

Don Quijote
03-21-19, 13:27
USPSA I'm good on, just didn't know where IPSC rules stood. Thanks for the clarification.

I wasn't sure if IPSC standard had different rules as to min caliber to make a certain power factor, or if the power factors for major/minor were different than USPSA. Makes me wonder if they will offer a .40 version of this, at least in the Limited/Standard version. They would definitely need to up the magazine capacity on the .40 to be a competitive seller. Don't know that I would buy that gun for limited anyway. I would consider one for production though.

Kinda agree with everything you say. Unless they add a .40 (which would be easy) this thing is not really a good idea in Limited. It should give the Shadow 2 run for its money in Production tho.

clb
03-21-19, 13:35
Kinda agree with everything you say. Unless they add a .40 (which would be easy) this thing is not really a good idea in Limited. It should give the Shadow 2 run for its money in Production tho.

Absolutely. I think it is funny how these manufacturers are coming up with these guns that completely push the limits of the division rules, and that they are putting this much into developing guns to go after the competition market. I love it, don't get me wrong, but competition shooters really are like 1% of the 1% of gun buyers.

Years ago FN was making a push on the 3 gun market. They wanted to be THE manufacturer for 3 gun nation. Big surprise, but it didn't work. It didn't really grow their sales. I understand Beretta isn't exactly doing that, but this gun is all about action competition.

nick84
03-21-19, 19:45
I actually laughed at that. I’m a fan of the slim grip style of the Vertec guns and the M9A3 was one I’ve been looking at for years but never got one especially at the current prices.

I've been getting emails from a certain website selling the M9A3 black for under 800. It's a great shooter too, I love mine. I'd post where, but I'm not sure on the rules for that here. Try checking around a bit if you're after one.

Esq.
03-21-19, 19:52
Cant wait to see one, I'd buy it to carry on the street.

TheChunkNorris
03-21-19, 20:19
I've been getting emails from a certain website selling the M9A3 black for under 800. It's a great shooter too, I love mine. I'd post where, but I'm not sure on the rules for that here. Try checking around a bit if you're after one.

Thanks for the heads up and I’ll def take a look.

clb
03-22-19, 15:07
Looks like MSRP is going to be $1400, official US release at NRA show.

Esq.
03-22-19, 15:13
Looks like MSRP is going to be $1400, official US release at NRA show.

Guess on a Street Price?

Bret
03-22-19, 15:30
Sure. At first $1400, then it will fall in to the $1000 to $1100 range.

clb
03-22-19, 15:45
Guess on a Street Price?

Not really yet. I would guess around 1200.00, but Beretta USA hasn't given any costs out to distributors yet, so it is tough to say until that info is out.

clb
03-22-19, 15:46
Sure. At first $1400, then it will fall in to the $1000 to $1100 range.

I doubt that MSRP will change. Street price is a whole different conversation tho.

Esq.
03-22-19, 15:57
I would be a buyer at $1000-1100...More than that and I will have to wait and find a used one....and comfort myself with my Wilsons and Langdon guns.....

Bret
03-22-19, 16:01
I doubt that MSRP will change. Street price is a whole different conversation tho.
I not saying that MSRP will change. I saying it will start out selling at MSRP ($1400) and then fall to $1000 to $1100.

Don Quijote
03-22-19, 18:02
Not really yet. I would guess around 1200.00,

That'd be my guess based on what Shadow 2s are going for

Talon167
03-23-19, 17:39
Doesn't look like any sort of preorders yet, but they're showing up on websites which is a good sign:

$1298:
https://scpropertyprotectionservices.com/product/beretta-92x-performance-9mm-2/

$1399 (will surely be cheaper when they're in stock):
https://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=BEJ92XR21

Don Quijote
03-25-19, 06:50
Just looking at Shadow 2s in gunbroker, the 92X needs to retail for $1100 average to be competitive. Otherwise it will appeal to Beretta fanboys and no one else. I'm sure it's an excellent pistol but it's not a quantum leap over CZ.

clb
03-25-19, 07:24
I not saying that MSRP will change. I saying it will start out selling at MSRP ($1400) and then fall to $1000 to $1100.

I misunderstood what you were saying. I think you're about right on where it will end up, but I will have to see wholesale cost before I can venture a better guestimate.