PDA

View Full Version : Entire barrel dimpled

dperdue
03-10-19, 09:28
Sorry if this has been asked before, but nothing turned up in my search. While doing some research a while back, I stumbled upon a picture of a barrel that was covered in dimples. What purpose does this really serve? I don’t imagine you would save a lot of weight. Am I missing something? Is it done for aesthetics only? Is there a down side to having this done, if it’s done correctly? Is it possible that it’s similar to fluting, where there are arguments both for and against it?

docsherm
03-10-19, 09:47
Sorry if this has been asked before, but nothing turned up in my search. While doing some research a while back, I stumbled upon a picture of a barrel that was covered in dimples. What purpose does this really serve? I don’t imagine you would save a lot of weight. Am I missing something? Is it done for aesthetics only? Is there a down side to having this done, if it’s done correctly? Is it possible that it’s similar to fluting, where there are arguments both for and against it?

It does cut weight on a barrel. But the main advantage is that it almost triples the surface area of the barrel. This greatly increases cooling and keeps it from getting really hot. If you can reduce the heat then you reduce all of the issues related to barrels heating up.

And it makes it look like a golf ball, so that is kind of cool. ;)

Firefly
03-10-19, 09:53
I dunno about ENTIRE barrel but if you have a precision SR25/AR10; this is a good thing.

I got a fat barrel for my M110K1 and dimpling didnt make it like super lighter but it does cool quicker and being fat it kinda takes a minute to get hot anyways.

Fluting is state of early 2000s art.

Dimple Masterrace

dperdue
03-10-19, 10:11
It makes perfect sense that the increase in surface area would aid in cooling.

markm
03-10-19, 11:49
What purpose does this really serve?

Absolutely no purpose to it.

CCK
03-10-19, 11:53

he's right, the only worthwhile barrel alteration is LWRC's fluting. Right Mark?

Firefly
03-10-19, 11:58
Lol fluting....

03-10-19, 12:08

I’ve only seen it on KAC rifles; do they not normally go for function over form?

03-10-19, 15:24

I'm gonna go with this.

Improved cooling due to increased surface area is just about purely hypothetical.

TXBK
03-10-19, 15:45
The only benefit that I know for sure is that it looks good and decreases weight.

http://i.imgur.com/7XzLPNN.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Cz2Ono2.jpg

docsherm
03-10-19, 15:51

Really? So I take it you think science is some time of fad that will pass?

I just said that it increases surface area, and doing that it will allow for faster cooling.

docsherm
03-10-19, 15:52
he's right, the only worthwhile barrel alteration is LWRC's fluting. Right Mark?

LOLOLOLOL that is epic. Well played sir, well played indeed.

Eurodriver
03-10-19, 16:28
Dimpling nets out to zero.

It increases the surface area and reduces mass so the barrel cools faster, but you turn into a Texan.

Idk about you but I’m not tryna die at the Alamo.

mack7.62
03-10-19, 17:00

Yep KAC just did it cause ??? :p

Stickman
03-10-19, 17:37
Last I knew, cooling happened through surface area... but, I'm guy who runs around with a gun for a living, plays with cameras, and does some writing.

I'm much more likely to deal in thermobaric than I am thermodynamic.

RobertTheTexan
03-10-19, 18:13

Doc is spot on. However, if you want to know what dimpling does from one of the best, call Marvin Pitts, he dimpled a heavy profile barrel, and yes it did lose weight. This those who say it doesn’t, well they’ve never dimpled an bull barrel. However if you want to know the real deal, you should call the best barrel master I know. Marvin Pitts (479) 559-2184 Email: nefariousarms@live.com. In my opinion which is based on his work, he is one of the best. Used to be one of the main dudes st KAC. He knows a thing or two about barrels. He or Beth will answer all your questions.

Marvin did this barrel for me. This was from a CMMG that a friend had me “remodel” for him and barrel dimpling was part of that. A way to reduce weight without affecting accuracy which reprofiling could have done. Again, this is not my rifle, but an example of Marvin’s work.

https://i.postimg.cc/L4VwWkSw/8-FCF3374-BFE1-49-D7-8718-4-BA06-CE3-BBB0.jpg

Hkbeltfed
03-10-19, 18:49
Dimpling is an alternative to fluting. A fluted/dimpled barrel of the same length/mass as a standard barrel will be more rigid due to its larger diameter. That said, if one takes two identical barrels and flutes or dimples one of them will make it less rigid (and it will have less mass).

docsherm
03-11-19, 10:29
Dimpling nets out to zero.

It increases the surface area and reduces mass so the barrel cools faster, but you turn into a Texan.

Idk about you but I’m not tryna die at the Alamo.

Nope, My family slayed at San Jacinto..........