PDA

View Full Version : The Trinidad/Tobago trip

Travelingchild
03-11-19, 17:06
So on a whim last Monday March 4, I booked a trip to Tobago for 10 days, intending to air b&b on an anchored 48 foot sailboat in my Irving bay, all to myself

20 years of living in jackson hole wyoming and dealing with snow, told myself “ I need a beach”.

Plane ride unevenful 7am till 1am wheels down in Tobago , Trick I found useful buy a couple small toys in case your next to a fitfully child , wave it at kid and let them have it, with parents permission it quiets them down fast. Everyone will thank you.

Got to boat, 2 nights into it went to shore to a postcarnival party, didn’t stay long had to row dory 10 minutes to boat in pitch blackness

Next day. Hello head or can I make it topside, wtf did I eat? Food poisoning or allergic reaction!

Saturday managed to row to shore barely steady offshore breeze, met hostess told her didn’t feel safe on boat alone in my condtion , I could barely drag dory above high tide mark

She helped me find land accomodations

To be continued

Travelingchild
03-11-19, 17:48
So after spending a night on shore started feeling better, hadn’t eaten since that night 3 days no food just water, hard to keep anything down when your sick and on a rolling sailboat, hostess & boyfriend took me on a tour of the island by car, total jungle on one side opened up to old cultivated sugar plantations on the other, beautiful country . People were nice & friendly, did get referred to as a “white boy” by a street food guy, he didn’t think I heard him.. I found that hysterically funny as I’m part flip & portugues generations back. I been called a lot of things in 56 years but never that lol.

Firefly would have been in paradise with some of the women...

GH41
03-11-19, 18:27
So after spending a night on shore started feeling better, hadn’t eaten since that night 3 days no food just water, hard to keep anything down when your sick and on a rolling sailboat, hostess & boyfriend took me on a tour of the island by car, total jungle on one side opened up to old cultivated sugar plantations on the other, beautiful country . People were nice & friendly, did get referred to as a “white boy” by a street food guy, he didn’t think I heard him.. I found that hysterically funny as I’m part flip & portugues generations back. I been called a lot of things in 56 years but never that lol.

Firefly would have been in paradise with some of the women...

My only question... Are you a white boy or not? Maybe a second question... Why the hell did you rent an anchored boat if your stomach couldn't take the motion??

Travelingchild
03-11-19, 19:06
My only question... Are you a white boy or not? if your asking me that ethnicity such as on a 4473 yes, as one set of grandparents were from the Portuguese Azoras, but I’m also a Pacific Islander/Asian, Technically I’m an Atlantic / Pacific Islander who was born on a now closed US military base in France who was raised white in a redneck town in the Midwest. Point being I don’t “LOOK” white , in ca. I’m seen as Latino, in Hawaii I’m seen as Hawaiian, in Bali people asked me for directions, Hell in wyoming I’ve had local Indians ask me what Res I was from..

Travelingchild
03-11-19, 19:18
Why the hell did you rent an anchored boat if your stomach couldn't take the motion??

I don’t get motion sickness, not skydiving flying to altitude in every jump plane around with no doors on, flying in helicopters leaning out taking photos, being the test dummy for pilots learning to short haul, riding in various boats of all shapes & sizes,I’ve overnighted on boats before find it restful.

If u noticed my first post I came down with food poisoning, the only reason I came to shore was I didn’t feel safe on the boat in my weakened state as I was alone

Whiskey_Bravo
03-13-19, 10:17
My only question... Are you a white boy or not? Maybe a second question... Why the hell did you rent an anchored boat if your stomach couldn't take the motion??

Not sure how either of your questions matter. What difference does his ethnicity make? There are plenty of "white boys" sailing all over the world and in his first post he said he left the boat due to having food poisoning so he didn't feel safe on the boat by himself barely being able to keep food or water down.

Adrenaline_6
03-13-19, 11:45
Point being I don’t “LOOK” white , in ca. I’m seen as Latino, in Hawaii I’m seen as Hawaiian, in Bali people asked me for directions, Hell in wyoming I’ve had local Indians ask me what Res I was from..

Ah, the ubiquitous look. I fall in the same category. In Florida I get talked to in Spanish all the time. I am not Hispanic, and I get the surprised look when I don't understand what they are saying. I am half euro mix (English, Irish, Portuguese) and the other half a mix of Hawaiian, Chinese, and Japanese. I had a cop mark me as white on a traffic ticket I got a long while back. It doesn't bother me, I just go with it and blend in.

Travelingchild
03-15-19, 17:19
... It doesn't bother me, I just go with it and blend in...Me either, just found the whole thing funny, the ultimate grey man.LOL

As it turns out down there according to another local "white boy" depending on the context is a derogatory local slang referring to to someone who is not a local., Similar to the use of "mainlander or Haole" on the Islands, it has nothing to do with ethnicity..

Enough of that nonsense, view from boat

https://i.imgur.com/g9k8MEu.jpg

Travelingchild
03-15-19, 17:23
https://i.imgur.com/3SKKDx6.jpg

Different bay, as seen from Drive around Tobago..

Travelingchild
03-15-19, 17:26
The boat I was on from the beach center...

https://i.imgur.com/Hlwiljr.jpg

gaijin
03-15-19, 18:17
Looks like heaven.

We used to spend a couple weeks each February on Roatan. A needed, welcome break from Winter.

Vegas
03-15-19, 18:26
https://i.imgur.com/3SKKDx6.jpg

Different bay, as seen from Drive around Tobago..

I spent a bit of time in Tobago back in the late 90’s. It was very uncommercialized back then. The pic of above looks like a beach I used to go to. I remember there being an elementary school right by it.

The other place I loved was Pigeon Point. I need to go back!

Travelingchild
03-15-19, 19:27
... The pic of above looks like a beach I used to go to. I remember there being an elementary school right by it.

... I need to go back!
If i recall the blue building is a school...
the exchange rate is in your favor best exchange rate $1us = $7 TTD at the the airport, Boat cost me $540ish US for 10 days, was by myself but there was a Master, Berth, 2nd Berth with full size bed and a set of bunks if you had kids..

It was so inexpensive to eat out I saw no point in cooking..