PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight Barrel Options [DD, Criterion, Spikes]

sentinel77
03-12-19, 14:33
Hi, I've decided to build my first AR, rather than to buy a complete rifle, and I'm struggling to decide on which barrel to get. I've decided to go with a lightweight (pencil) barrel, but I don't know enough to make a final decision. The intended use for the rifle is HD/SHTF/plinking. From the little research I've been doing, I've come up with 3 possible options:

1) Daniel Defense CHF LW 16" mid length - $349 (gas block included)
2) Criterion Pencil CL 223 Wylde 16" mid length - $314 (w/ bcm LPGB)
3) Spike's Optimal Contour CHF 16" mid length - $305 (w/ bcm LPGB)

What I'm looking for is the best value when considering accuracy, durability, reliability, and accuracy retention(maintaining consistent MOA figures after barrel heats up).

They're all priced somewhat similarly, so I don't mind spending a bit more money if one particular barrel really outshines the other. I don't plan on buying another barrel for many years, so I'd like to buy once and cry once. Any and all insight from personal experience and/or expertise on the subject is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

GH41
03-12-19, 14:44
Hi, I've decided to build my first AR, rather than to buy a complete rifle, and I'm struggling to decide on which barrel to get. I've decided to go with a lightweight (pencil) barrel, but I don't know enough to make a final decision. The intended use for the rifle is HD/SHTF/plinking. From the little research I've been doing, I've come up with 3 possible options:

1) Daniel Defense CHF LW 16" mid length - $349 (gas block included)
2) Criterion Pencil CL 223 Wylde 16" mid length - $314 (w/ bcm LPGB)
3) Spike's Optimal Contour CHF 16" mid length - $305 (w/ bcm LPGB)

What I'm looking for is the best value when considering accuracy, durability, reliability, and accuracy retention(maintaining consistent MOA figures after barrel heats up).

They're all priced somewhat similarly, so I don't mind spending a bit more money if one particular barrel really outshines the other. I don't plan on buying another barrel for many years, so I'd like to buy once and cry once. Any and all insight from personal experience and/or expertise on the subject is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Put this one on your list> https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-Barrel-ENHANCED-LIGHT-WEIGHT-p/bcm-brl-mid-16-elw-std.htm You might also look at a complete BCM upper. It would make sense if you don't have 100% of the tools needed to properly assemble an upper.

sentinel77
03-12-19, 15:50
Put this one on your list> https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-Barrel-ENHANCED-LIGHT-WEIGHT-p/bcm-brl-mid-16-elw-std.htm You might also look at a complete BCM upper. It would make sense if you don't have 100% of the tools needed to properly assemble an upper.

Yea thanks. I considered that option, but a lot of people seemed to have mixed results with it. Some people had no issues, while others reported pretty bad POI shifts when the barrel got hot. Appreciate the input!

Wake27
03-12-19, 16:01
Yea thanks. I considered that option, but a lot of people seemed to have mixed results with it. Some people had no issues, while others reported pretty bad POI shifts when the barrel got hot. Appreciate the input!

Where did you see people having issues? As a general rule, 99.9% BCM anything is better than 99.9% Spikes anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sentinel77
03-12-19, 16:11
Where did you see people having issues? As a general rule, 99.9% BCM anything is better than 99.9% Spikes anything.

I've seen ppl say it on these forums and on ar15.com. One dude mentioned how his barrel went from 2" to 8" groups once the barrel got toasty. His barrel could be an outlier, but I havent seen anyone say the same thing about the 3 options mentioned above. I think BCM is more than solid, but I dont want to take any risks.

Renegade04
03-12-19, 17:26
Personally, I like the LaRue Tactical PredatAR barrels when I want a lightweight type profile. I have one build with a 16" PredatAR barrel and another that I building with one now.

sentinel77
03-12-19, 17:34
Personally, I like the LaRue Tactical PredatAR barrels when I want a lightweight type profile. I have one build with a 16" PredatAR barrel and another that I building with one now.

Hmm, didn't even think of it. I'll definitely be considering it. Thanks!

snakedoctor
03-12-19, 18:21
https://ballisticadvantage.com/16-inch-223-hanson-625-mid-ss-premium-barrel.html

This option weighs in at a whopping 22oz and it’s backed by BA’s accuracy guarantee

GH41
03-12-19, 18:22
I've seen ppl say it on these forums and on ar15.com. One dude mentioned how his barrel went from 2" to 8" groups once the barrel got toasty. His barrel could be an outlier, but I havent seen anyone say the same thing about the 3 options mentioned above. I think BCM is more than solid, but I dont want to take any risks.

You want to eliminate risk but you are considering a Spikes barrel??? You want to eliminate risk but you are putting stock in AR15 opinions??? I cannot imagine a BCM barrel going from 2 moa to 8 moa if you heated it with a torch. Same for any barrel. Even if they would how would that affect your choice for a (in your words) HD/SHTF/plinking barrel?? HD/SHTF/plinking use doesn't relate to doing mag dumps at the berm. I guess it might if the mall was being overrun by ZOMBIES.

JediGuy
03-12-19, 18:32
Dude. You saw what Wick did with a enhanced lightweight-fluted BCM barrel. Tell me you can outshoot him. Go ahead.

But as a budget option:
https://ballisticadvantage.com/16-inch-556-hanson-625-mid-cmv-performance-barrel.html

crusader377
03-12-19, 18:36
Honestly, All three barrels would work just fine. The Spikes Optimum is an FN CHF barrel so I would have as much confidence with that than the other two. I would also look at BCM, Ballistic, Advantage, FN, and Colt as well.

sentinel77
03-12-19, 19:40
You want to eliminate risk but you are considering a Spikes barrel??? You want to eliminate risk but you are putting stock in AR15 opinions??? I cannot imagine a BCM barrel going from 2 moa to 8 moa if you heated it with a torch. Same for any barrel. Even if they would how would that affect your choice for a (in your words) HD/SHTF/plinking barrel?? HD/SHTF/plinking use doesn't relate to doing mag dumps at the berm. I guess it might if the mall was being overrun by ZOMBIES.

The Spike's barrel is a FN chf barrel. It's possibly better than the BCM.

sentinel77
03-12-19, 19:40
Honestly, All three barrels would work just fine. The Spikes Optimum is an FN CHF barrel so I would have as much confidence with that than the other two. I would also look at BCM, Ballistic, Advantage, FN, and Colt as well.

Gotcha, thanks for the input!

NoBodyImportant
03-12-19, 19:46
I have two DDv5s and a V11. All three came from the factory with the DD LW mid. I love them.
https://i.imgur.com/wZvPRD0.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/w5ACB5U.jpg

Wake27
03-12-19, 20:36

Nope nope nope nope nope.

titsonritz
03-12-19, 20:40

BCM definitely belong on the list:
Fluted versions...https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Barrel-ENHANCED-LIGHT-WEIGHT-FLUTED-p/bcm-brl-mid-16-elw-f-std.htm
Cold Hammer Forged version...https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-16-Mid-Length-ENHANCED-LIGHT-WEIGHT-Bar-p/bcm-brl-mid-16-elw-bfh.htm

I would also not hesitate to recommend SIONICS LW barrels, I have two, one with an A2 front site and one with LPGB...http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/store2015/16/24-5-chrome-lined-w-low-profile-gas-block.html

phixion
03-12-19, 20:58
Nope nope nope nope nope.

Proof for such an emphatic claim?

Eh, don't bother.

rockapede
03-12-19, 20:58
Sionics. $220 at the moment with a LPGB. Mine has been excellent thus far.

Wake27
03-12-19, 21:12
Proof for such an emphatic claim?

Eh, don't bother.

Literally 99% of the entire internet.

Dino11
03-13-19, 03:14
FAXON... They make the lightest and best pencil barrel for the money.

I have one and do not get the POI shift when it heats up.

Faxon has addressed the problem of shots stringing with a manufacturing process, and because the barrel has less mass it literally cools down in two or three minutes.

Iraqgunz
03-13-19, 04:10
LOL. Now take a guess who makes the BCM ones.

Iraqgunz
03-13-19, 04:13
Underrated for sure. We have seen very good accuracy with them.

sentinel77
03-13-19, 15:03

What kind of groups are you able to consistently get? And is it the lightweight profile or medium contour?

sentinel77
03-13-19, 15:05
BCM definitely belong on the list:
Fluted versions...https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Barrel-ENHANCED-LIGHT-WEIGHT-FLUTED-p/bcm-brl-mid-16-elw-f-std.htm
Cold Hammer Forged version...https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-16-Mid-Length-ENHANCED-LIGHT-WEIGHT-Bar-p/bcm-brl-mid-16-elw-bfh.htm

I would also not hesitate to recommend SIONICS LW barrels, I have two, one with an A2 front site and one with LPGB...http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/store2015/16/24-5-chrome-lined-w-low-profile-gas-block.html

How has the performance been with your sionics lw barrels? Do they handle heat well? What kind of accuracy are your getting and what ammo does it like best from your experience?

SWIGIN
03-13-19, 15:54
This has proven to be an excellent barrel in my last build.

https://faxonfirearms.com/match-series-16-pencil-223-wylde-mid-length-416r-nitride-5r-nickel-teflon-extension/

opngrnd
03-13-19, 16:35
How has the performance been with your sionics lw barrels? Do they handle heat well? What kind of accuracy are your getting and what ammo does it like best from your experience?

As a simple grab and go barrel choice, I'll cast a vote for Sionics LW barrels as well.

crusader377
03-13-19, 16:51
I honestly think with pretty much all of the barrels being recommended, there are a lot more similarities than differences. I would expect all of the barrels to shoot in the 2-3 MOA range with good quality M193 ammo. Better ammo obviously would shoot tighter groups. The Criterion barrel on average I would expect to be the most accurate, and the CHF barrels on average should have the longest barrel life, but honestly any one of the recommendations should serve you well.

rockapede
03-13-19, 17:02
What kind of groups are you able to consistently get? And is it the lightweight profile or medium contour?

Lightweight. It’s a laser beam for a LW, CL barrel. MOA until it really heats up. I’ve not seen expansion beyond 2 MOA, but I’m not mag dumping then shooting for groups.

bb223
03-14-19, 04:23
Out of those listed, Criterion.

In general, Colt.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/ar-15-m16-16-5-56-barrel-assembly-prod71164.aspx

Torch-36
03-14-19, 05:03
I'm sure those listed are all GTG. Voted "other" though as I've only shot with the Colt 6960 and a BA nitrided LW in an Aero setup. Both shoot better than I was expecting, but I'm limited to 200 yards at the range I take them to.

Eurodriver
03-14-19, 07:34
(1) Hi, I've decided to build my first AR, rather than to buy a complete rifle

(2) I've decided to go with a lightweight (pencil) barrel, but

(3) I don't know enough to make a final decision.

(4) What I'm looking for is the best value when considering ... accuracy retention(maintaining consistent MOA figures after barrel heats up).

(5) I don't plan on buying another barrel for many years, so I'd like to buy once and cry once.

(6) Any and all insight from personal experience and/or expertise on the subject is greatly appreciated.Thanks!

(1) Why? See (3)

(2) Why? See (3)

(3) Exactly. But this doesn’t just apply to barrels, it applies to everything AR related. Why do you think you can build something that is of higher “durability” and “value” (your own words) than Colt, BCM, Sionics, etc can? Is that really likely? You say you want a lightweight barrel but then want good MOA accuracy as it heats up. Sorry man, physics is a thing and even good branding can’t get rid of that. A LW barrel will heat up more quickly and string vertically more than the equivalent standard barrel will (govt profile issues aside)

Don’t misunderstand me. None of us can make a decision for you either. You have given us nothing to go off of other than “HD SHTF Plinking” for the use of this rifle. This thread is going to give you 500 guys posting “this is the barrel I got. It’s great”. They never provide context. There is never a set standard. You always hear things like “MOA” but I’ve yet to see these magical “MOA” carbines everyone has shoot 3” at 300 yards. In short, the answers are useless and nothing you don’t already know (as evidenced by your 3 choices not including “Bushmaster”)

You never explained your experience level (guessing novice since it’s your first?) and you’re asking a group, 50% of which are collecting social security and carry their rifle from their BIG TEXAS RIG pickup truck to the shooting bench, 45% of which may have been an admin clerk in the Air Force during peacetime or attended a few carbine matches, and the 5% who can genuinely help you just go “Bah. I can’t be bothered.” Tell us what you’d really plan on doing with this rifle and the 45% can be pretty helpful. Be specific. Is your local range only 100y? Do you plan on shooting out further? You could shoot a Glock at 100y accurately with enough time, it’s not necessary to worry about barrels and profiles at that distance and without time limits.

If you really want something that will give you many years of happiness I suggest buying a complete rifle from a known maker and getting to know it thoroughly. Don’t bother with gimmicks or get sucked into the marketing. Your arm won’t fall off because you didn’t get the custom barrel that was 3oz lighter, but you will run into issues if you didn’t torque your barrel right, stake your castle but, or misaligned your gas block (unlikely, but who knows).

(4) Why? See (3)

(5) See (3)

(6) Happy to help.

ginzomatic
03-14-19, 07:37
^^^^^^

Buy a complete BCM. Then, build an AR. 2 is 1, anyway.

sentinel77
03-14-19, 08:31
Out of those listed, Criterion.

In general, Colt.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/ar-15-m16-16-5-56-barrel-assembly-prod71164.aspx

If I could buy the mid length barrel in the 6960 I definitely would

sentinel77
03-14-19, 08:39
(1) Why? See (3)

(2) Why? See (3)

(3) Exactly. But this doesn’t just apply to barrels, it applies to everything AR related. Why do you think you can build something that is of higher “durability” and “value” (your own words) than Colt, BCM, Sionics, etc can? Is that really likely? You say you want a lightweight barrel but then want good MOA accuracy as it heats up. Sorry man, physics is a thing and even good branding can’t get rid of that. A LW barrel will heat up more quickly and string vertically more than the equivalent standard barrel will (govt profile issues aside)

Don’t misunderstand me. None of us can make a decision for you either. You have given us nothing to go off of other than “HD SHTF Plinking” for the use of this rifle. This thread is going to give you 500 guys posting “this is the barrel I got. It’s great”. They never provide context. There is never a set standard. You always hear things like “MOA” but I’ve yet to see these magical “MOA” carbines everyone has shoot 3” at 300 yards. In short, the answers are useless and nothing you don’t already know (as evidenced by your 3 choices not including “Bushmaster”)

You never explained your experience level (guessing novice since it’s your first?) and you’re asking a group, 50% of which are collecting social security and carry their rifle from their BIG TEXAS RIG pickup truck to the shooting bench, 45% of which may have been an admin clerk in the Air Force during peacetime or attended a few carbine matches, and the 5% who can genuinely help you just go “Bah. I can’t be bothered.” Tell us what you’d really plan on doing with this rifle and the 45% can be pretty helpful. Be specific. Is your local range only 100y? Do you plan on shooting out further? You could shoot a Glock at 100y accurately with enough time, it’s not necessary to worry about barrels and profiles at that distance and without time limits.

If you really want something that will give you many years of happiness I suggest buying a complete rifle from a known maker and getting to know it thoroughly. Don’t bother with gimmicks or get sucked into the marketing. Your arm won’t fall off because you didn’t get the custom barrel that was 3oz lighter, but you will run into issues if you didn’t torque your barrel right, stake your castle but, or misaligned your gas block (unlikely, but who knows).

(4) Why? See (3)

(5) See (3)

(6) Happy to help.

I intend on using the rifle at the range out to 200 yards, but for practical applications I don't see myself using it beyond 150 yards. I heard somewhere that most combat engagements take place within 100 yards. I want a barrel that's maneuverable (hence, lightweight) and can maintain good accuracy (nothing over 2 MOA) over consecutive firing (10-20 shot groups). This will be my only rifle, so I need it to be reliable as I believe we're nearing the ever so discussed SHTF scenario and buying needed parts will not be an option. I'm open to other options. From what I'm reading lately, BA/Faxon/Sionics seem to be GTG options. Thanks for your input btw.

opngrnd
03-14-19, 08:57
Based on your above criteria, the Sionics LW barrel will do excellent, and I'd be surprised to see any similar LW barrel do better. I can expand on that if needed.

sentinel77
03-14-19, 09:05
Based on your above criteria, the Sionics LW barrel will do excellent, and I'd be surprised to see any similar LW barrel do better. I can expand on that if needed.

Yea I'd like to hear about your experience with the barrel. How has it performed? What are the pros and cons of the barrel?

Wake27
03-14-19, 09:30
(1) Why? See (3)

(2) Why? See (3)

(4) Why? See (3)

(5) See (3)

(6) Happy to help.

All truth. And it takes a lot of effort to post answers like these multiple times a year, year after year.

opngrnd
03-14-19, 10:50
Yea I'd like to hear about your experience with the barrel. How has it performed? What are the pros and cons of the barrel?

Literally no cons. I can call them on the phone, and I either get an answer or a call back. I've dealt with quite a few Sionics barrels so far, and keep recommending them since they keep meeting or exceeding expectations for their intended use.

I have experience with:
One 16" medium weight mid-length gas.
Two LW 16" mid-length gas.
Six 18" medium weight rifle-length gas.
(^not all owned by me, nor the only brand I own)

They are all accurate enough in their intended roles that if they won't do the job, it's the wrong tool for the job. When someone starts shooting with me (and is new to shooting), I generally recommend a Sionics LW barrel unless they have a very specific goal outside of general use. I watch thousands of rounds go downrange each April-October, and they perform consistently. It's not surprising for anyone to have an occasion great group, but I take note of what provides good groups all the time. Unless it's a precision rig, I don't usually even shot groups anymore beyond sighting them in, although I'll shoot an occasional group if I'm experimenting or sighting in, I'd rather run courses or stages with them.

They aren't the only correct answer. BCM, BRT, Colt, DD, and a few other companies make good barrels, too. But they are incredibly hard to beat at their price point and the level of support. (When I don't buy Sionics, it's probably because I bought a BRT barrel).

titsonritz
03-14-19, 13:41

They perform great in the classes I run them in, I don't shoot them from a bench other than to sight in, but they have acceptable accuracy with both M855 and M193 for the type of shooting I do. I haven't noticed any major POA/POI shifts from heating up but again I not not shoot off a bench and don't use my Black Hills 77gr OTM, that's not what they are for.

For the money, I think one would be hard pressed to find a better LW barrel and the crew at SIONICS is second to none. That said if this is going to be your one and only AR, do yourself a big favor and buy at least a complete upper if not a full rifle.

They aren't the only correct answer. BCM, BRT, Colt, DD, and a few other companies make good barrels, too. But they are incredibly hard to beat at their price point and the level of support. (When I don't buy Sionics, it's probably because I bought a BRT barrel).

I personally think we are in the time of the little shops. Colt is the measuring stick but any more I'll buy from BCM and SIONICS over them.

docsherm
03-14-19, 15:09
LOL. Now take a guess who makes the BCM ones.

The same place that makes PSA.

03-14-19, 16:07

I’ve got two BRT barrels, a 16” lightweight and a 14” medium weight that I’ve assembled with URX4’s, but not yet fired. I really like the profiles on these barrels, and can’t wait to see if they meet my expectations.

opngrnd
03-14-19, 16:31
I’ve got two BRT barrels, a 16” lightweight and a 14” medium weight that I’ve assembled with URX4’s, but not yet fired. I really like the profiles on these barrels, and can’t wait to see if they meet my expectations.

Excellent barrels! I own those two as well as my "off the beaten path" projects, but they are dedicated rifles. The P&W 14" w/ SF brake is awaiting the suppressor at almost 9 months, and the 16" is my "tuned daily driver". Excellent barrels, but set up for 5.56, and many people buy underpowered 223 ammo. I'd feel bad if I recommended a BRT that didn't run the underpowered ammo well, and I feel that the Sionics LW has a tad more gas drive which may be more forgiving for the plug and play purchaser. The BRT barrels do seem nigh unbeatable if you are willing to play around with your set up a little.

Ritz-I'm a big Colt fan, but like I often say "Sionics/BCM/etc is what you'd get if Colt cared about you." It's a great time to be a purchaser with the many excellent options.

Iraqgunz
03-14-19, 17:25
Except that BCM lays out exacting standards and performs multiple checks on barrels.

The same place that makes PSA.

docsherm
03-14-19, 18:24
Except that BCM lays out exacting standards and performs multiple checks on barrels.

Kind of like how Noveske does for their FN CHF barrels but not as extreme?

sentinel77
03-14-19, 19:31
Literally no cons. I can call them on the phone, and I either get an answer or a call back. I've dealt with quite a few Sionics barrels so far, and keep recommending them since they keep meeting or exceeding expectations for their intended use.

I have experience with:
One 16" medium weight mid-length gas.
Two LW 16" mid-length gas.
Six 18" medium weight rifle-length gas.
(^not all owned by me, nor the only brand I own)

They are all accurate enough in their intended roles that if they won't do the job, it's the wrong tool for the job. When someone starts shooting with me (and is new to shooting), I generally recommend a Sionics LW barrel unless they have a very specific goal outside of general use. I watch thousands of rounds go downrange each April-October, and they perform consistently. It's not surprising for anyone to have an occasion great group, but I take note of what provides good groups all the time. Unless it's a precision rig, I don't usually even shot groups anymore beyond sighting them in, although I'll shoot an occasional group if I'm experimenting or sighting in, I'd rather run courses or stages with them.

Okay, thanks for your feedback. I think I'm heavily considering the sionics lw right now.

sentinel77
03-14-19, 19:33

I've heard conflicting accounts of the BCM barrels. Some say they're great and others say they're mediocre. I think BCM is overall a solid option, but I want to remove as much doubt as I can in the process.

sentinel77
03-14-19, 19:35
They perform great in the classes I run them in, I don't shoot them from a bench other than to sight in, but they have acceptable accuracy with both M855 and M193 for the type of shooting I do. I haven't noticed any major POA/POI shifts from heating up but again I not not shoot off a bench and don't use my Black Hills 77gr OTM, that's not what they are for.

For the money, I think one would be hard pressed to find a better LW barrel and the crew at SIONICS is second to none. That said if this is going to be your one and only AR, do yourself a big favor and buy at least a complete upper if not a full rifle.

I personally think we are in the time of the little shops. Colt is the measuring stick but any more I'll buy from BCM and SIONICS over them.

Okay, thanks. I'm leaning towards the Sionics at the moment.

JerDerv
03-14-19, 21:33
Has this been posted?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnDsNTi4nmM

sentinel77
03-14-19, 21:42
Has this been posted?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnDsNTi4nmM

Been watching mrgunsngear vids to get a better idea of what to buy lol. I was impressed by the sionics patrol rifle he reviewed and really blown away by the ddm4 v11 lw's accuracy. Thanks for sharing!

Clint
03-25-19, 21:44
The OPTIMUM LPR (http://www.blackrivertactical.com/concrete5/store/#!/BRT-16-OPTIMUM-LPR-Barrel-*-PRE-ORDER/p/111315435/category=0) is a great choice in the light weight barrel category.

The EXT gas system is longer than mid length and is designed specifically for 16" barrels to optimize timing and overall gas drive.

Excellent barrels! I own those two as well as my "off the beaten path" projects, but they are dedicated rifles. The P&W 14" w/ SF brake is awaiting the suppressor at almost 9 months, and the 16" is my "tuned daily driver". Excellent barrels, but set up for 5.56, and many people buy underpowered 223 ammo. I'd feel bad if I recommended a BRT that didn't run the underpowered ammo well, and I feel that the Sionics LW has a tad more gas drive which may be more forgiving for the plug and play purchaser. The BRT barrels do seem nigh unbeatable if you are willing to play around with your set up a little.

opngrnd
03-25-19, 22:41
The OPTIMUM LPR (http://www.blackrivertactical.com/concrete5/store/#!/BRT-16-OPTIMUM-LPR-Barrel-*-PRE-ORDER/p/111315435/category=0) is a great choice in the light weight barrel category.

The EXT gas system is longer than mid length and is designed specifically for 16" barrels to optimize timing and overall gas drive.

The EXT gas system makes even quality regular barrels feel overgassed. Especially if you head back to carbine setups with carbine gas/carbine RE.

BrigandTwoFour
03-26-19, 20:22
To be honest, buying a barrel from a known quality manufacturer (Colt, BCM, Criterion, Sionics, etc.) isn't going to net you much difference between them. As alluded to elsewhere, when you pay a little extra for one of these barrels, you're also paying for the QC methods and tolerances that come with them.

For the uses you listed, you aren't likely to notice a lick of difference between them.

That said, I also second the suggestion to buy a complete upper assembled by a known quality shop. You don't want to be in the position of knowing you bought quality components, but don't know if bubba gunsmith at the local shop actually assembled everything together (assuming you're not doing it yourself, which is a whole different set of questions). If you don't go the factory route, you'll always be wondering if any shortcomings in performance are from you or a questionable assembly job.

voiceofreason
03-27-19, 08:29
Great point. Never considered that perspective.

you[/I] or a questionable assembly job.