PDA

View Full Version : Lower Receiver Takedown Pin Holes Wearing?

MSplumber
03-12-19, 18:01
https://imgur.com/a/Qi4jT89

I just noticed this AR with about 800 rounds through it has what appears to be wear in the hole where the takedown pins go. It's present in both pin holes, but I only took pictures of the front one because it shows up better. Is this something that can be a problem or is it nothing to worry about? The gun has had no issues functioning, but will it when I get up to higher round counts?

It looks like the upper takedown pin holes also have wear in the corresponding areas. The upper and lower were pretty tight when I built it. It was a matched receiver set. Could it just be "break in" wear? Or will a lack of anodizing there lead to malfunctions?

Iraqgunz
03-12-19, 19:53
Matched upper and lower usually means tight as hell to appease the AR Fit and Finish OCD crowd. Your pins are steel and the upper and lower are aluminum. As you pound those pins in and out, the wear begins. Couple that with a potential not so good anodizing job and you get the wear.

https://imgur.com/a/Qi4jT89

I just noticed this AR with about 800 rounds through it has what appears to be wear in the hole where the takedown pins go. It's present in both pin holes, but I only took pictures of the front one because it shows up better. Is this something that can be a problem or is it nothing to worry about? The gun has had no issues functioning, but will it when I get up to higher round counts?

It looks like the upper takedown pin holes also have wear in the corresponding areas. The upper and lower were pretty tight when I built it. It was a matched receiver set. Could it just be "break in" wear? Or will a lack of anodizing there lead to malfunctions?

mark5pt56
03-12-19, 19:58
Just put a drop or two of lube on the area if it's binding. Otherwise, like IG said, it's going to happen to some degree and stop. That one pic does look like a bad job. No worries though as that "wobble" does not affect accuracy, just an irritant if you allow to be.

MSplumber
03-12-19, 21:32
Matched upper and lower usually means tight as hell to appease the AR Fit and Finish OCD crowd. Your pins are steel and the upper and lower are aluminum. As you pound those pins in and out, the wear begins. Couple that with a potential not so good anodizing job and you get the wear.

I would've rather it have a little play and no finish wear, but oh well.

Just put a drop or two of lube on the area if it's binding. Otherwise, like IG said, it's going to happen to some degree and stop. That one pic does look like a bad job. No worries though as that "wobble" does not affect accuracy, just an irritant if you allow to be.

It doesn't seem to be binding or causing any issues. The fitment between receivers isn't loose, either. That type of thing doesn't bother me anyway. If the finish wear is definitely not going to cause any issues down the road then I'm okay with it.