PDA

View Full Version : Cerakote and Form 1 lowers

Boris_the_Blade
03-13-19, 20:03
Looking to Cerakote one of my SBR’s. I have no experience with it, any risk of it rendering my engraving inadequate?

themonk
03-13-19, 21:03
You should be good. Cerakote is very thin.

Boris_the_Blade
03-13-19, 21:15
Sweet, preciate the help

Decimus
03-19-19, 15:32
Just my personal experience but I had my 1st SBR Cerakoted after engraving and had to have it engraved again. It was explained to me that in order to Cerakote properly the surface has to be prepped by ablating the material slightly and it made the engraving nearly imperceptible. I was wiser on subsequent SBRs. Just my $.02.

themonk
03-19-19, 15:57
Just to add to Decimus post. When you take in your gun for Cerakote they will take it apart, clean all the parts, and then bead blast it to give the anodization some texture for the Cerakote to stick to. One, they should not be blasting the hell out of your lower so that any engraving is imperceptible and two a good engraver will meet or exceed the ATF engraving specs which will generally be around the depth of the engraving of the manufacturer of your lower.

Decimus
03-19-19, 17:49
Monk I agree. I believe the original engraving wasn't deep enough to hold up to the bead blast even though though it was done by a company with a good reputation. It was nowhere near as deep as the rollmark. It may have blasted too hard as well as this was a Noveske chainsaw lower and it damn near took the chainsaw mark off as well. Just wanted to let Boris know it happened to me.

CPM
03-20-19, 18:49
Cerakote will wear, just not quite as much as Krylon. Worn Krylon looks way cooler. Buy three cans and 1000 rounds instead.