PDA

View Full Version : Why is welching allowed in the equipment exchange?

snackgunner
03-15-19, 12:22
Members who Welch on a deal should get a site ban. At the least a ban from the EE forum

Mjolnir
03-16-19, 00:42
Members who Welch on a deal should get a site ban. At the least a ban from the EE forum

A bit harsh, no?

But I do think a conversation with the mods might not be a bad thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arik
03-16-19, 00:52
I actually did that one time when I was new here. I don't even remember what it was I wanted to buy. I think a ambi safety. I saw it on Friday and said I'd take it. 5 min later we got slammed at work and I ended up going home late then coming to work early on Saturday, staying most of the day and back in on Sunday. I was so busy those 3 days that this whole thing just slipped my mind completely. Some time later I was driving to a store when all of a sudden it hit me.......I told a member I was going to buy and essentially disappeared! Felt really embarrassed but I couldn't remember who it was I buying from.

If you're reading this and you still remember...sorry!

Wake27
03-16-19, 07:09
It’s inconvenient but really not that big of a deal.

sidewaysil80
03-16-19, 07:27

I concur, MAYBE if someone is a habitual welcher suspend them from the marketplace. But banning from entire site is overkill.

Outlander Systems
03-16-19, 09:26
What is Welching?

wigbones
03-16-19, 09:34
What is Welching?

When you agree to buy/sell something and then you back out.

The_War_Wagon
03-16-19, 10:32
I've never done it here, and never had it happen to me - thankfully - which makes M4C 7,000% better than Armslist. :mad:

I raise the price by $10, every time I get stiffed on a meeting with someone, that I've driven across the county to go meet.

ST911
03-16-19, 13:28

I concur, MAYBE if someone is a habitual welcher suspend them from the marketplace. But banning from entire site is overkill.

These. "Welching", backing out of an agreement to buy or sell, is different than fraud by the buyer or seller. Welching is bad manners, and mostly a private matter between the parties. If someone is a repeat offender, reflect that in feedback and report them to staff for further consideration.

When conducting business in the EE, members should carefully scrutinize potential buyers and sellers. I wouldn't conduct any business with a new member with a low post count. If they made their 30 posts in a short period of time and posts 31-40 are EE ads, danger. Please report those users to staff. I also wouldn't conduct any business with any member whose primary/majority participation at M4C is the GD and EE. Why reward someone who doesn't contribute to the site's core mission.

EE rules here: https://www.m4carbine.net/announcement.php?f=108

LowSpeed_HighDrag
03-16-19, 23:39

It sucks, but it's not the end of the world. Things happen here, and welching is the least of the problems that can arise in online transactions. Leave negative feedback and move on.

Wake27
03-17-19, 08:00
I’m not even sure it’s worth negative feedback. IMO, the feedback is to rate how the transaction went down. If money was never sent, there was no transaction. Obviously if someone elected after the payment has been sent, that’s a bigger problem because then the buyer has to go through the process of getting their money back, but until that happens, you’re just talking.

Watrdawg
03-21-19, 08:25
I’m not even sure it’s worth negative feedback. IMO, the feedback is to rate how the transaction went down. If money was never sent, there was no transaction. Obviously if someone elected after the payment has been sent, that’s a bigger problem because then the buyer has to go through the process of getting their money back, but until that happens, you’re just talking.

I pretty much agree with the above. Once money changes hands then things become more serious. Until that point it's more of a pain in the rear than anything.