PDA

View Full Version : Mid Length hand guard upgrade

NotDr.Phil
03-15-19, 21:10
Hi All:
Newbie when it comes to AR15’s (though not guns).
Just got an M&P 15 Optics Ready & want to upgrade from stock
carbine length handguard to a Mid Length Magpul hand guard
(MAG426).

I know the mid length is about 2 or 2.5 inches longer.
If I make this change, do I need to remove & reposition
the gas block and install a longer gas tube? OR does the
Mid length just drop in?

opngrnd
03-15-19, 21:19
Hi All:
(MAG426).

Mid length just drop in?

I'm afraid you won't be able to change the handguards in that manner. Moving the gas block isn't an option because the purpose of the gas block is to sit over the gas port and direct gas through the gas tube into the action. Being that the gas port is a hole drilled into the top of the barrel, the gas block needs to be at its present location unless the barrel is replaced with a barrel that has a different gas system or you sent the upper out to have the gas port welded and a new gas port drilled.

Consider this longer, more ergonomic handguard that fits your carbine length gas system, but is about the same length overall as the mid-length MOE you are asking about:

https://www.magpul.com/products/moe-sl-hand-guard-carbine-length?ProductColor=VO343

Rascally
03-15-19, 22:46
I'm afraid you won't be able to change the handguards in that manner. Moving the gas block isn't an option because the purpose of the gas block is to sit over the gas port and direct gas through the gas tube into the action. Being that the gas port is a hole drilled into the top of the barrel, the gas block needs to be at its present location unless the barrel is replaced with a barrel that has a different gas system or you sent the upper out to have the gas port welded and a new gas port drilled.

Consider this longer, more ergonomic handguard that fits your carbine length gas system, but is about the same length overall as the mid-length MOE you are asking about:

https://www.magpul.com/products/moe-sl-hand-guard-carbine-length?ProductColor=VO343

This is the easiest and least expensive answer for what you want to do. Otherwise, as noted, new barrel.

Iraqgunz
03-15-19, 23:05
Sell the upper and get a midlength. Or be prepared to get a new barrel, handguards, etc..

Hi All:
(MAG426).

Mid length just drop in?

titsonritz
03-16-19, 02:29
Just don't be like this guy...
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?72733-Failure-to-cycle

AndyLate
03-16-19, 15:15
Just don't be like this guy.

Was that real or a troll?

Rascally
03-16-19, 17:47

It could have been real. My LGS guy showed me a rifle someone had dropped off for the same issue, non-cycling. It had been assembled by a third party, a "friend". We both had a good laugh, because the gas block was 1/2" off the gas port shoulder.

There are a whole lot of people driving cars that don't have the faintest idea of what to do with a flat tire...

titsonritz
03-16-19, 19:19

Totally real and not the only one.