PDA

View Full Version : Anyone going to see “Combat Obscura?”

Buncheong
03-16-19, 01:12
Opened today but very limited release.

http://combatobscura.oscilloscope.net

Averageman
03-16-19, 05:06
Looks like I will be waiting for it to come locally or for it to come out on disc.

austinN4
03-16-19, 06:57
It is listed on Netflix as release date unknown. Put it in my Q anyway.

ABNAK
03-16-19, 08:31
My question would be since he was there in an official capacity to film the ops, how can he legally take the film and make it into a movie? I mean it wasn't like he was recording this with his cell phone or such, it was (I assume) with USMC camera equipment and for that very purpose.

Make no mistake, when it comes out on PPV or Prime I'll definitely watch it.

26 Inf
03-16-19, 12:02
Hr got it released:

Once he got the footage declassified through a Pentagon review process, word of the film wormed its way onto the Marine Corps’ radar.

“That’s when I started getting calls from NCIS and Marine Corps Entertainment Liaison Office,” he said. "They wanted to know what I was trying to do with it and what the message was.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
03-16-19, 12:35
Oh hell yes I'll be seeing it.

chuckman
03-16-19, 15:50
Nah. BTDT. Same reason I don't watch vacation videos.

WillBrink
04-17-19, 10:46
So, supposedly this kid used footage not approved and went "rogue."

Attempting to prevent the public from seeing what war is really like as to not lose support is how it works if you're running a war and don't want to lose support, $, etc. is as old as the camera itself. 18 year old marines are not exactly qualified to say if the war is well managed or a success one way or another... I'm conflicted as to his motives, and utility of his film.

Anyway, I have not seen it but did watch this interview via Reason with the "rogue" film maker which is worth a view:

https://reason.com/video/this-marine-videographer-went-rogue-to-show-the-brutal-reality-of-war/

flenna
04-17-19, 10:55
So, supposedly this kid used footage not approved and went "rogue."

Attempting to prevent the public from seeing what war is really like as to not lose support is how it works if you're running a war and don't want to lose support, $, etc. is as old as the camera itself. 18 year old marines are not exactly qualified to say if the war is well managed or a success one way or another... I'm conflicted as to his motives, and utility of his film.

Anyway, I have not seen it but did watch this interview via Reason with the "rogue" film maker which is worth a view:

https://reason.com/video/this-marine-videographer-went-rogue-to-show-the-brutal-reality-of-war/

Agree. Which is why we were able to kick the crap out of Germany and Japan in WW2. Then in Vietnam we let the photographers show the ugliness of war every night on the 6pm news and support went down the drain fast.

WillBrink
04-17-19, 11:04
Agree. Which is why we were able to kick the crap out of Germany and Japan in WW2. Then in Vietnam we let the photographers show the ugliness of war every night on the 6pm news and support went down the drain fast.

Which in retrospect, perhaps a good thing? The mil learned a hard less on Nam that they better control the narrative all around and allowing reporters to wonder around at will, a bad idea if you want public support. But, is the hard realities what people should see and accept for a legit war? I'm not sure what the answer is.

Wake27
04-17-19, 11:07
A necessary evil, given how easily everything is broadcast these days. That being said, most of the public doesn’t have the balls for it, and we all know that too many think with their feelings, absent of any logic. Dangerous precedent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flenna
04-17-19, 18:08
Which in retrospect, perhaps a good thing? The mil learned a hard less on Nam that they better control the narrative all around and allowing reporters to wonder around at will, a bad idea if you want public support. But, is the hard realities what people should see and accept for a legit war? I'm not sure what the answer is.

Even a “legit” war is too ugly for public consumption and can turn off public support. WW2 is “legit” in most opinions yet was terribly brutal. In 1943 the War Department allowed the press to release photographs of dead Marines on Tarawa. No missing body parts or anything like that just uniformed bodies in the surf. Immediately they started getting nasty letters from the public calling the War Department murderers and such.

CRAMBONE
04-18-19, 13:24
I want to see it. I think it’s awesome it was released. I’ve been that dumb young kid that my country sent somewhere. It should be a good watch. A very “high end dude” told me I would like it and be able to relate.

moonshot
04-19-19, 08:11
Hadn't heard of this yet. Sounds a little bit like 84 Charlie MoPic.