PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else afflicted with the "One trip from the car to the house" disease?

ABNAK
03-17-19, 08:15
My wife says it is a "guy thing". I don't make two trips, ONE and done! I'll hang grocery bags from every finger, hell I'd hang one (or more) around my neck if I could. Same with after work and my gym bag, mail, and maybe a few things from the liquor store or quickie mart. One trip baby! I find it a challenge sometimes. My wife rolls her eyes and says "Oh for God's sake, I'll make another trip". Nope, I WILL succeed!

Firefly
03-17-19, 08:28
Who is really wrong? The person wanting to get it all done at once or the person who has all day to go from one spot to another?

ABNAK
03-17-19, 08:35
Who is really wrong? The person wanting to get it all done at once or the person who has all day to go from one spot to another?

Efficiency, even with overload, rules baby!

Averageman
03-17-19, 09:03
Paper not plastic.
Double the paper bags up, they'll hold three times as much as plastic and you can carry four paper bags in one trip pretty easily. Bag your own groceries, kids don't know anything about loading paper bags. Essentially you've got the contents of twelve plastic bags in four doubled paper bags.
Just as a side note plastic bags suck for pretty much everything, it takes forever for them to break down and if you've ever broken some beers 'cause the plastic bag took a dump, well there's your solution.
Save your doubled paper bags and reuse them, they last forever.

jsbhike
03-17-19, 09:23
My wife attempts to get it all in one trip, then can't get the door open and gets pissed when I don't hear her needing help when her plan flops.

Bulletdog
03-17-19, 09:27
Oh yeah. One trip. Even if I have to stand there for five minutes and figure out how to get it all done in one trip. If I wear both jackets, put the back pack on, all four hats on my head, carry the 35 pound bag of dog food and the dog on leash in one hand, all my other stuff in the other hand, but first I have to put the house key in my mouth because I won't have a free hand to retrieve it once I pick up all this other stuff, then I can shut the car door with my foot, and push the car's door lock/alarm button once I'm in the house and have a free hand... Yeah. Its a daily puzzle to solve.

OH58D
03-17-19, 09:30
Sounds like life when I was stationed at Fort Campbell, or the days at the Pentagon and Fort Meade when going to the PX or Wal-Mart. I'd carry as many bags as I can in each hand, cutting circulation off to the fingers. Now since we live @ 70 miles one-way to the nearest Supermarket or Wal-Mart, we buy a one month supply in a single trip, usually filling the entire pickup truck bed. The days of running to the store for a gallon of milk are long gone.

Campbell
03-17-19, 09:45
My wife attempts to get it all in one trip, then can't get the door open and gets pissed when I don't hear her needing help when her plan flops.

Bingo.

ABNAK
03-17-19, 11:09
Oh yeah. One trip. Even if I have to stand there for five minutes and figure out how to get it all done in one trip. If I wear both jackets, put the back pack on, all four hats on my head, carry the 35 pound bag of dog food and the dog on leash in one hand, all my other stuff in the other hand, but first I have to put the house key in my mouth because I won't have a free hand to retrieve it once I pick up all this other stuff, then I can shut the car door with my foot, and push the car's door lock/alarm button once I'm in the house and have a free hand... Yeah. Its a daily puzzle to solve.

Can I subscribe to your newsletter? That sounds like someone I know.....:rolleyes:

ABNAK
03-17-19, 11:10
Sounds like life when I was stationed at Fort Campbell, or the days at the Pentagon and Fort Meade when going to the PX or Wal-Mart. I'd carry as many bags as I can in each hand, cutting circulation off to the fingers. Now since we live @ 70 miles one-way to the nearest Supermarket or Wal-Mart, we buy a one month supply in a single trip, usually filling the entire pickup truck bed. The days of running to the store for a gallon of milk are long gone.

Oh every time!

AKDoug
03-17-19, 11:35
When I built our current house, the entrance is at ground level. No steps, just a 4x6 concrete flat area that is level with the driveway. I just back the wife's mini-van up to the door as close as I can and still try and make one trip the 20' to the kitchen. Next house is getting a covered drive up door to the kitchen where the pantries, freezer and refrigerator are close to the door.

GH41
03-17-19, 12:01
I'm a one trip guy like the OP. I liked the flimsy plastic bags better... You could get more than one on each finger.

gaijin
03-17-19, 12:52
Oh Hell yeah.

If you don’t carry a bag from each finger you are probably gay, or female.

JoshNC
03-17-19, 13:21
Ha. Yep, I’m the same way. I hate multiple trips to the car.

militarymoron
03-17-19, 14:34
I don't really bother too much with the 'one trip' from the car trunk in the garage to the fridge as far as groceries go as it's pretty short, but when I'm at the outdoor range and have to get my guns and ammo to the shooting bench from the car, that's when it kicks in. I'll have 3 rifle cases slung over my shoulders including my range bag or gear bag, ammo cans etc in an effort to get everything in one trip.

SteyrAUG
03-17-19, 14:51

That's the word I was going to post. This weekend I had a shop vac on one shoulder and two gallons of milk in my other hand kicking the door telling her to open it. I got yelled at for carrying "too many things." Meanwhile she will take six trips for six small plastic grocery bags, then go back get her purse then go back because she forgot her glasses, etc.

_Stormin_
03-17-19, 14:57
EVERY
DAMN
TIME

Yesterday's groceries included a mixed case of wine. There is no way that two trips would be necessary.

The_War_Wagon
03-17-19, 16:01

I got better things to do, than fart around with 40 bags of groceries all day. I may get a hernia, and lose circulation in my fingertips the rest of the day, but ONE trip is WORTH it!

Diamondback
03-17-19, 16:05
Less trips = less "window of exposure." Granted, that doesn't mean crap when I have to haul the groceries upstairs, haul a chair back down for the Old Crab to roost on since she can't walk all the way from the parking space to the door or even stand upright for more than about 30 seconds without doubling over, haul her overloaded purse back for her, then go back and get her chair... *rolls eyes*

Dennis
03-17-19, 16:21
I used to be a one trip guy but access to a truly private range fixed my shooting issue and old enough kids fixed the groceries issue. Now I just head for my easy chair and supervise from comfort!

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

signal4l
03-17-19, 16:21
I thought I did permanent nerve damage to the index finger of my right hand while carrying a bunch of groceries for my car to the hotel room. We're on vacation in Orlando and it was quite a hike. Luckily I regained feeling in my trigger finger after about a day. I won't make that mistake twice.

Honu
03-17-19, 17:02
hahahaha yup

when I taught diving we used to carry two tanks in each hand so we could load and unload the boat 4 tanks at a time even :)

ABNAK
03-17-19, 17:48
That's the word I was going to post. This weekend I had a shop vac on one shoulder and two gallons of milk in my other hand kicking the door telling her to open it. I got yelled at for carrying "too many things." Meanwhile she will take six trips for six small plastic grocery bags, then go back get her purse then go back because she forgot her glasses, etc.

Damn womenz!

ABNAK
03-17-19, 17:50
I used to be a one trip guy but access to a truly private range fixed my shooting issue and old enough kids fixed the groceries issue. Now I just head for my easy chair and supervise from comfort!

Dennis.

Leadership is a lonely position at times, but someone's gotta do it!

ABNAK
03-17-19, 17:53
On a similar note, ever go into the grocery store for a "few" things, and therefore skip the little hand-held baskets (don't even mention a cart!), but find yourself doing a juggling/balancing act as you plod towards the checkout line, wishing that you had indeed actually grabbed the little basket? I do it ALL the time.

Diamondback
03-17-19, 20:13
On a similar note, ever go into the grocery store for a "few" things, and therefore skip the little hand-held baskets (don't even mention a cart!), but find yourself doing a juggling/balancing act as you plod towards the checkout line, wishing that you had indeed actually grabbed the little basket? I do it ALL the time.
Yeah, but in my case it's because I go in for one little thing then...

*DING*[text as I'm headed for checkout]"Hey, pick up X, Y and Z" (of course, all back all the way across the store)
I have everything and am next in checkout line and...
*DING*"I need A, B and C too"
Okay, here we go again... these are hidden in hard to find places... I get halfway through the list
*DING*"I need P, Q and R too. And what's taking you so long? Hurry up, I haven't got all day!"

The things we do for our parents as they approach senior-citizen status...

Arik
03-17-19, 21:23
Yep! I'll even grab a bag or the mail in my mouth. Whatever it takes to make one trip, although sometimes it's not possible

26 Inf
03-17-19, 22:51
The local chain often sells Pepsi products at 3 for cost of 2 pricing. This generally involves me getting out of the truck and juggling things around until I get a 12 pack under each arm and two hanging from the fingers of each hand. I use my butt to shut the truck door and wedge the two 12 packs in my right hand between my right thigh and the house as I punch in the code on the door. Then I regrasp them and head into the backdoor and down the basement steps to the beverage fridge in the basement.

The likelihood of me making this transit with all cans intact is roughly 70% - better than an 8th Bomber Group Aircrews chance of finishing 25 mission, but not that whoopy. But, I do it in one trip, unless you count the trips back out to pickup busted 12 packs and the resulting leaking cans.

Buncheong
03-17-19, 23:07
Guilty as charged.

Diamondback
03-17-19, 23:10
The likelihood of me making this transit with all cans intact is roughly 70% - better than an 8th Bomber Group Aircrews chance of finishing 25 mission, but not that whoopy. But, I do it in one trip, unless you count the trips back out to pickup busted 12 packs and the resulting leaking cans.
This is why I stick to bottles... :D Besides, with 1.25-liter Dr Peppers frequently 10/$10 and me killing one about every two days, I only need four to get through a week.

The Old Crab with her 1-liter of ginger ale every day, on the other hand... there are reasons why I just keep a collapsible wagon in the rear of the car to help with the cargo hauling.

flenna
03-18-19, 06:05

It usually happens because I go to the store to buy some TP and by the time I get to the back of the stores I get 15 texts from my wife to pick up more items. So instead of going back up front to get a cart I just try to carry everything. Because, you know, it is easier that way.

Adrenaline_6
03-18-19, 08:35
One plastic bag on each finger? You can put at least 5-10 on your forearms and then grab a bunch with your hands to prevent the ones on your forearms from sliding off. Gotta stay balanced though. The limit is your walking weight - thats it.

Doc Safari
03-18-19, 09:36
My wife says it is a "guy thing". I don't make two trips, ONE and done! I'll hang grocery bags from every finger, hell I'd hang one (or more) around my neck if I could. Same with after work and my gym bag, mail, and maybe a few things from the liquor store or quickie mart. One trip baby! I find it a challenge sometimes. My wife rolls her eyes and says "Oh for God's sake, I'll make another trip". Nope, I WILL succeed!

I live by the same philosophy. Plastic bags with handles were designed by people like us.

Honu
03-18-19, 14:42
It usually happens because I go to the store to buy some TP and by the time I get to the back of the stores I get 15 texts from my wife to pick up more items. So instead of going back up front to get a cart I just try to carry everything. Because, you know, it is easier that way.

next time you buy TP put it on last ! and ask the checker if you think that is enough for the food ya just bought :) hahahahaha

Honu
03-18-19, 14:43
One plastic bag on each finger? You can put at least 5-10 on your forearms and then grab a bunch with your hands to prevent the ones on your forearms from sliding off. Gotta stay balanced though. The limit is your walking weight - thats it.

I have to hit the garage close button and open the door though ! so I often am unbalanced !
my grab method can be to complex to set down and pick up again easy so I just suffer hahahhaha

sgtrock82
03-18-19, 16:59
I have to hit the garage close button and open the door though !

Thats what noses, elbows and hat bills are for!

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Adrenaline_6
03-19-19, 08:11

You are correct sir!

Honu
03-19-19, 10:55

I wish for me cant reach the garage door button without leaning out

BUT what happens to me on the door handles they are those sideways lever types and when I push it with overloaded bags is one ALWAYS slips off and gets caught then I have to wrestle it off :) AND it has this stupid curl thing at the end that is a pain with one hand to release the bag from :)

Bulletdog
03-20-19, 08:35
Oh Hell yeah.

If you don’t carry a bag from each finger you are probably gay, or female.

All you guys with your fingertip carrying technique: Amateurs.

I run the bag handles along the forearm from elbow to wrist, on each arm, and that leaves both hands free for keys, door handles and knobs, smacking' the kid upside the head for carrying to little, coppin' a feel on the wife, carrying even more bags at once, etc...

Adrenaline_6
03-20-19, 09:17
All you guys with your fingertip carrying technique: Amateurs.

I run the bag handles along the forearm from elbow to wrist, on each arm, and that leaves both hands free for keys, door handles and knobs, smacking' the kid upside the head for carrying to little, coppin' a feel on the wife, carrying even more bags at once, etc...

Agreed. Mentioned it in post #32.

sgtrock82
03-20-19, 10:53
Well if a woman has done the shopping, with and actual cart, then yes Ill need to run the bags up my arms and still hang bags off each finger in addition to the 3-4 bags I can still close my ladden fingers around. Giant bundles of TP can be kicked along the ground

grnamin
03-20-19, 11:06
Blue IKEA bags. Keep a couple in your car. They hold everything.

Honu
03-20-19, 13:44

to funny I was thinking of saying this !!! they used to be 50 cents or something when I got them ? not sure what they are now

Diamondback
03-20-19, 18:40

This. They'd rock if my mother didn't keep commandeering 'em to STORE her crap rather than haul crap... I'm pretty sure you could haul a B-52 load out to the plane in 'em. LOL