PDA

View Full Version : NRA or GOA - Who should my money go to?

RAM Engineer
11-07-08, 20:46
I've been a member of the NRA since I was 16 and I just signed up to be a volunteer for them (witnessing to the heathen masses). I was just wondering if it is worth it to give money to the GOA also or just consolidate the same amount with the NRA.

I guess I could throw the JPFO in the mix also.

So what do you guys recommend?

chadbag
11-07-08, 20:50
All of the above

They all have their place.

NRA first though since in the eyes of the world they ARE the American Gun Owner and the larger they are the better off we all are.

GOA and JPFO have their places as well and would welcome your donations and memberships too.

thopkins22
11-07-08, 21:10
Agree with e-guns, now is the time to support everyone that will lobby on our behalf. The NRA is more mainstream and tends to settle, while the GOA holds the position that no more ground can be lost...politicians need to hear from both to get it through their thick skulls.

Robb Jensen
11-07-08, 21:14
Both.

I'm a proud life member of the NRA and GOA, and an annual member of the JPFO, and VCDL.

Jager
11-08-08, 00:32
I am a GOA and JPFO member.

Iraqgunz
11-08-08, 03:45
I recently renewed my membership to the NRA and GOA. What I really want to see is a new organization emerge maybe something like the "United 2nd Amendment Group" or something like that. They need to put aside all of their petty differences and squabling and unite into one large organization that has a cohesive strategy to counter the Brady Bunch and any potential gun grabbing by Obama and Company.

Wolfgang
11-08-08, 09:00
Both of them, as well as your state association.

10MMGary
11-08-08, 09:53
I am a NRA Life member and still give to GOA JPFO and some CRKABA in VA. <(not really sure how they got in my pocket.:D) The NRA is most powerful according to some, GOA is pretty damn good and are made up of very intense fighters for the 2nd Amendment.

Surf
11-08-08, 13:56
Both are very good, but as mentioned the NRA is the powerhouse when it comes to lobbying for our 2nd ammendment rights.

maximus83
11-08-08, 14:15
Agree with e-guns, now is the time to support everyone that will lobby on our behalf. The NRA is more mainstream and tends to settle, while the GOA holds the position that no more ground can be lost...politicians need to hear from both to get it through their thick skulls.

Another +1.

I try to support at least one or more organizations that are doing a good job at the national level, and also support a group at the state level. This is critical, because often as you know states can pass regulations, or cities can pass local ordinances, that may override and cancel out your rights that were defined at the Federal level.

Here are some that I currently support:

National:
NRA
CCRKBA (http://www.ccrkba.org/): (Citizens right to Keep and Bear Arms)
Second Amendment Foundation (http://www.saf.org/). Files suit against government whenever it infringes

State:
Washington Arms Collectors (http://www.washingtonarmscollectors.org/).

Chieftain
11-09-08, 00:39
All the organizations have their place and are needed. But the NRA is the most important.

No other organization promotes shooting, training, Safety, youth programs LEO training and marksmanship programs than anyone else.

If you think just promoting the politics of guns is the only issue you are wrong. If promoting guns in all matters and walks of life is your goal, well no one can touch the NRA.

Most of the other groups honorably are just in the political fight.

It is also the oldest and largest civil rights organization in the world.

Go figure.

Fred

A-Bear680
11-09-08, 09:49
These organizations get very little media attention:

Another +1.

....(Snip)......

Here are some that I currently support:

National:
NRA
CCRKBA (http://www.ccrkba.org/): (Citizens right to Keep and Bear Arms)
Second Amendment Foundation (http://www.saf.org/). Files suit against government whenever it infringes

.....(Snip)......

That's because the media knows how good they are.
The Second Amendment Foundation and CCRKBA are very effective.
Check out their track record for court cases.

They work well with the NRA , but are completely independent. SAF/CCRKBA
may be the best bang for the buck of any of the rights organizations.

KintlaLake
11-09-08, 11:12
Support the organizations that support us, but I respectfully suggest that you make your financial support significant enough to make a difference with each organization.

If you've got the scratch to do that for NRA, GOA, CCRKBA, state-level GOROs, etc., then go for it. If not, pick a couple of organizations and back them with your membership and meaningful donations.

Example: In a former life (one I'd like to forget :rolleyes:), my ex threw chump-change at every animal-rights org on the planet. The result was that she was "supporting" lots of groups that shared her views, but she barely paid the postage for the mailings begging her to send more money.

Given my own situation today, I've chosen to support the NRA and the Buckeye Firearms Association. YMMV. :cool:

Buckaroo
11-09-08, 11:17
I just started the Easy-pay Lifetime memberships for myself and my four kids.

I figure there is no time like the present. (I plan to make payments quarterly rather than yearly.)

Buckaroo

mayonaise
11-09-08, 11:30
I would say both as well. That said I think the GOA does a better job of not wasting their resources and is more efficient in their use of our donations. Nothing against the NRA but they waste a ton of money IMO.

TimBob
11-09-08, 12:46
I just renewed my NRA membership which sadly, I had let lapse.

chadbag
11-09-08, 12:54
CCRKBA and SAF are VERY good organizations. Well worth your support.

NRA needs to be the number one with at least a membership as to the outside world the NRA *IS* the only thing and is a proxy for all gun owners. The bigger the NRA is the bigger crowd gun owners are to the rest of the world.

chadbag
11-09-08, 12:57
This website: http://www.keepandbeararms.com/

is run by SAF/CCRKBA and is often in need of donations to keep it running. They explain what they do and it is a good site.

Chad

Joe_Friday
11-10-08, 08:17
Alright, I know I am a heathen for this, but I let my NRA membership lapse about a year and a half ago and never renewed it. I know that they are front line warriors for us and I should never have let such an atrocity occur, but I got a little aggravated at all of the mail (at least twice a week) for the entire time I was a member. It was not so much recieving the mail but I thought that the money used for this could have been used for a better cause. Every once and a while fine but wow did they send mail. Anyway, I remember a while back a thread about getting them to stop sending mail but I cannot find it. I am renewing my membership today but I would like for them to NOT send all of the mail and use the money for other avenues. Thanks for the help

Hope I am not hi-jacking this thread. If so, apologies extended

CarlosDJackal
11-10-08, 10:42
Funny, I haven't received any mailers from the NRA until just before the elections. There is normally a way to stop these mailers but you'd have to call them or go through the mailers themselves to find out.

My guess is that they start sending your junk mail when your membership is about to expire. Since I renew mine for 3 or 5 years at a time (I forget which one), that may be why I don't get any of it except during elections and just before my membership expires.

On another note, I finally joined the GOA. I would not join them before because they spent most of their time slamming the NRA (much like the ASHA has been doing the past few months). If they spent their energy fighting gun control instead, imagine what they could have accomplished. I plan on canceling my membership if they start up with the in-fighting again.

adh
11-10-08, 18:27
NRA life member here...I love what GOA does with their emails! I can't believe that the NRA does not do the same with the legislative alerts with a link to the preformed letters linking to your reps in congress. NRA could reach so many more people than GOA currently does.