PDA

View Full Version : “Colt” serial number?

D.S. Brown
03-20-19, 14:46
So I stumbled upon a used Colt M4. I called Colt to see when it was manufactured, and they couldn’t find the gun at all. The serial number was LE676318, and the highest the guy saw was LE580***, the later was manufactured in 2017. The one I was looking at didn’t have the MPT stamped on the bolt, unlike the other one I bought used that was made in 2009

I guess I found it unusual that they couldn’t find the serial number in the data base, and That the bolt wasn’t stamped. I passed, didn’t really need it at the moment, and haven’t shot my first one nearly enough. Stay groovy![emoji41]✌️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bad aim
03-20-19, 14:49
That's weird. Could it possibly be that the lower was sold separately, and it didn't leave Colt as a complete rifle? Maybe the guy was just looking at completed rifles for the SN?

Brownells was moving a ton of Colt lowers for a while before Colt put an end to it.

Iraqgunz
03-20-19, 17:44
Pics are always useful.

So I stumbled upon a used Colt M4. I called Colt to see when it was manufactured, and they couldn’t find the gun at all. The serial number was LE676318, and the highest the guy saw was LE580***, the later was manufactured in 2017. The one I was looking at didn’t have the MPT stamped on the bolt, unlike the other one I bought used that was made in 2009

I guess I found it unusual that they couldn’t find the serial number in the data base, and That the bolt wasn’t stamped. I passed, didn’t really need it at the moment, and haven’t shot my first one nearly enough. Stay groovy![emoji41]✌️

RVTMaverick
03-21-19, 07:48
Pics are always useful.

Yeah,..... What's that about a picture being worth a 1,000 words? (^_^)

D.S. Brown
03-21-19, 09:18
Was able to get a hold of Colt Archives. It is one of their “Expanse” models manufactured in 2017. Thanks for the responses.[emoji41]✌️

RVTMaverick
03-21-19, 10:58
Cool... Hey D.S. Brown, if you don't mind me asking, how much were they wanting for it?
Was able to get a hold of Colt Archives. It is one of their “Expanse” models manufactured in 2017. Thanks for the responses.[emoji41]✌️

D.S. Brown
03-21-19, 11:16
$649

hvyhawler
03-21-19, 12:32
If you could get an Expanse model cheap enough, would it be a good platform to start with, upgrade parts ?

RVTMaverick
03-21-19, 14:09
Hey HvyHawler,<Dig your call sign<
I don't know about the Expanse, other than it's a COLT, so I am guessing it would be fine, but IMHO: There is quite a few to choose from but it also depends on what You are wanting and or looking to use it for? First thing I would say, is barrel twist rate, pass on anything that has a 1/9 and slower, and instead go for 1/8.

Let Me also say, IF the Expanse does in fact have a 1/8 twist rate, I would say it Should be a good candidate to UPGRADE.
$640.00 for the BASIC
Colt Firearms Expanse M4 5.56 / .223 Rem 16.1-inch 30Rds
OR Bump it up alittle for Magpul parts ... OR.... Check it out below... this is with just 5 minutes searching for you...
https://manage.hawksearch.com/sites/grabagun/link.aspx?id=3af37192-dcbd-4249-b342-208bd9217e99&q=https%3A//grabagun.com/colt-firearms-expanse-m4-magpul-5-56mm-30-1.html&i=1&pk=252149&mlt=0

Me.... I would take the Sig below before the Expanse! Plus she's got the 1/8 twist barrel... Expanse, I don't see it listed..

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/_p/GUN-RM400-16B-TRD.htm

If you could get an Expanse model cheap enough, would it be a good platform to start with, upgrade parts ?

Hey DS Brown, GOOD Thing You passed on the USED Expanse, It's what it costs NEW!