PDA

View Full Version : Teachers "shot" during drills

WillBrink
03-22-19, 12:27
I find this both funny and mildly inappropriate, but I "get" why they did it. It will no doubt make it real for the teachers but in today's snowflake world, this would make for butt hurt:

Teachers Reportedly Shot ‘Execution Style’ With Pellets In Active Shooter Drill

Four teachers were led into a room, told to kneel and then were shot with a pellet gun “execution style” and injured during an active shooter training at an Indiana elementary school in January, according to the Indiana State Teachers Association.

The association revealed the violent training tactic, which took place at the Meadowlawn Elementary School in Monticello, while testifying in support of House Bill 1004, which addresses school safety, before the state’s Senate Education Committee on Wednesday.

In an interview with the Indianapolis Star published Thursday, two of the teachers injured during the fake execution said local law enforcement, which was facilitating the training, told them to kneel against a wall in a classroom. They said they were shot with plastic pellets without warning.

The teachers’ injuries in the training including welts and bleeding, the union said. About 30 teachers were involved in the training, according to BuzzFeed.

“They told us, ‘This is what happens if you just cower and do nothing,’” one teacher told IndyStar, which did not name the teachers. “They shot all of us across our backs. I was hit four times. ... It hurt so bad.”

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/teachers-shot-active-shooter-drill_n_5c93fc99e4b0a6329e142b5a?ncid=engmodushpmg00000003&fbclid=IwAR1TpxZzMhKyY5r1rdax2XLjYDWkxzohkmkXP62-8-BRZHg2_N_w1f1ZwNo

Firefly
03-22-19, 12:50
I plan to leave this world the same way I came in....

Naked, kicking and screaming, and covered in someone else’s blood

SteyrAUG
03-22-19, 17:53
I'd be willing to bet the "pellets" were airsoft.

ETA: Yep, if you read it close "plastic pellets" which is airsoft. The same thing children shoot each other with during airsoft games. Leave it to Huffypo to exaggerate as much as possible.

Also is there a "non execution style" way of murdering unarmed people? I'd really like to learn the "non execution" method of killing people.

F-ing media.

MegademiC
03-22-19, 19:04
Welts and bleeding... oh the horror.

Harden the **** up and try to learn something, but no “i got an ouchie” is the biggest take-away.

WillBrink
03-22-19, 19:05

ETA: Yep, if you read it close "plastic pellets" which is airsoft. The same thing children shoot each other with during airsoft games. Leave it to Huffypo to exaggerate as much as possible.

Also is there a "non execution style" way of murdering unarmed people? I'd really like to learn the "non execution" method of killing people.

F-ing media.

But they were in such pain! Now simmunitions, those f-ers hurt!

Wake27
03-22-19, 19:07
That’s what happens when you’re a ****ing pussy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buncheong
03-22-19, 19:35
So much for good judgment.

This country is FUBAR as far as the eye can see.

Pappabear
03-22-19, 19:41
The whole thing is just so funny. I want to see the trigger puller in the act, you he know he was pounding his chest.

Blood and horror of Airsoft. Those little bitches do sting, but not like a 9mm.

PB

Diamondback
03-22-19, 20:10
Whiners Gonna Whine... when we did an Active Shooter wargame exercise at my college, EVERYBODY (granted, we were all volunteers, a mix of students and faculty/staff, and I had a couple buddies on the local PD help me write the Exercise Rules) came out scraped up, most bruised and a few of us a little bloody from kissing the pavement... we were using Airsoft guns and foam knives, but it was very definitely FULL Contact Sport.

SteyrAUG
03-22-19, 22:56
But they were in such pain! Now simmunitions, those f-ers hurt!

Yes they do. More importantly they are a little faster so you can't hear the shot and then duck like you can with airsoft. Simmunitions feel more real than anything I've ever done and this includes old school .38s loaded with wax rounds. But getting sims for personal use is actually harder than getting NFA stuff.

26 Inf
03-22-19, 23:23
But getting sims for personal use is actually harder than getting NFA stuff.

They've loosened up a bit, certified firearms instructors can go to an Simunitions instructor course: https://simunition.com/en/products/theme/civilian

SteyrAUG
03-23-19, 04:04
They've loosened up a bit, certified firearms instructors can go to an Simunitions instructor course: https://simunition.com/en/products/theme/civilian

I'm talking about getting them for personal training. Plenty of Sim Academies I can join if I want to pay a monthly fee.

26 Inf
03-23-19, 15:39
I'm talking about getting them for personal training. Plenty of Sim Academies I can join if I want to pay a monthly fee.

I got that. My thought was you could take the course, buy the gear and play.

Firefly
03-23-19, 16:04
By now I think we can outgrow the whole “just in it for hostages” bit.

An active shooter is going in fast. Most likely somebody is going to die regardless the once they get inside.

I don’t see why letting teachers voluntarily carry and carry radios is a bad thing. Seriously. F a loudspeaker or intercom.

Portable radios they check out before class and do radio checks every class change.

Make being an SRO a competitive assignment. Pay incentives, a little rank, and so on.

Have an officer’s room with a rifle, jump bag, and plate armor. Spare rifle in case they have to “deputize” on the spot.

A little target hardening goes a long way.

It doesn’t even have to be super militaristic. The first time it is successful then it will become standard. It will end the gun debate for schools.

Statistically, someone is going to shoot up another school.

Banning guns won’t change that. Armed resistance will.

Caduceus
03-23-19, 16:16

An active shooter is going in fast. Most likely somebody is going to die regardless the once they get inside.

I don’t see why letting teachers voluntarily carry and carry radios is a bad thing. Seriously. F a loudspeaker or intercom.

Portable radios they check out before class and do radio checks every class change.

Make being an SRO a competitive assignment. Pay incentives, a little rank, and so on.

Have an officer’s room with a rifle, jump bag, and plate armor. Spare rifle in case they have to “deputize” on the spot.

It doesn’t even have to be super militaristic. The first time it is successful then it will become standard. It will end the gun debate for schools.

Kind of like this? https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2019/02/13/school-hires-combat-vets-with-rifles-to-put-down-active-shooters/

Or Texas's idea: https://onenewsnow.com/national-security/2018/06/01/texas-armed-vets-retired-cops-to-guard-schools

Jellybean
03-23-19, 17:10
Yeah, I saw this the other day. the only thing I have to say is...wow.
You know how, in your own life, you know you're pretty low on the "OAF" totem pole, but occasionally you meet some simpering lackwit that makes you feel like Rambo?
I feel like that almost every day at some point for the last few years. Like... I am NOT a "hard" guy, but damn... every day I see some new shit that brings my threshold for "soft and pathetic" down by another notch.

You have a drill to emphasize the reality of a certain combat situation... and your takeaway is to complain and try to have laws put in place because it "hurt" a little?

....The union is urging state lawmakers to include language in the bill that would ban schools or districts from “conducting or authorizing an active shooter drill where any school employee or student may have any type of projectile fired at their person,” ISTA Vice President Keith Gambill said in a statement Thursday.....Gambill described the use of airsoft guns during the active shooter training as “fear-based” and “injurious.”

“Educators should never have to endure being fired at with pellets in an active shooter training,” he said.

I can't.
I can't live on this planet anymore.
TAKE ME NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://i.giphy.com/media/awuZ0tGdE6UXC/giphy.webp

SteyrAUG
03-23-19, 17:30
You have a drill to emphasize the reality of a certain combat situation... and your takeaway is to complain and try to have laws put in place because it "hurt" a little?

I guarantee you what actually hurt the most was they were made to understand and feel what it is like to be helpless and at the mercy of someone willing to hurt them.

It is still nothing compared to what happens in a real shooting, when you are looking at dead kids on the floor and you have surrendered and a real gun is now at the back of your head, but the fact that they had their "safety bubble" burst was probably the real injury. They probably believe they have PTSD now.

26 Inf
03-23-19, 18:20
Or Texas's idea: https://onenewsnow.com/national-security/2018/06/01/texas-armed-vets-retired-cops-to-guard-schools

From the article:

“The plan calls for a greater law enforcement presence throughout Texas schools by all means necessary,” Breitbart News reported. “This includes having officers use schools as a stop for ‘breaks, lunch, or to file reports.’”

Lots of luck with that, this is part of a 'Father McKensy' handout I wrote that went with my active shooter lecture:

Prevention: While the remainder of this handout will deal with actual response tactics, obviously preventing an active shooter situation from occurring is the best course of action for those we serve. Educating the public about the active shooter threat must be a significant component of intervention strategy.

Educators, classmates, co-workers, supervisors, or anyone in contact with other persons on a daily basis should be made aware of the indicators listed above and notify appropriate personnel when they become concerned that an individual has the potential for violence. Several studies of active shooter events have noted that in many events, especially school shootings, there was some indication of threat. In several cases, alertness of behalf of school staff or co-workers prevented an active shooter event.

The patrol officer can play a significant role in prevention beyond education. The frequent presence of uniformed patrol officers at random times may very well deter an attack. In addition to prevention, increased presence in a target location ups the likelihood that an officer will be present when an attack begins. Officers must be proactive in identifying potential targets of an active shooter, becoming familiar with the facility, and maintaining a visible presence at those locations.

Officer initiated interaction with the public we serve is something that is often talked about, yet rarely practiced by most officers. Officers should make a concerted effort to become 'one' with the people in their patrol area. Officers should feel comfortable asking in any contact 'have you seen anyone acting suspiciously?' or 'is there anything going on you think I need to know about?'

Active shooter incidents are very often the work of a disaffected person; however, a citizen observing surveillance of the target location may identify a terrorist event during the planning process. Being more accessible to the public increases the likelihood that citizens will report such observations to police.

My take, to many folks have the 'it's someone else's job' mentality, the best response is arming teachers and having other armed responders present during the school day - paid or volunteer.

How many retired folks do you know that would volunteer at a school to interact and help out if they could carry? I would be willing to sign up for a day a week.

Firefly
03-23-19, 19:16
We simply need better teachers

http://devildead.com/classof1999/classof199905.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/HP4HufM.gif

Boy Scout
03-23-19, 23:22
I guarantee you what actually hurt the most was they were made to understand and feel what it is like to be helpless and at the mercy of someone willing to hurt them.

It is still nothing compared to what happens in a real shooting, when you are looking at dead kids on the floor and you have surrendered and a real gun is now at the back of your head, but the fact that they had their "safety bubble" burst was probably the real injury. They probably believe they have PTSD now.

This right here, this is exactly the problem. What happened to fortitude? Survival instinct? Harden the F..k up

Buncheong
03-23-19, 23:46
Get rid of government-run schools.

They’re abject failures by every metric and an obscene waste of tax money. Most teachers are imbeciles.

Banning compulsory government indoctrination centers (and that’s what schools really are,) is the answer - not banning/restricting firearms.

Diamondback
03-24-19, 00:27

Fly, sometimes you're just plain whacked, but other times like this you whack it out of the park. :) Back when I was in college there were a few of us discreet CCW's on campus with Security's tacit approval, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who was told "if the shooting starts we're deputizing YOU on-the-spot." (It helped that some of 'em, all the way to Director of Campus Safety level, were shooting buddies.)

Det-Sog
03-24-19, 03:06
Simmunitions feel more real than anything I've ever done and this includes old school .38s loaded with wax rounds.

Yup.. One of my last SWAT training sessions before I quit, I tool one to the lower lip. I'd (almost) rather have taken a bare fisted punch from Mike Tyson. That explains why I didn't feel the one that just missed my groin and hit my inner thigh just right the ball-sack. Good thing I lean left and not right... Yeah, that was a rough day. Zig, not zag...

T2C
03-24-19, 13:29

I disagree with the pay and rank incentives for LEO. For a lot of agencies the SRO position is a dumping ground for people who do not want to perform field work or those who cannot cut it out in the field and administration uses the SRO position to hide them. This needs to stop. There should be a set rotation for the SRO positions in schools, two years or three years maximum, then back out on the street for at least that period of time or longer.

Issuing qualified teachers, who volunteer for the assignment, radios, sidearms, extra magazines and body armor that they can conceal on their person or somewhere nearby is a great idea. I think training other teachers, who volunteer for the assignment, in triage and advanced first aid techniques and issuing them the appropriate medical supplies would be a great idea. I don't agree with assigning volunteers to perform both tasks. The job of the armed volunteer is to minimize the threat and that should be their primary focus.

Whoever is on scene when the critical incident begins will most likely have to deal with it before personnel outside the school, church or workplace arrives.

SteyrAUG
03-24-19, 15:58
I disagree with the pay and rank incentives for LEO. For a lot of agencies the SRO position is a dumping ground for people who do not want to perform field work or those who cannot cut it out in the field and administration uses the SRO position to hide them. This needs to stop. There should be a set rotation for the SRO positions in schools, two years or three years maximum, then back out on the street for at least that period of time or longer.

Issuing qualified teachers, who volunteer for the assignment, radios, sidearms, extra magazines and body armor that they can conceal on their person or somewhere nearby is a great idea. I think training other teachers, who volunteer for the assignment, in triage and advanced first aid techniques and issuing them the appropriate medical supplies would be a great idea. I don't agree with assigning volunteers to perform both tasks. The job of the armed volunteer is to minimize the threat and that should be their primary focus.

Whoever is on scene when the critical incident begins will most likely have to deal with it before personnel outside the school, church or workplace arrives.

For all the education that supposedly happens in a school building, simply asking them "Wouldn't it be nice to have the option to shoot back" has far too many of them flustered.

JoshNC
03-24-19, 19:44

Excellent suggestions. Sadly, these are far too common sense for the school board and politicians to implement.

Firefly
03-24-19, 19:47

Well yeah but you know what I mean. It shouldn’t be a pasture job like evidence or quartermaster.

You need ripe officers. Not too young not too old but still a bit of a firepisser.

I agree it should be rotated. Lots of gang and drug intel in schools too

T2C
03-24-19, 22:15
Well yeah but you know what I mean. It shouldn’t be a pasture job like evidence or quartermaster.

You need ripe officers. Not too young not too old but still a bit of a firepisser.

I agree it should be rotated. Lots of gang and drug intel in schools too

All too often, D.A.R.E. and S.R.O. positions are filled with personnel who should be assigned to other positions. You need raw meat eaters who have enough diplomatic skills to work in a school environment. Even meat eaters should be rotated out on a regular basis.

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-26-19, 02:03
I plan to leave this world the same way I came in....

Naked, kicking and screaming, and covered in someone else’s blood

Naked, really?

F-ing media.

Cnn ran a video where the gun pictured was simunition but that Nerf knock-off with the round foam balls.

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/us/2019/03/22/indiana-teachers-active-shooter-drill-dan-holub-baldwin-nr-vpx.cnn

Talk about thin skinned....

Diamondback
03-26-19, 02:20
Naked, really?

Cnn ran a video where the gun pictured was simunition but that Nerf knock-off with the round foam balls.

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/us/2019/03/22/indiana-teachers-active-shooter-drill-dan-holub-baldwin-nr-vpx.cnn

Talk about thin skinned....

If we as a people are so weak that we can't shrug off Nerf, we are SOOOOOOOOOOOO ****ed... Dear God In Heaven, please help my people find their brains and their balls, or when the time comes for the Purge, help me and my brethren here get our loved ones safely out of the way first...

ZGXtreme
03-26-19, 10:40
There should be a set rotation for the SRO positions in schools, two years or three years maximum, then back out on the street for at least that period of time or longer.

Oh hell no. You couldn’t bump me up enough steps on the pay scale to work a school and all the drama that comes with it.