PDA

View Full Version : New toy

DoubleB223
03-22-19, 16:02
New Toy! Looking for a sight system and I cant seem to make up my mind. I know I want flip down sights and some kind of magnified sight. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190322/a03a1039540efa27f7285231a97d0914.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

GH41
03-22-19, 16:09
This is my new AR need some direction! https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190322/a03a1039540efa27f7285231a97d0914.jpg

Prepare for the hook.

titsonritz
03-22-19, 16:12
Oh boy, Facebook...:help:

MorphCross
03-22-19, 16:33
This is my new AR need some direction!

Attach sighting system, insert loaded magazine, and shoot until parts start to fail...

DoubleB223
03-22-19, 17:08
That's a great direction to go in.

rockapede
03-22-19, 17:10
Budget? Purpose?

03-22-19, 17:11
A couple polite suggestions, before somebody makes them more abruptly:

Post an intro here:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?8796-Welcome-to-M4C-Intro-Thread/page323&highlight=New%20member

You’ll need a more specific question about what you want to do with/to your rifle to get a viable answer.

Until then, do this:

Attach sighting system, insert loaded magazine, and shoot until parts start to fail...

DoubleB223
03-22-19, 17:17
Range/Hunting/all around use.

DoubleB223
03-22-19, 17:19
A couple polite suggestions, before somebody makes them more abruptly:

Post an intro here:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?8796-Welcome-to-M4C-Intro-Thread/page323&highlight=New%20member

You’ll need a more specific question about what you want to do with/to your rifle to get a viable answer.

Until then, do this:

I gotcha, my original post was on my phone and I wasn't done writing when my fat fingers hit the post button. I Know what Im wanting to do with it I was just posting for a general converstation on sights to use as hunting and on the range. Something that will work for up close and 200+ yards.

TomMcC
03-22-19, 17:43
Midwest Ind. Has some nice low pro irons. Look through the optics forum for some ideas on that subject.

03-22-19, 17:46
I gotcha, my original post was on my phone and I wasn't done writing when my fat fingers hit the post button. I Know what Im wanting to do with it I was just posting for a general converstation on sights to use as hunting and on the range. Something that will work for up close and 200+ yards.
3 ideas. I lean toward the third idea for general use and hunting.

DD A1.5 fixed sights, Aimpoint PRO, ADM lower 1/3 mount

DD fixed front or Magpul MBUS, Magpul MBUS rear, Aimpoint PRO

Steiner P4xi with a good, solid mount, flip up offset irons for backup.

A2 flash hider.

Edit: Welcome to M4c!

DoubleB223
03-22-19, 17:51
Midwest Ind. Has some nice low pro irons. Look through the optics forum for some ideas on that subject.

Ok, thanks for the advice!

DoubleB223
03-22-19, 17:55
3 ideas. I lean toward the third idea for general use and hunting.

DD A1.5 fixed sights, Aimpoint PRO, ADM lower 1/3 mount

DD fixed front or Magpul MBUS, Magpul MBUS rear, Aimpoint PRO

Steiner P4xi with a good, solid mount, flip up offset irons for backup.

A2 flash hider.

Edit: Welcome to M4c!

A lot of information in this post! Thanks for all the suggestions. Ill will be writing these down and doing some searching online, and thank you

Also because Im unsure about it, whats wrong with the flash hider I have? Or the compositor that is on it already?

03-22-19, 18:23
A lot of information in this post! Thanks for all the suggestions. Ill will be writing these down and doing some searching online, and thank you

Also because Im unsure about it, whats wrong with the flash hider I have? Or the compositor that is on it already?

My reason for suggesting the A2 flash suppressor is selfish. I hate shooting next to people with brakes because they are loud.

DoubleB223
03-22-19, 18:43
My reason for suggesting the A2 flash suppressor is selfish. I hate shooting next to people with brakes because they are loud.

Oh I gotcha, I was in the military and only shot with an A2 hider so my only experience is with those. So Im kind of interested in how it sounds.

Pappabear
03-22-19, 18:43
You really gotta give us a budget, or we are going to say the N word and F word, NightForce 1-8

PB

DoubleB223
03-22-19, 18:48
You really gotta give us a budget, or we are going to say the N word and F word, NightForce 1-8

PB

Well, Im trying to keep it within reason. The flip sights that @1168 recommended both MBUS and DD were great suggestions. Not trying to reinvent the wheel here just looking for some good quality products that aren't going to cause my wife to ask questions when it shows up at the door.

DoubleB223
03-22-19, 18:52
@PB had to look up the NightForce 1-8 and thats a little extreme. Lets keep the suggestions well below the NF!

Eurodriver
03-22-19, 19:04
That rifle is just begging for a Schmidt and Bender 1-8 short dot.

DoubleB223
03-22-19, 19:10

yeah, thats a little high as well. But thanks for the suggestion.

ABNAK
03-22-19, 19:21

You a funny man! :no:

Mr McSimon
03-22-19, 19:24
Troy or Magpul Pro BUIS, Surefire or (Streamlight on a budget) white light, Steiner P4Xi LPV on a Geissele, ADM, or (Warne on a budget) mount.

Pappabear
03-22-19, 19:46
Ok, for real, you could get a Vortex 1-6 or 1-8 and have a lot of fun. Buy a mount, Warne unimount from Botach (make sure it shows in stock $89). Could get a Vortex unmount as well. Even a 1-4 is a good start.

A Burris 1-8 would be a upgrade from Vortex.

Another option is a Sig Romeo RDS, under $150 and will get a red dot.

PB

DoubleB223
03-22-19, 19:59
Troy or Magpul Pro BUIS, Surefire or (Streamlight on a budget) white light, Steiner P4Xi LPV on a Geissele, ADM, or (Warne on a budget) mount.

Ok, Ill have to look into those. Thanks ;)

TomMcC
03-22-19, 20:26
Buy any of the irons mentioned, mount them, score some decent 55g FMJ, sight in your rifle, shoot some groups....while you're doing this for a while, study the scope issue. Be patient.

MorphCross
03-22-19, 21:04
The territory you will be hunting in will effect your decision on how much magnification you will need in your optic.

Once you determine that both you and us can work towards a solution.

DoubleB223
03-22-19, 21:15
The territory you will be hunting in will effect your decision on how much magnification you will need in your optic.

Once you determine that both you and us can work towards a solution.

Well I live in northeastern KY. So most of its open fields with some wooded areas. I dont feel Ill be taking any shots over 300yards. But it could happen. I used iron sights during my time in the military and then the ole trusty ACOG. Ill be honest Id like to get my hands on one of those.

GH41
03-23-19, 07:09
Well I live in northeastern KY. So most of its open fields with some wooded areas. I dont feel Ill be taking any shots over 300yards. But it could happen. I used iron sights during my time in the military and then the ole trusty ACOG. Ill be honest Id like to get my hands on one of those.

What are you hunting??

_Stormin_
03-23-19, 07:51
The ACOG is a combat sight that doesn't actually do a lot of things well. There is a great thread on here in the Optics forum that goes into all of the limitations and why some of our most knowledgeable shooters (and also vets) love them and hate them at the same time. For civilian use they're more "tacticool" than useful. For what you would spend on it you really would be better served with a decent 1-4 or 1-8 rifle scope. I may have missed it, but what's your optics budget?

DoubleB223
03-23-19, 08:23
What are you hunting??Deer, coyote, mostly

DoubleB223
03-23-19, 08:24
The ACOG is a combat sight that doesn't actually do a lot of things well. There is a great thread on here in the Optics forum that goes into all of the limitations and why some of our most knowledgeable shooters (and also vets) love them and hate them at the same time. For civilian use they're more "tacticool" than useful. For what you would spend on it you really would be better served with a decent 1-4 or 1-8 rifle scope. I may have missed it, but what's your optics budget?Prob around 3-4hundred. I've already bought some flip down sights.

markm
03-23-19, 09:18
An LBGT-Q/LPVO is mandatory at this point.

Firefly
03-23-19, 10:29
An LBGT-Q/LPVO is mandatory at this point.

Ohh I wish that was one of mine.

An ACOG can be good if you accept it for what it is. A step above iron sights and squinting that is rugged towards neglect.

Otherwise for your own money a 1-4 can be had for same price and even Trijicon makes them.

I saw an article in American Rifleman where homeboy put a 3-9 on a weaver mount on his CAR-15 so really this variable power on a carbine is settled science and more accessible than ever

ETA don’t over think BUIS. I have magpuls on my M110K1 clone. I WAS going to get KAC tactical practical sights but really these do the same thing when I use them which is never.

GH41
03-23-19, 18:42
Deer, coyote, mostly

Deer at 300 yards?? I hope you have plenty of time to look for them unless you just want to put a hole in them and let them die in the next county. Hunting deer at 300 yards with 223/556 is irresponsible IMO. You never mentioned the rifle build. Maybe you are ashamed of it's pedigree. Let's say it is good and it shoots 1.5 MOA with decent ammunition. Maybe you can hold another 1.5 MOA at 300 with an improvised rest but I doubt it. Your chances of dropping a deer in its tracks at 300 yards are slim to none! Attempting stunts like this is what gives hunters bad rep.

MorphCross
03-23-19, 19:22
How often are you going to be able to get out to shoot varying size targets at 300 yards? If your eyesight is good and you practice shooting at these distances regularly then I would not see a problem. Projectile selection for hunting deer with 5.56/.223 will play a key role so practicing with your choice of load to know how much it is effected by wind and temperature will be an important factor. Spend some time in the Terminal Ballistics and Hunting section of this forum.

Being honest I would take more time to get money together for glass that will give you the greatest sharpness and visual clarity.

Hammer_Man
03-23-19, 20:29
Sportsman's Warehouse is clearing out Leupold VX-R patrol scopes right now. The 3-9 model is priced at $499 if I recall correctly.

grizzlyblake
03-23-19, 22:58
Brownells has Viper PST II 1-6s for $599 with a Brownells branded Warne mount.

What kind of gun is that anyway?