PDA

View Full Version : Firearms industry add content

Ned Christiansen
03-24-19, 22:25
I recently got an upgrade on how I get TV, so have been able to watch some gun-oriented programming. I'm dismayed that much of the advertising for firearms uses badassery as a carrier. I guess they know what sells guns, but.... I just find it irritating and even a little insulting. Am I alone in this?

I bet I'm alone in this: I enjoy ads and segments with Larry Potterfield. No beard / tattoo / tactimax-ness perhaps, but.... a sharp guy for sure and something different in terms of gun-biz personalities. I like him.

SteyrAUG
03-24-19, 23:05
You are not alone.

Firefly
03-24-19, 23:12
I would appeal to the fun side.

F "badassery" F "machismo"

I would have this couple. The woman MUST be blonde, 36 C cup, EXACTLY 31 years old. The man shouuld be maybe 35, glasses, a kinda middle class guy
Not nerdy but settled wearing business casual ....and they are having playful banter.

"wanna do it loud...or quiet?"
"Well I don't want to bother the neighbors."
"It's safer this way anyways" the female says as she playfully unzips something unseen
"Here...put it on. Lets have some fun."
The man grins impishly as he adjusts something below our sight level

he has mounted a suppressor and they begin shooting popper targets behind their country home.

The 80s soul song "I'd still say yes" by Klymaxx plays ambiently throughout.

I HAVE THE ANSWERS PEOPLE! I KNOS HOW TO REACH OTHERS!

It is because I kbow what I can never hsve that I know what people want

They want comfort. They want a safe way to feel "dirty" They want their heteronormative lifestyles accepted and reinforced.

People still watch the nigh 30 year old polar bear coke commercial because it makes them feel like every day is a guarantee

Honu
03-24-19, 23:16
you are not alone :) IMHO if anything it often kinda makes me think I wont deal with that kinda company if I can :) so it actually does the opposite

much like the idiot (male or female) that is to loud to cool to much attention anyplace one goes that turns me off I think of them the same way

TRYING TO HARD

Firefly
03-24-19, 23:47
I also know how to market HK.

SCREW ALL THE NAVY SEALS COMING OUT THE WATER!

SCENE. A Porsche comes barreling onto a rather austere Autumnal shooting range.

FOOT FOCUS on sockless power heel show clacking harshly onto concrete. A super bitchy looking and expressionless woman steps adroitly out and pulls out an HK 762. The 1984 UK Single version of Who Wants To Be a Millionaire by ABC blares authoritatively as this bitchy and unaccessable woman in fitted pantsuit and heels emphasizing the veins in her feet clack clack clacks to the firing line. She places two expensive earbuds in. She is also wearing violet mirror shades as she sights in her rifle.

Ending scene is her standing imperially as leaves fall behind her in slow motion as the song hits that one harsh spot.

She's also wearing a Tag Heuer

hotrodder636
03-25-19, 00:59
The bearded tacticool thing has run its time by now. I am surprised it is still a thing.

Firefly, I like the Porsche and HK dealio.

SteyrAUG
03-25-19, 02:39

FOOT FOCUS on sockless power heel show clacking harshly onto concrete. A super bitchy looking and expressionless woman steps adroitly out and pulls out an HK 762. The 1984 UK Single version of Who Wants To Be a Millionaire by ABC blares authoritatively as this bitchy and unaccessable woman in fitted pantsuit and heels emphasizing the veins in her feet clack clack clacks to the firing line. She places two expensive earbuds in. She is also wearing violet mirror shades as she sights in her rifle.

Ending scene is her standing imperially as leaves fall behind her in slow motion as the song hits that one harsh spot.

Honestly, the best advertising that HK ever received was courtesy of the SAS in 1980.

The bearded tacticool thing has run its time by now. I am surprised it is still a thing.

Yeah, if you're not Kyle Lamb then you should knock it off already, and even Lamb spends half of his show hunting.

But two things drive me the most crazy...

1. Slow motion footage of the action of the gun when firing, it was cool the first time and now it's just annoying.

2. That guy from Front Sight who can't hold any firearm correctly and insists on keeping his thumb on the same side of the receiver as his shooting hand no matter what firearm he is actually shooting. I'm sure he's a good shot, but drives me up the effin wall.

Both are regular features on Gun Stories.

Also hate the snappy, robotic moves people insist on doing while they are shooting. For example when they are done double tapping an AR, they immediately snap it to a 45 degree canted angle because they once saw a Navy Seal do it and then snap to a low ready. Almost reminds me of people pop locking / break dancing but with firearms. It's even more retarded when done with a Costa "hand behind the front sight" hold.

Just shoot for speed and accuracy, we don't give points for style. It's not interpretive dance. Ben Stoeger is truly one of the greatest shooters I've ever seen because he would crush Hackathorn drills wearing shorts and flip flops.

docsherm
03-25-19, 06:55

I would have this couple. The woman MUST be blonde, 36 C cup, EXACTLY 31 years old. The man shouuld be maybe 35, glasses, a kinda middle class guy
Not nerdy but settled wearing business casual ....and they are having playful banter.

"It's safer this way anyways" the female says as she playfully unzips something unseen

he has mounted a suppressor and they begin shooting popper targets behind their country home.

They want comfort. They want a safe way to feel "dirty" They want their heteronormative lifestyles accepted and reinforced.

People still watch the nigh 30 year old polar bear coke commercial because it makes them feel like every day is a guarantee

That works for me... but she needs to be a redhead..... :)

Firefly
03-25-19, 07:45

No! NO!

The redhead is used to sell Glock and she must be Bella Thorne

https://media.glamour.com/photos/56e1f8d0bebf143c52615034/master/w_1500,h_1936,c_limit/beauty-2016-02-bella-thorne-brown-hair-main.jpg

Dont F with me on this, Doc. I love you man but I have this tapline to fetishry that mpst dont.

it is my superpower

MegademiC
03-25-19, 07:47
I recently got an upgrade on how I get TV, so have been able to watch some gun-oriented programming. I'm dismayed that much of the advertising for firearms uses badassery as a carrier. I guess they know what sells guns, but.... I just find it irritating and even a little insulting. Am I alone in this?

I bet I'm alone in this: I enjoy ads and segments with Larry Potterfield. No beard / tattoo / tactimax-ness perhaps, but.... a sharp guy for sure and something different in terms of gun-biz personalities. I like him.

Agree. I really liked the look of new SIG rifles and was considering one... until I saw their “movies”.

I think thats one of the things that draws people to Q. They’re marketing is the opposite of the industry right now.

SomeOtherGuy
03-25-19, 07:52
Some enterprising company needs to turn this into their commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIvadJNbO4U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIvadJNbO4U

03-25-19, 09:09

I’d probably buy that suppressor.

Stickman
03-25-19, 09:46
The woman MUST be blonde, 36 C cup, EXACTLY 31 years old.

Sounds like Bonnie....

She isn't a redhead, and she is a large C, but seems right on the mark. Regarding guys, if I have to see a dude for marketing, show someone who looks like a Ranger. The gay logger look is horrible, and that is what is typically shown instead of an ODA guy. Anyway, less talk about guys, and more about Bonnie or redheads...

https://66.media.tumblr.com/21a1e8c611c4c51b999044753ee1723b/tumblr_postji96GD1rrcg2fo1_1280.jpg

Firefly
03-25-19, 10:08
Okay Bonnie is in that zone. Just give her slightly longer “mom” hair. But not frumpy. Also a sweater. Maybe a cardigan.

Breast size is highly important and specific because the breasts must be large enough to attract men but not too large so as to turn off other women with breast envy.

Per the gay logger look, I firmly believe that is because most dudes are fat and lazy these days and eat too much soy.

I also want Latin girls to sell Single Action revolvers and leather actions. With long straight hair and that right color of Meso-American brown.

I will offer my marketing expertise for Mr. Pibb, Rip Its, and all the 168 FGMM I can fit in a U Haul.

I also want nerdy cute girls in glasses to market scopes.

I have spent a lot of time on this

Adrenaline_6
03-25-19, 10:12
Good news for your FF. Bella Thorne is really a blonde. She can dual role in this bitch.

....although Bonnie works just fine.

pinzgauer
03-25-19, 10:13

I think of them as the new mullets.

I'm sure there are exceptions, but pretty much all the folks I run into sporting the look never served. When the hipster community college art major has co-opted your look, you know it's past. (Including a nephew)

The few I know who were in big name units may have tats, but view the bearded macklmore look as silly. (Including a past boss who was a "SF baby")

Firefly
03-25-19, 10:23
Good news for your FF. Bella Thorne is really a blonde. She can dual role in this bitch.

....although Bonnie works just fine.

Bella Thorne is the only current white girl now I show any regard for

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/06/09/23/4D17728800000578-5825327-image-a-8_1528582116126.jpg

Norseman
03-25-19, 10:33
No Ned, you are not alone. And , to a degree I think it is doing more harm than good to the gun community as a whole.

Adrenaline_6
03-25-19, 11:14
Bella Thorne is the only current white girl now I show any regard for

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/06/09/23/4D17728800000578-5825327-image-a-8_1528582116126.jpg

Out of all the pics out there that has got to be the least flattering, but I understand you have your fetishes FF and you do you.

More most everyones speed:http://thefappening2015.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Bella-Thorne-See-Through-1.jpg

Ned Christiansen
03-25-19, 11:57
Wow looks like I unwittingly uncorked some pent-up angst here!

Firefly, whatever you are doing, you missed your calling. YOU should be the $220 K / year ad exec.... better yet the name-your-own-price freelancer the FI industry will do anything to hire! With some of the other guys here an effective ad agency could be stood up! Well, maybe. I mean I too know what I'd like to see, very specifically but I do think it's possible these outfits shape ads to fit the demographics and returned surveys, numbers that don't lie although we ourselves may be outliers. I just don't know. Sex in advertising, all for it, but there again, if it becomes more than a flavor-adding ingredient, it becomes overbearing and there you are, you've taken badassery out and replaced it with sex and so once again you're not selling your product based on its merits or the merits of gun ownership.

Loving the responses. I feel validated... :-)

MorphCross
03-25-19, 13:25
More advertisers need to show people of all walks of life having safe fun using firearms.

Along a similar vein demonstrating a positive defensive use that bridges a gap between conservatives and social Libertarians: Two women and two children enter an outdoor range facility. The visibly younger of the two women is carrying both a range bag and a rifle case. In the next scene you see the older of the two women wrangling eye and ear protection onto the two kids (and putting some on herself) while the younger women gets her light profile barrel AR out of its case along with a polymer framed wonder nine of any flavor. She sets up a variety of bullseye targets at varying distances. Multi angle cut takes from both behind the target as well as looking at the targets as they are being shot. Next scene shows her taking off her hearing protection and setting it on the bench amongst fired casings and unfired rounds. The wonder nine has a visible coat of carbon while the AR is gently letting off smoke from cooked clp. Camera is behind her as she turns around. She isn't smiling, she isn't frowning. She simply has a look of placid self-determination. Ad closes out with the brand of rifle or wonder nine. No byline. Just that.

Norseman
03-25-19, 14:29
I get the fact that in today's highly saturated firearms marketplace there has to be some form of spin to stay somewhat relevant. But it sure seems like a lot of it is starting to have a "zombie horde" type quality to it that was (unfortunately) so popular a number of years ago. Some of it is just off putting and sets a false premise.

But what the heck do I know, I'm a nobody. But, as a consumer, there is a lot of this stuff that I just tune out, it just has become to much "silliness".

AKDoug
03-25-19, 14:31
Wow looks like I unwittingly uncorked some pent-up angst here!

Firefly, whatever you are doing, you missed your calling. YOU should be the $220 / year ad exec.... better yet the name-your-own-price freelancer the FI industry will do anything to hire! With some of the other guys here an effective ad agency could be stood up! Well, maybe. I mean I too know what I'd like to see, very specifically but I do think it's possible these outfits shape ads to fit the demographics and returned surveys, numbers that don't lie although we ourselves may be outliers. I just don't know. Sex in advertising, all for it, but there again, if it becomes more than a flavor-adding ingredient, it becomes overbearing and there you are, you've taken badassery out and replaced it with sex and so once again you're not selling your product based on its merits or the merits of gun ownership.

Loving the responses. I feel validated... :-)

I'm so done with gun culture. I don't watch gun shows. I don't want to take run and gun classes anymore. I separated from Friends of NRA fundraising. I quit being the President and board member of my local gun range. I bought my own 57 acres and built my own range. I've had my fill of Fudds, Tactical Tommies, conspiracy theorists, and whiners. Not to mention vets with no combat experience telling me how it works on a two way range, and pompous assholes telling me I shouldn't carry a firearm if I'm overweight.

My support of the 2nd remains unwavering. I would support ads that show the normal every day Americans using firearms. We make up the vast majority of users, and the least visible in media and at the range.

kerplode
03-25-19, 14:40
Firearms ads are ghey. And dumb.

I fast-forward past all that crap until I get to Uncle Larry, then I hit play again and let him teach me how to lovingly craft black-powder loads for my .57 Oldasfuk or how to convert my rusty old low-wall into cheap-to-shoot 357 magnum using nothing more than a spotless shop stocked with a half-million dollars of machine tools and pair of +4 eyeglass lenses.

He's Larry Potterfield and that's the way it is, god-damnit! If you don't believe him, you can go **** yourself.

kerplode
03-25-19, 15:31
Here's my pitch:

A lumberjack stands in a booth at an indoor range, tactically shooting tactical targets. Another lumberjack walks into frame. He enters the booth next to Lumberjack #1 and sets down his case. Zoom to him unzipping the case...Slowly...Tactically. Lumberjack #1 glances over as Lumberjack #2 slides out his weapon. Their eyes meet. Tactically. Lumberjack #1 gives a tactical "What's up" and strokes his beard. Lumberjack #2 gives him a knowing smile. They're shooting the same pistol. Scene cuts to Lumberjack #1 holding the door to the men's room open for Lumberjack #2. They enter. Door closes. Scene cuts to black. Sig Logo.

Then Uncle Larry shows us how to tighten the lock-up on our $254,000 Purdy side-by-side.

WickedWillis
03-25-19, 15:50
Honestly, the best advertising that HK ever received was courtesy of the SAS in 1980.

Yeah, if you're not Kyle Lamb then you should knock it off already, and even Lamb spends half of his show hunting.

But two things drive me the most crazy...

1. Slow motion footage of the action of the gun when firing, it was cool the first time and now it's just annoying.

2. That guy from Front Sight who can't hold any firearm correctly and insists on keeping his thumb on the same side of the receiver as his shooting hand no matter what firearm he is actually shooting. I'm sure he's a good shot, but drives me up the effin wall.

Both are regular features on Gun Stories.

Also hate the snappy, robotic moves people insist on doing while they are shooting. For example when they are done double tapping an AR, they immediately snap it to a 45 degree canted angle because they once saw a Navy Seal do it and then snap to a low ready. Almost reminds me of people pop locking / break dancing but with firearms. It's even more retarded when done with a Costa "hand behind the front sight" hold.

Just shoot for speed and accuracy, we don't give points for style. It's not interpretive dance. Ben Stoeger is truly one of the greatest shooters I've ever seen because he would crush Hackathorn drills wearing shorts and flip flops.

The thumb on the same side as your trigger finger is something I have seen popping up lately all over social media and Youtube. Definitely a industry pet peeve of mine right now too. I thought I was alone in that

Doc Safari
03-25-19, 16:24
No! NO!

The redhead is used to sell Glock and she must be Bella Thorne

https://media.glamour.com/photos/56e1f8d0bebf143c52615034/master/w_1500,h_1936,c_limit/beauty-2016-02-bella-thorne-brown-hair-main.jpg

Dont F with me on this, Doc. I love you man but I have this tapline to fetishry that mpst dont.

it is my superpower

I'll take Anne-Marie Rhodes for $200, Alex. Pity she left Davidson's Gallery of Guns. Pregnancy I think. Downgraded my cable bill and flushed those channels upon learning this. Goodbye gun TV. Without Anne-Marie Rhodes and R. Lee Ermey ya just ain't the same. Although Michelle Viscusi once in a blue moon is eye candy, too. Not worth paying extra for those channels anymore, though. I counted, lessee, ZERO bad reviews of something on those shows. Amazing record of only showing off perfect stuff. That's when you realize Guns and Ammo, Gun Stories, etc., are all just infomercials. Didn't mean to burst the bubble.

Here's how I "F" with you, Firefly. I know a local girl who's a dead ringer for Bella Thorne. Dead. F.**ng. Ringer.

The_War_Wagon
03-25-19, 16:34
I think Mat Best should make firearm commercials. Not only would they be more entertaining than the shows, I'd quite likely buy whatever he's hawking - maybe even a Glock! :jester:

Doc Safari
03-25-19, 16:36
I think the last time I really enjoyed the firearms channels was back when R. Lee Ermey did the Glock commercial where he hears a burglar, gets out of bed, grabs his pistol, looks at the camera, and says, "Somebody picked the wrong house."

It's been same-old-same-old since then.

Diamondback
03-25-19, 17:03
Maybe a MILF brunette, librarian glasses... ;)

docsherm
03-25-19, 17:34
Maybe a MILF brunette, librarian glasses... ;)

I like the way you think. ;)

Diamondback
03-25-19, 17:49
I like the way you think. ;)

Except for the fact that I don't do pinkos, my girlfriend has actually given me a permission slip to nail Tina Fey, as long as I bring a gal for her to play with too. LOL

Pappabear
03-25-19, 20:03
Advertising in general is grossly painful. I love a good entertaining commercial and hate most others. Hate hate hate most.
Red Heads work , FYI

PB

Big A
03-26-19, 08:16
Okay Bonnie is in that zone. Just give her slightly longer “mom” hair. But not frumpy. Also a sweater. Maybe a cardigan.

Breast size is highly important and specific because the breasts must be large enough to attract men but not too large so as to turn off other women with breast envy.

Per the gay logger look, I firmly believe that is because most dudes are fat and lazy these days and eat too much soy.

I also want Latin girls to sell Single Action revolvers and leather actions. With long straight hair and that right color of Meso-American brown.

I will offer my marketing expertise for Mr. Pibb, Rip Its, and all the 168 FGMM I can fit in a U Haul.

I also want nerdy cute girls in glasses to market scopes.

I have spent a lot of time on this

Ok, I need you to give me an ad with Antonia Okafor or someone similar please and thank you.

Firefly
03-26-19, 08:31
Ok, I need you to give me an ad with Antonia Okafor or someone similar please and thank you.

Brown Sugar by the Stones plays as she struts chest out in a way too tight dress, D&G sunglasses, and open toed shoes towards a table on the Caribbean beach and she opens a case whereupon an LMT MRP is contained. She has an excited look of feral, yet feminine glee as she gently picks it up, charges it and we get and underview shot of her firing it. We get a nice cut to her feet as it slowly pans up as she has it in a low slung position and slowly brings the back of her hand to her head as she arches backward in a slowed down motion as we see a streak of sunlight and bright aqua blue skies

Big A
03-26-19, 08:48
Brown Sugar by the Stones plays as she struts chest out in a way too tight dress, D&G sunglasses, and open toed shoes towards a table on the Caribbean beach and she opens a case whereupon an LMT MRP is contained. She has an excited look of feral, yet feminine glee as she gently picks it up, charges it and we get and underview shot of her firing it. We get a nice cut to her feet as it slowly pans up as she has it in a low slung position and slowly brings the back of her hand to her head as she arches backward in a slowed down motion as we see a streak of sunlight and bright aqua blue skies

I can literally hear the waves crashing on the beach...

mark5pt56
03-26-19, 18:36
I find it kind of funny in a sense with the adds and how people are "supposed" to look like. Those of you who truly know people who have or are still doing the work, they don't dress up and scream "I have a gun"

I think it's like anything else, if it's over played, stressed, practiced whatever, one will get consumed with it and eventually tire of it. I had a range trip the other day and it was rather enjoyable, it was the first time in over 20 years that I shot a precision rifle on a bench. I then continued with the .22 rifle (CZ455 Varmint) and had some plain old fun with it. Heck, I might get back into .22 pistol benchrest!

Me, I would like to see Jennifer Lopez with a G42 in a inner thigh rig. I was always hoping they would have here in that get up on Shades of Blue.

MegademiC
03-26-19, 22:30
Firearms ads are ghey. And dumb.

I fast-forward past all that crap until I get to Uncle Larry, then I hit play again and let him teach me how to lovingly craft black-powder loads for my .57 Oldasfuk or how to convert my rusty old low-wall into cheap-to-shoot 357 magnum using nothing more than a spotless shop stocked with a half-million dollars of machine tools and pair of +4 eyeglass lenses.

He's Larry Potterfield and that's the way it is, god-damnit! If you don't believe him, you can go **** yourself.

This. Poetically stated version of my take on the situation.

The bold is gold.

AndyLate
03-27-19, 06:21
The firearms industry can hardly run an ad showing a bunch of fat or skinny dudes derping at a public range to win the admiration of their buddies or their fat girlfriends - boyfriends - wives - partners, even though that is their target audience.

The industry has to feed the Walter Mitty in so many of us because if we all only bought the guns we need, they would not sell a lot of firearms.

Andy

vandal5
03-27-19, 15:06

Sounds good, but can you tell me what the model of Porsche is? This will make or break it for me.

Firefly
03-27-19, 15:20
Sounds good, but can you tell me what the model of Porsche is? This will make or break it for me.

A 2020 911