PDA

View Full Version : CZ 75 P-01 vs 75 D. What is the difference?

kwelz
03-25-19, 17:11
My LGS just purchased a lot of guns at an estate sale.

In there are a number of CZs I am interested in.

However I can't seem to find the difference here between the two. They seem identical except for the markings on the slide and that the P-01 has a stainless finish on the barrel.

Could anyone fill me in on the differences here?

TomMcC
03-25-19, 17:33
Deleted. After looking at both...I dont know.

Sam
03-25-19, 17:36
Both have decocking levers.

The P01 is compact size, shorter grip and shorter barrel, with a dust cover that has accessory rail. 2 rounds less than the full size gun, if I remember correctly.

The 75D is basically the full size 75 with a decocker, no rail, conventional dust cover.

kwelz
03-25-19, 17:51
Both are the compact models. I could have sworn I typed that but obviously didn't .

I seriously can't tell the difference here.

Don Quijote
03-25-19, 18:40
They are the same pistol with different markings. The P-01 doesn't have a stainless "finish" on the barrel. It IS stainless steel left in the white. The 75D Compact's barrel is the same but it's blackened (how I don't know).

Get whichever one is cheaper.

A P-01 is my every day companion and it's stupid accurate and easy to shoot sub .2 splits with. Don't make the mistake of putting thin grips on it. Keep the rubbers and learn to draw with them. Trust me on this.

Sam
03-26-19, 06:20
Both are the compact models. I could have sworn I typed that but obviously didn't .

I seriously can't tell the difference here.

Ah, I was thinking of the 75BD.

https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-75-bd-9mm-black-16-rd-mags/

I agree with Quijote that they're basically the same gun.

Arik
03-26-19, 09:33
Is one steel one aluminum?

TomMcC
03-26-19, 10:17
Is one steel one aluminum?

That's what I thought at first, but then I found out they are both steel, thus the delete on my post.

Arik
03-26-19, 10:27
In that case I'd call CZ

ramairthree
03-26-19, 15:19
Most of the time, the PO1 has a rail and the 75 Compact does not.

There are some PO1s that have a 75 Compact marked slide.

Usually they have alloy frames, some seek the lesser common steel framed ones.

Your action choices are DA/SA with safety, no decocker,
DA/SA D, with no safety,
And Omega,
Where you can swap between the two.

Just when you think you have CZ model numbers, nomenclatures, what is available with what action, markings, etc. worked out,
Examples pop up not IAW those rules.

dwhitehorne
03-26-19, 15:56
That's what I thought at first, but then I found out they are both steel, thus the delete on my post.

All PO1’s are aluminum frames. The 75D is also aluminum. The PCR (decocker no rail) has 75D on the slide also. Sometimes CZ has been crazy on their markings depending on the contract market (Europe/USA) over the years. David

TomMcC
03-26-19, 16:07
Sorry about that...I meant to say they were both aluminum.

dwhitehorne
03-26-19, 16:15
Not an expert on CZ barrels but some are plain and others have a nitride type coating that turns the barrel dark during the process. 20 years ago when I first go into CZ’s all the barrels were dark and we would polish them silver once the barrel hood started to show wear. I’m guess both pistols are essential the same. Out of the box CZ factory triggers can vary. If they let you dry fire them I would pick the one with the better single action pull. David

Don Quijote
03-27-19, 07:30
Out of the box CZ factory triggers can vary. If they let you dry fire them I would pick the one with the better single action pull. David

I wouldn't worry too much about that. Improving a CZ trigger is stupid easy with Cajun Gun Works Short Reset Kit and reduced power trigger reset spring.

My 75BD (used mostly for USPSA and IDPA) has a DIY 6.5 lb DA and 3 lb SA with the parts I mentioned above and polishing of all bearing surfaces.

My P-01's trigger is 3/4 lb heavier mostly because I haven't torn it down and gone to town with 600 and 2000 grit.

sundance435
03-27-19, 08:01
All PO1’s are aluminum frames. The 75D is also aluminum. The PCR (decocker no rail) has 75D on the slide also. Sometimes CZ has been crazy on their markings depending on the contract market (Europe/USA) over the years. David

Weren't a small number of P-01s made with steel frames? Shouldn't the 75D have a steel frame, as well?

Don Quijote
03-27-19, 08:52
Weren't a small number of P-01s made with steel frames?Yes, and they were never CZ-USA catalog items

Shouldn't the 75D have a steel frame, as well?Not necessarily

RMiller
03-27-19, 09:39
Go with the P01. It's kind of like the G19, enough to hold onto, small enough to CC.

I have about 6k through this one, it's my every day carry.

https://i.imgur.com/XH2XT7u.jpg?1

I liked it so much I picked up this guy:

https://i.imgur.com/GGPwPgl.jpg?1

Don Quijote
03-27-19, 10:07
Go with the P01

Did you even read the original post and look at the photos? Both pistols (P-01 and 75D compact) are exactly the same.

However, I agree that the CZ metal-framed compacts are some of the finest all-round pistols ever.

The are superior to both the P-07 (which I have owned before) and P10C (which I have shot before)

ramairthree
03-27-19, 10:30
Weren't a small number of P-01s made with steel frames? Shouldn't the 75D have a steel frame, as well?

Yes, I can’t remember the two part numbers for them.
Just started showing up, I don’t think they were ever listed on the website.

And a third part number, either a compact or PO1 in SS.

RMiller
03-27-19, 10:54
Did you even read the original post and look at the photos? Both pistols (P-01 and 75D compact) are exactly the same.

However, I agree that the CZ metal-framed compacts are some of the finest all-round pistols ever.

The are superior to both the P-07 (which I have owned before) and P10C (which I have shot before)

The original post said nothing about the 75 D being a compact. I was picturing a CZ75BD.

However, I now see that the post with photos a few down show them both as being compact.

The CZ75D Compact, I'd say opt for it. That's what my black one technically is. It's a difference in roll stamps on the slide. It seems a little smoother and "put together" than the Urban Gray P-01 Omega. Could just be me, could be the omega trigger setup.

The silver barrel, and now trigger (I added a CZ 85 Combat trigger) accent the black pistol rather well. The trigger isn't just aesthetics though, it has a bit less curve to it and far more comfortable than what came stock on it. The stock curved trigger would rub my finger raw (on the bottom) after doing a lot of drills on DA .

All said, I don't think the OP can go wrong.

RMiller
03-27-19, 11:15

There were some, and still are some floating around. They typically have a manual safety.

The SP-01 compact is a hens tooth. Steel frame. Ambi Decockers, but takes 14rd mags. I've only ever seen one, and that's not in person. Just pictures.

ralph
03-27-19, 19:51
There were some, and still are some floating around. They typically have a manual safety.

The SP-01 compact is a hens tooth. Steel frame. Ambi Decockers, but takes 14rd mags. I've only ever seen one, and that's not in person. Just pictures.

I have one...it's really a shame CZ dosen't make these with an alloy frame..The upswept beavertail is a huge improvement over what they have now... I figure if they ever did make them with a alloy frame, they'd sell like hotcakes.. I also have a P01, and a P07, the P07 being by current favorite, it's a excellant CCW.

kwelz
03-27-19, 20:25
Thanks guys.
Decided on why not both. Along with a P-07, and 22 unused CZ 75 mags for 10 bucks each. :D

This was one of the better estate sale collections I have seen. A couple M1As. Arsenal AKs. An MPX. No less than 10 CZ pistols. The list just keeps going on. I would say about 60K worth of guns total.

The gun boxes even had sticky notes in them listing the last cleaning date.

Don Quijote
03-28-19, 06:04
Decided on why not both. Along with a P-07, and 22 unused CZ 75 mags for 10 bucks each. :D.

Sweet haul

ralph
03-28-19, 09:19
Thanks guys.
Decided on why not both. Along with a P-07, and 22 unused CZ 75 mags for 10 bucks each. :D

This was one of the better estate sale collections I have seen. A couple M1As. Arsenal AKs. An MPX. No less than 10 CZ pistols. The list just keeps going on. I would say about 60K worth of guns total.

The gun boxes even had sticky notes in them listing the last cleaning date.

You did good!!! Now stay from CGW's site, or your cc will smoking...:D