PDA

View Full Version : Bad juju stuff.

Norseman
03-26-19, 12:58
Greg's thread on having his stolen Wilson returned kind of had a small side drift that got me to thinking about the whole "bad juju" thing.

What are some of the places and things that have given, at the individual level, a generally bad vibe. I.E; the bad juju.

For me, Things:

Anything Nazi marked. Especially guns. won't shoot, handle or even let them in my house. Couldn't pay me to take one. Epitome of bad juju in my world. judge me as you see fit.

Places:

Montezumas Castle in Las Vegas, NM. Can't explain why, but one of the few places that when I was in there the feeling of dread was overwhelming to the point of having a hard time breathing. Could not get out fast enough. Again, not sure of the "why", but will never set foot in that place again if I can help it.

Anyone else care to share?

MorphCross
03-26-19, 14:21
The only legitimate "bad juju" moment was when I was at a hotel in Jefferson City overnight. Late at night I woke up to the lever rattling on the door. The next morning room service discovered a human corpse in one of the rooms. Whether it was a Murder or death by natural causes I don't know nor do I care. Needless to say I have never been back to that particular hotel.

Sam
03-26-19, 15:11
Like I said in Greg's thread, the Lorraine Motel give me bad vibes.

SteyrAUG
03-26-19, 15:18
Greg's thread on having his stolen Wilson returned kind of had a small side drift that got me to thinking about the whole "bad juju" thing.

What are some of the places and things that have given, at the individual level, a generally bad vibe. I.E; the bad juju.

For me, Things:

Anything Nazi marked. Especially guns. won't shoot, handle or even let them in my house. Couldn't pay me to take one. Epitome of bad juju in my world. judge me as you see fit.

Places:

Montezumas Castle in Las Vegas, NM. Can't explain why, but one of the few places that when I was in there the feeling of dread was overwhelming to the point of having a hard time breathing. Could not get out fast enough. Again, not sure of the "why", but will never set foot in that place again if I can help it.

I understand why some folks won't touch third reich stuff. But I have a shit ton. My collection got started with all the things my grandfather brought back from the war. Since then I have collected all things world war II from uniforms, field gear, daggers and firearms from all the primary participants.

I don't think an inanimate object has an anima. I get why some want nothing to do with anything associated with WWII Germany, but I think if your grandfather was part of the Bataan death march you probably wouldn't want too many Japanese things in your home, let alone a bunch of Arisaka rifles or rising sun flags.

There are some things I won't collect. Guys who get gaga over black soap, lampshades and other things are not my crowd. It's not that I think these objects have negative energy, I'm just not interested in anything fabricated from humans. I can't even really have taxidermy in my house, just not my thing.

A friend of mine back in the 80s pulled guard duty at one of those camps, can't remember which and he swore it was the most haunted place he had ever been. Not that things were moving around or anything like that, but more he never felt like he was alone even when he was alone. Now that could have just been a matter of he knew what happened there so felt like it was haunted or maybe it was something else. Wasn't there, so I can't say for sure.

The only serious bad juju thing for me are people who do drugs. Can't be around them, don't want to know them.

Doc Safari
03-26-19, 15:22
When I was a teenager I had what might be characterized as a genuine encounter with a demonic entity.

Since then I've sort of been "gifted" with being able to pick up vibes. I can tell whether a small building, house, office, etc., is haunted just by walking into it.

As I stated in the other thread, I bought a Pennsylvania State Police Colt 6520 off GunsAmerica. It turns out you can Google the serial number and the state police's inventory comes up listing where your serial number was assigned. Mine was assigned to Belle Vernon, Troop B.

I used to work in law enforcement. I'm also a student of history, so any "genuine artifact" is always of interest to me. I actually sacrificed my Vietnam Tiger Stripe camo Colt 6920 to get the PA state police rifle. The 6520 is about as special a rifle can be to me not only for its history but because it's pretty close in configuration to the very first AR I ever owned in 1992.

The funny thing is, I get a weird vibe off it. This is actually the first time I ever can recall getting a "vibe" from an inanimate object, and I've been in many, many haunted locations over the years.

Being that the gun was assigned to some small precinct in a rural area, it's probably not likely it was ever used to take a life, but who knows?

I'm sure the history associated with it is putting a bias in my head, but still--there's that weird vibe. It's almost a creepy, but respectful feeling, like you picked up a bloody sword and knew it had been used to kill a very evil person or something. Handling it feels like it's got some "foreboding", "disquiet", "apprehension", or premonition of something bad attached to it.

Even though I've had many genuine paranormal encounters over the years, this is the one time I think it might be my imagination. My reverence for it having been a police weapon and my interest in history is doing something psychologically to me.

But it just creeps me out that my favorite rifle feels like I'm holding an object infused with some kind of trepidation every time I handle it.

Doc Safari
03-26-19, 15:24
Like I said in Greg's thread, the Lorraine Motel give me bad vibes.

My girlfriend and I paid $30 to take the Amador Hotel ghost tour in Las Cruces, New Mexico back in 2013. I felt an evil presence in that place, and several nights later felt the same evil presence in my house. I rebuked it in the name of Jesus and told it that it hadn't been invited to follow me home. I have had a couple of other creepy feelings since then but nothing spectacular. My girlfriend said that a radio came on by itself in an unoccupied room.

Doc Safari
03-26-19, 15:49
I understand why some folks won't touch third reich stuff. But I have a shit ton. My collection got started with all the things my grandfather brought back from the war. Since then I have collected all things world war II from uniforms, field gear, daggers and firearms from all the primary participants.

Tell us again about the army dress uniform coat with the engagement ring still in the pocket. That would have given me such heebie jeebies I think I'd have given up the hobby right then and there.

Sam
03-26-19, 15:53
Doc,
I'm not sure if you're familiar with the current state of the Lorraine motel, but it's not a motel anymore, it's a civil right museum. They preserved the area where MLK, Jr.'s room was and the balcony. Of course, the warehouse where J.E. Ray shot from is also still there, barely 50 yds or so away. An easy shot with a scoped rifle.

Anyway, the bad vibe came to me as we were walking around the exterior in the courtyard between the two buildings.

Doc Safari
03-26-19, 15:58
Doc,
I'm not sure if you're familiar with the current state of the Lorraine motel, but it's not a motel anymore, it's a civil right museum. They preserved the area where MLK, Jr.'s room was and the balcony. Of course, the warehouse where J.E. Ray shot from is also still there, barely 50 yds or so away. An easy shot with a scoped rifle.

Anyway, the bad vibe came to me as we were walking around the exterior in the courtyard between the two buildings.

I believe you. I've been in the courthouse in Lincoln, New Mexico where Billy the Kid escaped and killed two deputies on his way out. Didn't get even a hint of a creepy feeling. But we took a road trip to Tombstone Arizona one time. It's got a lot of haunted places and the creepiest feeling I got was in the Rose Tree Museum. Something DID NOT LIKE US being there. My girlfriend's daughter noticed it too.

So, yeah, if I ever get the chance I'd visit that museum just to see what I could pick up.

WickedWillis
03-26-19, 16:08

For me, Things:

Places:

I work in the welding supply industry. Working with compressed gases, and the like. I see Nazi cylinders, typically from Linde, almost daily. When the allies captured them, they turned the swastika into what looks like a window, for example;
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7829/46751104114_7ec2564c54.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2eeeCtd)2019-03-26_02-05-10 (https://flic.kr/p/2eeeCtd) by Willis (https://www.flickr.com/photos/140211446@N06/), on Flickr

I am still amazed at how many of these are still in circulation. Can't help but think they were used for much worse than just oxy fuel cutting and so-on.

Five_Point_Five_Six
03-26-19, 16:15
Around 2006 or 2007, I bought some AK mags and a surplus type 56 chest rig from ebay(back when they didn't care about gun parts). The chest rig smelled like death, and had what appeared to be blood stains on it. I wasn't really creeped out by it or anything, I just wasn't interested in trying to salvage it, so I tossed it in the garbage.

I put the garbage can out by the road the night before garbage pickup, which I've always done, and the next morning when I went out to leave for work, I found the garbage can tipped over with the sack ripped open and garbage all over the front yard. I don't know if it was coyotes or a neighbors dog that did it, but whatever it was took the chest rig with them. That was the first time anything had knocked our garbage can over in 3-4 years of living there, and it's never happened since. I try not to read too much into things like this, but it's always stuck with me.

Norseman
03-26-19, 16:43
I work in the welding supply industry. Working with compressed gases, and the like. I see Nazi cylinders, typically from Linde, almost daily. When the allies captured them, they turned the swastika into what looks like a window, for example;
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7829/46751104114_7ec2564c54.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2eeeCtd)2019-03-26_02-05-10 (https://flic.kr/p/2eeeCtd) by Willis (https://www.flickr.com/photos/140211446@N06/), on Flickr

I am still amazed at how many of these are still in circulation. Can't help but think they were used for much worse than just oxy fuel cutting and so-on.

That is interesting as hell, learn something new everyday.

I can not rationalize why the Nazi stuff gets under my skin so bad. My logical brain says it's dumb. The rest of me just can't get to the same place.

Doc Safari
03-26-19, 16:47

I can not rationalize why the Nazi stuff gets under my skin so bad. My logical brain says it's dumb. The rest of me just can't get to the same place.

My dad worked at White Sands Missile Range. One time I got to see some old V2 rocket frames that someone had pulled out of the desert. They still had the Nazi swastikas stamped into the frame joints.

SteyrAUG
03-26-19, 17:19
Tell us again about the army dress uniform coat with the engagement ring still in the pocket. That would have given me such heebie jeebies I think I'd have given up the hobby right then and there.

Wasn't anything really scary.

When I was a kid growing up I interested in anything WWII because of stories my grandfather told me. Again, uniforms, decorations or field gear...it was all fascinating to me. But I always treated it like kids who collect coins or baseball cards.

My grandparents also put out the word to their circle of friends that I was always looking for such things and as a result I usually got a "box of stuff" from someone who had no heirs and thought "at least I would take care of it and appreciate it."

Now even at 12 years old I knew in the back of my mind that a lot of this stuff belonged to someone no longer with us who was either killed in the war or died after the fact and nobody was willing to throw out his uniform and medals.

But even with that basic realization nothing really hit home until years later when I was going through a pretty cool Ike jacket and found what was either an engagement or wedding ring. In either case the widow put her ring in her husbands pocket and then probably forgot it was ever there when she gave me the uniform sometime in the early 80s.

It was many years later when I was reorganizing everything and happened to check pockets and that ring dropped out and I realized just how personal some of this stuff was.

Doc Safari
03-26-19, 17:24
Wasn't anything really scary.

When I was a kid growing up I interested in anything WWII because of stories my grandfather told me. Again, uniforms, decorations or field gear...it was all fascinating to me. But I always treated it like kids who collect coins or baseball cards.

My grandparents also put out the word to their circle of friends that I was always looking for such things and as a result I usually got a "box of stuff" from someone who had no heirs and thought "at least I would take care of it and appreciate it."

Now even at 12 years old I knew in the back of my mind that a lot of this stuff belonged to someone no longer with us who was either killed in the war or died after the fact and nobody was willing to throw out his uniform and medals.

But even with that basic realization nothing really hit home until years later when I was going through a pretty cool Ike jacket and found what was either an engagement or wedding ring. In either case the widow put her ring in her husbands pocket and then probably forgot it was ever there when she gave me the uniform sometime in the early 80s.

It was many years later when I was reorganizing everything and happened to check pockets and that ring dropped out and I realized just how personal some of this stuff was.

Dang. That story gives me chills.

That GI may have lied wounded in a foxhole, or some shithole hospital somewhere, and died wondering how he was going to get back to her. Or he bought it instantly from an exploding shell or something and never knew what hit him.

He more than likely never had a chance to write to her and tell her to prepare herself for his demise.

That poor woman's hopes and dreams for the rest of her life probably died with a visit from two military guys, or a letter, or telegram, or whatever. She probably cried for weeks and finally out of grief put the engagement ring in that pocket in an effort to "keep the two together." She may have remained broken-hearted and single forever, or she may have married someone whom she loved but who never quite lived up to the one she "lost in the war."

She lived an entire life after that incident, and that expensive ring that some GI scrimped and saved for, or finagled from someone he knew just became a forgotten gesture.

Bad juju for sure.

SteyrAUG
03-26-19, 17:31

We should probably keep in mind that for almost 10 years everything in Germany was nazi and the postal inspector probably had a swastika on his uniform somewhere. I understand what that stuff represents, but not everyone worked in a death camp and not every firearm killed somebody.

Then there are trophies, what if your uncle or some other relative fought in the war and captured a Luger. Would that still bother you? I knew a guy who was jewish and had flags his grandfathered captured in his firearms room.

Along those lines, when European jews in Palestine fought to create Israel, one of the primary rifles used were German K-98s complete with waffenampts. This is why I can't assign a presence to objects, is that rifle evil for helping the Germans fight their war of oppression or is the rifle good because it helped those who were being oppressed fight for their independence?

To me it's just a rifle with lots of history.

I understand association, for example I wouldn't want to own anything used by a serial killer, but here I don't think the object has any "juju" I just don't want anything to do with that stuff. I wouldn't want to own artwork by Manson for example.

Doc Safari
03-26-19, 17:33
Another story.

My dad was 74, a healthy old geezer and in pretty good shape, but was getting old enough that he didn't have the hand strength to cycle the action on a semi auto pistol anymore. I suggested one of my .357 magnum Ruger Security Six revolvers because he could shoot it single action and he did have the hand strength for that.

I basically gave it to him since he had given me a Glock he didn't like.

We took it out and shot a couple of cylinder fulls through it. He was overjoyed. He immediately went home, set up his reloading bench, and started cranking out .357 and .38 shells for the next range trip.

Twenty-four hours later he took to his death bed with cancer and he was gone two months later.

Doc Safari
03-26-19, 17:38
Along those lines, when European jews in Palestine fought to create Israel, one of the primary rifles used were German K-98s complete with waffenampts. This is why I can't assign a presence to objects, is that rifle evil for helping the Germans fight their war of oppression or is the rifle good because it helped those who were being oppressed fight for their independence?.

Years ago someone who claimed to have been in the IDF showed me some photos of old beat up German Panzer IV's the Arabs had been using. Most were destroyed but he claimed they captured some. I don't remember which war it was but I found it ironic that the modern enemies of Israel were still trying to kill them with Nazi equipment.

SteyrAUG
03-26-19, 17:46

That GI may have lied wounded in a foxhole, or some shithole hospital somewhere, and died wondering how he was going to get back to her. Or he bought it instantly from an exploding shell or something and never knew what hit him.

He more than likely never had a chance to write to her and tell her to prepare herself for his demise.

That poor woman's hopes and dreams for the rest of her life probably died with a visit from two military guys, or a letter, or telegram, or whatever. She probably cried for weeks and finally out of grief put the engagement ring in that pocket in an effort to "keep the two together." She may have remained broken-hearted and single forever, or she may have married someone whom she loved but who never quite lived up to the one she "lost in the war."

She lived an entire life after that incident, and that expensive ring that some GI scrimped and saved for, or finagled from someone he knew just became a forgotten gesture.

Bad juju for sure.

Might have went like that, but unlikely as his uniform was perfect.

He either died before he could get back to her and she simply kept the ring with his other effects or when he died after the war she put the ring in the box with his uniform and medals.

The ring was rather simple so hard to say if it was an engagement or wedding ring.

When I found the ring many years later I wondered if I should try and return it to her but I didn't know if it would provide comfort in her later years or simply open old wounds that she had put behind her.

Doc Safari
03-26-19, 17:50
When I found the ring many years later I wondered if I should try and return it to her but I didn't know if it would provide comfort in her later years or simply open old wounds that she had put behind her.

Honestly I think you did the right thing. My mom had to go to assisted living due to dementia, and I learned she was probably happier not "remembering" too much about her old life. I began to cut my visits short, because if I stayed too long the memories that she was someplace other than her home would come drifting back and she would become depressed. I stayed away for almost a full week and next time I visited her she was under the impression that she had been in the assisted living facility for several years instead of just a few weeks. She didn't ask when she's going home or become depressed. She had forgotten most of it or assumed it was long in the past. I had to admit my presence was causing her to be unhappy because it made her realize her plight, so I started only visiting once a week or so and not staying too long. She seemed a lot happier that way.

Norseman
03-26-19, 17:53
We should probably keep in mind that for almost 10 years everything in Germany was nazi and the postal inspector probably had a swastika on his uniform somewhere. I understand what that stuff represents, but not everyone worked in a death camp and not every firearm killed somebody.

Then there are trophies, what if your uncle or some other relative fought in the war and captured a Luger. Would that still bother you? I knew a guy who was jewish and had flags his grandfathered captured in his firearms room.

Along those lines, when European jews in Palestine fought to create Israel, one of the primary rifles used were German K-98s complete with waffenampts. This is why I can't assign a presence to objects, is that rifle evil for helping the Germans fight their war of oppression or is the rifle good because it helped those who were being oppressed fight for their independence?

I understand association, for example I wouldn't want to own anything used by a serial killer, but here I don't think the object has any "juju" I just don't want anything to do with that stuff. I wouldn't want to own artwork by Manson for example.

My grandfather had a captured Luger, my uncle still has it along with his 1911. That's not where this comes from.

I have no issues what so ever with others collecting this stuff and would never state otherwise. yes, it is illogical, yes, it is soul less stuff, and yes, it is completely stupid to allow it to give me the heebie jeebies they way it does. Yet, here I sit. Same concept as those that have a fear of heights even when they have never fallen from anything. Just weirdness.

I sincerely appreciate folks like you that keep that history alive, because it's important.

Doc Safari
03-26-19, 17:56
Might have went like that, but unlikely as his uniform was perfect.

He either died before he could get back to her and she simply kept the ring with his other effects or when he died after the war she put the ring in the box with his uniform and medals.

The ring was rather simple so hard to say if it was an engagement or wedding ring.

Maybe I'm mistaken about how the military does things, but I took your story as they probably shipped his body home and she got to go to his funeral. Maybe because they were married or engaged she got his other uniforms instead of his mother. I don't even know if the military would even give the family all of a serviceman's stuff, but that's how I initially took your story.

26 Inf
03-26-19, 18:12

If I am correct 2-59+ means the tank was put into service in February 1959 and certified for 10% overpressure.

Anyhow, 1959 was after WWII.

The swastika (as a character 卐 or 卍) is a geometrical figure and an ancient religious icon in the cultures of Eurasia, used as a symbol of divinity and spirituality in Indian religions. In the Western world, it was a symbol of auspiciousness and good luck until the 1930s, when it became a feature of Nazi symbolism as an emblem of Aryan identity and, as a result, it was stigmatized by its association with ideas of racism and antisemitism. Wiki

As you may know, numerous businesses used the swastika as a symbol before the Nazi's co-opted the symbol.

Here is an example:

I don't think the story of Nazi cylinders has legs when you consider that after WWII ended we were junking equipment in place rather than bringing it home. In view of that the mother lode of Nazi gas cylinders probably wouldn't have made the boat.

KUSA
03-26-19, 18:18
When I was a teenager I had what might be characterized as a genuine encounter with a demonic entity.

Please explain what happened.

WickedWillis
03-26-19, 18:25
If I am correct 2-59+ means the tank was put into service in February 1959 and certified for 10% overpressure.

Anyhow, 1959 was after WWII.

The swastika (as a character 卐 or 卍) is a geometrical figure and an ancient religious icon in the cultures of Eurasia, used as a symbol of divinity and spirituality in Indian religions. In the Western world, it was a symbol of auspiciousness and good luck until the 1930s, when it became a feature of Nazi symbolism as an emblem of Aryan identity and, as a result, it was stigmatized by its association with ideas of racism and antisemitism. Wiki

As you may know, numerous businesses used the swastika as a symbol before the Nazi's co-opted the symbol.

Here is an example:

I don't think the story of Nazi cylinders has legs when you consider that after WWII ended we were junking equipment in place rather than bringing it home. In view of that the mother lode of Nazi gas cylinders probably wouldn't have made the boat.

You are correct about the date being in 59, which as we both know is after WW2. However, that could have been the first time it was hydro'd in the US. I have seen some that were not made into windows, that are legit swastikas still, in fact I believe our GM still has a cylinder like that, I will find out.

The oldest hydro date that I have seen on a cylinder was 1919. Just a quick google search for "Linde Swastika" and you will see I'm not making this stuff up.

Doc Safari
03-26-19, 18:30
Please explain what happened.

Well I'm not sure everyone wants this to turn into a paranormal encounter thread. I don't tell it very often.

KUSA
03-26-19, 18:41
Well I'm not sure everyone wants this to turn into a paranormal encounter thread. I don't tell it very often.

I certainly respect that. I made a thread just for it.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?214320-The-paranormal-thread

SteyrAUG
03-26-19, 22:13
My grandfather had a captured Luger, my uncle still has it along with his 1911. That's not where this comes from.

I have no issues what so ever with others collecting this stuff and would never state otherwise. yes, it is illogical, yes, it is soul less stuff, and yes, it is completely stupid to allow it to give me the heebie jeebies they way it does. Yet, here I sit. Same concept as those that have a fear of heights even when they have never fallen from anything. Just weirdness.

I sincerely appreciate folks like you that keep that history alive, because it's important.

I get it. People have their "things", there is stuff I want nothing to do with also.

Yours is just a common one and usually without the realization that you at least possess.

MountainRaven
03-27-19, 00:14

For me, Things:

Places:

What about a rifle with a Swastika, "7.62 MM," and a Star of David on it?

Bad juju for sure.

Or he survived the war, came home, lived a long and happy life, and died sometime later. For some reason he kept his uniform. Eventually his widow finds the uniform and puts the ring in it. Maybe it was the uniform he was wearing when he proposed.

ThirdWatcher
03-27-19, 04:24
I won’t have that “Punisher” logo on anything I own, reminds me too much of the genocide that occurred in the 20th Century.

A co-worker once gave me an old German bayonet (maybe WW1 era) and when I showed it to my wife she got a really bad feeling about it (and she is very intuitive, so much so that I defer to her judgement when she has a bad feeling about a place when we’re traveling).

Firefly
03-27-19, 05:53
I won’t have a Punisher logo on anything because it has been co-opted by queerosexuals, especially the blue line ones.

Which is sad because I still have my 80s style Punisher Skull T shirt I got in High School because I just liked the comics.

Swastika stuff doesn’t bother me anymore than a hammer and sickle. I just don’t own anything with it because I don’t care about old obsolete euro guns.

Honestly the older I get, the less superstitious I am. I’ve even read (Dun DunDUUUUN) the Quran. Not a religion for me but interesting ideas.

I have my core beliefs that don’t change but all this extra juju talk is kinda virtue signaling.

I get called a communist and an atheist a lot by people who think they sorta know me yet I go to church and hate paying taxes (but still do) so screw it all

But if you all want your lives to be guided or dictated by graven images; be my guest. Free country.

We can argue numbers all day but people have been murdered in cold blood over the cross, swastika, crescent moon, star of david, hamner and sickle, pretty much any flag, etc

I furthermore don’t think God has any “chosen people”. You believe in Him, He believes in you. That’s where it starts and stops with me. Anything else is man-made pomposity

AndyLate
03-27-19, 05:56
I went with a buddy to look at a truck for sale in Tacoma WA. When John knocked on the door, it was answered by a huge, tatted up white guy with a nazi flag hanging on the wall behind him. John didn't miss a beat and told the guy he knocked because he was interested in the truck but never mind, goodbye. Big aryan nation guy offered to get the keys, etc. and John kept saying no and walking to my car.

I was freaked out, but John said he grew up around guys like that and that he almost pulled him out the door and whooped his ass when he saw the flag. John is a great dude and a pretty big old boy himself.

ThirdWatcher
03-27-19, 07:26
Honestly, I never even heard of Punisher comics. Only comics I ever bought when I was a kid was “Sergeant Rock”. I don’t consider myself particularly superstitious and I couldn’t care less about what logo others wear or put on their weaponry either. I do believe in going with your instincts though. I have seen pure evil a few times and I prefer to avoid it if possible.

Whiskey_Bravo
03-27-19, 07:37
Visited the Dachau concentration camp while in Germany a couple of weeks ago. Cold and rainy day. Talk about bad juju.

Watrdawg
03-27-19, 07:51
The most creeped out I have ever been was 1988 when I was stationed in Germany and our unit went on a tour of Dachau and then to Oktoberfest. Very overcast and dreary day. Almost raining and the clouds/fog was right on top of us. Not much of a ceiling at all. The air felt really heavy. As we were going through Dachau and walking through the museum part and then the grounds where the barracks were and then the gallows and ovens it was like you could feel the weight of the souls of all of the people that had died or were killed there. The longer we were there the more depressing and heavy things became. I've never drank to drown out bad feelings or depression etc. but when we got to Oktoberfest and hit the beer tents I could down the first Mass of beer fast enough. Just for those that don't know a Mass is equal to a liter. I drank 5 Liter's of beer there. We all were drunk as skunks. I'll never go back to anyplace like Dachau again.

Watrdawg
03-27-19, 07:52
Visited the Dachau concentration camp while in Germany a couple of weeks ago. Cold and rainy day. Talk about bad juju.

Pretty wild you mention Dachau as I was writing about it also!

sundance435
03-27-19, 07:52
Years ago someone who claimed to have been in the IDF showed me some photos of old beat up German Panzer IV's the Arabs had been using. Most were destroyed but he claimed they captured some. I don't remember which war it was but I found it ironic that the modern enemies of Israel were still trying to kill them with Nazi equipment.

Not to sidetrack, but - the Syrians received quite a few of them from France and Czechoslovakia. They were used throughout the '67 war.

Whiskey_Bravo
03-27-19, 07:56
The most creeped out I have ever been was 1988 when I was stationed in Germany and our unit went on a tour of Dachau and then to Oktoberfest. Very overcast and dreary day. Almost raining and the clouds/fog was right on top of us. Not much of a ceiling at all. The air felt really heavy. As we were going through Dachau and walking through the museum part and then the grounds where the barracks were and then the gallows and ovens it was like you could feel the weight of the souls of all of the people that had died or were killed there. The longer we were there the more depressing and heavy things became. I've never drank to drown out bad feelings or depression etc. but when we got to Oktoberfest and hit the beer tents I could down the first Mass of beer fast enough. Just for those that don't know a Mass is equal to a liter. I drank 5 Liter's of beer there. We all were drunk as skunks. I'll never go back to anyplace like Dachau again.

Very similar experience. You could just feel the evil that had taken place there. Glad I did it but not something I care to do again. The bus and train ride back to Munich was quite. We went directly to Hofbräuhaus back in Munich and had a couple of liters.

sundance435
03-27-19, 07:59

Yeah, that's one of the few places where I've felt a sense of "bad juju". I didn't have any physiological response to anything, hair on the neck, etc. - it was just more of a feeling, knowing what went on there. The gas chamber, packed with other tourists, created an almost palpable sense of dread and terror. There were also some survivors giving a talk to their family in one of the recreated barracks (at least that's what an employee told me) - everyone was weeping and it was truly heartbreaking.

Averageman
03-27-19, 08:05

Three of us went on that tour, one of the guys turned around and walked out. He said "I just felt overwhelmingly sad and depressed" I don't think there was anything spiritual about it. I think the magnitude of what happened there just became too much for him.

Whiskey_Bravo
03-27-19, 08:17
I was telling a coworker about the visiting Dachau and he asked if I took any pictures while I was there. Nah man, I didn't take any pictures.

Hmac
03-27-19, 08:30
Evil exists in the hearts of men....we've seen examples of it throughout the history of humanity. But I can't grasp the concept of any supernatural or demonic source.

Sam
03-27-19, 09:03
These were personal. But I felt closure more than anything.

https://i.imgur.com/0ioBZ5x.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ec5dVXL.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/xjJnamU.jpg

Watrdawg
03-27-19, 09:06
You could feel the sorrow at Dachau. I couldn't feel an evil there just the sorrow.

The house I live in now, and have for the last 20 years, the previous owner committed suicide in the attic. He hung himself and wasn't found for 3 days afterwards. There is still the stain in the floor where his bowels released after he died. When my wife found the house there was a lot of unusual things about the situation. I was in Dallas working and she called me up about it. She said she had found a house and wanted to tell me about it. She said it was perfect for our family, we were having another kid, but something happened there. I said what. She said the previous owner had committed suicide there and did that bother me. I said no as long as he isn't haunting the place. If he is as long as he isn't throwing can's and crap at us and wants to be a friendly ghost no big deal. She wrote the check for the earnest money deposit and it was on her birthday. 10/26. The check number was 1026. The street number was the same as our previous one. Our insurance agent was his agent and lastly my wife had been set up with the previous owner on a blind date a few years before we got married. Every now and then when I'm in the attic and getting something out of storage and I see the stain below where he hung himself I get a bit creeped out. Thankfully though I've never felt his presence there. Regardless I'm careful to do anything in the house that may open the door to something negative coming about.

yoni
03-27-19, 09:18

I built several sniper rifles back in the day using the actions out of those old rifles. Use the action, get a modern barrel and fit it to the action, then we would mill a stock out of aluminum. I even had one where we put a galil folding stock on it.

I always loved those rifles, but did wonder if or how many Jews had their heads blown off with it. But in it's new life it was saving Jewish lives.

Arik
03-27-19, 09:25

Since then I've sort of been "gifted" with being able to pick up vibes. I can tell whether a small building, house, office, etc., is haunted just by walking into it.

As I stated in the other thread, I bought a Pennsylvania State Police Colt 6520 off GunsAmerica. It turns out you can Google the serial number and the state police's inventory comes up listing where your serial number was assigned. Mine was assigned to Belle Vernon, Troop B.

I used to work in law enforcement. I'm also a student of history, so any "genuine artifact" is always of interest to me. I actually sacrificed my Vietnam Tiger Stripe camo Colt 6920 to get the PA state police rifle. The 6520 is about as special a rifle can be to me not only for its history but because it's pretty close in configuration to the very first AR I ever owned in 1992.

The funny thing is, I get a weird vibe off it. This is actually the first time I ever can recall getting a "vibe" from an inanimate object, and I've been in many, many haunted locations over the years.

Being that the gun was assigned to some small precinct in a rural area, it's probably not likely it was ever used to take a life, but who knows?

I'm sure the history associated with it is putting a bias in my head, but still--there's that weird vibe. It's almost a creepy, but respectful feeling, like you picked up a bloody sword and knew it had been used to kill a very evil person or something. Handling it feels like it's got some "foreboding", "disquiet", "apprehension", or premonition of something bad attached to it.

Even though I've had many genuine paranormal encounters over the years, this is the one time I think it might be my imagination. My reverence for it having been a police weapon and my interest in history is doing something psychologically to me.

But it just creeps me out that my favorite rifle feels like I'm holding an object infused with some kind of trepidation every time I handle it.

The town you mentioned is only an hour away from Pittsburgh and it's not like it's an isolated town with nothing around. Cross a street and you're in the next town. So the state police barracks there probably patroled a large section of that general area. Also, it's pretty much a shit hole. Lots of abandoned factories and boarded up houses.

Troop B Belle Vernon is just that substation

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-27-19, 11:32
Anyone get the hebbe jebbies at the Roman Coleseum? Roughly a million people killed on a couple of acres there over the centuries- to cheering crowds no less.

Doc Safari
03-27-19, 11:33
Anyone get the hebbe jebbies at the Roman Coleseum? Roughly a million people killed on a couple of acres there over the centuries- to cheering crowds no less.

I get the heebie jeebies that I'll never have enough money to even visit the Roman Collosseum.

Norseman
03-27-19, 11:34
What about a rifle with a Swastika, "7.62 MM," and a Star of David on it?

I can't honestly say, would have to cross that bridge if/when it ever happens as I have never had the opportunity to actually see one.

For me it is kinda along the same vein as to why I would never want to own the "Son of of Sam" gun, or Saddam Husseins Glock, or spend a night in Ted Bundy's house. Purely psychological, yes. But, it's still "bad juju" in my world.

Someone mentioned earlier (might have been the paranormal thread) about skinwalkers. For the tribal communities around me, this topic is bad juju in the extreme, and very real for these folks. So much so that when it happens they will shut down entire communities to perform cleansing ceremonies.

Interesting stuff.

Doc Safari
03-27-19, 11:37
The town you mentioned is only an hour away from Pittsburgh and it's not like it's an isolated town with nothing around. Cross a street and you're in the next town. So the state police barracks there probably patroled a large section of that general area. Also, it's pretty much a shit hole. Lots of abandoned factories and boarded up houses.

Troop B Belle Vernon is just that substation

Wow. I looked at pics online and it looked like a sleepy little village. So that makes me wonder if my rifle was indeed used in some actual crime fighting.

Arik
03-27-19, 11:45
Wow. I looked at pics online and it looked like a sleepy little village. So that makes me wonder if my rifle was indeed used in some actual crime fighting.I put the Google pin in like a dozen random places and none looked that good! Not saying there isn't a better part but ....

Doc Safari
03-27-19, 11:50
I put the Google pin in like a dozen random places and none looked that good! Not saying there isn't a better part but ....

The pics I saw looked like the average small town around here: a main strip of old brick and mortar buildings and not much more.

Sam
03-27-19, 11:54
You could feel the sorrow at Dachau. I couldn't feel an evil there just the sorrow.

The house I live in now, and have for the last 20 years, the previous owner committed suicide in the attic. He hung himself and wasn't found for 3 days afterwards. There is still the stain in the floor where his bowels released after he died. When my wife found the house there was a lot of unusual things about the situation. I was in Dallas working and she called me up about it. She said she had found a house and wanted to tell me about it. She said it was perfect for our family, we were having another kid, but something happened there. I said what. She said the previous owner had committed suicide there and did that bother me. I said no as long as he isn't haunting the place. If he is as long as he isn't throwing can's and crap at us and wants to be a friendly ghost no big deal. She wrote the check for the earnest money deposit and it was on her birthday. 10/26. The check number was 1026. The street number was the same as our previous one. Our insurance agent was his agent and lastly my wife had been set up with the previous owner on a blind date a few years before we got married. Every now and then when I'm in the attic and getting something out of storage and I see the stain below where he hung himself I get a bit creeped out. Thankfully though I've never felt his presence there. Regardless I'm careful to do anything in the house that may open the door to something negative coming about.

Sheesh, I wouldn't have bought that house. Glad it doesn't bother you.

Watrdawg
03-27-19, 14:21

He's moved on and it's been a great happy home for us. Maybe all of that positive energy has been good.

sundance435
03-27-19, 15:07

Did you do the underground part? That was kind of surreal. I didn't get weirded out, but I was awestruck trying to imagine it in all its splendor, especially as a gladiator making an entrance. It's truly one of the few sites that met and exceeded my expectations - the rest of Rome, not so much.

Pi3
03-27-19, 16:39
"What are some of the places and things that have given, at the individual level, a generally bad vibe. I.E; the bad juju.
For me, Things:Anything Nazi marked. Especially guns. won't shoot, handle or even let them in my house. Couldn't pay me to take one. Epitome of bad juju in my world. judge me as you see fit."

Funny, It seems like military collectors are especially drawn to the Nazi WWII era, perhaps only matched by the American civil war period. Not just the weapons, but just about anything war related. I heard an exhibitor at a show talking about how he went to Germany and purchased war era stuff from a lady's attic that her father had left.

Five_Point_Five_Six
03-27-19, 19:13
In the summer of 2004, a man at my church told my brother in law and I that he thought his place was being watched, and that he felt like someone was entering his home while he was away. A little back story, Jim had brain cancer twice, both times requiring surgery, chemo, and radiation. His thinking could be a little off at times so we thought maybe he was imagining it. He was around 60 years old, and his health had left him thin and frail. I was young at the time, 24 years old, but I offered to stop by and look around the woods by his house. I found some old soda cans and other trash, but there were kids who lived in the area so I didn't think much of it. I recommended he get some cameras and notify the sheriffs department, he did not do the former and I don't think he did the latter either.

In March of 2005, the Pastor of our church stopped by to visit Jim and found him beaten and stabbed to death. A day or two later a man was arrested in possession of a few of Jim's firearms. Turns out he was a transient that Jim had fed, clothed, let him shower, even let him sleep on his couch a few times. Jim had caught him stealing a few bucks outta his wallet, so he told him he wasn't welcome back. Jim was a creature of habit, and did certain things on certain days every week like clockwork. The POS had been returning on the days he knew Jim would be out for several hours, and entering the home using the spare key that Jim kept outside. He'd take a few sodas and some snacks, knowing when Jim left on those days. It's believed Jim either broke routine and didn't leave that day or he came home early and found the guy in his garage and was killed. He's been tried and convicted 3 times now, the first two being overturned due to technicalities. He ended up getting 36 years.

I've carried around some guilt ever since, feeling like there was maybe something else I could have done for him, even though deep down I know there probably wasn't. He had no family around, just his friends from church and a ham radio club he belonged to. Whenever I drive by his place, now occupied by someone else, it hits kinda hard.

ralph
03-27-19, 20:18

I was a pipefitter for 32years... I've handled 100's of bottles in that time..I've heard that bullshit story over and over..I've seen the same mark on Linde bottles from the 50's, 60's. If you look on your pic, the earliest date on the bottle is Febuary, 1959.. A little late for Nazi Germany. Very probably, that was when the bottle was made, and inspected, 5 years later, just like they're supposed to be, we see it was inspected again in April 1964, and then it took a little vacation, and showed up again in June 1974...I've seen bottles that went back to 1912, The story about the Linde bottles and the window like mark is just pure horseshit... More than likely, any bottles that had any Nazi markings were ground off a long time ago..

sgtrock82
03-28-19, 11:09
I was a pipefitter for 32years... I've handled 100's of bottles in that time..I've heard that bullshit story over and over..I've seen the same mark on Linde bottles from the 50's, 60's. If you look on your pic, the earliest date on the bottle is Febuary, 1959.. A little late for Nazi Germany. Very probably, that was when the bottle was made, and inspected, 5 years later, just like they're supposed to be, we see it was inspected again in April 1964, and then it took a little vacation, and showed up again in June 1974...I've seen bottles that went back to 1912, The story about the Linde bottles and the window like mark is just pure horseshit... More than likely, any bottles that had any Nazi markings were ground off a long time ago..That and Germans didnt just apply swasticas to every bit of gear in sight and never that large. Being a tested an inspected item a gas clinder MAY have been marked by the reich but even the waffenamt on the breech of an artillery piece isnt even half that size

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Firefly
03-28-19, 11:22
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/85/Patch_of_the_45th_Infantry_Division_%281924-1939%29.svg/579px-Patch_of_the_45th_Infantry_Division_%281924-1939%29.svg.png

Does this patch creep you out? Anger you? Make you offended?

Is it some neo-nazi alt right insignia? A division of the Waffen SS?

It’s the 45th Infantry Division who used it to honor the Native Americans who, like many people esp in Asia, used this symbol in religion and ceremony

A graven image in and of itself is not good or bad. But the people who appropriate it is another matter.

I don’t believe in iconoclasm. Because one day your innocuous logo may be deemed “problematic”

ETA. We should have kept it, went to Europe with it, and let them know who was right and who was wrong with it.

Doc Safari
03-28-19, 11:23
Funny. The Yearbook for New Mexico State University was called "The Swastika" right up until 1983. I have that last Swastika Yearbook.

MountainRaven
03-28-19, 12:50
It occurs to me that the Nazis put their swastika in a, "diamond," configuration, rather than a, "square," one, making it even less likely that the, "windows," on those gas thingies are defaced Nazi swastikas.

ralph
03-28-19, 15:04
That and Germans didnt just apply swasticas to every bit of gear in sight and never that large. Being a tested an inspected item a gas clinder MAY have been marked by the reich but even the waffenamt on the breech of an artillery piece isnt even half that size

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

I agree, I've seen my fair share of waffenamt's and I also agree that the nazi's did'nt mark everything in sight.. Things like oxy-actelene bottles they probably could give a shit less about..As the war went on, they were probably more concerned if they even had oxygen or actelene to put in the bottles... Like I said, I've heard this bullshit story starting when I was an apprentice..and it continues on to this day.. I will admit, it's neat when you find a bottle who's collar is marked " Property of U.S. Army" or "Property of U.S. Navy," or find one that has 4-5 rows of inspection dates on them and they start going back to WWI...You have to wonder where that bottle has been and what it's seen...

Norseman
03-28-19, 15:43
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/85/Patch_of_the_45th_Infantry_Division_%281924-1939%29.svg/579px-Patch_of_the_45th_Infantry_Division_%281924-1939%29.svg.png

Does this patch creep you out? Anger you? Make you offended?

Is it some neo-nazi alt right insignia? A division of the Waffen SS?

It’s the 45th Infantry Division who used it to honor the Native Americans who, like many people esp in Asia, used this symbol in religion and ceremony

A graven image in and of itself is not good or bad. But the people who appropriate it is another matter.

I don’t believe in iconoclasm. Because one day your innocuous logo may be deemed “problematic”

ETA. We should have kept it, went to Europe with it, and let them know who was right and who was wrong with it.

Well, if this is directed at me, since I did start this whole thing, no, it does not.

I am fully aware of the Native American history of that symbol. I am also fully aware of the difference between that symbol and Nazi memorabilia, paraphernalia, and Nazi proof marks on guns. Plus, I am pretty confident that I was pretty clear I stated "Nazi" and not "symbol" in relation to what I was trying to convey. I also believe I was fairly clear that I have no issues with others doing what they want in terms of collecting that stuff.

I make no apologies or excuses for my stance on it. Not sure why it has created such a "bur under the saddle" moment, but I guess that in today's world stating something weird's you out is the same as virtue signalling. Who woulda known. Funny thing that whole virtue signalling.

MODS: It is starting to look like this thread is drifting beyond it's original intent. My apologies for the apparent can of worms and will be moving on.

Firefly
03-28-19, 15:54
Naw not directed at you. Just a general statement.

I just think a buncha dudes wearing the Native Swastika shoving a bayonet up the asses of Krauts and Italians and maybe a Frenchman or two in WWII would’ve been badass and we should have kept onward to moscow while we were at it like Patton wanted

jpmuscle
03-28-19, 16:39
Naw not directed at you. Just a general statement.

I just think a buncha dudes wearing the Native Swastika shoving a bayonet up the asses of Krauts and Italians and maybe a Frenchman or two in WWII would’ve been badass and we should have kept onward to moscow while we were at it like Patton wanted

One of the love death and robots episodes addresses what ifs of Hitlers’ demise. You should check it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoshNC
03-29-19, 07:36

Uh, yeah. I agree. There is no way I would buy or live in that home.

Watrdawg
03-29-19, 08:41
Uh, yeah. I agree. There is no way I would buy or live in that home.

The house had been on the market over a year. We made a stupid low offer and they accepted. Saved me almost $60K. Couldn't pass it up. Cul De Sac full of kids in a great neighborhood close enough for me to walk to work if need be. Worked out perfectly and price was low enough that we were able to do a 15yr loan and now it's paid for. Win Win for us.

Pi3
04-09-19, 13:41
A friend did something similar back in the day. A man fell asleep smoking in bed and died in the ensuing fire. My friend bought it cheep and put a lot of work into fixing it up. There were no bad vibes in the place. He and his wife slept in the bedroom where the guy perished.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
04-09-19, 15:42
Bad juju?

Fish from less than reputable restaurants.

Ice cream shops right before closing (you know those waffle cones are stale!)

Seeing somebody itching/wiping their nose all while knowing you are gonna have to shake their hand.

I don't believe in the scary ghost bad juju, but diarrhea is scary enough for me.